• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
sixghost said:
I'm not sure if we are allowed to link to GameFAQs here, but there is a pretty long thread there piecing together the story bits from NPC dialogue and item descriptions. I'll post the link if it's okay.

Yes please.

Ken

Hawkian said:
The beginning of the game mentions Seath, doesn't it?
It just mentions that Seath betrayed his own.
Looks like Seath has a Bequeathed Lord Soul rather than a full Lprd Soul, so Gwynn must have given him and the Four Kings parts of the same soul.

The Pygmy
found the Dark Soul, not a Lord Soul.

Holy cow, finally I saw a Spiked Shield drop from
Kirk
...had to go into NG++++ to see only one of them.

Last item in the whole game that I still need, the Symbol of Avarice.

Funny how I still haven't seen a Sack drop from the butchers even after 5(+1) runs into the depths, heh. Glad someone gave it to me a few days ago :>

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I keep messing around with NG+ but ultimately, it's just not the same the second time around. Still, I beat Dark Souls...something I never did with Demon's Souls. Sort of sad the experience is over.

Quikies83 said:
Where would be the best place to get some large titanite shards?? Im needing to get my claymore up to double digits.

If you've been to the end of Sen's Fortress yet, there's a guy who will sell you some for I think 4000 a piece. You don't need to have defeated the boss. There's a jump you can make across a crumbled stone rafter right in front of the guy who manages the iron balls.

EDIT: If you haven't been far enough to even access Sen's Fortress yet, you don't really need to be worrying about getting your Claymore to +13.

Varna

Quikies83 said:
Where would be the best place to get some large titanite shards?? Im needing to get my claymore up to double digits.

The guard mini-boss at the second part of Sen's Fortress has a nearly 100% drop rate on them (takes less then a minute to run back to the bonfire).

The leeches in the swamp also have a good drop rate with them. They also drop green shards that help with building up divine, fire and magic weapons.

EDIT: Yeah... I don't buy any of this stuff. It's so simple to farm in once you know where to go.

Quikies83

Conciliator said:
If you've been to the end of Sen's Fortress yet, there's a guy who will sell you some for I think 4000 a piece. You don't need to have defeated the boss. There's a jump you can make across a crumbled stone rafter right in front of the guy who manages the iron balls.

EDIT: If you haven't been far enough to even access Sen's Fortress yet, you don't really need to be worrying about getting your Claymore to +13.
Thank you sir

InternHertz said:
Holy cow, finally I saw a Spiked Shield drop from
Kirk
...had to go into NG++++ to see only one of them.

Last item in the whole game that I still need, the Symbol of Avarice.

I was meaning to ask about this. So the shield is intended to be a rare drop or what? Seems really strange... I couldn't figure out why I didn't get it when I killed him in Demon Ruins.

elty

Varna said:
The guard mini-boss at the second part of Sen's Fortress has a nearly 100% drop rate on them (takes less then a minute to run back to the bonfire).

The leeches in the swamp also have a good drop rate with them. They also drop green shards that help with building up divine, fire and magic weapons.

EDIT: Yeah... I don't buy any of this stuff. It's so simple to farm in once you know where to go.

Huh, which guard miniboss?

elty

Where would be a good place to get some summon? SL60 at the moment.

Got 2 at Sif in 15 minutes, nothing in S&O for 30 minutes.

NeoCross

So what's a good greatsword to turn into a lightning weapon? I turned my Zwei into fire and I hate using up all my stamina on two/three attacks, lol.

Is the claymore/bastard sword any good as lightning weapons?

elty

Oracle Dragon said:
No linking the fire is the bad ending, it means you got tricked into sacrificing yourself so Dark Sun Gwyndolin in Anor Londo could maintiain his immortality and power at your expense. Someone has to sacrifice themselve to link the fire, and he sure as heck doesn't want it to be HIM ;)

It's the same kind of ending as in Demons Souls, ie: do "somthing" (press button on controller) = bad ending. Do "nothing" (walk away out of the boss room) = good ending.

Can you kill Gwyndolin but still link the fire? What happen then?

Manmademan said:
its similar to the knight in the undead chapel, and in the painted world right before priscilla. big knight with a shield, but not the "silver" or "black" knight types.

The knight that guard the way to Prince? I thought he is just a respawning black knight :/

Anyways, I farm my large shard at the depth. Is Blighttown really better?

Ken

elty said:

I'm getting decent summoning rate at S&O. SL 52 and in the Sunbro Covenant of Jolly Co-operation.

tokkun

elty said:

I had good luck with Four Kings and Demon Firesage yesterday.

Ill Saint

Was trying to get the cool backflip ring...
took out Shiva, ninja guy pops out
and my poor sorceror struggled a lot and eventually died. Did I blow my shot at getting the ring? Guy doesn't seem to want to return.

Ken

abstract alien said:
So...
the stoned blacksmith you can get to after you beat the butterfly...can you unstone him
some way?

Nope.

You can find other stoned blacksmiths later.

Ill Saint said:
Was trying to get the cool backflip ring...
took out Shiva, ninja guy pops out
and my poor sorceror struggled a lot and eventually died. Did I blow my shot at getting the ring? Guy doesn't seem to want to return.

I assume you need to absolve your sins and rejoin the covenant, although I'm not sure if it will bring the ninja back since absolving sins doesn't bring back the dead.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
So long as we're talking about story/setting for a minute, earlier in the thread we had a geography discussion where I said that I
didn't think Ash Lake was the lowest area in the world,
but now I think I was mistaken in that.

I thought that Lost Izalith was below it because you could see the roots of the Great Hollow from Demon's Ruins, but after going through the area again those roots are too shallow and in the wrong direction to be from the Great Hollow. And I thought that Nito was below it because you emerge into Ash Lake towards the end of the Tomb of Giants, then continue descending to meet Nito. But you're actually way higher up in Ash Lake at that point than you are when you emerge from the Great Hollow, and you don't descend far enough after that point to go below it. At the lowest, Nito is right about at the same level as the area of Ash Lake you traverse when you go through the Great Hollow.

The only question mark, I think, is
the Abyss, which is pretty much impossible to gauge exactly.

elty said:

I killed him and linked the fire with my first character. Nothing changes. Like everything ending related, it is a mystery.

elty said:

Good question. I've been pondering this myself.
I'd assume the age of fire continues, but you've killed all of the lords/gods and Gwyndolin is obviously unable to rule the world.

ixix said:
So long as we're talking about story/setting for a minute, earlier in the thread we had a geography discussion where I said that I
didn't think Ash Lake was the lowest area in the world,
but now I think I was mistaken in that.

I thought that Lost Izalith was below it because you could see the roots of the Great Hollow from Demon's Ruins, but after going through the area again those roots are too shallow and in the wrong direction to be from the Great Hollow. And I thought that Nito was below it because you emerge into Ash Lake towards the end of the Tomb of Giants, then continue descending to meet Nito. But you're actually way higher up in Ash Lake at that point than you are when you emerge from the Great Hollow, and you don't descend far enough after that point to go below it. At the lowest, Nito is right about at the same level as the area of Ash Lake you traverse when you go through the Great Hollow.

The only question mark, I think, is
the Abyss, which is pretty much impossible to gauge exactly.

I killed him and linked the fire with my first character. Nothing changes. Like everything ending related, it is a mystery.

In regards to the world's geography, I think the only way it makes any sense is if we are dealing with a flat world with multiple layers. There is the surface layer, with Lordran and the human nations. Holding up this layer is the Ash Lake. The trees support the surface layer. Below the Ash Lake is lost Izalith. At last that is how I saw it.

Ken said:
Nope.

Damn. I accidentally killed the one next to the church in the stairway, so the only other I have access to is the one in Londo. I don't wanna pay the priest 70,000 bells to bring him back to life, but I think I might since the two are different :^(

Ill Saint

Ken said:
Nope.

I assume you need to absolve your sins and rejoin the covenant, although I'm not sure if it will bring the ninja back since absolving sins doesn't bring back the dead.
Looks like I messed it up. Ninja didn't return after he kicked my butt. Balls.

Ken said:
Nope.

I have the backflip ring, but I think I got it by killing shiva (or other forest guardians) when he came after me for breaking the forest covenant.

Nice, found a great spot to snipe both those boulder tossing golems at the top of Sen's Fortress (the empty area behind that one Balder knight enemy).

I had poison arrows with me & after 2 direct hits, they get poisoned & slowly(10 minutes) take up to 500 points of damage before the poison wears off.

Easy way to take them out without risking anything.

Ken

abstract alien said:
Damn. I accidentally killed the one next to the church in the stairway, so the only other I have access to is the one in Londo. I don't wanna pay the priest 70,000 bells to bring him back to life, but I think I might since the two are different :^(

Thought you couldn't bring back dead NPCs; only return them to a non-aggro'd state. Haven't absolved sins yet (Oswald is pretty creepy) so I can't say for sure.

Andrei can ascend Divine and Raw weapons, so if you plan on sticking with elemental weapons you might be able to make it through using the other blacksmiths.

Blacksmith spoilers:

Vamos in the Catacombs can ascend fire weapons, while the giant in Anor Londo can ascend lightning.

Manmademan said:
I have the backflip ring, but I think I got it by killing shiva (or other forest guardians) when he came after me for breaking the forest covenant.

The invisible ninja guarding Shiva drops the ring. Attacking Shiva (drops Murakumo and his shield) aggros the ninja.

abstract alien said:

paying the priest won't bring him back. If you killed a smith, he's gone for good.

Nice, found a great spot to snipe both those boulder tossing golems at the top of Sen's Fortress (the empty area behind that one Balder knight enemy).

I had poison arrows with me & after 2 direct hits, they get poisoned & slowly(10 minutes) take up to 500 points of damage before the poison wears off.

Easy way to take them out without risking anything.

yeah, poison arrows are disturbingly effective against certain enemy types. The blue "elite" guards in front of S&O won't even register as being shot, and just collapse from poison after a few minutes.

Same deal with those nasty worms in demon ruins. 3 arrows, a few minutes, and they fall over dead.

Ken said:
Thought you couldn't bring back dead NPCs; only return them to a non-aggro'd state. Haven't absolved sins yet (Oswald is pretty creepy) so I can't say for sure.

Andrei can ascend Divine and Raw weapons, so if you plan on sticking with elemental weapons you might be able to make it through using the other blacksmiths.
Shit...

Manmademan said:
paying the priest won't bring him back. If you killed a smith, he's gone for good.
Double shit. I'm already terrible at this game, so I'm screwed lol

Ken said:
Blacksmith spoilers:

Vamos in the Catacombs can ascend fire weapons, while the giant in Anor Londo can ascend lightning.
Hmm, I might be able to make it then...

Ken said:

Blacksmith spoilers:

Fire and chaos for the catacombs, lightning and boss souls for anor londo. it's possible to get by without divine or raw weapons (what the hell does Raw even do??), but the stuff andre sells (shards, the upgrade equipment) is even more valuable, imho.

The catacombs smith is a bitch to get to if you don't have any divine weapons to keep the skeletons down, and getting out of where he is, is arguably worse. Keep a homeward bone on you if you're going to track him down.

The invisible ninja guarding Shiva drops the ring. Attacking Shiva (drops Murakumo and his shield) aggros the ninja.

I think that might be it. When a bug got me kicked me out of the covenant, shiva and a horde of NPCs came after me in the forest- I didn't really know who shiva was at the time, but he was pretty pissed off. I noticed the ring in my inventory later- it's pretty handy.

J2d

Got my platinum tonight. Since I missed where the white slab was on my first two runs I had to shut down the console as soon as I had gotten one weapon trophy to spare myself grinding for another one, so glad that worked. After 100+ hours I feel like I'm sick of the game and it mostly comes from some of the terrible areas, technical issues and the in my opinion insane difficulty on NG+ and beyond.

MomoPufflet said:
I was meaning to ask about this. So the shield is intended to be a rare drop or what? Seems really strange... I couldn't figure out why I didn't get it when I killed him in Demon Ruins.
I don't really know, but at least for me it was a rare drop. From NG to NG+++ I killed him all 3 times and only got the sword the first time. Then on NG++++ I skipped the first encounter and only killed him on the second, and the shield dropped.

Then again the Sack from the Butchers is supposedly not that rare at all but in 6 tries (12 butchers), even with 410 Item Searching, absolutely none dropped.
If nobody had given one to me I would still be farming those. Though I must admit that I really would like for one to drop in my game, just to see if it can actually drop there =D

Holy shit. Just kamikazed the hell out of S&O. Boss fight spoilers:
I was able to take Ornstein down reliably with 4 Great Fireballs, but powered-up Smough kept killing me with his charge attack because he'd knock me down, then swing his hammer around right as I was getting up and killing me before I could dodge. I finally managed to whittle him down so he only had one hit left, I had one Great Combustion left...and he does the charge attack and knocks me down. I see him winding up his swing, I start going "oh shit oh shit oh shit" and spamming the attack button hoping to cast GC before he kills me....and I get it off right as he hits me. Both of us go down, but I get the souls before I respawn so it was just a matter of trekking back and grabbing them. Whew.
Damn, after an hour of trying that fight over and over, I finally managed to solo it.

Also, I kind of want to make my character dive headfirst into
Gwynevere's chest.

Ra1den

J2d said:
Got my platinum tonight. Since I missed where the white slab was on my first two runs I had to shut down the console as soon as I had gotten one weapon trophy to spare myself grinding for another one, so glad that worked. After 100+ hours I feel like I'm sick of the game and it mostly comes from some of the terrible areas, technical issues and the in my opinion insane difficulty on NG+ and beyond.

I found it much easier on NG+ thanks to my equipment...does it get much harder on NG++?

Ra1den said:
I found it much easier on NG+ thanks to my equipment...does it get much harder on NG++?
Nope, I'm on NG++++ now and the hardest jump is from NG to NG+. NG++, NG+++ and NG++++ were not that much harder.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Damn. This badboy:
dragon_king_greataxe.png
is just wreckin' fools. Hydra went down like nothin', Havel the Rock too. Feels good, man.

J2d

Ra1den said:
For my melee character it did atleast, NG++ and around soul level 130. I don't remember feeling so abused in Demon's Souls to be honest.

elty

See You Next Wednesday said:
Yeah, when I saw a serpent shooting magic from an unreachable platform when I was on a narrow ledge with swing blades & with a pit at the bottom that has super tough enemies I just said 'fuck it'.

I'm watching a video on getting through there the easiest way.

There are 2 places with the mage shooting from the top.

For the first one near entrance, you just need to stand at the start of the narrow ledge, then shoot arrows to it. It will do like 7 damage but with 8 shots or show it will push it off the platform and die from the drop.

For the second one that is on a narrower ledge, you first move to the ledge to get a target, then keep shooting arrows which will stagger it from firing lightening bolt at you. Just keep shooting, adjust your position (you probably need to switch to manual aim mode) when it got pushed inside, I only used wooden arrow with a regular Long Bow and it died pretty quickly.

MomoPufflet said:
Where are you guys getting all this story stuff? I honestly don't remember any exposition at all aside from vague conversations and flavor text on weapons. Just gleaned from character conversations? Outside reading?

Lots from items, really only 1 NPC gives you any straight information. I find it enthralling to learn about the story this way but I can't claim to be clever enough to really have pieced it together. Mostly I have my own knowledge from dark souls threads and the wiki(s).

scy

abstract alien said:
Hmm, I might be able to make it then...

Just a note, you can't get Lightning weapons without
Andrei
as you need to be able to Ascend to +6 to get a +10 weapon; your only elemental one you can do is Fire/Chaos from
Vamos
since that just needs a +5. You can still get Magic/Enchanted weapons via
Rickert in New Lando
though.

Ken

scy said:
Just a note, you can't get Lightning weapons without
Andrei
as you need to be able to Ascend to +6 to get a +10 weapon; your only elemental one you can do is Fire/Chaos from
Vamos
since that just needs a +5. You can still get Magic/Enchanted weapons via
Rickert in New Lando
though.

The Anor Londo blacksmith can still upgrade the Lightning Spear from Sen's though, right? If so, he still has a lightning weapon to use if needed.

Aselith

Conciliator said:

I read this as "massages" my first time through the sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom