• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just completed the game.

I think Demon Soul's was a more focused experience. The second half of Dark Souls really didn't have all that much in it for me. Still a great game, but a lot of areas felt empty.

Is there any viable way to de-level like in the original? After playing pure melee, I would like to go for a magic run without losing all my stuff.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Does this game have any of the character tendency, world tendency, and limited crystal lizard spawns shenanigans of DeS?

Mindlog

Ken said:
Kill the Firesage Demon (he looks like the Asylum Demon), and look on the right at the entrance of the boss fight arena. Should be a path with a root going down. There will be 5 Chaos Bugs you can kill and a locked door. Now this is the part I got stuck on. I unlocked the shortcut and left the Covenant without interacting with the door while in the Covenant. I assume that leaving the Covenant without opening the door will revert it to a locked state, even if you are +2 in the Covenant. I'm guessing this is the case since all the guides say there's 9 Chaos Bugs, but I only found 5 before the locked door. Hope that helps.
Exactly what I needed to hear. Thank you very much.

I look forward to fighting that boss. His cousin wrecked me when I made that return visit. Now I am prepared. His style will be no match for my Kung Fu.

Capybara said:
No to the tendencies. Yes to the limited lizard spawns.

well, in dark souls the lizards will always come back until you kill them- you could "lose" them permanently in demon's souls if you weren't quick about it.

Sullichin

Ok, beat Batman (quick game especially compared to the hours I put into this)...

I have accessible to me:
Lost Izalbleh
New Londo Ruins
Tomb of Giants (I have to go through the catacombs first. Is there a shortcut here?)
That area that opened in Anor Londo that starts with the two armored boars.

I think my weapon (lightning scythe +5) and SL (70! I suck) should suffice for any of these areas. Would love to beat this game this weekend because I know I'm going to want to immediately start a NG+ and Uncharted 3 is right around the corner. I'm done fucking around, time to do these last (all seemingly shitty) areas.

Someone invaded me right before I was about to fight the boss in Lost Izalith, so I walked through the fog door and taunted him as we could still see each other but he couldn't follow me. He was wearing a fog ring too, so I don't feel bad at all for trolling him.

Bed of Chaos is such a shitty boss by the way. It's like the Dragon God from Demon's Souls except even worse.

Yeah, I've noticed the lizards have kept on coming back for me. Hope it's not just limited, because I fail to catch them every time in some areas.

You guys got a good level range suggestion for Bell Tower Gargs co-op? I made a new character expressly just to provide some co-op help for some of the first bosses. I'm not really getting any bites though, nor even really seeing too many summons signs. I figured anywhere from SL 12-15 should be the right range but maybe I'm off?

FairXchange said:
Yeah, I've noticed the lizards have kept on coming back for me. Hope it's not just limited, because I fail to catch them every time in some areas.

I can not take credit for this, it was a poster on this board who mentioned it (I cant recall who, sorry!). But this is the greatest trick ever for getting them. I did it, it works.

They always spawn/despawn in the same place. If you fail to catch them, go to that place, quit the game, reload, they will respawn right there and you can get them.

Chinpoko_Master said:
Someone invaded me right before I was about to fight the boss in Lost Izalith, so I walked through the fog door and taunted him as we could still see each other but he couldn't follow me. He was wearing a fog ring too, so I don't feel bad at all for trolling him.

Bed of Chaos is such a shitty boss by the way. It's like the Dragon God from Demon's Souls except even worse.

I think that title belongs to Ceaseless Discharge.

Sullichin

FairXchange said:

I saw a few in Great Hollow, but fuck it if I'm going to risk a fall death for some titanite.

So I joined the Darkwraiths, does that pretty much confirm Im a bad guy now? and does joining this covenent have a huge impact on the ending of the game?

Manmademan said:
I'm almost entirely melee also. (I have some soul arrows and a longbow, but rarely use either.)

With a good shield and an upgraded spear, sen's fortress wasn't really that difficult. The enemies were an afterthought- just watching out for traps took most of my attention.

correct. those are significantly harder to find, and the enemies that drop them don't respawn- except in one spot in L.I.
I wonder if you can abuse snuggly to get a demon titanite glitch similar to the twinkling titanite one?

Chinpoko_Master said:
I had zero problems with Ceaseless Discharge. By the time I beat him I was left wondering what people were complaining about.

I had zero problems with Dragon God as well. But a giant boss that breaths fire, is entirely based around a gimmick and very disappointing... I think CD has more in common with Dragon God than Bed of Chaos.

Zzoram

JimtotheHum said:
So I joined the Darkwraiths, does that pretty much confirm Im a bad guy now? and does joining this covenent have a huge impact on the ending of the game?
It's an evil covenant but the leader is the good serpent guy strangely enough.

Oracle Dragon said:
You guys got a good level range suggestion for Bell Tower Gargs co-op? I made a new character expressly just to provide some co-op help for some of the first bosses. I'm not really getting any bites though, nor even really seeing too many summons signs. I figured anywhere from SL 12-15 should be the right range but maybe I'm off?
I was still being summoned regularly there at SL 24, so you should be safe for sure.

Ken

Zzoram said:
It's an evil covenant but the leader is the good serpent guy strangely enough.

Apparently the Darkwraiths that attacked New Londo and were needed to be sealed away are "bad Darkwraiths." Kaathe gave them powers to be Darkwraiths but they used them for in the wrong way. Of course, when he gives you the power to invade and a hand that sucks souls out of people, it's hard not to be evil.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Ken said:
Doesn't the Darksign show up on the living too? If it's spread among the Undead, and you become the Undead Dark Lord, how would you end the curse of the Darksign when the Age of Dark/Man arrives? That's why I think the Darksign is linked to the Fire; ending the Fire ends the curse.

I don't really know, I haven't thought much about the specifics of the whole thing, but the Darksign being the result of the Dark Soul is congruous with the thematic thrust of the game, to my mind. I don't really try to reconcile the details because most of the explanation of the specifics comes from either Gwynevere or Gwyndolin, who are/is pretty nakedly self-serving, or Kaathe, who doesn't seem the least bit trustworthy, what with him being the leader of the most outright villainous covenant in the game and all.

I think the game is intentionally ambiguous, and I don't really have any particular objection to that. I think any serious effort to tease out any sort of fully-consistent explanation and interpretation of the game's plot is more or less doomed to failure for that fundamental reason, and even if I'm wrong about that I don't think that a comprehensive understanding of the mechanics of what's going down and the characters' motivations for wanting them to go down that way would really increase my enjoyment of the game at all.

Wait what?

Did that butthole Petrus
kill Rhea? I saved her in The Tomb of the Giants and went to buy stuff from her in Undead Parish but when I got there she was dead.

Now he's faking being mournful, I bet he was just hating coz she wouldn't take him with her.

No miracle for me trophy this time.

Mortrialus said:
I had zero problems with Dragon God as well. But a giant boss that breaths fire, is entirely based around a gimmick and very disappointing... I think CD has more in common with Dragon God than Bed of Chaos.
I was comparing Bed of Chaos and Dragon God because they're more like puzzles than boss fights. For Dragon God, you have to fire two harpoons into him before you can finish him. For Bed of Chaos, you have to destroy his two... things on each of his sides before you can finish him.

npm0925

I am calling it quits before I become more addicted than I am now. The first half of this game, sans slowdown, is on the same plateau as the NES & SNES iterations of Zelda and Metroid. What a rush it is to explore the new areas blindly and to often die in the process. The second half of the game has little of this exploration element and feels more like an obstacle course designed to test the limits of the player's patience. I wonder what caused this shift. Anyway, this or Skyrim will likely be my GOTY.

toasty_T said:
Wait what?

Did that butthole Petrus
kill Rhea? I saved her in The Tomb of the Giants and went to buy stuff from her in Undead Parish but when I got there she was dead.

Now he's faking being mournful, I bet he was just hating coz she wouldn't take him with her.

He did.

Also,
She took Petrus with her, but he abandoned her and left her to die because he thought she was worthless without her family name. He killed her because she didn't die in the Tomb of the Giants.

DigitalDevil said:
I wonder if you can abuse snuggly to get a demon titanite glitch similar to the twinkling titanite one?

You can, along with Dragon Scales, though the latter can get expensive (5k for one egg vermifuge to trade).

knitoe

toasty_T said:
Wait what?

Did that butthole Petrus

I too missed her on two play through. Totally, forgot both times. Supposedly, after finishing Tomb, you can't travel to 2 different zones before talking to her.

kyubajin

Finally defeated Nito, damn it feels good! Only took me like 5 tries once I got to where he is, and more like 10+ times just to make it to the 2nd bonfire.

Also had Seath at about 5% HP and died :/ now I can't replicate the beating I gave him earlier.

Likewise, finally beat Demon Firesage too! The next boss is amazingly difficult though...

I feel the end of this amazing game is nearing, I'm sad but, what a wonderful ride has t been!

knitoe said:
I too missed her on two play through. Totally, forgot both times. Supposedly, after finishing Tomb, you can't travel to 2 different zones before talking to her.

No. You can't travel to two different zones without buying all of her spells or Petrus will kill her. He will still kill her if you talk to her. You can prevent this by preemptively killing Petrus. If you buy all of her spells, she will be kidnapped by Seath the Scaleless's servants and experimented upon until she becomes hollow.

sixghost

DangerousDave said:
The problem of that zone is that, going without walkthrough, is being killed in a room, start, being killed in the second room, restart, etc.

Also, for a pure melee character, too much long-range wizards throwing you shit while you are one inch away of falling, fighting guys and avoiding blades.

Depths, 5fpsTown or Undead whatever are much more easier.
Disagree. I was pure melee and went through without hints or anything. I died 4-5 times in the first 3-4 rooms, but once I got used to the beats of the place, I started doing much better and went through without dying after that. You just have to be very thorough, and check the walls and floor for openings for darts and pressure plates on the floor.

That was my favorite area the first time through. It felt like such an accomplishment to make it to the roof.

Kurod

Banned
Some quick questions:

Are Divine and Occult considered status effects or added damage for certain enemies?

How do the values translate to damage or effect rate? Most weapons I've seen have 110 as the value with the exception of the Astora straight sword with 120 divine. Is this difference just for fluff?

Edit: I know divine weapons keep the skelies dead in the catacombs but is that it?

Haunted

I just saw a Youtube video of someone playing the Catacombs with a Fire Whip and old Castlevania music running in the background and it looked better than any of the actual 3D Castlevanias we got.

;_;

Defuser

Haunted said:
I just saw a Youtube video of someone playing the Catacombs with a Fire Whip and old Castlevania music running in the background and it looked better than any of the actual 3D Castlevanias we got.

;_;
Link to video? I would love to see it but yeah, This is how 3d Castlevania should have been.

Mortrialus said:
Dark Souls story related questions, very spoilery.

Did the game ever reveal what was the cause of the Darksign?

And did Gwyn link the fire knowing it would have consumed him? Kaathe, who strikes me as being very reliable, doesn't paint an altruistic picture of Gwyn to say the least.
Oracle Dragon said:
I don't believe it ever revealed the source of the Darksign. I would say Gwyn DID know what would happen to him, but he was motivated by fear. He didn't do it to save everyone else, he did it because he was terrified of the Age of Fire ending and the coming Darkness. My assumption that he knew is because NPC dialog and the description on his items/armor (in NG+) indicate that he divided up his power before going to Kiln of the First Flame to link the fire. He took almost none of his power, his items like the crown etc had no power left, and he could not use his sunlight bolts any longer.

Where are you guys getting all this story stuff? I honestly don't remember any exposition at all aside from vague conversations and flavor text on weapons. Just gleaned from character conversations? Outside reading?

sixghost

I'm not sure if we are allowed to link to GameFAQs here, but there is a pretty long thread there piecing together the story bits from NPC dialogue and item descriptions. I'll post the link if it's okay.

MomoPufflet said:
Where are you guys getting all this story stuff? I honestly don't remember any exposition at all aside from vague conversations and flavor text on weapons. Just gleaned from character conversations? Outside reading?

By listening to all the vague conversations and reading all the flavor text on items.

Booshka

Wow, I was just going through Great Hollow killing some Crystal Lizards, when two of them dropped Titanite Slabs back to back. Holy luck.

Booshka said:
Wow, I was just going through Great Hollow killing some Crystal Lizards, when two of them dropped Titanite Slabs back to back. Holy luck.

Just FYI to anyone interested in killing Crystal Lizards, if you quit game and reload by the spawn area of a lizard who disappeared, they'll respawn and be ripe for killing (Though this can take a few attempts).

sixghost

I do have a question about the lore though.

In the last act of the game, you need to go kill the 4 things that received/found the lord souls. But at the beginning of the game is says Nito, the Witch of Izalith, Gwyn, and the pygmy all found lord souls. Then Gwyn gave his to the 4 Kings before he went to link the flame. Hence, those three are all part of the last act, but is it ever mentioned how Seath got his?

elty

I am SL60, not even finish Anor Londo yet. I was at Sif waiting for summon, and surprisingly got summoned twice (thought people avoid being human there). One of them gave me 45000 souls though, so I assume someone was in NG+ with SL 66 at the most? Did I grind too much already?

Septimius

Man. PvP was such a let down tonight. Seriously guys. Let me tell you about my few invades today

One guy was missing when I entered. I realised he might be standing in the strange hidden path near the beginning of the map. "There he is!" I proclaimed, glad to finally have found the bastard. He then AoE blasts and pushes me off the edge
Another guy used Slow AOE, fog ring and threw fireballs from a distance

These were the worst offenders. All the others clock in closely. Man, online is just broken.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
sixghost said:

In the last act of the game, you need to go kill the 4 things that received/found the lord souls. But at the beginning of the game is says Nito, the Witch of Izalith, Gwyn, and the pygmy all found lord souls. Then Gwyn gave his to the 4 Kings before he went to link the flame. Hence, those three are all part of the last act, but is it ever mentioned how Seath got his?

Gwyn split his Lord Soul between Seath and the Four Kings before he left for the Kiln. It says as much in the descriptions of the Bequeathed Lord Souls you get from them.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
sixghost said:

The beginning of the game mentions Seath, doesn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom