• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haunted

Jinfash said:
Tin Crystaline Banishment Catalyst.

I'm 100% positive I got the name wrong, but you guys probably know what I'm referring to.

Is it repairable or not?
Tin Crystallization Catalyst? Repairable, just tested it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Pie and Beans said:
Dark Souls is an impressive achievement in open world game design, great stuff in all and will probably still be my GOTY unless Batman surpasses all my expectations but without a doubt Demon's Souls was the better game. Tight, concise, hard yet fair (moments in Dark just aren't, stupid spawn traps for instance) and a better narrative which is ironic since it barely had one. Dark has more just unintelligibly split apart to the point unless you read a wiki or guide you'd NEVER discover certain stuff
(pick a primordial serpent point especially)
Can't say I found Demon's Souls concise, compared to Dark Souls or otherwise. I don't understand what you mean by spawn traps, unfortunately- what are you referring to? I find the world and lore in Dark Souls more compelling overall, although no character will stick with me in the way the Maiden did. I disagree that one or the other had more hidden stuff- in fact, the removal of world tendency makes things feel much more straightforward without needing to look at a wiki to know when and how certain things will happen.

Hawkian said:
Those are great. The Capra Demon one's a little silly once you unlock the shortcut though.

Yep, is literally at 1 minute of the main bonfire. The zombies of the cliff, a blind zombie archer, 2 undead thieves and 2 dogs.

Told my buddy I was going to call it quits on Dark Souls. I got to Anor Londo, and it wasn't so much that it's harder than everything else, but that it's as hard, the game isn't close to being done, and it's too drawn out and stressful of an experience. ANYWAY, I picked it up today, beat
Sif
, got to
Ornstein and whoever, they jumped my bones but whatev
, AND got a huge portion of the way through the Catacombs! Why do you toy with my emotions Dark Souls? Have I not been good to you?

Ourobolus

Banned
So in order to plat the game, how high of a level do you guys recommend? I know some spells require a PvP commitment, so what's the current limit I should strive for so I can invade/help people consistently?

Dark Souls story related questions, very spoilery.

Did the game ever reveal what was the cause of the Darksign?

And did Gwyn link the fire knowing it would have consumed him? Kaathe, who strikes me as being very reliable, doesn't paint an altruistic picture of Gwyn to say the least.

sephi22

Ourobolus said:
So in order to plat the game, how high of a level do you guys recommend? I know some spells require a PvP commitment, so what's the current limit I should strive for so I can invade/help people consistently?
Actually every item has a offline alternative.
I did most of my stuff offline.

For eg: To get the gravelord spell, you need to give up Eyes of Death, which you can get by invading other players worlds with phantoms. Or, you can wear the item discovery ring, have a high humanity level, and kill curse frogs.

Likewise, you can get everything you need without going online once.
As for your level, you need to play till NG++. I was able to do it with SL 140 something with crystal ring shield and Dragons Greataxe +5 (The latter made the crystal ring shield do 1000+ damage)

Haunted

Jinfash said:
Thank you!

That Catalyst is so beast right now.
Well, it does beastly damage but it's got that huge downside that I can't stomach. I still do enough damage with my Tin Banishment Catalyst.

sephi22 said:

For eg: To get the gravelord spell, you need to give up Eyes of Death, which you can get by invading other players worlds with phantoms. Or, you can wear the item discovery ring, have a high humanity level, and kill curse frogs.

As for your level, you need to play till NG++. I was able to do it with SL 140 something with crystal ring shield and Dragons Greataxe +5 (The latter made the crystal ring shield do 1000+ damage)

CRS is so awesome. practically breaks the damn game

Booshka

DontTouchMe said:
Endgame question:
Just to be sure,
if I go around killing every firekeeper and merchant they do respawn in ng+?
Go for it, they all reset, it is worth it for the extra fire keeper souls and humanity drops.

Mortrialus said:
Dark Souls story related questions, very spoilery.

Did the game ever reveal what was the cause of the Darksign?

And did Gwyn link the fire knowing it would have consumed him? Kaathe, who strikes me as being very reliable, doesn't paint an altruistic picture of Gwyn to say the least.

I don't believe it ever revealed the source of the Darksign. I would say Gwyn DID know what would happen to him, but he was motivated by fear. He didn't do it to save everyone else, he did it because he was terrified of the Age of Fire ending and the coming Darkness. My assumption that he knew is because NPC dialog and the description on his items/armor (in NG+) indicate that he divided up his power before going to Kiln of the First Flame to link the fire. He took almost none of his power, his items like the crown etc had no power left, and he could not use his sunlight bolts any longer.

Booshka

DigitalDevil said:
I'm absolutely doing this before I complete the game. I want to make the most out of NG+

DontTouchMe said:
Thank you very much!

Just watch out for Andrei, dude fights like a Pro Wrestler and hits like a truck, pretty fun to fight actually. He kicked my ass on NG++, so I threw fireballs at him.

Sen's Fortress...

Is a joke, isn't it? We forgot to put traps in all the other zones, so will put traps inside of your traps, so you'll be able to die meanwhile you die.

Oracle Dragon said:
I don't believe it ever revealed the source of the Darksign. I would say Gwyn DID know what would happen to him, but he was motivated by fear. He didn't do it to save everyone else, he did it because he was terrified of the Age of Fire ending and the coming Darkness. My assumption that he knew is because NPC dialog and the description on his items/armor (in NG+) indicate that he divided up his power before going to Kiln of the First Flame to link the fire. He took almost none of his power, his items like the crown etc had no power left, and he could not use his sunlight bolts any longer.

Leaving the source of the Darksign unexplained is the biggest piece of bullshit I can imagine in a game. The entire purpose of the character's quest started out as a quest to find the source of the Darksign and become human again. Ugg.

DangerousDave said:
Sen's Fortress...

Is a joke, isn't it? We forgot to put traps in all the other zones, so will put traps inside of your traps, so you'll be able to die meanwhile you die.
Easiest part of the game IMO.

DangerousDave said:
Sen's Fortress...

Yeah, when I saw a serpent shooting magic from an unreachable platform when I was on a narrow ledge with swing blades & with a pit at the bottom that has super tough enemies I just said 'fuck it'.

I'm watching a video on getting through there the easiest way.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Misterinenja said:

I just passed it today and I'd have to agree. It does a good job of convincing you it's much more intimidating then it really is. It's short, not particularly labyrinthine, sparsely populated, and if you can find that one thing they try to hide from you, you're good. And even if you don't, if you get the cage key it's almost the same thing.

That said: I didn't make it all the way down to the Titanite Demons. Is there a way down there?

Ken

Mortrialus said:
Leaving the source of the Darksign unexplained is the biggest piece of bullshit I can imagine in a game. The entire purpose of the character's quest started out as a quest to find the source of the Darksign and become human again. Ugg.

I'm under the impression that the Darksign came from the Fire, along with the Lord Souls. I recall someone saying that the bad ending means that the fire is kept alive which means the curse of the Darksign can continue to exist.

x3r0123

DangerousDave said:
Sen's Fortress...

qdgGY.jpg

bob_arctor said:
I just passed it today and I'd have to agree. It does a good job of convincing you it's much more intimidating then it really is. It's short, not particularly labyrinthine, sparsely populated, and if you can find that one thing they try to hide from you, you're good. And even if you don't, if you get the cage key it's almost the same thing.

That said: I didn't make it all the way down to the Titanite Demons. Is there a way down there?

jump.

Oracle Dragon said:
The ending is fine, good even. The problem is you didn't explore enough to find out which action to do at the end of the game to win. Hint: It isn't linking the fire... if you do that the ending is short because you LOST.

Not necessarily.
I took time to explore and I knew exactly what I was doing. However, my issue is with the lack of substance in that ending. That is my personal complaint. I would have liked to have seen your choice having the consequence rather than just relying on what you know as the end result. It was almost like a big finger was lifted at the player for picking the choice that is considered the bad ending. "Here, loyal Dark Souls player, a quick scene and the credits... oh, before we forget, you fucked up dumbass!" Regardless of the ending you chose, with how much crap From Software throws at you and puts in your way, there should be some substance or reward for finishing the game and "picking a side." It almost feels like they forgot the ending and just half-assed a quick cut scene and then rolled the credits.

Regardless, as usual in most games that offer
good / bad endings
, my second playthrough will always be the
proper / good / neutral ending
with my first being the exact opposite.

Haunted

bob_arctor said:

Just jump down to where the 3-4 sorcerers are, that ledge is halfway down to the very bottom. The drop damage is negligible.

Just be aware there's tar on the bottom so you'll need a certain ring for freedom of movement.

Grinchy

Banned
Misterinenja said:
It's the most annoying part if you don't find the bonfire or the key for the shortcut. Imagine getting knocked off the ledge by the boss and having to run back through the whole thing over and over again. I can attest to the fact that it gets annoying very quickly, despite not being difficult.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Haunted said:
Just jump down to where the 3-4 sorcerers are, that ledge is halfway down to the very bottom. The drop damage is negligible.

Just be aware there's tar on the bottom so you'll need a certain ring for freedom of movement.

Ah, gotcha. Maybe I'll go back there at some point.

MeBecomingI said:
Not necessarily.
I took time to explore and I knew exactly what I was doing. However, my issue is with the lack of substance in that ending. That is my personal complaint. I would have liked to have seen your choice having the consequence rather than just relying on what you know as the end result. It was almost like a big finger was lifted at the player for picking the choice that is considered the bad ending. "Here, loyal Dark Souls player, a quick scene and the credits... oh, before we forget, you fucked up dumbass!" Regardless of the ending you chose, with how much crap From Software throws at you and puts in your way, there should be some substance or reward for finishing the game and "picking a side." It almost feels like they forgot the ending and just half-assed a quick cut scene and then rolled the credits.

Regardless, as usual in most games that offer
good / bad endings
, my second playthrough will always be the
proper / good / neutral ending
with my first being the exact opposite.

Okay, that's a pretty fair criticism. If you know which of the two endings you are getting and are just unhappy with how it provided details, I can understand.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Mortrialus said:

I think the game pretty heavily hints that
the Darksign is from the Pygmy's Dark Soul. Sort of like how Gwyn gave his Lord Soul to the 4 Kings and Seath, the Pygmy's Dark Soul is spread amongst the undead. That's what I took Kaathe as meaning when he said you were a successor to the Pygmy, at least, and it makes the game's title make sense.

Misterinenja said:

The problem of that zone is that, going without walkthrough, is being killed in a room, start, being killed in the second room, restart, etc.

Also, for a pure melee character, too much long-range wizards throwing you shit while you are one inch away of falling, fighting guys and avoiding blades.

Depths, 5fpsTown or Undead whatever are much more easier.

Ken

ixix said:
I think the game pretty heavily hints that
the Darksign is from the Pygmy's Dark Soul. Sort of like how Gwyn gave his Lord Soul to the 4 Kings and Seath, the Pygmy's Dark Soul is spread amongst the undead. That's what I took Kaathe as meaning when he said you were a successor to the Pygmy, at least, and it makes the game's title make sense.

Doesn't the Darksign show up on the living too? If it's spread among the Undead, and you become the Undead Dark Lord, how would you end the curse of the Darksign when the Age of Dark/Man arrives? That's why I think the Darksign is linked to the Fire; ending the Fire ends the curse.

Ourobolus

Banned
sephi22 said:

Thanks. I knew I had to beat the game multiple times due to the soul weapons, but the offline stuff helps. I do enjoy PvP though, and I'm only lv 20 and just beat Gaping Dragon, so I don't want to level too much if I won't be able to reliably enter games. :)

Aguirre

DangerousDave said:
The problem of that zone is that, going without walkthrough, is being killed in a room, start, being killed in the second room, restart, etc.

Also, for a pure melee character, too much long-range wizards throwing you shit while you are one inch away of falling, fighting guys and avoiding blades.

pure melee char here, breezed through with halberd

Mindlog

I liked the caves. The boss though... I had no problem cutting tails. However, now it seems more finicky. So that boss is dead and I traveled through the Valley of the Drakes to get to New Londo's boss. The drakes put up more of a fight than the boss did. One of the drakes actually fell through the door and I fought it after I had killed the zone boss. I am quickly approaching the end-game.

I did have one particular event spoiled for me that I would like some help with.
Solaire must be saved. I am already chaos covenant +2. I can quit that now without consequence correct? In order to save Solaire I have to kill the Demon Ruins Boss and find the shortcut there? Ceaseless Discharge was not the area boss?
I am trying to avoid digging around too much, but I want to be certain on that plot point. There are few worthwhile NPCs in the game.

DangerousDave said:
Sen's Fortress...

The difficulty is front-loaded. It's actually not that bad...in fact...most of the game is like that. It fucks you up psychologically but it never really is as bad as you think it is.

Aguirre

bigdaddygamebot said:
The difficulty is front-loaded. It's actually not that bad...in fact...most of the game is like that. It fucks you up psychologically but it never really is as bad as you think it is.
it's all about timing. seriously, i used to run in, get frustrated about falling/dieing, then run in even faster, etc.

patience...

DigitalDevil said:
Titanite shards can be purchased from early game right? Why is this such a revelation?

dick faced andrei sells em, right?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
DangerousDave said:

I'm a melee character too, and Sen's Fortress immediately made a frightening impression on me when I got raped by two snakes in the foyer, but taken one at a time they aren't so scary. Basically you make some slow and error-prone progress through the indoor part, and eventually make it up to the outdoor area which is quite relaxed in comparison. Lots of good items and drops throughout.

The only thing I didn't do there was kill 2 of the 3 or 4 Prowling Demons, who for some reason I am bad at fighting even though I beat the one near Andrei without too much trouble.

DigitalDevil said:
Titanite shards can be purchased from early game right? Why is this such a revelation?

I think he must mean Demon Titanite.

Ken

Mindlog said:
I did have one particular event spoiled for me that I would like some help with.
Solaire must be saved. I am already chaos covenant +2. I can quit that now without consequence correct? In order to save Solaire I have to kill the Demon Ruins Boss and find the shortcut there? Ceaseless Discharge was not the area boss?
I am trying to avoid digging around too much, but I want to be certain on that plot point. There are few worthwhile NPCs in the game.

Kill the Firesage Demon (he looks like the Asylum Demon), and look on the right at the entrance of the boss fight arena. Should be a path with a root going down. There will be 5 Chaos Bugs you can kill and a locked door. Now this is the part I got stuck on. I unlocked the shortcut and left the Covenant without interacting with the door while in the Covenant. I assume that leaving the Covenant without opening the door will revert it to a locked state, even if you are +2 in the Covenant. I'm guessing this is the case since all the guides say there's 9 Chaos Bugs, but I only found 5 before the locked door. Hope that helps.

Aguirre said:
pure melee char here, breezed through with halberd

I'm almost entirely melee also. (I have some soul arrows and a longbow, but rarely use either.)

With a good shield and an upgraded spear, sen's fortress wasn't really that difficult. The enemies were an afterthought- just watching out for traps took most of my attention.

I think he must mean Demon Titanite.

correct. those are significantly harder to find, and the enemies that drop them don't respawn- except in one spot in L.I.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
DangerousDave said:

Nah, wasn't really a problem for me. Slow and steady wins the race as they say. That and a +10 Zweihander. There are also only 3 "trouble" spots where Cobra-face is chucking electricity, 2 of which won't really hit you if you're quick. The one where he's unavoidable, just use the blades themselves as shields and inch your way up and let him taste your blade when close enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom