• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zzoram

Can someone sum up the ENTIRE storyline in a big spoiler? This game's story seems so great, but it's all told so subtly that most people miss large chunks of it.

Zzoram said:
I thought Demon Ruins was just fine. The caterpillar pincer trap was pretty brutal.

I panicked.

Froze...and it saved me.

I was in the right position to just fight each one, one at a time with my spear and for some reason, none of them attacked. I imagine I won't get that lucky in NG+

Mindlog

I will probably beat it later today. I want to join the Sunbro Group™ before I finish. Crystal Shield, Ascended Pyromancy and Lightning Halberd have made the game incredibly easy. I will see what the patch does first, but if I do play again I want to use a dex based character. I died twice to the
Centipede
trying to get the ring. I obliterated the
Firesage
. It was the complete opposite of my first encounter with his type. The fight felt like it lasted less than a minute and I only took minor damage. No Iron Skin or Flask required.

Sullichin

Mortrialus said:
Andre does it, but you need to find the Large Divine Ember and give it to him before he can do it. This ember is found in the Tomb of the Giants.

Thank you. Seems a bit useless though as I only use my divine weapon in the catacombs, my lightning weapon does wayyy more damage.

Varna said:
There is a covenant there... but yeah, no one is going to argue that many things weren't finished.

It's useful for the covenant and useful for farming clams if you like until you get to the crystal caves and have Seath's bonfire (which I don't think you can warp to); also very nice for finishing Seigmeyer's questline. Glad I didn't have to trek down through the fucking tree again.

Haunted

Sullichin said:
How can I get my Divine Gargoyle Halberd +5 to +10? Doesn't seem to be listed anywhere anymore in Parish Blacksmith.
You need the Large Divine Ember to continue on from +5 to +10.

Insaniac

Heysoos said:
This is sort of what I have been trying, after the lunge attack, I get a few hits in while he's stunned, dodge his first attack, which has been mostly an overhead attack and run to the other side of the bridge to give me enough time to get up the ladder. Doesn't usually end that way though, gets me while I'm going up the ladder, or knocks me down and proceeds to kill me before I'm able to really get moving.

Yeah, I'm giving up on the lunge attack. I have tried the firebombs, unfortunately they tend to go between his feet more times than not. I'm going to grind a bit to buy some more bombs and try something else. Thanks

I've tried getting in between his legs, but sometimes I just get stuck there and can't get through. So I just started going around him instead dodging his attacks since I got hit less than trying to go under between his legs.

I don't know if you've defeated the taurus yet but I started a new char (cleric) and what I did was use a gold pine resin and lightning-ify my weapon, then did a two-handed plunging attack, which did like 2/3rds of his health. about 4 regular hits later he was dead.

Haunted

bigdaddygamebot said:
I panicked.

Froze...and it saved me.

I was in the right position to just fight each one, one at a time with my spear and for some reason, none of them attacked. I imagine I won't get that lucky in NG+
If you immediately turn around and roll twice (second time inbetween the two centipedes that spawned behind you) you can escape without taking damage, or only taking damage just once, which shouldn't kill you.

You're free to pick them off one at a time from a distance after that.

Mindlog said:
I will probably beat it later today. I want to join the Sunbro Group™ before I finish. Crystal Shield, Ascended Pyromancy and Lightning Halberd have made the game incredibly easy. I will see what the patch does first, but if I do play again I want to use a dex based character. I died twice to the
Centipede
trying to get the ring. I obliterated the
Firesage
. It was the complete opposite of my first encounter with his type. The fight felt like it lasted less than a minute and I only took minor damage. No Iron Skin or Flask required.

dude raped me. raped me hard. it was a miracle that i took him out, but maybe my armor was too light or something.

bigdaddygamebot said:
I panicked.

Froze...and it saved me.

I did that the first time, but ventured too close to the second one... my next time I tried to backpedal to reposition and found out I was surrounded. When I finally got out of there, I've never gone back -- given what they guard, if you're smart, you never have to. :)

Zzoram

bigdaddygamebot said:
I panicked.

Froze...and it saved me.

They spray acid that breaks all of your equipment if you get hit by it. They took my catalyst down to like 10 durability so my spells became weak as shit.

sixghost

Varna said:
Certainly knew it was possible. But being able to effectively dodge backwards with that tiny invincibility frame window is kind of a lot to ask of new players. Not to mention no one but the knight class even has a chance at not being staggered by the attack and quickly being finished off. I can't think of another fight in the entire game that requires that kind of timing.
You don't need to make it that hard. Just dodge backwards during the windup of his attacks, they will miss you by so much. Then eventually you'll figure out how to time it so that you can dodge back, then sprint towards him while he's still recovering, then get in a few quick hits.

The only time you ever need to do some well timed dodging is when you eventually need to get behind him to give yourself more space.

I did get my ass kicked by him the first 5-6 times I fought him, since I was still learning how the combat in these games worked. Learning how to get just close enough to bait out attacks, then getting out of range is one of the most fundamental skills in Dark Souls, so it's kind of appropriate that the first boss fight requires you to do exactly that.

Also, the whole fight is kind of trivial if you just do the plunge then throw firebombs at him until he's dead.

ive noticed my Magic +6 halberd/winged spear or whatever does a lot more damage than my Quelaags fury sword +4 or Lightning Estoc +3.

I only wish i didnt waste all that damn blue titanite on my Enchanted Falchion and Magic Murakamo blade....otherwise now id be at +8 or +9....and no more blue titanite left :(

Jonsoncao

Banned
Phat Michael said:
ive noticed my Magic +6 halberd/winged spear or whatever does a lot more damage than my Quelaags fury sword +4 or Lightning Estoc +3.

I only wish i didnt waste all that damn blue titanite on my Enchanted Falchion and Magic Murakamo blade....otherwise now id be at +8 or +9....and no more blue titanite left :(
The final area, guaranteed drops of various chunks from the black knights.

BeeDog

Varna said:
Outside of Patches did anyone else catch any other references to Demons Souls?

The way the knight sits in the starting dungeon is pretty reminiscent of the Demon's Souls cover picture, I'd say.

Jonsoncao said:
The final area, guaranteed drops of various chunks from the black knight.

If he's not that far, just up your item discovery and go play in darkroot basin or the area between the 3rd bonfire in the duke's archives and the entrance to crystal cavern; the drop rate of blue chunks from the crystal golems is pretty high, at least I was constantly getting chunks with just my gold ring on... if you boost to 30 humanity, I'm sure he could be at +9 waiting for a blue titanite slab (either getting it in crystal cavern or in NG+).

Sullichin

So, whats the best armor set that has decent poise that's not incredibly heavy? Getting sick of rocking pieces of havel's set as it slows stamina regen and looks pretty stupid. Thinking of maybe getting the adventurer's set.

Giard

Kweh said:
How do you repair Crystal weapons? They're not in the list when I go to a blacksmith.
You can't.

I have a question as well...
Considering I have accidentally killed
Laurentius
, does that mean that no one can teach me how to use pyromancy?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Drawing my vision of Undead Burg now :D It's so fun because the art direction in this game is mostly amazing!

Also, update on my finger (my second to last update, after this it should be fully healed).

NSFW
http://i.imgur.com/mQqXQ.jpg
NSFW

Varna

Sullichin said:
So, whats the best armor set that has decent poise that's not incredibly heavy? Getting sick of rocking pieces of havel's set as it slows stamina regen and looks pretty stupid. Thinking of maybe getting the adventurer's set.

Elite Knight seems damn good to me at +9.

Zzoram said:
Can someone sum up the ENTIRE storyline in a big spoiler? This game's story seems so great, but it's all told so subtly that most people miss large chunks of it.

In the Age of Ancients,
The world was unformed, shrouded by fog
A land of grey crags, archtrees, and everlasting dragons

But then there was Fire
And with Fire came Disparity. Heat and cold, life and death, and of course... Light and Dark.

Then, from the Dark, They came
And found the Souls of Lords within the flame.

Nito, the first of the dead
The Witch of Izalith, and her daughters of chaos
Gwyn, the Lord of Sunlight, and his faithful knights
And the furtive pygmy, so easily forgotten

With the Strength of Lords, they challenged the dragons.

Gwyn's mighty bolts peeled apart their stone scales
The witches weaved great firestorms
Nito unleashed a miasma of death and disease

And Seath the Scaleless betrayed his own, and the dragons were no more
Thus began the Age of Fire

But soon, the flames will fade, and only Dark will remain

Even now, there are only embers, and man sees not light, but only endless nights
And amongst the living are seen, carriers of the accursed Darksign.

In all seriousness

As the Age of Fire began to end, the lords began to panic and tried multiple attempts at extending the Age of Fire. The Witch of Izalith attempted to recreate the first flame with her magic. This initially seemed successful, but eventually the flame over took her, transforming her into The Bed of Chaos and changing her daughters into Chaos Demons. The Bed of Chaos is where all demons are born.

Sometime after this failure, Lord Gwyn set off to link the fire. He split his knights into two groups, the Black Knights who would accompany him, and the Silver Knights who would protect Anor Londo. Gwyn also divided his Lord Soul among Seath the Scaleless (This was likely a reward for assisting in the stuggle against the dragons) and the Four Kings of New Londo, who were once fiercely loyal to Gwyn.

There is some debate on whether Gwyn knew what would happen to him once he linked the fire. However, once he did, he was trapped, forced to burn eternally until the cycle repeated itself. His Black Knights were burnt to cinder, and were forced to walk the ruins of the world as animated armor.

Darkstalker Kaathe and Kingseeker Frampt had some falling out before Gwyn linked the fire. Kaathe feels that letting the age of fire end is the natural order of things, while Frampt, who befriended Lord Gwyn, wants to extend the Age of Fire perpetually.

Darkstalker Kaathe made a very ambitious attempt at creating a human who would end the Age of Fire, and usher in the Age of Man. Kaathe tempted the Four Kings, and offered some of his powers to their knights. This ended extremely disastrously, even in Kaathe own words. The Four Kings and the Darkwraiths became conceited, and greedy, using their power for selfish, destructive reasons. This ended in a struggle where Astorias, one of Gwyn's four great knights, Traversed the Abyss to put an end to the Four Kings, apparently sacrificing himself in the processes. Ingward and the other sealers flooded New Londo, the lock away the Darkwraiths and their masters. Few know that Astorias eventually entered a covenant with the creatures of the Abyss.

Gwyn's last born son, Gwyndolin, began to worry. Despite his father relinking the flame, the fire began to die once again. Gwyndolin put together an elaborate scheme. He wanted to fool an unwitting undead into linking the fire, refreshing his Lord Soul and allow him to rule Anor Londo though Gwynevere, an illusion he created. He convinced Frampt to join him in this scheme.

And this is where you come in. Players must uncover the story piece by piece, and must make a choice in whether they should sacrifice themselves to prolong the Age of Fire, or usher in the Age of Darkness and rule the world as the leader of humanity.

Sullichin said:

The fully upgraded Elite Knight Set is pretty good. The Dark set is also decent if you want a bit let Poise in exchange for a bit let Equip compared to Elite Knight.

corrosivefrost said:
If he's not that far, just up your item discovery and go play in darkroot basin or the area between the 3rd bonfire in the duke's archives and the entrance to crystal cavern; the drop rate of blue chunks from the crystal golems is pretty high, at least I was constantly getting chunks with just my gold ring on... if you boost to 30 humanity, I'm sure he could be at +9 waiting for a blue titanite slab (either getting it in crystal cavern or in NG+).

i tried in the darkroot basin, did 3 runs with the serpant ring on and 99 humanity and got nothing.

I dont REALLY want to go to the area outside dukes archives again cos i guess i cant warp there right? i might have to tho...cheers for that man. Do those crystal golems ONLY drop blue chunks?

Novid

Banned
Mortrialus said:
The game never reveals Priscilla's mother or father. She is, however, half dragon half giant. I'm curious who you think she's related to.

now i know its Gwynevere is the mother. the dragon has to be Emo Dragon and explains the location of Artimus

The same reason most other players kill fire keepers. To get her soul and upgrade his flask. He did not shut her up. The Crestfallen Warrior mentions that, most likely, her fellow villagers cut out her tongue so that she couldn't take any god's name in vain. Based upon her dialog after reviving her, this is likely the case.
He does know there is a is one near sen's? Or the one towards the bridge near the dragon. hes an idiot

Seath betrayed his dragons because he wasn't born with their scales and the immortality their scales provided. Gwyn offered Seath a chance to do research on these scales. His research drove him mad, but he eventually found another way to obtain immortality.
so not only that Dragon's a emo, a sex crazed otaku now he got assburgers to go with it? god damn From. i mean how can a feel sorry for these motherfuckers outside of the firekeeper in the firelink? tell me how

The Pygmy has the Dark Soul, not a lord soul. The Pygmy isn't in the game. Most people speculate that because he was the progenitor of humanity, he, like humanity, naturally died some time long ago.

hold on, so we are all just a bunch of zombies who dont eat brains but souls. Pygmy got screwed over for Heavy Metal weakling, firewhore, and horrible animu dad. LOLZ

BeeDog said:
The way the knight sits in the starting dungeon is pretty reminiscent of the Demon's Souls cover picture, I'd say.

Hah! I'm not the only one who picked up on that. I like to think that From Software did that on purpose. Such a "wait a minute... *looks at Demon's Souls cover*... hell yeah!" moment for me.

Novid

Banned
Mortrialus said:
In the Age of Ancients,
The world was unformed, shrouded by fog
A land of grey crags, archtrees, and everlasting dragons

But then there was Fire
And with Fire came Disparity. Heat and cold, life and death, and of course... Light and Dark.

Then, from the Dark, They came
And found the Souls of Lords within the flame.

Nito, the first of the dead
The Witch of Izalith, and her daughters of chaos
Gwyn, the Lord of Sunlight, and his faithful knights
And the furtive pygmy, so easily forgotten

With the Strength of Lords, they challenged the dragons.

Gwyn's mighty bolts peeled apart their stone scales
The witches weaved great firestorms
Nito unleashed a miasma of death and disease

And Seath the Scaleless betrayed his own, and the dragons were no more
Thus began the Age of Fire

But soon, the flames will fade, and only Dark will remain

Even now, there are only embers, and man sees not light, but only endless nights
And amongst the living are seen, carriers of the accursed Darksign.

In all seriousness

As the Age of Fire began to end, the lords began to panic and tried multiple attempts at extending the Age of Fire. The Witch of Izalith attempted to recreate the first flame with her magic. This initially seemed successful, but eventually the flame over took her, transforming her into The Bed of Chaos and changing her daughters into Chaos Demons. The Bed of Chaos is where all demons are born.

Sometime after this failure, Lord Gwyn set off to link the fire. He split his knights into two groups, the Black Knights who would accompany him, and the Silver Knights who would protect Anor Londo. Gwyn also divided his Lord Soul among Seath the Scaleless (This was likely a reward for assisting in the stuggle against the dragons) and the Four Kings of New Londo, who were once fiercely loyal to Gwyn.

There is some debate on whether Gwyn knew what would happen to him once he linked the fire. However, once he did, he was trapped, forced to burn eternally until the cycle repeated itself. His Black Knights were burnt to cinder, and were forced to walk the ruins of the world as animated armor.

Darkstalker Kaathe and Kingseeker Frampt had some falling out before Gwyn linked the fire. Kaathe feels that letting the age of fire end is the natural order of things, while Frampt, who befriended Lord Gwyn, wants to extend the Age of Fire perpetually.

Darkstalker Kaathe made a very ambitious attempt at creating a human who would end the Age of Fire, and usher in the Age of Man. Kaathe tempted the Four Kings, and offered some of his powers to their knights. This ended extremely disastrously, even in Kaathe own words. The Four Kings and the Darkwraiths became conceited, and greedy, using their power for selfish, destructive reasons. This ended in a struggle where Astorias, one of Gwyn's four great knights, Traversed the Abyss to put an end to the Four Kings, apparently sacrificing himself in the processes. Ingward and the other sealers flooded New Londo, the lock away the Darkwraiths and their masters. Few know that Astorias eventually entered a covenant with the creatures of the Abyss.

Gwyn's last born son, Gwyndolin, began to worry. Despite his father relinking the flame, the fire began to die once again. Gwyndolin put together an elaborate scheme. He wanted to fool an unwitting undead into linking the fire, refreshing his Lord Soul and allow him to rule Anor Londo though Gwynevere, an illusion he created. He convinced Frampt to join him in this scheme.

And this is where you come in. Players must uncover the story piece by piece, and must make a choice in whether they should sacrifice themselves to prolong the Age of Fire, or usher in the Age of Darkness and rule the world as the leader of humanity.

Hmm...sounds like a bad choice...

Haunted

Mortrialus said:
In all seriousness
Linking the fires is totally the good ending.

Self-sacrifice to extend the age of fire is so much better than bringing about the age of darkness and making some undead asshole the leader of all humanity.

edit:
I'm joking, there is no good ending.

Zzoram said:
Who also happens to get accidentally killed by tons of players.

So many of the NPCs in this game are accidentally killed by so many players, lol. It doesn't help that most of them look like enemies and are in the middle of dungeons.
Yup. I totally killed that Einggy guy as well.

Also the Onion Knight while defending him from the maggots in the swamp.

Also the Merchant because his laugh annoyed me.

Also all the Firekeepers because reinforcing Estus Flasks, fuck yeah.

Giard

Haunted said:
No, there's another Pyromancy trainer later on. http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Eingyi
Bah I just left his covenant. Oh well, once I'm done with the Forest Rangers I'll do this.

First experience in PvP...got called to someone's world because of the Cat Covenant Ring.
We both locked on each other, circled slowly, and I guess he didn't saw he was circling towards a cliff and he fell. I laughed so hard at "TARGET DESTROYED".

Sullichin

MeBecomingI said:
Hah! I'm not the only one who picked up on that. I like to think that From Software did that on purpose. Such a "wait a minute... *looks at Demon's Souls cover*... hell yeah!" moment for me.

Undead burg is very similar in aesthetic to world 1 of Demons Souls. I think the art direction is at its best when you're in a castle setting.

Got the Quelagg's furysword. Another weapon that pales in comparison to my easier-to-make Lightning Scythe +5.

Don't you think that in Dark Souls abuse much more of the cliffs and pits than in Demon's Souls? I remember some annoying cliffy areas in Demon's (3-2, for example) but i have the impression of being much more in Dark Souls.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Letters said:
Wait, will there be actual consequences in the future to my mistake?
Sen's Fortress entrance bonfire is not that far away I think. I am pissed off because of the emotional attachment I had developed for the place (adore the music, visuals and vibe), and now it will feel dead.
Can't you still warp there from any bonfire?

Sullichin said:
Undead burg is very similar in aesthetic to world 1 of Demons Souls. I think the art direction is at its best when you're in a castle setting.

Got the Quelagg's furysword. Another weapon that pales in comparison to my easier-to-make Lightning Scythe +5.
Think the furysword is supposed to get pretty nasty with high humanity.

Zzoram

Question about the story:

So when did humans begin? During the Age of Fire, descended from the Furtive Pygmy? Why are humans cursed with undeath? Is it because of the Age of Fire?

Does allowing the First Flame to die out, ushering in the Age of Darkness, break the curse of undeath on humanity?

I recall the Firelink Shrine fire keeper saying something about agreeing to break a curse after agreeing to help Kaathe, but I missed what she said and she won't repeat it.

Mortrialus said:
This ended in a struggle where Astorias, one of Gwyn's four great knights, Traversed the Abyss to put an end to the Four Kings, apparently sacrificing himself in the processes. Ingward and the other sealers flooded New Londo, the lock away the Darkwraiths and their masters. Few know that Astorias eventually entered a covenant with the creatures of the Abyss.
This sounds off.
Artorias true vs. cursed greatsword is a matter of what happened after he traversed the abyss with his ring.

From things I pieced together between that and Ingward's dialogue:
Artorias went to New Londo, assumedly to take on the Darkwraiths, as they were opposed to his master, Lord Gwyn. When he got there, he spoke with Kaathe and *became a darkwraith himself*, we know that Artorias became a Darkwraith from the description on one of the greatswords. After this, someone (Gwyn? Gwyndolin? Ingward?) flooded New Londo killing everyone to end the Darkwraiths. This is mentioned by Ingward if you talk to him after he gives you the key to the seal. The seal being the flood which *sealed* the darkwraiths and the 4 kings in the New Londo ruins.

corrosivefrost said:
This sounds off.
Artorias true vs. cursed greatsword is a matter of what happened after he traversed the abyss with his ring.

From things I pieced together between that and Ingward's dialogue:
Artorias went to New Londo, assumedly to take on the Darkwraiths, as they were opposed to his master, Lord Gwyn. When he got there, he spoke with Kaathe and *became a darkwraith himself*, we know that Artorias became a Darkwraith from the description on one of the greatswords. After this, someone (Gwyn? Gwyndolin? Ingward?) flooded New Londo killing everyone to end the Darkwraiths. This is mentioned by Ingward if you talk to him after he gives you the key to the seal. The seal being the flood which *sealed* the darkwraiths and the 4 kings in the New Londo ruins.

Your's is the more accurate description of the events. Not sure why I put "sacrifice himself." Probably because everyone else in the game acts like he did.

Sullichin

Hawkian said:
Can't you still warp there from any bonfire?

Think the furysword is supposed to get pretty nasty with high humanity.

It does increase power with humanity, but according to this:
http://darksouls.wikidot.com/quelaag-s-furysword

even with 10 humanity it wouldn't do as much damage as my lightning scythe (302 phys, 308 lightning). Unless the stat scaling really makes that much of a difference. Plus I'm rarely if ever rocking that much humanity. Seems like the weapon balancing in this game is a little off...

cj_iwakura

I could do the Smough/Ornstein fight all day. So fun.

I love going toe to toe with Ornstein solo while the other two take on Smough.

The real Dark Souls starts there.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
cj_iwakura said:
So based on this, doesn't Dark Souls start where it ends :p?

Sullichin

cj_iwakura said:
I could do the Smough/Ornstein fight all day. So fun.

I love going toe to toe with Ornstein solo while the other two take on Smough.

Are you doing it in NG+? I can never get summoned to this fight in my first run, I think I'm too high leveled (70, but I was trying since 60something).

Zimbardo

Battle Mage = the shite!

i created a female who has powerful spells, but can also hang with some top end melee.

intelligence is around 67 at this point ...and vitality is around 43 and endurance = 42.

gear setup:

ornstein's helm
black knight armor +5
black knight gauntlets +5
antiquated dress +5
black knight sheild +5
tin crystallization catalyst
bellowing dragoncrest ring
ring of favor and protection

attunement slots = 6 (i believe that is around 23 points in attunement for that)

using Moonlight Greatsword upgraded all the way. doing around 438 magic damage.
also have a Lightning Claymore +5
Magic Bow of Pharis +10
Crystal Ring Shield

10 uses of Homing Crystal Soulmass, etc = some excellent damage against bosses, etc.

cj_iwakura

Sullichin said:
Are you doing it in NG+? I can never get summoned to this fight in my first run, I think I'm too high leveled (70, but I was trying since 60something).

Yep. Sometimes takes 15 minutes, sometimes 5. I'm L95.

Haunted said:
Should've just been every unlocked bonfire, tbh.

Agreed. It sort of saps my motivation to replay a lot of the later parts in the game not being able to.

Haunted said:
Ash Lake - Absolutely amazing looking. One of my favourite areas from an aesthetic standpoint. Maybe they made the previous area extra bad so this looks even better in comparison. It definitely worked.

Ash Lake was my favorite part of the game even though there was virtually no gameplay. The dark water,
hydra, eternal dragon,
everything was just so haunting and creepy. A part of me wishes they did more with it; a boat ride maybe? Sans the cliche ominous row-man in black cloak.

Mortrialus said:

Thank you for this. It motivates me to keep playing.

Jonsoncao

Banned
MomoPufflet said:
Ash Lake was my favorite part of the game even though there was virtually no gameplay. The dark water,
hydra, eternal dragon,
everything was just so haunting and creepy. A part of me wishes they did more with it; a boat ride maybe? Sans the cliche ominous row-man in black cloak.

Music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom