• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
ShaneB said:
So I'm at the "bottom" of Blighttown I guess. Big swamp area, and I found the bonfire, am I suppose to go back up the shortcut wheel thing, or does the swamp lead to areas ala that area in Demon's Souls?
If you go to the left from the bonfire you will find a root leading to another area (great hollow). Heading to the right past the wheel will lead you to the next boss and the second bell, as well as another area behind that (demons ruins). Go up the wheel and head left and you will end up in drake valley, then firelink if you have the master key.

ShaneB said:
So I'm at the "bottom" of Blighttown I guess. Big swamp area, and I found the bonfire, am I suppose to go back up the shortcut wheel thing, or does the swamp lead to areas ala that area in Demon's Souls?

you want to go right from the bonfire across the swamp- the entrance to the boss is on the side of a white "hill".

Aguirre

DigitalDevil said:
If you go to the left from the bonfire you will find a root leading to another area. Heading to the right past the wheel will lead you to the next boss and the second bell, as well as another area being that. Go up the wheel and head left and you will end up in drake valley, then firelink if you have the master key.
but stay away from death valley, i mean drake valley.

I SWEAR TO GOD I FUCKING HATE THIS GAME I'M CURSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fuck those stupid ass frogs man. This shit really makes me want to throw my damn PS3 out the damn window sometimes.

I figured I would have learned my lesson with Demon's Soul ;________;

If it wasn't for YouTube I'd have no fucking clue on how to beat this damn game.

ShaneB said:

Facing towards the doorway leading out of the bonfire, Going immediately left goes to The Great Hollow area. You'll see a large tree root that lead up, there will be two illusionary walls at the end that you can break through.

From the bonfire, going immediately right leads to the boss & the 2nd bell.
It's an area guarded by 3 boulder barbarians, which you can sneak around them.

After you ring the bell, there is another illusionary wall not too far ahead that gives you access to a convent.

ShaneB

DigitalDevil said:
If you go to the left from the bonfire you will find a root leading to another area (great hollow). Heading to the right past the wheel will lead you to the next boss and the second bell, as well as another area behind that (demons ruins). Go up the wheel and head left and you will end up in drake valley, then firelink if you have the master key.

Sounds good. Thanks!

stealth edit: thanks for all the replies.

Aguirre

bdizzle said:

Fuck those stupid ass frogs man. This shit really makes me want to throw my damn PS3 out the damn window sometimes.

If it wasn't for YouTube I'd have no fucking clue on how to beat this damn game.
fret not, the moss merchant lady behind the metal gate, in the sewer in undead burg sells purging stones.

bdizzle said:

Female undead merchant and dude at the bottom of the first bell tower have a solution for that. Sucks :/

bdizzle said:

I couldn't imagine using youtube and FAQs to get through this game.

going in blind and discovering shit as you go- I've lost count of the times I've been flat out amazed by the game.

deim0s

Lost Izalith is the one behind the yellow door at Demon Ruins, yes?

I have the lord vessel, why can't I enter? Should I finish the yellow door in Anor Londo or I am missing something else?

test_account

XP-39C²
Yoshichan said:
Not possible, sorry.
DigitalDevil said:
No. my understanding is that because of the weapon trophy the minimum number of playthroughs is 3.5
Kinda a pity for me since i dont want to take the time doing that right now, got Uncharted 3 and Battlefield 3 to play as well, and soon Modern Warfare 3. But hopefully i will find the time to play enough Dark Souls to get the platinum trophy :)

Does it have to be 3 games after eachother by the way? Or is it enough to start 3 completely new and seperate games?

sephi22 said:
Nice! Congrats! :D

bob_arctor said:
Holy Shit. Dragon's Great Axe +2 demolished Sen's Fortress boss. Wow. That special attack is no joke. Landed in Anor Lando, survived long enough to find a bonfire. Whew.
There is a bonfire in Sen's Fortress as well :) It is close to where the
giant starts to throw the big fire bombs

Septimius

deim0s said:

I have the lord vessel, why can't I enter? Should I finish the yellow door in Anor Londo or I am missing something else?

You need to place the Lordvessel.

deim0s said:

you need to take the lordvessel to frampt first and place it before the yellow doors vanish. I made the same mistake. :(

test_account

XP-39C²
deim0s said:

Yep, that is where Lost Izalith is indeed.

When you have the lord vessel, go back to
Firelink Shrine and talk that big, wierd monster :)

BeeDog

test_account said:
Kinda a pity for me since i dont want to take the time doing that right now, got Uncharted 3 and Battlefield 3 to play as well, and soon Modern Warfare 3. But hopefully i will find the time to play enough Dark Souls to get the platinum trophy :)

Does it have to be 3 games after eachother by the way? Or is it enough to start 3 completely new and seperate games?

No, you pretty much have to play 2.5 games continuously due to the "all weapons" trophy.

BeeDog

test_account said:
Damn :( Is it some unique weapon that is only found later on?

Well, sort of. Several boss souls have to be used for several purposes, so therefore you need to kill the same boss several times to reach the goals. There's one boss soul in particular that's used for three different things, while most other are used for either one or two things.

Quikies83

I'm throwing in the towel for now against Ornstein and Smough.. Can I leave this place or do I absolutely have to beat them before I can return?
I've been going at these guys for hours and am out of humanity... Ugh

test_account

XP-39C²
Manmademan said:
you can only use boss souls once, but they can be used to create multiple weapons. Thus the need to have multiple playthroughs.
BeeDog said:
Well, sort of. Several boss souls have to be used for several purposes, so therefore you need to kill the same boss several times to reach the goals. There's one boss soul in particular that's used for three different things, while most other are used for either one or two things.
Oh ok, i see, thanks :)

Does a good trophy guide excist for the weapon trophies by the way? A guide that tells exactly which weapons who need to be upgraded where to get them?

The ending off this game is terrible, finally got through to finishing it tonight and the credit role was the only thing that gave away that the game was over. I was also slightly disappointed that I spent a huge deal of my levelling on getting stats to equip the Greatsword of Artorias only to discover that it's worst that my divine halberd. To top things off the dragon glitch isn't working on my new game plus.

Enjoyable experience overall, but it has quite a few glaring issues that prevent it from being a great game in my mind (The ending, frame-rate, multi-player, and stats that are universally useless for anything other than equipment).

test_account

XP-39C²
Quikies83 said:
I'm throwing in the towel for now against Ornstein and Smough.. Can I leave this place or do I absolutely have to beat them before I can return?
I've been going at these guys for hours and am out of humanity... Ugh
You can leave the place. Just go back to where you arrived in Anor Londo and talk to that creature there. I had to do the same by the way, i had no chance to make that boss, so i went back to Firelink Shire and all those places around there and started leveling up before going back to Anor Londo.

Aguirre

test_account said:
You can leave the place. Just go back to where you arrived in Anor Londo and talk to that creature there. I had to do the same by the way, i had no chance to make that boss, so i went back to Firelink Shire and all those places around there and started leveling up before going back to Anor Londo.
what level did you have when you returned and presumably beat them?

Dresden

Spirit of Jazz said:
The ending off this game is terrible, finally got through to finishing it tonight and the credit role was the only thing that gave away that the game was over. I was also slightly disappointed that I spent a huge deal of my levelling on getting stats to equip the Greatsword of Artorias only to discover that it's worst that my divine halberd. To top things off the dragon glitch isn't working on my new game plus.

Enjoyable experience overall, but it has quite a few glaring issues that prevent it from being a great game in my mind (The ending, frame-rate, multi-player, and stats that are universally useless for anything other than equipment).
You got the bad ending probably.

test_account

XP-39C²
Spirit of Jazz said:

There is a 2nd ending as well, instead of lighting the bonfire, exit the cave instead. I havnt done it myself though, so i have no idea if this ending is better. But i agree, i was quite dissapointed with the first ending myself, especially concidering how hard the game is. I was hoping to get a bit bigger "reward" at the end there :)

shahkur

Is Anor Londo supposed to be difficult? So far I've beaten that
gargoyle
and made it to the first bonfire. LOVE THIS GAME! Anor Londo is one nice looking place.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Same here I didn't realize that's why I randomly hear the bell. Awesome...

No matter how many times I've done it, I still really enjoy hearing the bell ring right after helping someone co-op the gargoyles.

test_account

XP-39C²
Aguirre said:
what level did you have when you returned and presumably beat them?
I dont remember exactly unfortunately, but probably somewhere around 45-55. I invested almost every upgrade into Intelligence, i bought the Sorcerer Boosting ring and i bought the Soul Mass. When i returned to the first boss in Anor Londo, Ornstein only needed 3 hits with the Soul Mass :)

Aguirre

test_account said:
I dont remember exactly unfortunately, but probably somewhere around 45-55. I invested almost every upgrade into Intelligence, i bought the Sorcerer Boosting ring and i bought the Soul Mass. When i returned to the first boss in Anor Londo, Ornstein only needed 3 hits with the Soul Mass :)
nice. makes me somewhat confident as i'm 50 and have only set off the first (only?) 2 bells.

granted i dont have much npcs and merchants left as i have murdered them, but hey: wasn't dark souls always an uphill struggle?

Quikies83

test_account said:
Thanks man

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
test_account said:
Yep, that is where Lost Izalith is indeed.

When you have the lord vessel, go back to
Firelink Shrine and talk that big, wierd monster :)
Manmademan said:
you need to take the lordvessel to frampt first and place it before the yellow doors vanish. I made the same mistake. :(
DON'T LISTEN TO THEM

test_account

XP-39C²
shahkur said:
gargoyle
and made it to the first bonfire. LOVE THIS GAME! Anor Londo is one nice looking place.
I guess it depends on which class you're playing with. For me personally (i play as Pyromancer, but i pretty only use magic), i only find the 1st boss in Anor Londo to be difficult. The other things are doable. Or, the
Archer
can be a bit difficult if i dont have the Soul Mass spell.

Spirit of Jazz said:

Greatsword of Astorias only becomes worthwhile at max level.

Spirit of Jazz said:

I feel your pain. I did the same in addition to finding out that I made the cursed version instead of the True one.

Quikies83

Is there a shortcut out of Sens Fortress from where the creature drops you off?? I really don't want to shoot through those swinging blades again.

Dresden said:
You got the bad ending probably.

Is there a huge amount of difference in the endings? Mine was the taking a seat whilst I sanctimoniously combust one. I had as much an issue with the level and boss itself as I did the actually ending. The stage opted to be nothing more than a grinding spot for ore rather than being some bone crunching, intense finale. The boss itself might have been okay if it was just his first form, but showing I could parry an easy attack over and over didn't make for an interesting or exciting final battle.

I think my main problem is that Dark Souls is meant to be designed to be a difficult game that harks back to days when games were actually a challenge. However due to how weak the last level and the boss in it were I ended up with no sense of achievement after completing the game.

Mortrialus said:
Greatsword of Astorias only becomes worthwhile at max level.

Better than +5/10 elemental weapons? If so then at least I've got that to look forward to in new game plus.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
shahkur said:
gargoyle
lol, you are in for a world of hurt after that.

test_account

XP-39C²
Aguirre said:
nice. makes me somewhat confident as i'm 50 and have only set off the first (only?) 2 bells.

granted i dont have much npcs and merchants left as i have murdered them, but hey: wasn't dark souls always an uphill struggle?
I think that you're good to go then :) I guess it also depends on which class you have. I only tried to beat the bosses with ranged magic attack, so i dont know how hard they are with close weapon combat.

Is there any advantage of killing the NPCs by the way? I havnt killed a single one hehe.

Quikies83 said:
Thanks man
No problem :)

Hawkian said:
DON'T LISTEN TO THEM
Lol =) I actually visited all 3 yellow seals before i placed the lord vessel, since at that time i didnt have the lord vessel and i had no idea how to break the yellow seal.

test_account

XP-39C²
Quikies83 said:
Is there a shortcut out of Sens Fortress from where the creature drops you off?? I really don't want to shoot through those swinging blades again.
Yes. It is close to where the boss is. There are 2 cages that hangs over a hole. You need the Cage Key, then open the cage and step into it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
test_account said:
Lol =) I actually visited all 3 yellow seals before i placed the lord vessel, since at that time i didnt have the lord vessel and i had no idea how to break the yellow seal.
No... I was serious. There's another option :-/

Quikies83 said:

Yes. Near the top of the fortress there should be a room with a huge pit and two cages hanging. Those cages act as elevators. Get the cage key and enter one of them to activate the short cut.

Hawkian said:

A better option.

Urban Scholar said:
Halp!

Trying to get Priscilla's dagger. Dragon girl is not giving it up man. I'm 2 handing my furysword and trying to position myself to swipe her tial only. Each I'm nearly killing her. Am I to use a non elemental weapon to do this? If so I'm stuck because I can't go back.

I tried this yesterday trying to get the last few to 100% the game. This tail was a real hassle! However, just like Seath, aim for the TIP of the tail, anywhere else and you will do a lot of damage to her. Even in NG+ she doesn't have much hp. I was really happy because I cleaned out Painted World getting all loot, killing all monsters, and did not die even once. Then I had to throw myself off her bridge multiple times in a row, not because I was going to lose, but because I was going to WIN... but hadn't got her tail :)

test_account

XP-39C²
Hawkian said:
Really? How?

EDIT: Come to think of it, i know you can kill the person before you get the lord vessel, but i dont know if the person drops the lord vessel then.

Dresden

Spirit of Jazz said:
Is there a huge amount of difference in the endings? Mine was the taking a seat whilst I sanctimoniously combust one. I had as much an issue with the level and boss itself as I did the actually ending. The stage opted to be nothing more than a grinding spot for ore rather than being some bone crunching, intense finale. The boss itself might have been okay if it was just his first form, but showing I could parry an easy attack over and over didn't make for an interesting or exciting final battle.

I think my main problem is that Dark Souls is meant to be designed to be a difficult game that harks back to days when games were actually a challenge. However due to how weak the last level and the boss in it were I ended up with no sense of achievement after completing the game.

Better than +5/10 elemental weapons? If so then at least I've got that to look forward to in new game plus.
ending spoiler:
The "good" ending is where the primordial serpents line up outside and crown you as the Dark Lord of the world, ushering in the Age of Men.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom