• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oracle Dragon said:
Lots from items, really only 1 NPC gives you any straight information. I find it enthralling to learn about the story this way but I can't claim to be clever enough to really have pieced it together. Mostly I have my own knowledge from dark souls threads and the wiki(s).

I guess it is that none of the characters or locations really meant anything to me aside from when I heard the
spider girl
talk, and
her keeper
. I could grab onto that. I would be totally interested in reading a compilation of peoples' findings, but I guess I am just not invested enough to wrack my brain trying to figure it out with so little information.

sixghost

MomoPufflet said:
I guess it is that none of the characters or locations really meant anything to me aside from when I heard the
spider girl
talk, and
her keeper
. I could grab onto that. I would be totally interested in reading a compilation of peoples' findings, but I guess I am just not invested enough to wrack my brain trying to figure it out with so little information.
Did you see the link I posted last page? It's incredible how much people are piecing together.

I could end the game now, but want to do things normally wouldn't dare, like killing NPC for items and stufff..

What should I do before killing the final boss?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
sotodefonk said:
I could end the game now, but want to do things normally wouldn't dare, like killing NPC for items and stufff..

Have you killed
Priscilla?

You can turn Anor Londo dark- revealing its true nature- by attacking Gwynevere.

Gwyndolin is someone to kill too, althought the fight sounds really tough.
Other than that, anybody you don't like? :p

EasyMode

Finally discovered the awesomeness of the Dark Wood Grain Ring. I thought it only changed your rolls, but it also lets you move at full speed as long as equip burden is %50 or under.

elty

Anyone use Ring of Favor & Protection? It sounds awesome on paper as I have Havel ring on almost 100% of time. But that thing breaks upon removal so it is pretty much permanent.

Wool

sotodefonk said:

If you kill all of the firekeepers that are killable, you can upgrade your estus flasks and the upgrades will carry over to NG+.

For that matter, killing most NPCs will net you something that you'll be able to use next game with them alive and not mad at you.

It's kind of a pain in the ass, but you should try to get covenant stuff out of the way before you start fresh if you're going for trophies as well. Then in the following playthroughs you can just join whichever covenant suits your fancy.

Hawkian said:
Have you killed
Priscilla?

You can turn Anor Londo dark- revealing its true nature- by attacking Gwynevere.

Gwyndolin is someone to kill too, althought the fight sounds really tough.
Other than that, anybody you don't like? :p

well already killed
priscilla, gwendolin (her fight isnt too bad, just roll away from the big magic ball, and wait behing the pillar for the homing ones, when she throws arrows, its time to run and get close with your shield up, just go in zig-zag), also killed big hat logan after buying all his spells.

Making anor londo dark, make other mosnter spawn to get unique items and stuff?

What to get whatever I can to get the trophies...

Booshka

elty said:
Anyone use Ring of Favor & Protection? It sounds awesome on paper as I have Havel ring on almost 100% of time. But that thing breaks upon removal so it is pretty much permanent.
I use it all the time, it is amazing, I suggest putting it on and modifying your build to stay under 50% equip, and then just raise your END to your liking for heavy armor. It is probably the best ring in the game for a melee heavy build

Jonsoncao

Banned
sotodefonk said:
Making anor londo dark, make other mosnter spawn to get unique items and stuff?

What to get whatever I can to get the trophies...

Not really,
all the enemies, scaleless gargoyles, halberd giants, etc, will disappear, instead two new enemies will spawn in the main hall in front of the fat&skinny boss fight room.

Booshka said:
I use it all the time, it is amazing, I suggest putting it on and modifying your build to stay under 50% equip, and then just raise your END to your liking for heavy armor. It is probably the best ring in the game for a melee heavy build

Havel's +Darkwood grain ring works better in PVP, the extra defense from the armor Havel's ring allowing you to put on without going into overweight, IMO, is really worth it than the 20% extra health with ROFP. It is like you could have Havel's set+Great shield of Artorias but still roll with the max speed.

Ken

K' Dash said:
Any tips for Seath the Scaleless? I had a 10 second fight and he kept regenerating.

First time encounter with Seath will always end with you losing. Second time, he has a crystal in the map that needs to be broken before trying to kill him.

Jonsoncao

Banned
K' Dash said:
Any tips for Seath the Scaleless? I had a 10 second fight and he kept regenerating.
Destroy
the crystal in which he resides his soul
, if you speak with Logan in the Archive he will tell you when Seath got it.

tokkun

elty said:

Well, it is probably the single best ring, but I like to have my options open because I switch up my rings a lot depending on the situation and strategy; Havel's, Hornet, Bellowing Dragoncrest, Dark Wood Grain, Cloranthy, Fog, Serpent's, etc.

Also, when you get in a situation where you have to wear another ring (Artorias, Darkmoon, Cat's) then you lose out on any strategy choice.

Trevelyon

Kaathe won't disappear if I join any other covenant except Princess Guard and try interact with him, right? Wanna farm humanity for the Dark Hand DX, need to farm at the Pinewheel caves but need to get the lordvessel first.

Dresden

You can get two Ring of Favor and Protections per NG, so just put one on when you know you'll be pvping for a while.

For PVE there's too many good rings, darkwood grain ring + cloranthy comes to mind.

Kalnos

Banned
Trevelyon said:
Kaathe won't disappear if I join any other covenant except Princess Guard and try interact with him, right? Wanna farm humanity for the Dark Hand DX, need to farm at the Pinewheel caves but need to get the lordvessel first.

I joined Darkmoon, blue eye orb sucked, and I was able to rejoin fine.

K' Dash

Ken said:
First time encounter with Seath will always end with you losing. Second time, he has a crystal in the map that needs to be broken before trying to kill him.

that sounds difficult enough, the motherfucker has a very wide and strong attack...

Damn.

Booshka

K' Dash said:
that sounds difficult enough, the motherfucker has a very wode and strong attack...

Damn.
Do you have the Slumbering Dragoncrest Ring? He is
blind, so if you have silent footsteps it makes the fight much easier. Don't be afraid to rush in on his gut and get a combo on it, then run away get your stamina back and repeat. If you are going for the tail, that requires more patience and technique.

Booshka

Varna said:
Took me three hours of farming in New Londo to get one slab of titanite... only three more to go. :(
Don't do that to yourself, just go through more NG+'s for the guaranteed 2. I just got lucky and got two back to back from Crystal Lizards in the Great Hollow. What are you trying to do with 4 slabs anyway?

K' Dash

Booshka said:
Do you have the Slumbering Dragoncrest Ring? He is
blind, so if you have silent footsteps it makes the fight much easier. Don't be afraid to rush in on his gut and get a combo on it, then run away get your stamina back and repeat. If you are going for the tail, that requires more patience and technique.

Where can I find this ring and don't worry, I don't want to cut his tail, just want to kill the motherfucker
LLShC.gif

Went on a buying out, then killing, merchant slaughterfest. Took out Patches, the schmuck from Sen's, the guy in Undead Burg, Petrus, and the Chapel guy (forgive that you douche!). I kind of feel a little bad, but I got something like twenty humanity.

I also killed
the Hollowed versions of
the Church girl and the young sorcerer. I almost felt bad about killing the girl as her hits barely registered on the stamina meter and she went down from one great combustion. :(

Booshka

K' Dash said:
Where can I find this ring and don't worry, I don't want to cut his tail, just want to kill the motherfucker
LLShC.gif
Sen's Fortress, you need to drop down to get it, not the very bottom, the second platform above it. You can probably drop off from one of the narrow walkways to get to it.

Kalnos

Banned
Booshka said:
Don't do that to yourself, just go through more NG+'s for the guaranteed 2. I just got lucky and got two back to back from Crystal Lizards in the Great Hollow. What are you trying to do with 4 slabs anyway?

I think it's an achievement?

Kalnos

Banned
Dresden said:
No he's trying to +10 all his armor, I think.

Ah, that's probably true. Haven't bothered with that yet because twinkling titanite is a pain in the ass to get without using the glitch.

Booshka

Dresden said:
No he's trying to +10 all his armor, I think.
I thought about doing that with the Elite Knight set, but it's only worth taking the Chestpiece to +10, you can mix and match with better gear for the Gauntlets, Leggings and Helm. I took the Leggings to +10, which I kinda regret, but I left the other two at +9, the jump from +9 to +10 in stats is not worth a Slab.

Venfayth

Got through Ash Lake and Anor Londo today. Just have to say that while Demon's Souls had some fantastic environments, Dark Souls takes the fuckin cake. Holy shit, I can't believe how awesome these look. Also, the boss fight at the end of the painted world was pretty damn creative and fun.

stolin

Finally just got my Platinum Trophy for Dark Souls !

Truly epic, my GOTY. 151 hours.

The last NG++ run to the Giant Blacksmith in Andor Londo for crafting the last 2 Boss Souls was a little too much... 2 full runs would have suited it better.

Too many hours was just waiting for the multiplayer for invasion or summon to succeed or fail for the Covenant items. This should have been streamlined.

Not sure what else to say.. but I hope From Software makes a 3rd game.
Congrats & Thanks From Software !

http://www.ps3trophies.com/trophies/Dark-Souls/STolin

Edit: According to this list I'm #52 to get Platinum.. not sure which regions this includes. http://www.ps3trophies.com/trophy/Dark-Souls/The-Dark-Soul

oh wow, and i thought multiplayer couldn't get any worse for me... i try all night to find people to summon me and finally someone does yay! and ohh shit i see that he's been invaded so i rush in to help and backstab the invader. damn felt awesome! then the host messages me "fuck you jew".... yeah okayyy.... apparently i ruined their 1 vs 1 match. why the FUCK did you summon me then? you goddamn sad little nazi-wannabe with "SS" in your username (seriously). i hope your life sucks and your family hates you.

fucking mega-ughhhh. can i report this piece of shit? how do i do it on PSN?

Grinchy

Banned
Acullis said:
Got through Ash Lake and Anor Londo today. Just have to say that while Demon's Souls had some fantastic environments, Dark Souls takes the fuckin cake. Holy shit, I can't believe how awesome these look. Also, the boss fight at the end of the painted world was pretty damn creative and fun.
lol only a crazy company like this would do all the modeling and animation for a boss that you don't even end up
seeing while you fight it
. I liked this boss fight quite a bit as well.

Varna

Booshka said:

Just trying to get two maxed out weapons and my elite knight armor to 10 for my before I hit the end. Hasn't been all bad. Plenty of chunks so I've been upgrading other armors and weapons I eventually want to have at high levels.

I was summoned for the final part of the game earlier and the guy got invaded... He was using the black knights to separate us so I had to take him on one on one. I was doing very well considering he was employing just about every dirty tactic you could pull (fog ring and such). Just when I was about to finish him off he somehow black stabbed me while he was facing me... some kind of glitch?

I'm just trying to get Seaths tail to finally close in on 100% in the game... but man... THOSE GODDAMN CLAMS! Huge aggro range, way to long to die, and they do big damage to me. So stupid.

Aselith

Dude, what the fucking Christ? If you do the thing where you make Anor Londo dark, everytime you die it sends you back to the beginning of the level and you have to move the bridge so you can get onto it again. I died twice and left. Fuck wasting five minutes doing that stupid shit. Why the fuck doesn't it just send you back to the fire near the thing or the other fucking fire?

stolin

Oracle Dragon said:
I'm just trying to get Seaths tail to finally close in on 100% in the game... but man... THOSE GODDAMN CLAMS! Huge aggro range, way to long to die, and they do big damage to me. So stupid.

There's a trick to for fighting Seath without the clams.
Run past that first batch of clams before the fight, when you fight Seath simply turn around, smash the crystal, then hit Start and Quit the game. When you reload there will be no clams for the fight against the dragon. Enjoy!

Aselith said:
Dude, what the fucking Christ? If you do the thing where you make Anor Londo dark, everytime you die it sends you back to the beginning of the level and you have to move the bridge so you can get onto it again. I died twice and left. Fuck wasting five minutes doing that stupid shit. Why the fuck doesn't it just send you back to the fire near the thing or the other fucking fire?

Because you essentially destroyed the bonfires, i think, even though they're still active.

I put a warning in the thread about
killing gwyndolin before killing gwynevere for the reason of being able to respawn at darkmoon fire if you lost while fighting him.

The best solution is to run to the bonfire in Sen's, it's quicker than the way you're thinking of an you can warp to either of the fires you *wish* you spawned at.

bathala

Banned
Trevelyon said:
I knelt and joined Princess Guard and still able to join Gravelord

Aselith

corrosivefrost said:
Because you essentially destroyed the bonfires, i think, even though they're still active.

I put a warning in the thread about
killing gwyndolin before killing gwynevere for the reason of being able to respawn at darkmoon fire if you lost while fighting him.

The best solution is to run to the bonfire in Sen's, it's quicker than the way you're thinking of an you can warp to either of the fires you *wish* you spawned at.

Thanks, man! That was very helpfully and ironically I beat her my first time warping from a different fire so I didn't need to really take advantage of it. :p

Jonsoncao said:
two new enemies will spawn in the main hall in front of the fat&skinny boss fight room.

Wow, just made anor londo dark and those 2 new enemies, are easy as fuck, 5000 souls each and the bonfire is right there.

So 10000 souls + gold serpent ring= 12000 souls in under a minute, best farm point ever :D maybe I can finally absolve my sins and join the forest covenant for the trophy :)

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Is it 'safe' to play this one online, then?
I finishing up my first ever run of DeS now, and I'm playing offline in order to manage CTs and WTs and maximize the unique events experience (getting all tendency events in one run).

I know that DaS lacks some of the tendency shenanigans, but do I need to worry about invading phantoms aggroing/killing NPCs in my game, or anything of the sort? I'd rather not have some douche bag ruin my run with some random violence that I can't prevent...

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom