• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyubajin

Got a couple of questions:

• I'm 95% melee and have only 15 DEX so using a bow suck arse really (plus it goes against my role play goals). Is there any consensus on which is the better crossbow? Also, where the hell can I buy decent bolts? I got heavy and sniping, should I upgrade either normal path or go elemental?

• I use Havel's ring and Steel Protection 90% of the time, would you recommend switching Steel Protection for Favour & Protection?

• I'm upgrading the Black Iron set as I love it. Is it better to upgrade each piece to +5 before focusing on the next piece or do you upgrade them at the same time?

• Is there any point upgrading the Eagle Shield? It has ridiculous stability already and it's the only stat that's being upgraded apparently.

• I know the lightning upgrade path is king. I'm not taking advantage of it until a patch fixes this madness. I'm at 30 STR and my goal is to get to 50, what is the best upgrade path for pure STR characters? Normal reinforcement?

Broseybrose

Ive been all over Blighttown and cant find the fucking key to Anor Londo that the guide says is there. Help? The only place Ive yet to explore is: Going up the water wheel from the bottom, moving across to the second water wheel that kind of looks like you can jump on and over (its spinning the same direction you would be jumping). I don't know if its a safe jump that leads anywhere or not.

Please tell me how to get to the key???

Totalriot

Misterinenja said:
Fuck Four Kings on NG+. Beat if first time without any effort but now he does so much damage I can't do shit.

Any cheesing tips for this one?

Put on your strongest armor, the Ring which increases spell durations, your hardest hitting weapon and the Crystal Ring Shield, cast Iron Flesh and then spam the CRS attack. Don't forget to recast Iron Flesh.

Broseybrose said:
Ive been all over Blighttown and cant find the fucking key to Anor Londo that the guide says is there. Help? The only place Ive yet to explore is: Going up the water wheel from the bottom, moving across to the second water wheel that kind of looks like you can jump on and over (its spinning the same direction you would be jumping). I don't know if its a safe jump that leads anywhere or not.

Its on the very top over the water wheel ladders in a chest

BeeDog

Wow, Homing Crystal Soulmass is such an amazing spell. Finally managed to put enough points into INT to be able to use the spell, and I don't regret it.

NBtoaster

Broseybrose said:

I assume you mean new londo key, don't think theres a anor londo key there? At the very top of the ladders above the water wheel, looking into the cave with the fat guys, there's a chest behind you with the key in it.

Broseybrose

NBtoaster said:
I assume you mean new londo key, don't think theres a anor londo key there? At the very top of the ladders above the water wheel, looking into the cave with the fat guys, there's a chest behind you with the key in it.
Okay thanks. Ive been there too. Just didnt see it. Hope I can find that spot again.

hahahahaha Died in lost Izailith last night past all the dragon arses.

What I forgot was I unequipped my charred ring, so I ran into lava dying immediately and losing all my 70000 souls!

Like a boss!

Dresden

kyubajin said:
Got a couple of questions:

• I'm 95% melee and have only 15 DEX so using a bow suck arse really (plus it goes against my role play goals). Is there any consensus on which is the better crossbow? Also, where the hell can I buy decent bolts? I got heavy and sniping, should I upgrade either normal path or go elemental?

• I use Havel's ring and Steel Protection 90% of the time, would you recommend switching Steel Protection for Favour & Protection?

• I'm upgrading the Black Iron set as I love it. Is it better to upgrade each piece to +5 before focusing on the next piece or do you upgrade them at the same time?

• Is there any point upgrading the Eagle Shield? It has ridiculous stability already and it's the only stat that's being upgraded apparently.

• I know the lightning upgrade path is king. I'm not taking advantage of it until a patch fixes this madness. I'm at 30 STR and my goal is to get to 50, what is the best upgrade path for pure STR characters? Normal reinforcement?
1: Avelyn is the best crossbow followed by a Heavy Crossbow. Just upgrade them to Lightning or Fire; crossbows don't scale so it's the only option. Avelyn is nice, I use it.

Just use heavy bolts for most stuff and if you want stock up on the 700 souls apiece lightning bolts for tough enemies.

2: Favor > Steel Protection

3: Well, it goes from like 75 to 84. Upgrading is always good.

4: For STR builds, Normal path is the best option. Also remember that it's pure damage as opposed to a lightning weapon meeting two resistances at once.

Hesemonni

Banned
Am I the only one to accidentally kill Laurentius and thus not being able to us Iron Flesh? Managed to kill Seath just now, but everyone is saying that IF is needed for Four Kings ... am I fucked?

Is using Tranquil Walk of Peace in PVP too cheap? I used it on 3 invaders last night and all of them got their shit wrecked.

I also have a Fire Bastard Sword +10 and that shit is beast. It outdamages my Lightning Spear +5 by a significant amount. I'm eager to see what Chaos weapons are like.

MMaRsu

Hey guys.. I finished Anor, now where do I head? Already did the archives.. I still need to finish Seath tho.

Also new londo ruins maybe?

And how do I turn +5 weapons into lightning weapons? And where can I farm green titanite?

BeeDog

Hesemonni said:
Am I the only one to accidentally kill Laurentius and thus not being able to us Iron Flesh? Managed to kill Seath just now, but everyone is saying that IF is needed for Four Kings ... am I fucked?

Iron Flesh is definitely not needed for 4 Kings. Didn't need to use it during NG or NG+.

web01

Lost Izalith is actually a decent area once you get past the "dinosaur feet"

And the high platform in the middle section of the lava field makes dealing with them not so hard at all.

Broseybrose said:

your main question has already been answered so I'll just add that if you go into the area in the middle of and behind the two water wheels and manage to kill all the toxic snipers, you will be rewarded with another firekeeper soul.

Chinpoko_Master said:
Is using Tranquil Walk of Peace in PVP too cheap? I used it on 3 invaders last night and all of them got their shit wrecked.

I also have a Fire Bastard Sword +10 and that shit is beast. It outdamages my Lightning Spear +5 by a significant amount. I'm eager to see what Chaos weapons are like.
Yes. That's a griefer tactic, and for the most part prevents a fair fight.

Hesemonni said:
Iron Flesh is annoying anyway because you move so slowly. This question has been asked before and the answer then was that you didn't need iron flesh. The secret is to stay close and try to take them out as quickly as possible. They are much more dangerous from a distance.

Is there a way to counter the slowdown from Iron Flesh?

V_Arnold

MMaRsu said:
Hey guys.. I finished Anor, now where do I head? Already did the archives.. I still need to finish Seath tho.

Also new londo ruins maybe?

And how do I turn +5 weapons into lightning weapons? And where can I farm green titanite?

Lighting weapons are made... I think at the giant bs at Anor Londo.

If you did not kill Seath yet, I suggest you clean up New Londo Ruins. Fairly easy, after that, do not traverse the abyss, but go back for Seath.

Green titanite is farmable in:
a)Blighttown leeches. They rarely drop it, but when they do, it is a stack of 5.
b)Demon Ruins: at a shortcut, you will encounter 4 mobs that each give you 1-2 green titanite shard. That is a good number also
c)In the Depths, the slimes can drop that with a fairly low chance. Farm the ones near the bonfire, 1 min per run, 7 mob. If you are lucky, it nets 5-10 titanite and 5-10 green titanite in 20mins max with the ring. You get more within Blighttown swamp, but there you need to bear with the horrible framerates.

V_Arnold said:

If you did not kill Seath yet, I suggest you clean up New Londo Ruins. Fairly easy, after that, do not traverse the abyss, but go back for Seath.

a)Blighttown leeches. They rarely drop it, but when they do, it is a stack of 5.
b)Demon Ruins: at a shortcut, you will encounter 4 mobs that each give you 1-2 green titanite shard. That is a good number also
c)In the Depths, the slimes can drop that with a fairly low chance. Farm the ones near the bonfire, 1 min per run, 7 mob. If you are lucky, it nets 5-10 titanite and 5-10 green titanite in 20mins max with the ring. You get more within Blighttown swamp, but there you need to bear with the horrible framerates.
The discovery boost ring is in sen's right? Where is it at specifically?

So I want to do a high dex build and I can't decide on a thief or a wanderer. Do I get anything extra as a thief except the master key? I'm gonna be almost purely a physical damage character.

V_Arnold

DigitalDevil said:
The discovery boost ring is in sen's right? Where is it at specifically?

Hm. I would love to be able to tell you precisely, but I was lost there like a maze for quite some time, so I was pretty much forced to explore it fully.

lawblob said:
Where can I get a good weapon to tackle the catacombs with?

With my str-based melee guy, I simply used a Divine Club +5.
I am not sure if Occult Club retains the "what it kills, stays dead" policy, but if it does, you can find that in a Mimic
in a hidden path behind a fireplace near the bonfire after the two annoying archers
. With the caster, I used the Butterfly Spear, but they resurrected after. So definitely try out a Divine weapon.

Sniper McBlaze said:
So I want to do a high dex build and I can't decide on a thief or a wanderer. Do I get anything extra as a thief except the master key? I'm gonna be almost purely a physical damage character.
The only true benefit to selecting the thief class is the fact that you can pick a gift in addition to receiving the master key.

There may be a starting SL difference as well. I'm SL 61 thief, still solely melee and loving it.

toasty_T said:
I got chaos firestorm and opened up the door to lost izalith in the ruins.

is it safe to leave the chaos servant covenant now?
I'd like to know this also. If the shortcut stays open, I will definitely be
killing her for the firekeeper soul

When is roughly the right time to go out and kill firekeepers for their souls before the game ends? i.e. when can you no longer go back before the end of the game? I'm in lost izalith atm.

MMaRsu

V_Arnold said:

Thx my friend... 62 hrs in and I feel like I still am scraping the surface of this game lol. Havent even done the demon ruins yet.. Because I didn't kill that boss yet that you immediately run into..

BeeDog

Holy shit, didn't know battling Forest Hunters in Darkroot Garden was so much fun. Was stuck in there, so kept fighting invaders until one of the AI enemies there (the invisible knight) offed me when my Flasks ran out.

I think I'm a bit overlevelled to battle the invaders since I managed to kill ~9 invaders, lulz.

Xanathus

Huh, I found some interesting things by getting to Undead Parish via Havel's tower using the Master Key. The two archers won't be there in the Taurus fight but one will spawn halfway through. Also, if you do not trigger the scene where the Hellkite leaps down in front of you, it won't appear at the bridge.

Grinchy

Banned
DigitalDevil said:
There may be a starting SL difference as well. I'm SL 61 thief, still solely melee and loving it.
I think I'm the same level. I fucking love my thief. I'm glad I picked this starting class and that I actually stuck with a DEX build. It has been fun.

Xanathus said:
Huh, I found some interesting things by getting to Undead Parish via Havel's tower using the Master Key. The two archers won't be there in the Taurus fight but one will spawn halfway through. Also, if you do not trigger the scene where the Hellkite leaps down in front of you, it won't appear at the bridge.
Wow I'll definitely do that on my next playthrough!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
pharmboy044 said:
I didn't get an answer for this. Anyone?
Just before the boss fight room there is a room with two rat and some slime in it. Rather than turning right to head toward the boss, head toward the big blue doors. You can open them using the key the boss dropped.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Xanathus said:
This is the coolest thing I've read all week, for some reason.

Grinchy said:
I think I'm the same level. I fucking love my thief. I'm glad I picked this starting class and that I actually stuck with a DEX build. It has been fun.
What weapon are you using currently? I'm using a bandits knife +10, and can't decide if I want to go normal +15 or lightning +5 with it. I have the materials to go magic +5 already, but scaling with INT won't do me any good. DEX is currently at 31. I'm afraid to pump it much more because the scaling is still off.

Interesting side note concerning END. Once you hit 40, you are at maximum stamina. The only benefit to pumping END beyond 40 is to increase your carry load.

Rez said:
Just before the boss fight room there is a room with two rat and some slime in it. Rather than turning right to head toward the boss, head toward the big blue doors. You can open them using the key the boss dropped.

Sotha Sil said:
Come back the way you came; there was a fog gate near the merchant that is now cleared. You can open it with the key.
Great, thanks for the help.

Sotha Sil

Gosh, I'm really tired of the gold-hemmed black set. Does any set of light armor ever top it? The necromancer look was fun for a while, but it's getting old.

Sotha Sil said:
Gosh, I'm really tired of the gold-hemmed black set. Does any set of light armor ever top it? The necromancer look was fun for a while, but it's getting old.

Same. I like the look of the chain armor but it's not too good sadly.

Grinchy

Banned
DigitalDevil said:
What weapon are you using currently? I'm using a bandits knife +10, and can't decide if I want to go normal +15 or lightning +5 with it. I have the materials to go magic +5 already, but scaling with INT won't do me any good. DEX is currently at 31. I'm afraid to pump it much more because the scaling is still off.

Interesting side note concerning END. Once you hit 40, you are at maximum stamina. The only benefit to pumping END beyond 40 is to increase your carry load.
I have used the Bandit's Knife for the whole game, and I'm almost done. It's at +15 now. I am hoping that the scaling gets fixed too, but it isn't horrible as is. I took my DEX to 40 right away. It was pretty much the only stat I was pumping for a while. I have other DEX weapons, like an Iato which I upped STR to 14 for, but I never seem to use it. I just love that damn dagger. I also use the painted guardian sword in the left hand b/c of its A in DEX.

AFAIK going the +15 route isn't the best choice but I don't care. I have really enjoyed it and I just don't want to make it a lightning knife if I can already beat the game without the extra damage that would do. If the patch makes normal weapons scale better, then I'm in for a nice surprise.

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Wait so if your still Seath can't hear you?

SERIOUSLY???

Sotha Sil said:

I keep trying to change it up from time to time depending on what I need to be resistant to but...yeah...it's all I've been wearing since the end of Blightown. : /

DigitalDevil said:
Iron Flesh is annoying anyway because you move so slowly. This question has been asked before and the answer then was that you didn't need iron flesh. The secret is to stay close and try to take them out as quickly as possible. They are much more dangerous from a distance.

Is there a way to counter the slowdown from Iron Flesh?

You don't need Iron Flesh. Get in close and blaze away. Just watch out for their grab attacks and the one where the cocoon themselves up, spin about and give a big energy blast.

20 estus for the win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom