• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

Mejilan said:
Is it 'safe' to play this one online, then?
I finishing up my first ever run of DeS now, and I'm playing offline in order to manage CTs and WTs and maximize the unique events experience (getting all tendency events in one run).

I know that DaS lacks some of the tendency shenanigans, but do I need to worry about invading phantoms aggroing/killing NPCs in my game, or anything of the sort? I'd rather not have some douche bag ruin my run with some random violence that I can't prevent...

Thanks again!

Phantoms can't interact with NPCs.

mudkyp

I have no idea if this has been mentioned, but if you are playing on PS3 and the trophy for arriving in
nor Londo
doesn't trigger, you can get it to trigger on NG+. I think the trick is to immediately leave after defeating the
Iron Golem
instead of going back to the bonfire.

feel

(firelink bonfire related)

After killing the guy who murdered the firekeeper woman, I got distracted and used her soul to upgrade my estus flask... I have permanently killed my chances of ever lighting up the firelink shrine bonfire again. It's one of my favorite locations and even if it's just a videogame, I'm completely devastated right now.. fuck this.. seriously :_(

scy

Ken said:
The Anor Londo blacksmith can still upgrade the Lightning Spear from Sen's though, right? If so, he still has a lightning weapon to use if needed.

A bit late on the response but, yeah, anyone can upgrade it, actually; you just need the specific smiths with the embers to do the Ascension (i.e., making a Lightning Weapon from a Standard +10). If you're fine with using a Spear, then the Lightning Spear is there still (and then there's the Occult Club if you want an Occult or Divine weapon).

cj_iwakura

Ghost_Protocol said:
Ok. How in the fuck are people beating super Ornstein in New Game +? He must have killed me 15 times. His lightning lance skewer move kills me in one hit.

Don't let it hit you. Use magic, and STAY BACK.

Dresden said:
Just stay in front of him. Roll out of the crystal breath. Roll back from swipes. Hit his soft belly until he dies. Going behind him is suicide.

Seath is a very easy boss UNTIL you go for his tail to get the sword.

Currently stuck fighting him and intersting. I swear I've heard alot of people suggest to stay at his side. I'll have to try for the front approach.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Letters said:

After killing the guy who murdered the firekeeper woman, I got distracted and used her soul to upgrade my estus flask... I have permanently killed my chances of ever lighting up the firelink shrine bonfire again. It's one of my favorite locations and even if it's just a videogame, I'm completely devastated right now.. fuck this.. seriously :_(

yeah I think you fucked yourself until NG+

Abylim

Plat, finally!
Thanks Gaf, the info on here, and the wiki was what helped most. 83 hours total, NG++++.

Fucking hell, bosses are ridiculous at that level!
Last thing I needed was the miracle from onionbro (I kept ignoring him, had to kill the end boss to start a new cycle just for onionbro).

Feelsgoodman.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
So I was enjoying Anor Londo, minding my own business (the business of killing painting guardians), and I hit the button prompt at the painting without really thinking. I realized what I had done the instant I hit it, but I didn't know it was a one way trip. In prototypical Dark Souls fashion, the new area fucked my shit up and I was gravely concerned. Now it's getting easier because I know what I'm doing, at least up until the battle with Phalanx in the courtyard.

I'm a melee build. I have 3 fireball spells (fireball, fire orb, and the one that leaves lava on the ground) and not much more than 200 arrows to my name. I don't have any fire weapons to kill toxic zombies so I have to carefully poke them with the lightning spear.

2 questions:

Can I beat the Undead Dragon up close? I have Iron Flesh, this is probably the time to use it?

Also, once I get out of Painted World, can I go back in again? (Like in case I don't want to fight Priscilla yet or something.)

Abylim

Ghost_Protocol said:
Ok. How in the fuck are people beating super Ornstein in New Game +? He must have killed me 15 times. His lightning lance skewer move kills me in one hit.

Teehehe, only new game +?
I found the best thing to do was stay medium range, and punish him when he misses. Also, magic shield helps absorb the lightning element.
Start levelling int so you can use sorcs, they aboslutely break the game.

feel

g35twinturbo said:
yeah I think you fucked yourself until NG+
Wait, will there be actual consequences in the future to my mistake?
Sen's Fortress entrance bonfire is not that far away I think. I am pissed off because of the emotional attachment I had developed for the place (adore the music, visuals and vibe), and now it will feel dead.

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
hey_it's_that_dog said:
So I was enjoying Anor Londo, minding my own business (the business of killing painting guardians), and I hit the button prompt at the painting without really thinking. I realized what I had done the instant I hit it, but I didn't know it was a one way trip. In prototypical Dark Souls fashion, the new area fucked my shit up and I was gravely concerned. Now it's getting easier because I know what I'm doing, at least up until the battle with Phalanx in the courtyard.

I'm a melee build. I have 3 fireball spells (fireball, fire orb, and the one that leaves lava on the ground) and not much more than 200 arrows to my name. I don't have any fire weapons to kill toxic zombies so I have to carefully poke them with the lightning spear.

2 questions:

Can I beat the Undead Dragon up close? I have Iron Flesh, this is probably the time to use it?

Also, once I get out of Painted World, can I go back in again? (Like in case I don't want to fight Priscilla yet or something.)

If you made it that far in Anor Londo, you are definitely fit enough to survive painted world. Yes, you can beat the undead dragon up close, just make sure you don't try to fight him on the bridge. Watch for his attacks, and stand close (and to the side) to avoid getting hit with most of his stuff. The best way is to cheese him though. 200 arrows is more than enough to take him down.

I'm fairly certain you can go back to painted world again, but I honestly don't think you'll need to. Priscilla is one of the easier bosses.

hey_it's_that_dog said:

Yeah you can go back. Once you have all the doors open, make a mad dash to Priscilla and she'll let you go.

About the Phalanx', they're vulnerable from anywhere but the front. They're pretty easy to avoid if you cbf dealing with them.

hey_it's_that_dog said:

2 questions:

The Dragon has two different pathways it likes to spit poison on (one leading to his claw and the other his head/body), so get him to spit on one pathway and then hit him on the other while he's spitting. Watch out for his claws though!

And yes, you can go back as many times as you want.

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
toasty_T said:
Yeah you can go back. Once you have all the doors open, make a mad dash to Priscilla and she'll let you go.

About the Phalanx', they're vulnerable from anywhere but the front. They're pretty easy to avoid if you cbf dealing with them.

What I always did was sprint around them, and use the sprinting R1 attack on my greatsword to take out 3-4 at a time. Just keep sprinting around in circles, and when you see an exposed backside, jump attack it :)

So relating to Covanant achievements, the only trophies are the Discovery trophies or are there additional ones to obtain realting to the online play.

I really want platinum, like in Demons Souls.

Speevy

Banned
The last boss marks the first time I've ever parried in either game lol.

Parry + hornet ring + maxed out weapon = 4 hits, bye bye.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
ProudClod said:
If you made it that far in Anor Londo, you are definitely fit enough to survive painted world. Yes, you can beat the undead dragon up close, just make sure you don't try to fight him on the bridge. Watch for his attacks, and stand close (and to the side) to avoid getting hit with most of his stuff. The best way is to cheese him though. 200 arrows is more than enough to take him down.

I'm fairly certain you can go back to painted world again, but I honestly don't think you'll need to. Priscilla is one of the easier bosses.
toasty_T said:

RoboGeorgeForeman said:
The Dragon has two different pathways it likes to spit poison on (one leading to his claw and the other his head/body), so get him to spit on one pathway and then hit him on the other while he's spitting. Watch out for his claws though!

And yes, you can go back as many times as you want.
Thanks for the tips, folks! I was feeling pretty fucked when I first got there. Imagine my surprise when I died and was not transported back to my last bonfire in Anor Londo. I then made it all the way to the dragon after not so carefully struggling through way too many enemies at once. I avoided the dragon to survey the area, and then got invaded by an actual human (my first time!) and after I stabbed him a few times he ran away and camouflaged as a pile of bodies on a stick (at least I think that was him), then backstabbed me to death.

Made it back to my stain though, so it's all good.

Dark Souls!

bathala

Banned
Letters said:

Welcome to the club

Has anyone tried farming the Souviners of Reprisal from the Harpies? Was it tolerable, or is it one of those lame-ass 4 hours gets you 1 type of farms? I'm having NO luck with the blue orb, I suck at PvP anyways, and it is one of the last achievements to get 100% for me.

Jonsoncao

Banned
Considering Warrior of Sunlight covenant's Faith requirement, wiki said it is
50 - (Number of times you played in MP and helped defeat a boss X 5).

My question is: the number of helping ppl defeating the boss is counted across all playthroughs or not?

cj_iwakura said:
How do you get Server to +10 for the Furysword? I have it at +5, and it's no longer in the list.
will be in the "Modify Wpn" menu if you give Andre the large ember you found in the chest in the Depth besides the butcher.

hOotb.jpg

lol

I reckon that I will have beaten the game by tomorrow.

As it stands I feel that demon's was better. Sometimes linearity can be a good thing.

Edit: Don't get me wrong the game is still awesome as fuck.

LaneDS

I'm in NG+ now and looking for recommendations on strongest melee weapons. Been using the Gravelord's Sword +5 for most of my time, and it hits quite strong, but I wanted to see if there were some agreed upon best weapons I could use. Went through the first time without seeking guidance or tips, so for NG+ I'm pretty much all ears on ways to get through it easily.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
After some of the plot discussions earlier I combed through a bunch of item descriptions and such and compiled a list of known facts about some of the game's important characters. It took longer than I expected and it's far from exhaustive, but I thought I'd throw it out here in case someone's interested. It's formatted as a simple list of facts about characters with references to where in the game each fact can be corroborated should you be so inclined. I've tried to minimize any commentary on my part and stick purely to unadorned summaries of the game's own words. Obviously there are massive spoilers.

Here's what I've compiled:

Gwyn
- Referred to as both Lord of Sunlight and Lord of Cinder. [Opening cinematic narration, final boss fight]
- Has three known children: an unnamed eldest son, Gwynevere, and Gwyndolin. [Ring of the Sun's Firstborn, Darkmoon Blade Covenant Ring, Darkmoon Seance Ring item descriptions]
- Led a group of knights. [Opening cinematic narration, multiple item descriptions]
- Some of his knights fought the demons unleashed by the Witch of Izalith. [Black Knight Shield item description]
- Amongst the knights he led were 4 special knights who are specifically named: Artorias the Abysswalker, Hawkeye Gough, Lord's Blade Ciaran, and Ornstein the Dragonslayer. [Wolf Ring, Hawk Ring, Hornet Ring, Leo Ring item descriptions]
- At some indefinite time before the beginning of the game he left Anor Londo for the Kiln of the First Flame, taking some of his knights with him and leaving some in Anor Londo as guards. Those who went with him burned to ash when he lit the flame and were reduced to living suits of armor. [Silver Knight Armor, Black Knight Armor item descriptions]
- Before leaving to link the flame, he gave part of his Lord Soul to the Four Kings of New Londo and part of his Lord Soul to Seath the Scaleless. [Bequeathed Lord Soul item descriptions]
- Divided his power amongst his children before leaving to link the flame, taking only his sword with him. [Great Lord Greatsword item description]
- There is a tomb dedicated to him in Anor Londo. [Conversation with Gwyndolin]

Gravelord Nito
- Referred to as the First of the Dead. [Opening cinematic narration, Gravelord Sword item description]
- Pinwheel stole his power. [Mask of the Father, Mother, and Child item descriptions]
- Quietly oversees all death and waits for his servants to usher in the Eye of Death. [Gravelord Sword Dance Miracle description]

The Witch of Izalith
- Is never referred to by name in any capacity to the best of my knowledge.
- Attempted to create a First Flame, and in so doing created the Bed of Chaos and unleashed demons on the world. [Bed of Chaos Lord Soul item description]
- Created Pyromancy when she was engulfed by Chaos. [Demon's Catalyst item description]
- Did not herself use Pyromancy, but rather a form of flame sorcery that has since vanished. [Izalith Catalyst item description]
- Has at least three known daughters (I am uncertain if the game uses daughter in the literal or metaphorical sense in this case): Quelana, Quelaag, Chaos Covenant leader. [Conversation with Quelana, Quelaag's Furysword item description, conversation with Chaos Covenant leader with Old Witch's Ring equipped]

Seath the Scaleless
- Is a dragon who betrayed his own kind. [Opening cinematic narration]
- Was a close confidante of Gwyn, and was given the Duke's Archive by him. [Conversation with Anor Londo Firekeeper]
- Obsessed with researching the Scales of Immortality. [Conversation with Anor Londo Firekeeper]
- Conducts experiments on human subjects with the aim of creating new sorceries. [Conversation with Big Hat Logan in Duke's Archive]
- Employs the Channelers to kidnap victims for his experiments. [Channeler's Trident item description]
- Received a part of a Lord Soul from Gwyn. [Bequeathed Lord Soul item description]
- As of the time of the game he has gone mad. [Conversation with Anor Londo Firekeeper, Robe of the Channelers item description]
- Is blind. [Six-Eyed Helm of the Channelers item description]

Gwyndolin
- Last born child of Gwyn. [Darkmoon Seance Ring item description]
- Is repulsive and frail, and so created an illusion of Gwynevere to help him guard Anor Londo. [Darkmoon Blade Covenant Ring item description]
- The Anor Londo Firekeeper is one of his followers, and he gave her the Brass Armor to hide her hideous form. [Brass Armor item description]
- The power of the moon was strong with him, and so he was raised as a daughter. [Moonlight Robe item description]
- Personally guards Gwyn's tomb in Anor Londo. [Boss fight with Gwyndolin]

Priscilla
- Is a cross between a dragon and something else. [Priscilla's Dagger item description]
- The Gods feared her lifehunt ability. [Lifehunt Scythe item description]
- Is referred to as a crossbreed bastard and antithesis to all life. [Soul of Priscilla item description]

The Pygmy
- Possessed the Dark Soul, is the progenitor of the player character. [Conversation with Darkstalker Kaathe]
- Is furtive. [Opening cinematic narration]

ProudClod said:

I was having trouble with this fight so I pulled out the never used bow and the 57 arrows I had gathered from somewhere.

I ended up taking him down...with the bow...with exactly 57 arrows.

Felt good.

Abylim

Oracle Dragon said:
Has anyone tried farming the Souviners of Reprisal from the Harpies? Was it tolerable, or is it one of those lame-ass 4 hours gets you 1 type of farms? I'm having NO luck with the blue orb, I suck at PvP anyways, and it is one of the last achievements to get 100% for me.

I got 6 in about 1 hour and a half.
On NG++, so they had more health and shit.

sleepykyo

Omotesando said:
So relating to Covanant achievements, the only trophies are the Discovery trophies or are there additional ones to obtain realting to the online play.

I really want platinum, like in Demons Souls.

Speaking of covenants. Spent more time playing Darkmoon pvp.

nothing better than appearing right in front of a 2 man team waiting for invaders. Just tossing out the invader lure and what not.

Never ever joining the dark moon again (hopefully).

ixix said:
After some of the plot discussions earlier I combed through a bunch of item descriptions and such and compiled a list of known facts about some of the game's important characters. It took longer than I expected and it's far from exhaustive, but I thought I'd throw it out here in case someone's interested. It's formatted as a simple list of facts about characters with references to where in the game each fact can be corroborated should you be so inclined. I've tried to minimize any commentary on my part and stick purely to unadorned summaries of the game's own words. Obviously there are massive spoilers.

Here's what I've compiled:

Gwyn
- Referred to as both Lord of Sunlight and Lord of Cinder. [Opening cinematic narration, final boss fight]
- Has three known children: an unnamed eldest son, Gwynevere, and Gwyndolin. [Ring of the Sun's Firstborn, Darkmoon Blade Covenant Ring, Darkmoon Seance Ring item descriptions]
- Led a group of knights. [Opening cinematic narration, multiple item descriptions]
- Some of his knights fought the demons unleashed by the Witch of Izalith. [Black Knight Shield item description]
- Amongst the knights he led were 4 special knights who are specifically named: Artorias the Abysswalker, Hawkeye Gough, Lord's Blade Ciaran, and Ornstein the Dragonslayer. [Wolf Ring, Hawk Ring, Hornet Ring, Leo Ring item descriptions]
- At some indefinite time before the beginning of the game he left Anor Londo for the Kiln of the First Flame, taking some of his knights with him and leaving some in Anor Londo as guards. Those who went with him burned to ash when he lit the flame and were reduced to living suits of armor. [Silver Knight Armor, Black Knight Armor item descriptions]
- Before leaving to link the flame, he gave part of his Lord Soul to the Four Kings of New Londo and part of his Lord Soul to Seath the Scaleless. [Bequeathed Lord Soul item descriptions]
- Divided his power amongst his children before leaving to link the flame, taking only his sword with him. [Great Lord Greatsword item description]
- There is a tomb dedicated to him in Anor Londo. [Conversation with Gwyndolin]

Gravelord Nito
- Referred to as the First of the Dead. [Opening cinematic narration, Gravelord Sword item description]
- Pinwheel stole his power. [Mask of the Father, Mother, and Child item descriptions]
- Quietly oversees all death and waits for his servants to usher in the Eye of Death. [Gravelord Sword Dance Miracle description]

The Witch of Izalith
- Is never referred to by name in any capacity to the best of my knowledge.
- Attempted to create a First Flame, and in so doing created the Bed of Chaos and unleashed demons on the world. [Bed of Chaos Lord Soul item description]
- Created Pyromancy when she was engulfed by Chaos. [Demon's Catalyst item description]
- Did not herself use Pyromancy, but rather a form of flame sorcery that has since vanished. [Izalith Catalyst item description]
- Has at least three known daughters (I am uncertain if the game uses daughter in the literal or metaphorical sense in this case): Quelana, Quelaag, Chaos Covenant leader. [Conversation with Quelana, Quelaag's Furysword item description, conversation with Chaos Covenant leader with Old Witch's Ring equipped]

Seath the Scaleless
- Is a dragon who betrayed his own kind. [Opening cinematic narration]
- Was a close confidante of Gwyn, and was given the Duke's Archive by him. [Conversation with Anor Londo Firekeeper]
- Obsessed with researching the Scales of Immortality. [Conversation with Anor Londo Firekeeper]
- Conducts experiments on human subjects with the aim of creating new sorceries. [Conversation with Big Hat Logan in Duke's Archive]
- Employs the Channelers to kidnap victims for his experiments. [Channeler's Trident item description]
- Received a part of a Lord Soul from Gwyn. [Bequeathed Lord Soul item description]
- As of the time of the game he has gone mad. [Conversation with Anor Londo Firekeeper, Robe of the Channelers item description]
- Is blind. [Six-Eyed Helm of the Channelers item description]

Gwyndolin
- Last born child of Gwyn. [Darkmoon Seance Ring item description]
- Is repulsive and frail, and so created an illusion of Gwynevere to help him guard Anor Londo. [Darkmoon Blade Covenant Ring item description]
- The Anor Londo Firekeeper is one of his followers, and he gave her the Brass Armor to hide her hideous form. [Brass Armor item description]
- The power of the moon was strong with him, and so he was raised as a daughter. [Moonlight Robe item description]
- Personally guards Gwyn's tomb in Anor Londo. [Boss fight with Gwyndolin]

Priscilla
- Is a cross between a dragon and something else. [Priscilla's Dagger item description]
- The Gods feared her lifehunt ability. [Lifehunt Scythe item description]
- Is referred to as a crossbreed bastard and antithesis to all life. [Soul of Priscilla item description]

The Pygmy
- Possessed the Dark Soul, is the progenitor of the player character. [Conversation with Darkstalker Kaathe]
- Is furtive. [Opening cinematic narration]

Nice, didn't think of reading the weapon/item descriptions to fill in the story.

stolin said:
There's a trick to for fighting Seath without the clams.
Run past that first batch of clams before the fight, when you fight Seath simply turn around, smash the crystal, then hit Start and Quit the game. When you reload there will be no clams for the fight against the dragon. Enjoy!

I need to make a mental note of that.
I still need to remember that Seth is blind & you can avoid him if no make no sound.

Guys I have a magic sword +5 that I want to upgrade to +10 to get the trophy. The thing is, I cant get it to +6, who's the merchant that can do this?

falconzss

See You Next Wednesday said:
I need to make a mental note of that.
I still need to remember that Seth is blind & you can avoid him if no make no sound.
Oh thanks, this will come in handy. 24 hours without DkS...noooooooo!!!

falconzss

toasty_T said:
Do I keep my boss souls on a new playthrough or do I have to use them now?
I assume you keep them like in DS.

sotodefonk said:
Guys I have a magic sword +5 that I want to upgrade to +10 to get the trophy. The thing is, I cant get it to +6, who's the merchant that can do this?

The Blacksmith in New Londo does this upgrade.

Abooie said:
I made this mistake. You lose them.

Wait? really? isnt there a miracle you get using the last boss soul? does it is the only boss soul you keep in NG+?

Damn need to use all my boss souls then, I was about to fight the final boss :(

knitoe

sotodefonk said:
Wait? really? isnt there a miracle you get using the last boss soul? does it is the only boss soul you keep in NG+?

No. You keep all the souls.

falconzss

sotodefonk said:

Boss Souls you need to forge weapons carry over!!!!

Carcetti

ixix said:

Great work. Personally I think the story's a great take on classic (Greek) mythology type story.

It's about natural progression of the world. First there was the world of trees and the Ash lake where the stone dragons sat quietly. Then came the Lord Souls which enabled the new gods to bring change and instability to the world through the First Flame. Their age should've passed but they got scared and screwed it all up. Witch of Izalith released the Chaos trying to make her own flame and Gwyn got so scared of the dark that he burned himself into some sort of a slow-burning barbeque god to keep away the darkness which is supposed to bring in the age where gods are replaced by humans. Did I miss anything?

knitoe

toasty_T said:
Someone on the official forum said (according to the guide) you keep them all excluding the lord souls since they're key items.
Well, the lord souls are require to open the door to end boss. Thus, of course, you will lose them. All the other boss souls, including end boss, you keep into NG+.

And, fuck. I need to stop playing this game. Have BF3, Rage and Forza4 to play, but I continue to try to farm for slabs from Darkwraith.

BeeDog

LOL, what the fuck, I just took the shortcut elevator from Firelink to Undead Parish, and when I arrived at the top, a red/Black Phantom big-ass knight with a shield was waiting for me there. Immediately took the elevator back down, heh.

This is the first time I see a non-invader phantom in the game. What triggers them?

Audioboxer

BeeDog said:
LOL, what the fuck, I just took the shortcut elevator from Firelink to Undead Parish, and when I arrived at the top, a red/Black Phantom big-ass knight with a shield was waiting for me there. Immediately took the elevator back down, heh.

This is the first time I see a non-invader phantom in the game. What triggers them?

Sounds like your world has been cursed?

NeoCross

Crystal Ring Shield is kind of OP. Makes every boss in the game easy with CRS and a strong main hand equipped. I just ran to Nito, casted iron flesh and fired the CRS R2 repeatedly.

Took me less than 30 seconds to kill him, wat.

After playing BF3 for a few days straight I hopped back into this tonight and knocked out just about all the 'side stuff' i wanted to accomplish before finishing it. Now I need to go in Giants or that other one off of that molten core looking zone. Both of them seem miserable. I think I finished all the fun parts :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom