• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
cj_iwakura said:
So who upgrades the Server to +10? Isn't that the weapon needed to get Quelaag's Fury Sword?

When creating weapons from boss souls you need to look at their type more than their actual name. Furysword requires any curved sword+10, Crystal Ring Shield any small shield etc.

Kweh

Where should I go after defeating Ceaseless Discharge? The Demon Ruins seem pretty tough, is there anywhere else I should check out?

cj_iwakura

Clear said:
When creating weapons from boss souls you need to look at their type more than their actual name. Furysword requires any curved sword+10, Crystal Ring Shield any small shield etc.

Weird, I was told Server would work.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Clear said:
I really like the "fragmented" narrative approach that Dark Souls takes.

With this and Nier I feel like maybe game stories are finally growing up, inviting the player to discover the (back)story but never actually spelling it out for them in a huge gob of exposition.

Maybe its just a sign of my age but I think one of the biggest failings of our modern technology-led pop-culture is the overemphasis on facile detail. The prevailing thought being that the more you show, the greater the level of verisimilitude.

A huge part of the "art" of painting is not what the artist shows, but what they choose to hide. You emphasize what is important partly by devoting more detail to that element, but also by de-emphasizing what is not. Contrast in short.

Personally I find a lot of CG imagery (in movies) these days falls down because there's so much effort put into showing every pixel of detail that the image is just overwhelmed by it.

Writing is much the same because you simply cannot describe every detail, you need to focus on the things that create the impression you want and let the reader's imagination fill in the rest.

Game stories are particularly good for this because if the structure is right, the player's own choice of actions determine the minute-to-minute narrative, while the nuggets of background detail shape the context and ultimately form the "meaning" of the tale.

Meaning is all important because its something only another human being can provide. Personally this is why I despise the concept of machine-generated story so much, without a storyteller -with something to say, or a feeling to impart- no matter how superficially convincing the construction, its still just an empty facsimile.

Anyway. Sorry for the tangent/rant, plaese return to your regular DS programming.

Yup, the worlds of Demon's and Dark Souls are incredibly well thought out and consistent for games with such little dialogue and cutscenes.

Even little things like dead NPC's with certain loot can tell a part of the story.

Piecing it together by the end makes the experience just that much more enjoyable.

one85x said:
Server is curved isn't it? You need the Darkroot/Undead Parish blacksmith to make it +10 though.

I think it's a Great Curved Sword

vhfive

I finally got the Channeler's Trident. It took me 1 hour with 30 humanity and the serpent ring but I just listen to a podcast so it wasn't so bad.

Next is to reinforce weapons for the achievements and then kill all npcs before I beat the game and start my ng+

Sorry, bit of a noob question but I just summoned some help for a boss and couldn't work out how to rate the player like in DS. Can anyone help?

Heysoos

So, I got the game from Gamefly, and while fighting the normal enemies feels kind of hard, the bosses themselves feel just plain cheap, not hard. I'm fighting the
Taurus Demon
on the bridge, and he just keeps kicking my ass. The first lunging attack from up top is easy, but after that he just becomes cheap ass hell. If I try to get up there again he'll just hit me on the way up, if I try to lure him away so that I have more time to get up there his attacks just knock me down and I get killed before I can even start moving again. I like hard games, played and beat the OG ninja gaiden on xbox and ninja gaiden black, but this game just feels cheap. -_-

DuendeSmoker

Neo Member
Heysoos said:
So, I got the game from Gamefly, and while fighting the normal enemies feels kind of hard, the bosses themselves feel just plain cheap, not hard. I'm fighting the
Taurus Demon
on the bridge, and he just keeps kicking my ass. The first lunging attack from up top is easy, but after that he just becomes cheap ass hell. If I try to get up there again he'll just hit me on the way, if I try to lure him away so that I have more time to get up there his attacks just knock me down and I get killed before I can even start moving again. I like hard games, played and beat the OG ninja gaiden on xbox and ninja gaiden black, but this game just feels cheap. -_-

Well I agree, this enemy in particular feels quite cheap. Best thing to do is get some humanity and summon someone to help. Two lunges wrecks him, and try to get the gold pine resin to really screw him up.

Kenshin001 said:
Sorry, bit of a noob question but I just summoned some help for a boss and couldn't work out how to rate the player like in DS. Can anyone help?

No rating system this time.

Broseybrose

DigitalDevil said:
your main question has already been answered so I'll just add that if you go into the area in the middle of and behind the two water wheels and manage to kill all the toxic snipers, you will be rewarded with another firekeeper soul.
That's what drove me to post here. Clearing that area out, nabbing the firekeeper soul, but not finding the key!

Heysoos said:
Taurus Demon
on the bridge, and he just keeps kicking my ass. The first lunging attack from up top is easy, but after that he just becomes cheap ass hell. If I try to get up there again he'll just hit me on the way, if I try to lure him away so that I have more time to get up there his attacks just knock me down and I get killed before I can even start moving again. I like hard games, played and beat the OG ninja gaiden on xbox and ninja gaiden black, but this game just feels cheap. -_-

Tips - use the environment
Tips - use your ability to dodge back after he attacks
Tips - use your attack after you dodge his attacks
Tips - use your estus flask after you dodge his attacks
Tips - use your head

If you're going to bust out the Ninja Gaiden street cred "thing", you really need to not complain about not beating the first SUB-boss.

The first actual boss you fight is going to break you if you're already writing something like this.

Varna

Heysoos said:
Taurus Demon
on the bridge, and he just keeps kicking my ass. The first lunging attack from up top is easy, but after that he just becomes cheap ass hell. If I try to get up there again he'll just hit me on the way up, if I try to lure him away so that I have more time to get up there his attacks just knock me down and I get killed before I can even start moving again. I like hard games, played and beat the OG ninja gaiden on xbox and ninja gaiden black, but this game just feels cheap. -_-

After the first plunging attack dash all the way to the end of the bridge before dashing back to the ladder. When you start dashing back he normally will try and do the overhead attack. If he is swinging from either side it's better to just stand your ground and defend because those can hit you from behind as your going past him. It's a super easy boss battle. No reason to ever get hit.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Gwyndolin question!

if I kill him, how many bonfires in anor londo go dark? I know the firekeeper goes hostile, but does the chamber of the princess bonfire die on me too?

BeeDog

Brobzoid said:
Gwyndolin question!

if I kill him, how many bonfires in anor londo go dark? I know the firekeeper goes hostile, but does the chamber of the princess bonfire die on me too?

It's only the Firekeeper bonfire that becomes unusable.

maomaoIYP

Brobzoid said:
Gwyndolin question!

Only the main one at anor londo, after you kill the firekeeper.

Sullichin

I just got trolled by this game again. That guy that you help out in a few places...
in Lost Izaliath he sacrifices himself for you and jumps in a poison pit. I died before I could pick up his items.
Hope I didn't miss anything. I had no health, and as soon as I engaged in a conversation with this guy I regretted it.

x3r0123

bigdaddygamebot said:
Tips - use your head

:D

Sullichin said:
I just got trolled by this game again. That guy that you help out in a few places...
in Lost Izaliath he sacrifices himself for you and jumps in a poison pit. I died before I could pick up his items.
Hope I didn't miss anything. I had no health, and as soon as I engaged in a conversation with this guy I regretted it.

he's not supposed to die

vhfive

Heysoos said:
Taurus Demon

buy some fire bombs from the merchant and make sure you have a shield that blocks 100% of physical damage (if don't have one you can buy one from the same merchant). Also if you stay up on the tower for a bit he'll jump up there with you (just don't stand near the edge). You miss out on the chunk of health you take away in the beginning but there is more room up there and you can read his attacks better.

Heysoos said:
Taurus Demon
I've had luck with him as he fell down the bridge while he still remained about half of his HP. Insta-win.

Is there any list of all hidden walls or all bonfires flowing around the internet?

DuendeSmoker said:
No rating system this time.

Thanks. Shame about that. Played DS on the Asian servers and it was part of the camaraderie of the game, rewarding those who helped. Seems a bit abrupt now. Did get some bad ratings myself though.

toasty_T said:
Oh right, must have been the Lightning Iaito I made.

I guess a few of these max out weapons trophies will have to wait until NG

Unless you farm slabs, you have to.
And if you're going for at least both endings, it's no biggie -- you can get them all easily by the end of NG+.

To get all of them, I think you need:

2 white slabs (occult, divine, 1 found per game right before Nito in Tomb)
2 red slabs (fire, chaos, 1 found per game right near bed of chaos (underneath the boss door where onion knight is)
2 blue slabs (enchanted, magic, 1 found per game in crystal cavern)
4 regular slabs (lightning, crystal, standard, raw, 2 found per game; 1 for stray demon, 1 for onion knight quest)

Heysoos

Varna said:
After the first plunging attack dash all the way to the end of the bridge before dashing back to the ladder. When you start dashing back he normally will try and do the overhead attack. If he is swinging from either side it's better to just stand your ground and defend because those can hit you from behind as your going past him. It's a super easy boss battle. No reason to ever get hit.

This is exactly what I've been doing. After the first plunge attack, I dash to the other end. When I get ready to go back for the second plunge he either manages to hit me from behind while I'm dashing back and knocks me down then proceeds to kill me before I can even get up, or he hits me on the way up the ladder. Doesn't help that it takes a bit away a good chunk of my stamina just rolling and dodging his attacks trying to get around him. By the time I get around him and sprint a little, my stamina is out so he's already almost on my back by the time I'm trying to get up the ladder.

bigdaddygamebot said:
Tips - use the environment
Tips - use your ability to dodge back after he attacks
Tips - use your attack after you dodge his attacks
Tips - use your estus flask after you dodge his attacks
Tips - use your head

If you're going to bust out the Ninja Gaiden street cred "thing", you really need to not complain about not beating the first SUB-boss.

The first actual boss you fight is going to break you if you're already writing something like this.

Right, sorry, I'll only complain when you say I'm allowed to. I'll PM you next time asking for permission.

vodka-bull said:
I've had luck with him as he fell down the bridge while he still remained about half of his HP. Insta-win.

Is there any list of all hidden walls or all bonfires flowing around the internet?

Probably -- but there are plent of us who have played enough of the game to know where most of the stuff is... anything in particular you want to know?

vhfive

corrosivefrost said:
Unless you farm slabs, you have to.
And if you're going for at least both endings, it's no biggie -- you can get them all easily by the end of NG+.

To get all of them, I think you need:

2 white slabs (occult, divine, 1 found per game right before Nito in Tomb)
2 red slabs (fire, chaos, 1 found per game right near bed of chaos (underneath the boss door where onion knight is)
2 blue slabs (enchanted, magic, 1 found per game in crystal cavern)
3 regular slabs (lightning, crystal, standard, 2 found per game; 1 for stray demon, 1 for onion knight quest)
fixed :p
you dont need a slab for the raw upgrade

x3r0123 said:

I'm getting super-tired of people complaining about this game being too hard or cheap or broken or whatever.

If people did a better job of weighing their combat expectations/desires with the restrictions of their character and the obstacle they are trying to tackle.

The game is not perfect. I HAVE died because my targeting reticle switched to another mob after killing the primary a heartbeat before/after? I put in the command to roll away and then wind up rolling off a cliff. Irritating? Yes. So...I need to change my desires around how I want the combat to play out and come at it with a different strategy. The majority of the time...out of my many, many deaths in this game...it all falls squarely on the fact that I was stupid, impatient or a combination of the two.

Some of the people complaing about "broken", "cheap" and "difficult" game mechanics...I'd LOVE to see how they are actually playing.

Heysoos said:
Right, sorry, I'll only complain when you say I'm allowed to. I'll PM you next time asking for permission.

Cool. See that you do.

Heysoos said:
This is exactly what I've been doing. After the first plunge attack, I dash to the other end. When I get ready to go back for the second plunge he either manages to hit me from behind while I'm dashing back and knocks me down then proceeds to kill me before I can even get up, or he hits me on the way up the ladder. Doesn't help that it takes a bit away a good chunk of my stamina just rolling and dodging his attacks trying to get around him. By the time I get around him and sprint a little, my stamina is out so he's already almost on my back by the time I'm trying to get up the ladder.

It could be a DOZEN different things. What is your build? What is your character wearing? Using as a weapon? Are you using a shield? Are you using the firebombs dropped by the guys you killed on the way to this sub boss? Are you remembering to use your flasks? Are you BEING PATIENT?

Using the tower for a plunge attack is good. THEN...get the fuck out of there. OR...immediately climb back up the ladder and do another plunge attack. You have a multitude of options to beat this guy. Instead, you're focusing on how "cheap" the game feels and that it's fucked because how could you beat Ninja Gaiden and NOT this cheap boss in this game?

If you are already feeling this way, this early in the game, you need to either evolve your playstyle or give up because you are going to get fucked hard later on.

Giard

This cat-wolf thing is telling me
that Artorias never existed and that I should turn back. "What is your decision?" I'm not really understanding the question, so should I say yes or no?

Yo Gotti

Banned
Heysoos said:

Stop trying to exploit the game and win by the easiest means(The lunging attack).

It's much easier to just fight him head on than to try and do the lunging attack over and over. Get it once at the beginning, then get on the ground and finish him off with whatever you've got. Firebombs, Sword, Axe, Pine Resin, whatever. Just get in there and fight and stop running around him like a chicken. The bosses in this game are built to punish players who try to go for the cheapest wins.

This game isn't full of fights that you're going to win in a minute, you have to earn that much later in the game by leveling, meeting the right NPC's and earning the right gear. Otherwise, go into the fight expecting a long, intense fight.

Fight him head to head, dodge his attacks, attack when he's open... you did play Ninja Gaiden, right? Dodging and rolling there is the same here.

Heysoos said:

the way i did it was run up the ladder, kill the skeles - arm my weapon with that stuff that turns it lightning. wait till he comes beneath you and looks up - lock on, jump and hit (half damage gone) then go behind him and hit him twice, run back up the ladder, rinse and repeat.

K' Dash

Giard said:
This cat-wolf thing is telling me
that Artorias never existed and that I should turn back. "What is your decision?" I'm not really understanding the question, so should I say yes or no?

YES to join the covenant.

Aselith

Giard said:
Is it bad if I'm already in the Chaos Servant covenant? Will that have consequences?
And if I say no, will I be able to go back and say yes after?
You will lose the Chaos Servant covenant. You can join at anytime though.

Ken

Giard said:
Is it bad if I'm already in the Chaos Servant covenant? Will that have consequences?
It will just tell you that joining that covenant will leave your current covenant.

K' Dash

Giard said:

you can rejoin the Chaos Covenant later if you want.

Giard said:

You will abandon the chaos servant covenant and lose half your rank. (If you donated 16 humanity, you will have stats as though you donated 8 if you go back.)

If you say no to the cat, you can't go back and say yes until you absolve your sins from what I've read.

cnizzle06 said:
Can I summon someone to help me with the 4 kings?

Sure, if you can find a summon sign -- I think there's an NPC you can summon, but you have to have summoned her for the moonlight butterfly fight previously, I believe.

Leezard

Thagomizer said:
I read somewhere that she does, but is just off somewhere else and oblivious to what's going on back home. Can't remember where though.
In one of the load screen infos, you learn that she went off and married a Flame God.

knitoe

corrosivefrost said:
You will abandon the chaos servant covenant and lose half your rank. (If you donated 16 humanity, you will have stats as though you donated 8 if you go back.)

If you say no to the cat, you can't go back and say yes until you absolve your sins from what I've read.
You can say no to the cat and he'll ask you again. It's only when you join and sin do you need to pay the guy absolve your sin to rejoin.

tokkun

Heysoos said:
Taurus Demon

If you lure the boss to one of the areas of the bridge that has a crumbed side, there is a good chance he will fall to his death.

Otherwise, I recommend that you stay close and try to get around him or through his legs when he winds up a big attack then hit him from behind.

glaurung

Guys, I am going up against the Butterfly and there are no summon signs for other players at the boss.

Am I good to go with just Beatrice or can someone help me deal with this monster? First time here.

corrosivefrost said:
Probably -- but there are plent of us who have played enough of the game to know where most of the stuff is... anything in particular you want to know?
Don't know, it just seems that there are sometimes many helpful things hidden in the game, for instance the bonfire in Lost Izalith. I ragequit the game after my 20th or so death in Lost Izalith just because I didn't want to travel through the entire area again, afterwards I looked at the walkthrough at the wiki and found out there's a bonfire which makes the stage a lot less annoying.

knitoe said:
You can say no to the cat and he'll ask you again. It's only when you join and sin do you need to pay the guy absolve your sin to rejoin.

Fair enough -- I remember people in one of the OTs saying they said no and Alvina wouldn't talk to them again.

vodka-bull said:
Don't know, it just seems that there are sometimes many helpful things hidden in the game, for instance the bonfire in Lost Izalith. I ragequit the game after my 20th or so death in Lost Izalith just because I didn't want to travel through the entire area again, afterwards I looked at the walkthrough at the wiki and found out there's a bonfire which makes the stage a lot less annoying.

This is why we're here -- hell, I'm hanging out here after I got my platinum because I love this game and love talking about it/discussing it/helping others do the same. :)

I'm sure there's a list of hidden bonfires and such.
Off the top of my head for hidden bonfires/walls:

bonfire right before forbidden forest in hidden wall on left.
bonfire in lost izalith in second tower before you go up the root into the town proper.
hidden bonfire in catacombs, near the second bridge that turns
illusory wall in sen's fortess as you climb out of prowling demon pit, allows you to climb up to fortress and kill giant who opened gate for titanite chunk.
illusory wall in fireplace in Anor Londo hiding basement stairs that lead to mimic and chests with most of Havel's gear.

There may be more, but I'm not recalling at the moment.

scy

Just to clarify, you need to tell Alvina that you
will not pursue Artorias; if you say you will, you lose out permanently on the Covenant for that playthrough. After that, you can join or reject the offer with impunity

glaurung said:
Guys, I am going up against the Butterfly and there are no summon signs for other players at the boss.

Am I good to go with just Beatrice or can someone help me deal with this monster? First time here.

The Butterfly is the easiest boss in the game, honestly; Beatrice alone is enough to make it more or less trivial. Focus on not getting hit by the spells and then it'll float down to let you kill it.

knitoe

glaurung said:

If you got long range spells, she very easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom