• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quikies83

test_account said:
Yes. It is close to where the boss is. There are 2 cages that hangs over a hole. You need the Cage Key, then open the cage and step into it.
Nice, found the cage.. Heh but no cage key.. Typical lol

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
test_account said:
There is a bonfire in Sen's Fortress as well :) It is close to where the
giant starts to throw the big fire bombs
Oh, don't worry, I found that bad boy. Sen's had no tricks for my super-careful, methodical approach.

Quikies83 said:
Nice, found the cage.. Heh but no cage key.. Typical lol

You know that narrow walkway atop the tower that's broken? You can jump to the other side. The cage key is down there.

DKnight said:
Fucking black knight archers, how do they work...

Actually they're silver knight archers.

Aguirre

this made me laugh
FfeG8.jpg

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
test_account said:
Really? How?

EDIT: Come to think of it, i know you can kill the person before you get the lord vessel, but i dont know if the person drops the lord vessel then.
Who are you referring to?

If you are curious as to what to actually do,
you first need to make sure you've killed Sif who drops a ring that allows you to survive in the Abyss; then head to New Londo and defeat the boss there.

test_account

XP-39C²
Mortrialus said:
Do New Londo Ruins and find out.
I have played through New Londo Ruins, but i didnt find anything in particular. But at that point i already had the lord vessel though.

vilmer_ said:
Use the boulder contraption to your advantage ;)
Ah, is that what the boulders go if they are directed out the dead end?

Kweh

Wow, there are loads of mini Capra Demons to fight in the Demon Ruins. I was expecting them to not respawn once I'd killed them and gone back to the bonfire :/

Spirit of Jazz said:
The ending off this game is terrible, finally got through to finishing it tonight and the credit role was the only thing that gave away that the game was over. I was also slightly disappointed that I spent a huge deal of my levelling on getting stats to equip the Greatsword of Artorias only to discover that it's worst that my divine halberd. To top things off the dragon glitch isn't working on my new game plus.

Enjoyable experience overall, but it has quite a few glaring issues that prevent it from being a great game in my mind (The ending, frame-rate, multi-player, and stats that are universally useless for anything other than equipment).

The ending is fine, good even. The problem is you didn't explore enough to find out which action to do at the end of the game to win. Hint: It isn't linking the fire... if you do that the ending is short because you LOST.

test_account

XP-39C²
Hawkian said:
Who are you referring to?

If you are curious as to what to actually do,
you first need to make sure you've killed Sif who drops a ring that allows you to survive in the Abyss; then head to New Londo and defeat the boss there.
That big lady, dont remember her name, Gwyn or something?

Interesting, i'm on NG+ now and i havnt gotten the lord vessel yet. I'll try that, thanks for the info :)

Sullichin

Kweh said:
Wow, there are loads of mini Capra Demons to fight in the Demon Ruins. I was expecting them to not respawn once I'd killed them and gone back to the bonfire :/

They're not very hard to kill. What weapon are you using? I think I 2 hit the capras with lightning scythe +5 and 3 hit the taurus demons.

Haunted

Mortrialus said:
Greatsword of Astorias only becomes worthwhile at max level.
:eek: you take that back! My Greatsword of Astorias is so much better than any other weapon I have, it's borderline ridiculous.

Crystal Halberd is the only one that comes close, and that didn't last long.

Is there even enough Demon Titanite in the game to upgrade it to +10? I beat every one of the Demons I encountered (up to Lost Izalith now) and put everything I've got into it and it's +6 now.

test_account

XP-39C²
Oracle Dragon said:
The ending is fine, good even. The problem is you didn't explore enough to find out which action to do at the end of the game to win. Hint: It isn't linking the fire... if you do that the ending is short because you LOST.
Isnt linking the fire actually the good ending? I mean, the good thing to do? And the other ending is the bad/evil ending? Kinda like how it was in Demon's Souls as well.

purg3

slept with Malkin
wow, don't know why I was having so much trouble with Seath, probably also because I was at half health and I kept rushing him lol...Finally beat him, way easier when you just keep spinning him around and continuously attack the same tail.

Now on to the Catacombs, been putting this off until now. Someone hold me, I'm scared to go in there lol.

Haunted said:
:eek: you take that back! My Greatsword of Astorias is so much better than any other weapon I have, it's borderline ridiculous.

Is there even enough Demon Titanite in the game to upgrade it to +10? I beat every one of the Demons I encountered (up to Lost Izalith now) and put everything I've got into it and it's +6 now.

Weapons requiring Demon Titanite and Twinkling Titanite only go up to +5 and I think the answer to that is maybe.

Aguirre said:
i got lots of dark souls fan art and comics if you dont mind me posting?
Please do.

test_account said:
Isnt linking the fire actually the good ending? I mean, the good thing to do? And the other ending is the bad/evil ending? Kinda like how it was in Demon's Souls as well.

There is some debate about whether the Dark Lord ending is truly evil, but the To Link The Fire ending basically ends with you finalizing Gwyndolin's plan to become a totalitarian dictator.

test_account said:

No linking the fire is the bad ending, it means you got tricked into sacrificing yourself so Dark Sun Gwyndolin in Anor Londo could maintiain his immortality and power at your expense. Someone has to sacrifice themselve to link the fire, and he sure as heck doesn't want it to be HIM ;)

It's the same kind of ending as in Demons Souls, ie: do "somthing" (press button on controller) = bad ending. Do "nothing" (walk away out of the boss room) = good ending.

Kweh

Sullichin said:
They're not very hard to kill. What weapon are you using? I think I 2 hit the capras with lightning scythe +5 and 3 hit the taurus demons.

I only have a Battle Axe +5. Where do you get elemental weapons?

test_account

XP-39C²
Oracle Dragon said:
No linking the fire is the bad ending, it means you got tricked into sacrificing yourself so Dark Sun Gwyndolin in Anor Londo could maintiain his immortality and power at your expense. Someone has to sacrifice themselve to link the fire, and he sure as heck doesn't want it to be HIM ;)

It's the same kind of ending as in Demons Souls, ie: do "somthing" (press button on controller) = bad ending. Do "nothing" (walk away out of the boss room) = good ending.
Ah ok, i see. I assumed that
linking the fire kinda made the world in harmony again or something hehe
. Thanks for the info :)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
test_account said:
Think I'm misunderstanding you, from what I remember the Demon's Souls evil ending was pretty clearly evil.

test_account

XP-39C²
Hawkian said:
Think I'm misunderstanding you, from what I remember the Demon's Souls evil ending was pretty clearly evil.
Yeah, i wasnt directly comparing the ending in Demon's Souls to Dark Souls. I just ment to compare that both games have a good and a bad ending :) But i did wrote a bit poorly though, sorry. Since i Demon's Souls, doing nothing is indeed the good ending, and it is clear which ending that is the good one indeed.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
What... what the fuck are you supposed to do in that Demon Ruin 4 centipede-worm bug trap? Is there even anything even down there I want/need?

Game feels like its begun to really drag offing the 4 Lord Demons. Left Izalith til last because I didn't fancy it at all...

Dark Souls is an impressive achievement in open world game design, great stuff in all and will probably still be my GOTY unless Batman surpasses all my expectations but without a doubt Demon's Souls was the better game. Tight, concise, hard yet fair (moments in Dark just aren't, stupid spawn traps for instance) and a better narrative which is ironic since it barely had one. Dark has more just unintelligibly split apart to the point unless you read a wiki or guide you'd NEVER discover certain stuff (pick a primordial serpent point especially).

Demon's Souls was always going to be a hard act to follow though, so they did a pretty splendid job trying some different stuff rather than playing safe.

Manmademan said:
I couldn't imagine using youtube and FAQs to get through this game.

going in blind and discovering shit as you go- I've lost count of the times I've been flat out amazed by the game.

That all true, but this game throws so much cheap shit at you that it counter-balances that out.
More evenly spread out Bonfires, more tutorials, more explanations & God help us, more hand holding would have probably made it a better game to most people.

Like I just got the backflip ninja ring, without reading posts/guides/videos, I would have never gotten it at all. I would normally never risk killing a merchant & a convent member for any reason.
Yet this item is a game changer.

Pie and Beans said:
What... what the fuck are you supposed to do in that Demon Ruin 4 centipede-worm bug trap? Is there even anything even down there I want/need?

Game feels like its begun to really drag offing the 4 Lord Demons. Left Izalith til last because I didn't fancy it at all...

Dark Souls is an impressive achievement in open world game design, great stuff in all and will probably still be my GOTY unless Batman surpasses all my expectations but without a doubt Demon's Souls was the better game. Tight, concise, hard yet fair (moments in Dark just aren't, stupid spawn traps for instance) and a better narrative which is ironic since it barely had one. Dark has more just unintelligibly split apart to the point unless you read a wiki or guide you'd NEVER discover certain stuff (pick a primordial serpent point especially).

Demon's Souls was always going to be a hard act to follow though, so they did a pretty splendid job trying some different stuff rather than playing safe.

A large flame ember for making fire weapons is the reward.

Oracle Dragon said:

Yeah, maybe binging through the entirety of Batman before finishing it wasn't the best idea. I forgot about most things and ended up killing Sieglinde by mistake because I didn't remember my own attacks would hurt him. Though I still though the last level was a disappointment for all the other reasons I listed.

Ken

cnizzle06 said:
Beat Ornstein and Smough. Lit the fire and got Ornsteins cool armor.

Where is the next logical place to go?
Grab the Lordvessel from Gwynevere and head to New Londo Ruins if you've killed Sif.

Well, I finally beat the game. Put 61 hours into my first playthrough... Ended the game at Soul Level 82 (Wanderer). Yeah, it was a high level, but I always do that in any RPG. By the way, the Lifehunt Scythe is absolutely amazing and combining it with the Bloodbite Ring means sheer destruction of anything in my path. My character looks scary and awesome, so I am completely happy!

Regardless, I feel absolutely nothing in beating the game, mainly because the
ending is so terribly bare of any substance
. Unfortunate, but I suppose that is the point, so be it. Perhaps I wished something more of it, but it sure as hell doesn't change my love for the game though.

... Although I maintain that magic is broken in this game and if you are focusing on making a melee only character, you might as well say screw it for almost all PvP. Kind of defeats the purpose of a portion of the game when you can't really do anything to anyone... and I consider myself very good at melee combat. I'm sure there will be people who prop up and say they have no issues, but I can barely do anything and I've tried a lot of different tactics... almost all resort to being overwhelmed by a barrage of overpowered magic.

I guess I'll make a new character and focus on a PvP build or something. I'll use my main as my just "come home from work and kill shit because I can" character.

MeBecomingI said:
Well, I finally beat the game. Put 61 hours into my first playthrough... Ended the game at Soul Level 82 (Wanderer). Yeah, it was a high level, but I always do that in any RPG. By the way, the Lifehunt Scythe is absolutely amazing and combining it with the Bloodbite Ring means sheer destruction of anything in my path. My character looks scary and awesome, so I am completely happy!

Regardless, I feel absolutely nothing in beating the game, mainly because the
ending is so terribly bare of any substance
. Unfortunate, but I suppose that is the point, so be it. Perhaps I wished something more of it, but it sure as hell doesn't change my love for the game though.

... Although I maintain that magic is broken in this game and if you are focusing on making a melee only character, you might as well say screw it for almost all PvP. Kind of defeats the purpose of a portion of the game when you can't really do anything to anyone... and I consider myself very good at melee combat. I'm sure there will be people who prop up and say they have no issues, but I can barely do anything and I've tried a lot of different tactics... almost all resort to being overwhelmed by a barrage of overpowered magic.

I guess I'll make a new character and focus on a PvP build or something. I'll use my main as my just "come home from work and kill shit because I can" character.

Just FYI you got the bad ending.

Haunted said:

The titanite demon in lost izalith respawns, and drops 2 titanite shards.

Haunted

Mortrialus said:
Weapons requiring Demon Titanite and Twinkling Titanite only go up to +5 and I think the answer to that is maybe.
You're right, my Greatsword is actually +5. Somehow, knowing that I've fully upgraded it already is a load off my mind haha.

But yeah, I committed basically every Demon Titanite I found to that weapon.

Twinkling Titanite isn't so bad, because some mobs drop it.

Manmademan said:
The titanite demon in lost izalith respawns, and drops 2 titanite shards.
Ah, so you can farm that as well. Gotcha. :)

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Tin Crystaline Banishment Catalyst.

I'm 100% positive I got the name wrong, but you guys probably know what I'm referring to.

Is it repairable or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom