• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Is it possible to join every covenant, get whatever item you need and then, qui through the guy in the bell tower and join another without any penalty whatsoever?

Xanathus said:
360 makes you sit through intro credits every time you quit to main menu.

Which takes 15 seconds or so, but yeah, it's annoying.

Performance on 360 is well, not bad. New Londo and Blighttown drop frames like mad but that's the way the game is I guess.

I got to Lost Izalith recently and it runs badly in there too, but I think it does too on PS3.

Septimius

So i'm also about to head to the archieves. I already know that I
will die against seath. Can I retrieve those souls with ease, or do I need ring of sacrifice?

Kweh said:
Out of interest, how is the framerate in Blighttown on the PS3 version ?
There have been varying reports. Some people, including myself, didn't have any noticeable framerate drops in blighttown. The vast majority did have problems there, however.

Xanathus

Framerate was very bad on PS3 in certain areas, Blighttown especially, but I think it got fixed up in a patch because I don't notice it anymore on subsequent playthroughs. It ain't 60 FPS but it is acceptable now.

falconzss

Septimius said:
So i'm also about to head to the archieves. I already know that I
will die against seath. Can I retrieve those souls with ease, or do I need ring of sacrifice?

You'll need the Ring of Sacrifice AFAIK.
Someone correct me if i am wrong.

Edit:
It seems like you can make it back but i doubt you will make it on your first try without dying.

Aguirre

tgyrF.jpg

maomaoIYP

I hate to admit this, but playing a pure melee character is dog-shit difficult. I have beaten the game multiple times already, gotten all the achievements, but with a pure melee character I cannot even beat the fucking bell gargoyles. I beat the stray demon with no problem, but once the 2nd bell gargoyle comes out I am completely fucked. I'm trying not to use the damn gold pine resins, and everytime the fucking 2nd gargoyle puts me into stun lock.

Sotha Sil

maomaoIYP said:
I hate to admit this, but playing a pure melee character is dog-shit difficult. I have beaten the game multiple times already, gotten all the achievements, but with a pure melee character I cannot even beat the fucking bell gargoyles. I beat the stray demon with no problem, but once the 2nd bell gargoyle comes out I am completely fucked. I'm trying not to use the damn gold pine resins, and everytime the fucking 2nd gargoyle puts me into stun lock.

Yeah, that's a pretty tough boss when you've got no ghost to help you. Pure melee is definitely the game's hard mode (well, hard-hard mode).

Septimius

Aguirre said:

Bahahahaha

maomaoIYP said:

See, this is is why I always say it's the man's-man's way of playing. It really isn't THAT hard, but it does take some getting used to. Keep going at it. I hail you!

falconzss said:
You'll need the Ring of Sacrifice AFAIK.
Someone correct me if i am wrong.

Edit:
It seems like you can make it back but i doubt you will make it on your first try without dying.

Thanks!

falconzss

I am looking for a good weapon to do a Divine upgrade. Thought about going with the Great Scythe. Any suggestions?

Current stats:

END 26
STR 20
DEX 28

The ladder mechanics are hilarious in this game. Got sandwiched in between two Man-Serpents and tried to knock the one above me off the ladder while the one below me tried to punch me off. And they're all just stuck there punching eachother without moving otherwise.

Yo Gotti

Banned
maomaoIYP said:

Use Pine Resin if you need to. Gargoyles is particularly difficult because unless you cheesed the Drake Sword early on, you don't have many powerful weapons yet. For PVE sometimes you've gotta use what you've got when you're outclassed.

But yea as a tip, generally just recognize that you're not going to be able to go toe to toe with these bosses. Stay out of their reach. ONLY get close when you're sure you've got an opening. Watch their movements and eventually you'll learn how to roll-dodge enough of their attacks to take them down while taking minimum damage.

Get used to it and you'll learn to love melee, its the most intense and satisfying way to play the game IMO. You'll also be way better at PVP aspects of the game.

I started a DEX Mage character earlier this week but I'm still having way too much fun with my SL 110 melee character in NG+ to even think about getting started with him.

maomaoIYP

Septimius said:
See, this is is why I always say it's the man's-man's way of playing. It really isn't THAT hard, but it does take some getting used to. Keep going at it. I hail you!

Seriously, pure melee characters are at such a disadvantage it's incredible. I'm trying to use the hardest hitting weapon that I have, but it's just so damn slow. It's almost always more advantageous to use a faster weapon for a higher DPS. With a claymore I can get one swing in before each gargoyle attacks and I have to dodge. With a longsword I can get about three! Kind of pointless to go big at all!

Yo Gotti said:
Get used to it and you'll learn to love melee, its the most intense and satisfying way to play the game IMO. You'll also be way better at PVP aspects of the game.

I started a DEX Mage character earlier this week but I'm still having way too much fun with my SL 110 melee character in NG+ to even think about getting started with him.
I do like the melee, my first character was a speed based DEX character. This time I wanted to experience the large weapons which I couldn't use the first time. I don't want to use the cheesy drake sword, I wanna do this the manly (read: masochistic) way. After 200 hrs, this is the first time I rage quitted.

maomaoIYP said:

If you have Drake Sword, this combat is quite easy in melee. But a little risky, when you see that the life bar split in 2, go berseker with the first gargoyle and if you're fast and hit 3-4 times, you'll kill him before the second one get you.

bone_and_sinew said:
Bring of ring a sacrifice with you if you've got a lot of souls/humanity.

damn. i REALLY could have used that info. lost 92 humanity and 1.5million souls. btw...are you saying after i get into *that situation* i cant reclaim them? thats ridiculous.

Orcastar

I don't understand the backstabbing mechanic in this game. Very often I'll be right behind an enemy and only get a normal attack, while other times I get a backstab even when it looks to me I'm not postitioned correctly for it. Shit seems totally random.

In PVP the whole backstabbing mechanic is a goddamn joke. I circle behind another player and press R1, but suddenly the guy warps behind me and I'm the one who gets backstabbed. This has happened to me at least a dozen times now. Basically means that I can't go to melee range at all since my opponent could at any time be right behind me and I can't do anything about it since on my screen he's in front of me.

falconzss

Orcastar said:
I don't understand the backstabbing mechanic in this game. Very often I'll be right behind an enemy and only get a normal attack, while other times I get a backstab even when it looks to me I'm not postitioned correctly for it. Shit seems totally random.

In PVP the whole backstabbing mechanic is a goddamn joke. I circle behind another player and press R1, but suddenly the guy warps behind me and I'm the one who gets backstabbed. This has happened to me at least a dozen times now. Basically means that I can't go to melee range at all since my opponent could at any time be right behind me and I can't do anything about it since on my screen he's in front of me.

Yep, it's a joke, especially if you are up against two people. It always seems at if your opponent gets sucked onto you even if he's not even that near you or stands in a shitty angle towards you. This + Ring of Fog = disaster...

Smidget said:
Quick question: 360 or PS3? Planning a Target B2G1 :)
My roommate plays 360 version next to me when I'm playing on PS3 and it's 100% identical. Framerate drops happen in exactly same places.

So buy whichever you please.

In other news.

I JUST COMPLETED DARK SOULS. WOHOO

Aguirre

Misterinenja said:
My roommate plays 360 version next to me when I'm playing on PS3 and it's 100% identical. Framerate drops happen in exactly same places.

So buy whichever you please.

In other news.

I JUST COMPLETED DARK SOULS. WOHOO
oh ho ho you poor naive little soul.

you just completed the tutorial.

the real dark souls starts now.

i think any game that has bosses you are supposed to die to without giving you a hint...or where you lose your souls for that same reason is just a victim of cheap and poor game design.

Ever since Anor Londo this game has just gotten worse and worse. the low light levels (New Londo Ruins, Tomb of the Giants/ Catacombs) and now bosses that are supposed to kill you and i SHOULD have equipped the ring of sacrifice? - i havent even gotten to lost izalith yet which i hear is even worse.

So what happened - these guys make an amazing first half of the game and then decide not to fix all the glitches/balancing/scaling issues and just rush it out?

to me the first half of the game was a 9/10, the last half has been a 7....so i guess its an 8 overall for me. 50 hours in and the last 15 hours or so have just been completely unenjoyable.

I started out as a pyromancer and I was putting points into vitality, endurance and meeting minimum requirements for certain things (a bow, a divine weapon, drake sword) like everyone is always talking about online and I'm gonna say that I don't think it's a good idea. Compared to Demon souls, where I made sure my intelligence was so high I could 1 or 2 shot everything before even thinking about survivability I'm having a much harder time. If I restarted, which I am thinking of doing, I'd pump intelligence up first.

Moral of the story, don't get swayed by popular opinion and do what feels right!

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Phat Michael said:
damn. i REALLY could have used that info. lost 92 humanity and 1.5million souls. btw...are you saying after i get into *that situation* i cant reclaim them? thats ridiculous.
You can but chances are you'll die trying to get back there.

bone_and_sinew

Phat Michael said:
i think any game that has bosses you are supposed to die to without giving you a hint...or where you lose your souls for that same reason is just a victim of cheap and poor game design.

Ever since Anor Londo this game has just gotten worse and worse. the low light levels (New Londo Ruins, Tomb of the Giants/ Catacombs) and now bosses that are supposed to kill you and i SHOULD have equipped the ring of sacrifice? - i havent even gotten to lost izalith yet which i hear is even worse.

So what happened - these guys make an amazing first half of the game and then decide not to fix all the glitches/balancing/scaling issues and just rush it out?

to me the first half of the game was a 9/10, the last half has been a 7....so i guess its an 8 overall for me. 50 hours in and the last 15 hours or so have just been completely unenjoyable.
Yeah Lost Izalith is by far the shittiest area in the game. I strongly recommend you
join the Chaos Covenant, get to +2, which unlocks a shortcut to Lost Izalith and avoids all the shittiness.

Sullichin

Is there any reason to be rocking 92 humanity? lol

I usually walk around with 0 unless I'm really confident about the area, but I'm a pussy.

bone_and_sinew

Sullichin said:
Is there any reason to be rocking 92 humanity? lol

I usually walk around with 0 unless I'm really confident about the area, but I'm a pussy.
I didn't even know humanity went that high, I thought it topped out at 30. I'm they same way humanity, I never carry it on me unless I have a ring of sacrifice on me.

Doomshine

maomaoIYP said:
Seriously, pure melee characters are at such a disadvantage it's incredible. I'm trying to use the hardest hitting weapon that I have, but it's just so damn slow. It's almost always more advantageous to use a faster weapon for a higher DPS. With a claymore I can get one swing in before each gargoyle attacks and I have to dodge. With a longsword I can get about three! Kind of pointless to go big at all!
I started as a Cleric and I feel like having high strenght and low dexterity is a disadvantage. Seems like every weapon has some dex requirement. I've been rolling with my divine morning star for most of the game.

I will say that I do enjoy playing the game like I have though: I've read almost nothing about the game, read very little FAQ´s or guides and I've just been going on feel and not worrying about if my build is wrong or shit like that.

The mistake I made with Demon's Souls was knowing way too much about it before I started. Still loved it, but this is so much more fun.

K' Dash

Sotha Sil said:
Yeah, that's a pretty tough boss when you've got no ghost to help you. Pure melee is definitely the game's hard mode (well, hard-hard mode).

I sure as hell could've used that information 64 gameplay hours ago.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
maomaoIYP said:
As a pure melee Bandit, the Bell Gargoyles and Queelag were easily the toughest for me but nothing too the point where I was frustrated or felt I was hampered by my choice in class. Queelag I'm pretty sure I was just fighting incorrectly as far as knowing her attack patterns. Both took me a few hours to beat.
Other than that, now at level 50 strength wielding a Dragon Great Axe, I feel like a badass.

Dorrin

I finally made it to Sen's Fortress. I've been playing basically three characters, a Pyro, Sorcerer and a Knight. I've enjoyed the experience so much I just haven't been able to settle with one character, I've settled on the sorc at this point but I've gotten the Pyro as far as blighttown. I guess if you play a character far enough it doesn't matter on starting class.

I've had Rage sitting on my desk for 3 weeks and finally played it some yesterday got a couple hours in and back to Demon Souls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom