• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

knitoe

Zimbardo said:
Battle Mage = the shite!

i created a female who has powerful spells, but can also hang with some top end melee.

intelligence is around 67 at this point ...and vitality is around 43 and endurance = 42.

gear setup:

ornstein's helm
black knight armor +5
black knight gauntlets +5
antiquated dress +5
black knight sheild +5
tin crystallization catalyst
bellowing dragoncrest ring
ring of favor and protection

attunement slots = 6 (i believe that is around 23 points in attunement for that)

using Moonlight Greatsword upgraded all the way. doing around 438 magic damage.
also have a Lightning Claymore +5
Magic Bow of Pharis +10
Crystal Ring Shield

10 uses of Homing Crystal Soulmass, etc = some excellent damage against bosses, etc.
Why ornstein's helm instead of the other two helm that increases magic dam?

Zimbardo

knitoe said:
Why ornstein's helm instead of the other two helm that increases magic dam?

which ones were they?

i know that the 'Crown of Dusk' that goes with the 'Antiquated Set' gives more magic power, but it also increases magic damage cast against you ...plus it has horrible stats for resistances and defense.

which helms were you thinking?

Dresden

My sorceror is up to sl100 or so now -

int 50
vit 30
end 30
att 23

rest of the stats are just fluff.

Crown of Dusk
Sage Robe +5
Heavy Leather Gloves +9
Black Leather Boots +9

Enchanted Great Scythe +5
Logan's Catalyst

Hollow Soldier Shield +15
Dark Hand

Darkwood Grain Ring
Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring

Enchanted Great Scythe is up to around 530 attack on the stats page. Great scythes are my favorite weapon so far - pretty good speed, awesome reach, great sweep. I also keep a Divine Claymore +10 in my inventory along with a few other junk, but Enchanted works well. A scaling at +5 and there seems to be less magic resistance than even lightning.

Usually just run around with 20 crystal homing soulmasses, 8 crystal soul spears, and 20 homing soulmasses. I carry around the Avelyn for single target ranged needs.

Gwyndolin's crown also boost magic damage, iirc. It's less of a boost but in return you don't suffer extra magic damage either.

Problem is that it's really ugly.

knitoe

Zimbardo said:
which ones were they?

i know that the 'Crown of Dusk' that goes with the 'Antiquated Set' gives more magic power, but it also increases magic damage cast against you ...plus it has horrible stats for resistances and defense.

Also, the Crown of Dark Sun from Moonlight set.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Sullichin said:
It does increase power with humanity, but according to this:
http://darksouls.wikidot.com/quelaag-s-furysword

even with 10 humanity it wouldn't do as much damage as my lightning scythe (302 phys, 308 lightning). Unless the stat scaling really makes that much of a difference. Plus I'm rarely if ever rocking that much humanity. Seems like the weapon balancing in this game is a little off...
I think the furysword attacks much faster than the scythe and also continues to scale with Dex despite being a firesword. Now if they'd just hurry up and fix the scaling...

Jonsoncao

Banned
Sullichin said:
speaking of music, the pinwheel fight seemed like it had great music. but i only heard it for like 30 seconds because I beat that boss so fast.
Haha, but for me Dragonslayer n Executioner fight = best boss music.

Sullichin said:
Just tried 6 times to get some humanity from the rats in the depths. serpent ring, 1 humanity (all I have at the moment). Nothing. :(
Best humanity farming spot = before entering the fog of Tomb of Giants boss fight.

Zzoram

Why are humans cursed with undeath?

Is it because of the Lords and/or the Age of Fire? Would ushering in the Age of Darkness break the curse?

Dresden said:
My sorceror is up to sl100 or so now -

int 50
vit 30
end 30
att 23

rest of the stats are just fluff.

Crown of Dusk
Sage Robe +5
Heavy Leather Gloves +9
Black Leather Boots +9

Enchanted Great Scythe +5
Logan's Catalyst

Hollow Soldier Shield +15
Dark Hand

Darkwood Grain Ring
Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring

Enchanted Great Scythe is up to around 530 attack on the stats page. Great scythes are my favorite weapon so far - pretty good speed, awesome reach, great sweep. I also keep a Divine Claymore +10 in my inventory along with a few other junk, but Enchanted works well. A scaling at +5 and there seems to be less magic resistance than even lightning.

Usually just run around with 20 crystal homing soulmasses, 8 crystal soul spears, and 20 homing soulmasses. I carry around the Avelyn for single target ranged needs.

Gwyndolin's crown also boost magic damage, iirc. It's less of a boost but in return you don't suffer extra magic damage either.

Problem is that it's really ugly.

People actually use crossbows? And you're telling me Avelyn was worth the hassle I paid to get it? :lol Not sure, never used it, I just rock the darkmoon bow +5. I'm curious though... why use the ranged crossbow when you can't really aim like with a bow? Lots more damage?

Also, why/(what) do you use the dark hand for? I tried it as a shield at one point and was eating too much damage through it, since it wasn't 100% physical for me.

Jonsoncao said:
Best humanity farming spot = before entering the fog of Tomb of Giants boss fight.

I liked farming Pisaca in the duke archive jail tower better. Less aggravation, drops don't disappear. If you have homeward miracle, it's really quick.

cj_iwakura said:
I could do the Smough/Ornstein fight all day. So fun.

I love going toe to toe with Ornstein solo while the other two take on Smough.

The real Dark Souls starts there.

Man, I wish I could get any sort of multiplayer action to work on mine. I've only been successfully summoned once (tried to help a guy take out Havel early on, we both failed miserably), successfully summoned someone once (a guy helped me take out Quelaag, that worked out awesome), been invaded once (died terribly while trying to get to S&O) and successfully invaded someone once (Blade of the Darkmoon punishing sinners yeahhhhhh). And I'm close to 50 hours of play and have spent at least an hour of that trying all three of the above things.

I've been focused more on the main story than covenants at the moment, though. I'm level 44, around what levels do people find PvP and helping with bosses working the best?

MedIC86

I always get a huge R'yleh vibe in ash lake, somehow this picture reminds me of it.

cthulhu+wakes.jpg

It just weird, but very cool

Dresden

corrosivefrost said:
People actually use crossbows? And you're telling me Avelyn was worth the hassle I paid to get it? :lol Not sure, never used it, I just rock the darkmoon bow +5. I'm curious though... why use the ranged crossbow when you can't really aim like with a bow? Lots more damage?

Also, why/(what) do you use the dark hand for? I tried it as a shield at one point and was eating too much damage through it, since it wasn't 100% physical for me.

Avelyn with either Fire or Lightning does a decent amount of damage - my fire +10 Avelyn was dealing around 600 damage per burst to those big Mushroom Men surrounding the enchanted ember, for example, using just heavy bolts. I don't think you can easily hit those numbers with bows. It basically supplanted the Soul Arrow spells for me in taking out the riff-raff, which is why it was so useful.

Dark Hand is for magic/fire/lightning damage, mainly.

Sullichin

corrosivefrost said:
I liked farming Pisaca in the duke archive jail tower better. Less aggravation, drops don't disappear. If you have homeward miracle, it's really quick.

I've not gotten far in either tomb of giants or duke's archives, but i think i hate duke archives less. I will try this.

Incendiary said:
Man, I wish I could get any sort of multiplayer action to work on mine. I've only been successfully summoned once (tried to help a guy take out Havel early on, we both failed miserably), successfully summoned someone once (a guy helped me take out Quelaag, that worked out awesome), been invaded once (died terribly while trying to get to S&O) and successfully invaded someone once (Blade of the Darkmoon punishing sinners yeahhhhhh). And I'm close to 50 hours of play and have spent at least an hour of that trying all three of the above things.

I've been focused more on the main story than covenants at the moment, though. I'm level 44, around what levels do people find PvP and helping with bosses working the best?

I've never been over 140 and I've had constant interaction all the time. I farmed enough souls and humanity off Queelag (helping) that I was able to join sunlight at 15 faith (probably less), ascend my pyromancy flame, and feed over 20 humanity to daughter of chaos. I also helped a LOT of people with Gaping Dragon, some with Capra, and some with Gargoyles. I got summoned against Sif once, but the dude wasn't good at healing phantoms with his estus, so I got smoked.

I loathe being human because I get invaded without fail, either by vengeance seekers or dark spirits... Hell, when I was trying to kill Kirk in Lost Izalith so his armor would spawn, I got invaded as I ran into Izalith, then again before I entered the shortcut. I don't remember why (kindling, maybe?) but I was human in Anor Londo at some point and got invaded by a dark spirit and vengeance simultaneously, the vengeance killed the dark spirit somewhere else, and I had a second dark spirit show up.

I summoned help on my initial playthrough (between levels 35 and 90ish) for the following bosses: Quelaag, Priscilla, Gwyn.

Best advice:
If you want to be invaded, stay human as much as possible.
If you want to be summoned and it isn't working, use a farm route... drop you sign, farm. If you're not summoned, hit the bonfire, then redrop your sign to change servers, farm more.

If you find none of this is helping, try making sure your ports are open and such for NAT or whatever.

cj_iwakura

Incendiary said:

The best place for invading in terms of dueling is the final area. The best place for randomly surprising people is Undead Parish, in my experience.

If you want to get summoned in Anor Londo, use the bridge away from the elevator, or up to the great stair. Don't use the area before the boss gate.

Varna

Got 4 slabs from Titanite from the lizards in Great Hollow... enough to upgrade all my shit. Now I can finish the game! :D

Mortrialus said:
Plus, if you get Smough's set and his hammer, you can roleplay as him! Just think of all the fun to be had... Running around, pretending you're fat, killing dudes with your big hammer, pretending you're fat...

Seven.

I want to get Ortstein's armor, and I'm not looking forward to that fight at all.

Novid

Banned
Zzoram said:
Why are humans cursed with undeath?

Is it because of the Lords and/or the Age of Fire? Would ushering in the Age of Darkness break the curse?

It seems we are connected to the Pygmy from the Intro. Since the Pygmy is dead, humanity pretty much are zombies that hunger for souls also could mean that humanity cant die since the Pygmy came from the dragon scales or at least the dungs of the dragons

corrosivefrost said:
I've never been over 140 and I've had constant interaction all the time. I farmed enough souls and humanity off Queelag (helping) that I was able to join sunlight at 15 faith (probably less), ascend my pyromancy flame, and feed over 20 humanity to daughter of chaos. I also helped a LOT of people with Gaping Dragon, some with Capra, and some with Gargoyles. I got summoned against Sif once, but the dude wasn't good at healing phantoms with his estus, so I got smoked.

I loathe being human because I get invaded without fail, either by vengeance seekers or dark spirits... Hell, when I was trying to kill Kirk in Lost Izalith so his armor would spawn, I got invaded as I ran into Izalith, then again before I entered the shortcut. I don't remember why (kindling, maybe?) but I was human in Anor Londo at some point and got invaded by a dark spirit and vengeance simultaneously, the vengeance killed the dark spirit somewhere else, and I had a second dark spirit show up.

I summoned help on my initial playthrough (between levels 35 and 90ish) for the following bosses: Quelaag, Priscilla, Gwyn.

Best advice:
If you want to be invaded, stay human as much as possible.
If you want to be summoned and it isn't working, use a farm route... drop you sign, farm. If you're not summoned, hit the bonfire, then redrop your sign to change servers, farm more.

If you find none of this is helping, try making sure your ports are open and such for NAT or whatever.

I'm human about half of the time, thirty-five hours, in, level 33, about to start Blighttown.

I've never been invaded, never been summoned, all my invasion attempts failed, and I've only ever seen two summon signs- one disappeared before I got to it, and another was on the Hellkite's bridge before I killed it.

EDIT: actually, I was invaded once- in Darkroot, by a jackass who used the RoF+ slow walk combo.

*sigh*

Damnit, I'm going to have to take a break from this game today.

I have been meaning to watch some movies in my queue in Netflix & want to watch some NFL games, which will take up the whole day :(

I got to Andor Londo & am HYPED. The game has gotten better & better.

I liked Demon's Souls, but didn't think it was GOTY material, but this game is on another level entirely.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Mortrialus said:
Just to clarify some wrong information here...

The Witch of Izalith didn't create the Bed of Chaos. The Witch of Izalith became the Bed of Chaos. The conversations with Quelana reveal this. Quelana asks players to kill the Bed of Chaos to end mother's suffering. She also had at least five daughters, Quelaag, The Fair Lady, Quelana, The Daughter of Chaos guarding the Bed of Chaos's boss door, and which ever one left behind the black robe set after Ceaseless Discharge.

A lot of that is (entirely reasonable) assumption, though, and I was strictly limiting myself to what the game explicitly states, because I intend that list as a reference list of facts the game states outright. To put it another way, it's not an essay, it's a bibliography. There's no explicit statement about who the Black-Hemmed Pyromancer who guards the Bed of Chaos is, nor is there an explicit statement about who the corpse in the Ceaseless Discharge area is, so I omitted them. Quelana and Quelaag are explicitly referred to as being daughters of the Witch of Izalith, so they're included. I admit to fudging a little with Quelaag's sister, and including her based on the fact that she is explicitly stated to be Quelaag's sister and the fact that Quelaag is explicitly stated to be a daughter of the Witch of Izalith.

I heard the conversation with Quelana that you're talking about, but it was a while ago and since I didn't remember it totally clearly I omitted it, but from my recollection Quelana doesn't state outright that the Witch of Izalith became the Bed of Chaos. She asks you to end her torment, and the game refers to the witch as having been "engulfed by Chaos," but it equivocates and never outright states what the relationship between them is. It's ambiguous, to the best of my knowledge, whether the Witch is the Bed of Chaos or whether she is imprisoned by it, or some other thing. I'm open to being proven wrong about this, though.

Thagomizer said:
I'm human about half of the time, thirty-five hours, in, level 33, about to start Blighttown.

I've never been invaded, never been summoned, all my invasion attempts failed, and I've only ever seen two summon signs- one disappeared before I got to it, and another was on the Hellkite's bridge before I killed it.

EDIT: actually, I was invaded once- in Darkroot, by a jackass who used the RoF+ slow walk combo.

*sigh*

That sounds like networking issues -- if it doesn't seem better after the patch, try a static IP and opening your ports, if you haven't? :\

ixix said:
A lot of that is (entirely reasonable) assumption, though, and I was strictly limiting myself to what the game explicitly states, because I intend that list as a reference list of facts the game states outright. To put it another way, it's not an essay, it's a bibliography. There's no explicit statement about who the Black-Hemmed Pyromancer who guards the Bed of Chaos is, nor is there an explicit statement about who the corpse in the Ceaseless Discharge area is, so I omitted them. Quelana and Quelaag are explicitly referred to as being daughters of the Witch of Izalith, so they're included. I admit to fudging a little with Quelaag's sister, and including her based on the fact that she is explicitly stated to be Quelaag's sister and the fact that Quelaag is explicitly stated to be a daughter of the Witch of Izalith.

I heard the conversation with Quelana that you're talking about, but it was a while ago and since I didn't remember it totally clearly I omitted it, but from my recollection Quelana doesn't state outright that the Witch of Izalith became the Bed of Chaos. She asks you to end her torment, and the game refers to the witch as having been "engulfed by Chaos," but it equivocates and never outright states what the relationship between them is. It's ambiguous, to the best of my knowledge, whether the Witch is the Bed of Chaos or whether she is imprisoned by it, or some other thing. I'm open to being proven wrong about this, though.

I seem to recall somewhere/someone/something referring to the former, about the becoming that is... though I'm not sure why or what.

Edit:
Quelana says that the flame of chaos engulfed her mother and sisters. And asks that you kill them. When you kill bed of chaos and return to Quelana, she thanks you and gives you fire tempest and departs. So bed of chaos is indeed what her mother became when engulfed by chaos.

Zzoram

Dark Souls does something similar to Bioshock, but IMO better than the "twist" in Bioshock.

The most likely way for a player to progress through the game is by talking to Frampt when he is awoken by ringing the two bells, then obeying his request to bring him the Lord Vessel, defeat the diety-like Lord Gwyn in the Kiln of the First Flame, replace him and link yourself to the First Flame to extend the Age of Fire (ruled over by the diety-like Lords). However, only if you've been reading item descriptions and carefully listening to what NPCs have been subtly saying all game would you get the idea that this isn't the best course of action for yourself and humanity. If you try to progress without bringing Frampt the Lord Vessel, you'll eventually stumble upon Kaathe, who can also take you to the Kiln of the First Flame with the Lord Vessel. Kaathe explains to you that the Lords (diety-like rulers) who slew the eternal dragons and brought about the Age of Fire fear it's end and their end. As a result, they've tried to trick you into submitting your soul to kindling the First Flame to extend the Age of Fire. Kaathe believes that this is the wrong course of action, that the First Flame should be allowed to die out, ushering in an Age of Dark and Age of Man without the Lords so that humans can forge their own path.

In Bioshock, you are plainly told you are being used, then forced down the path of turning against the one who used you. Decisions are made with big on-screen prompts that lock your ending before you even really know what's going on.

In Dark Souls, you have to figure out or stumble onto the fact that you are being used, then you are still allowed to choose what you want to do through your actions at the end of the game. Technically, you don't even have to know what's going on and you can still trigger either ending with your actions. It's just that the game has been conditioning you to kindle every bonfire you see to set a checkpoint, so you are likely to kindle the First Flame without even realizing what you did until it's too late.

Therefore, Dark Souls does what Bioshock aimed to do more subtly while also giving you the ultimate decision over what to do, regardless of what path you took to get to the First Flame. Also, even after figuring out the story, you've been conditioned by the game play to accidentally help the Lords at the end even if you don't intend to if you don't think before you act, which is pretty clever.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
corrosivefrost said:
I seem to recall somewhere/someone/something referring to the former, about the becoming that is... though I'm not sure why or what.

It's entirely possible.
I only got that conversation with Quelana on my first character, and that was a while ago and I didn't have all that much context for it at the time. Since my memory of the conversation was hazy and a few attempts to find a transcript came up empty I equivocated rather than rely on a fuzzy recollection of something I didn't really understand at the time I heard it.

Dresden

You can tank every move Sif does with a good shield and some endurance. Just remember to let down your shield in between attacks to regen stamina.

corrosivefrost said:
If he's not that far, just up your item discovery and go play in darkroot basin or the area between the 3rd bonfire in the duke's archives and the entrance to crystal cavern; the drop rate of blue chunks from the crystal golems is pretty high, at least I was constantly getting chunks with just my gold ring on... if you boost to 30 humanity, I'm sure he could be at +9 waiting for a blue titanite slab (either getting it in crystal cavern or in NG+).

hey man thanks for your help. Im at the Magic Halberd +9. Where abouts can i get a blue titanite slab to make this my real weapon of choice?

ixix said:

Quelana specifically states that the flame of chaos the Witch of Izalith created "molded her mother and her sisters into grotesque creatures." Quelaag and the Fair Lady became half spider creatures, while the Witch of Izalith became the Bed of Chaos. This is why the Lord Soul comes from the Bed of Chaos. BTW killing the Fair Lady isn't required to finish Quelana's quest, only killing the Bed of Chaos.

All dialog relating to the Chaos Servants:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-YDVUJplOY&hd=1

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
EpicNameBro inspired me so damn much.

Ornstein & Smough, flaming two handed sword, solo, barely any vitality - DONE!

What a fantastic match that was. It was art.

Can't say I picked up on the story stuff first time through (too obsessed with thinking about gear and upgrades) but reading the stuff people have posted in this thread about it made me go from thinking it was nonexistent to actually thinking its kind of cool. Got the bad ending first time and I didn't really understand what happened. When Patches comes to firelink you can get dialogue from him about some of the other characters. At the time I thought he was full of shit but now I see that he was actually laying down some cold, hard truth. Interesting.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Alucrid said:
Lautric just rolled off the edge of firelink, any chance to get his items or is all lost?
If it's like in Demon's Souls, you should be able to reload your save and the loot should be where he fell.

Alucrid

Banned
Awesome, thanks. Forgot about that happening in Demon's Souls.

cj_iwakura said:
You're going to miss out on the coolest event in the game, but yeah.

That's what NG+, NG++, NG+++++++++++++++++ are for. :p

I was going to post what Mortrialus did, but he beat me to it. ;)

Phat Michael said:
hey man thanks for your help. Im at the Magic Halberd +9. Where abouts can i get a blue titanite slab to make this my real weapon of choice?

If you haven't been to crystal cavern, that's where you find the one guaranteed blue slab.

You'll need a ton of the crystal dropping orbs (10 souls each from patches or undead female merchant (shortcut between firelink/depths)).

You go into crystal caves and cross the first (forced) invisible bridge. head left and you'll be on a platform and you need to drop off to the second and last (forced) invisible bridge to seath.

When you drop onto that, turn around and there will be a cave under and through the platform you dropped off of. 2-3 crystal lizards spawn here -- but if you continue on through and follow the invisible path, there is a blue titanite slab on a corpse.

Just make sure you have the homeward miracle or bring a homeward bone so you don't have to try to navigate the invisible path in reverse; it's kind of like a ?...

X---
.....\
...../
.---
.|...
.|...
.|...

deim0s said:
I made Anor Londo dark. Fought the two npcs to farm... But after the third respawn on the bonfire, they're gone?

You have to warp to guarantee they return.

If you don't have bones to waste or the homeward miracle, do this, as it was my initial "Frost's patented" farm method. ;)

Warp to chamber of princess fire, drop down, slay them. Head to bonfire in the wing with all the silver knights where you entered the keep after the asshat archers.
Fighting the 2-4 knights in your path will net you (with silver snake ring) another 3500-4000 souls. If you do so, you can get something like 16000 souls per trip. When you get to that bonfire, warp back to chamber of princess bonfire, repeat.

I'm in Anor Londo. Should I continue through here or go to any of the optional zones? Aside of the 2 bells ringing and Sen's, I killed the hydra and the butterfly.

i spent 5 hours trying to get summoned, 0 success. this is fucking depressing. what exactly is wrong with the online? it was never this dead in Demon's Souls.

i'm lvl 38 and i drop my sign near bonfires and bosses in the Depths, Blighttown, Darkroot, Sen's... nothing.

it has worked better some other days, usually can find someone in 20mins. but now suddenly everywhere is quiet. i can see messages and ghosts so i know i'm online at least.

such a massive waste of time :( i only want to help other players and this is what i get for it. *imminent tears*

deim0s

corrosivefrost said:
You have to warp to guarantee they return.

If you don't have bones to waste or the homeward miracle, do this, as it was my initial "Frost's patented" farm method. ;)

Warp to chamber of princess fire, drop down, slay them. Head to bonfire in the wing with all the silver knights where you entered the keep after the asshat archers.
Fighting the 2-4 knights in your path will net you (with silver snake ring) another 3500-4000 souls. If you do so, you can get something like 16000 souls per trip. When you get to that bonfire, warp back to chamber of princess bonfire, repeat.
I knew it. Solid route to go. Thanks.

astroturfing said:
i spent 5 hours trying to get summoned, 0 success. this is fucking depressing. what exactly is wrong with the online? it was never this dead in Demon's Souls.

i'm lvl 38 and i drop my sign near bonfires and bosses in the Depths, Blighttown, Darkroot, Sen's... nothing.

it has worked better some other days, usually can find someone in 20mins. but now suddenly everywhere is quiet. i can see messages and ghosts so i know i'm online at least.

such a massive waste of time :( i only want to help other players and this is what i get for it. *imminent tears*

Do you redrop your sign frequently?
As a lot of people give up on this game or manage to finish it once and stop playing, I'm sure the opportunities to get summoned drop. :\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom