• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

K' Dash

FuzzyNorman said:
Is it worth changing my +10 spear into the horn of the butterfly or whatever it's called?

You should make the butterfly shield with that soul, if this is your first playtrough, super recomended if you're melee only.

Mortrialus said:
Given that your character rules the world in the Dark Lord ending, I think it's safe to say that whether the Age of Darkness is a good thing is literally up to you.

Sorry, lost power for a little bit so I couldn't post this response.

This isn't like a normal changing administration situation, though- from what we can tell, almost everyone in the Capital city who hasn't evacuated, and probably good part of the rest of the country, has been Hollowed, with people who still have their sanity few and far between-and those are dwindling very fast. Unless killing Gwyn somehow cures the Undead curse, you'll essentially be ruling over ruins. I really don't see how anything changes with the player character as the new Dark Lord, as it seems to me that things are beyond the point of being saved.

For that matter, why is extending the Age of Fire a bad thing? I mean, you can make a case it's because Gwyndolin is a power-hungry prick, but why is it intrinsically bad like Kaathe says, and how was Gwyn oppressing the people, especially since he's been burning in the Kiln for who knows how long and most of the populace has either Hollowed is going to in the near future and there is nothing anyone can do about it?

Come to think of it, if Gwyn wants you to kill him so he can end his suffering/revitalize the flame, why does he do his damnedest to turn you into hamburger when you reach him?

ok well gywndolin was easy - 1 x Crystal homing soul mass with Bellowing dragon crest ring while 1 hit of my Magic Halberd +10 with 99 intelligence killed her on the first go..

Phat Michael said:
i have no idea how to get to dark sun gwyndolin. i killed tits, also have dark moon seance on ....i dont see a doorway anywhere. what am i missing?
Where are you exactly? It took me a while to understand that there are three different height layers to the moving staircase tower thingy. There's a bonfire at the bottom level and when you equip the ring the statue behind it should fade away and reveal the boss.

Edit: ^ NVM

Phat Michael said:
ive noticed my Magic +6 halberd/winged spear or whatever does a lot more damage than my Quelaags fury sword +4 or Lightning Estoc +3.

I only wish i didnt waste all that damn blue titanite on my Enchanted Falchion and Magic Murakamo blade....otherwise now id be at +8 or +9....and no more blue titanite left :(

Interesting, what's your Intelligence?
Maybe it's so high that it's stat bonus dwarfs the lighting & fire weapons or have magic weapons been completely underestimated by everyone so far?

Thagomizer said:
Sorry, lost power for a little bit so I couldn't post this response.

This isn't like a normal changing administration situation, though- from what we can tell, almost everyone in the Capital city who hasn't evacuated, and probably good part of the rest of the country, has been Hollowed, with people who still have their sanity few and far between-and those are dwindling very fast. Unless killing Gwyn somehow cures the Undead curse, you'll essentially be ruling over ruins. I really don't see how anything changes with the player character as the new Dark Lord, as it seems to me that things are beyond the point of being saved.

For that matter, why is extending the Age of Fire a bad thing? I mean, you can make a case it's because Gwyndolin is a power-hungry prick, but why is it intrinsically bad like Kaathe says, and how was Gwyn oppressing the people, especially since he's been burning in the Kiln for who knows how long and most of the populace has either Hollowed is going to in the near future and there is nothing anyone can do about it?

Come to think of it, if Gwyn wants you to kill him so he can end his suffering/revitalize the flame, why does he do his damnedest to turn you into hamburger when you reach him?

1. The game never states, or even hints at what the cause of the Darksign was, nor how to cure it. It's possible that both or neither of the endings cure the Darksign.

2. The reason extending the Age of Fire is a considered a bad thing is because the only people who we know will benefit from it are the Lords, and by the end of the game, you've destroyed all or most of them, likely only leaving Gwyndolin, who is the true villain of the game.

3. Gwyn was likely driven mad during his time spent in the Kiln.

Mortrialus said:
2. The reason extending the Age of Fire is a considered a bad thing is because the only people who we know will benefit from it are the Lords, and by the end of the game, you've destroyed all or most of them, likely only leaving Gwyndolin, who is the true villain of the game.

So it's a case of
Nether outcome really changes things except for the main character?

I've read that there is a shortcut at the top of sen's fortress that shortens the time to get back to firelink but I cant locate it anywhere... Help?

So are there any other endings besides those two?

DigitalDevil said:
I've read that there is a shortcut at the top of sen's fortress that shortens the time to get back to firelink but I cant locate it anywhere... Help?
A cage before the boss if I remember correctly.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
x3r0123 said:
i was playing at my friend's house. So you know there are chances to do 2 hit combo when parrying? I got a 3 hit combo and it was sweet
Nope I have no idea what you are talking about :(

See You Next Wednesday said:
Interesting, what's your Intelligence?
Maybe it's so high that it's stat bonus dwarfs the lighting & fire weapons or have magic weapons been completely underestimated by everyone so far?

it was 80 then. its 99 now. I noticed my magic halberd did a LOT more damage than my enchanted Falchion. My fave weapon is the Lightning Estoc but i only have it at +3 now.

the halberd is great, it has fantastic range. while you are setting up for that kinda range you just equip Crystal Homing Soul Arrow and ur pretty much set.

Thagomizer said:
So it's a case of
Nether outcome really changes things except for the main character?

That and Kaathe, the character who wants the player to usher in the Age of Darkness/Age of Humanity, is the only one that is honest and upfront about everything.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I live in a country that don't really get game releases other than the big Microsoft and/or Sony titles, so I import all of my gaming.

Since I have to import overseas, shipping is usually a big thing when i'm buying a game: It costs between 8 and 18 USD to get a game down here reliably, so I usually wait the game to drop price after a couple months/sometimes weeks or buy an used copy down the road.

However, with Dark Souls for the 360, I see that the game is not showing signs of price drop. Every new copy is still 59,99 on ebay, and used copies are running on 45-49 bucks.

Why is that, I wonder? Is it because it's such a niche game that people know they will pay a high price, or are there just not that many copies of it around?

Should I get worried about the game becoming rare?

drizzle said:
I live in a country that don't really get game releases other than the big Microsoft and/or Sony titles, so I import all of my gaming.

Since I have to import overseas, shipping is usually a big thing when i'm buying a game: It costs between 15 and 8 USD to get a game here reliably, so I usually wait the game to drop price after a couple months/sometimes weeks or buy an used copy down the road.

However, with Dark Souls, I see that the game is not showing signs of price drop. Every new copy is still 59,99 on ebay, and used copies are running on 45-49 bucks.

Why is that, I wonder? Is it because it's such a niche game that people know they will pay a high price, or are there just not that many copies of it around?

Should I get worried about the game becoming rare?

Well, there have been a few deals like K-Mart's where you can get it 40$.

Dark Souls has actually sold very well in both Japan and America, though we don't know exactly how much it has sold in America. It's high sales is probably why there hasn't been a price cut yet.

Apparently these are it's sales in Japan.

Period: The week of Sep 19th – Sep 25th (2011)

Top-seller: Dark Souls – 279,567

That said, I haven't checked the source to see if it is reliable.

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/09/2...souls-sees-demon-sales-ninjas-infiltrate-3ds/

Haunted

Mortrialus said:
Apparently a new Dark Souls trailer was released the 25th and I completely missed it until today.

I love these "The player is getting his ass rocked." trailers, but I don't think it compares to the two Silent Comedy trailers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=he7AS_h5QlA
What does that narrator mean, "magic will not shield you". He clearly hasn't played with a Crystal Ring Shield/Strong Magic Shield.

Haunted said:
What does that narrator mean, "magic will not shield you". He clearly hasn't played with a Crystal Ring Shield/Strong Magic Shield.

To be fair, the crystal ring shield doesn't do a very good job of shielding. And the magic shield stuff is totally a glitch. So maybe it should be Magic will not shield you*

*After we patch it to play as intended.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Mortrialus said:
Well, there have been a few deals like K-Mart's where you can get it 40$.

Dark Souls has actually sold very well in both Japan and America, though we don't know exactly how much it has sold in America. It's high sales is probably why there hasn't been a price cut yet.
Oh, awesome. It's actually the other way around then.

That's very good to hear. It should show up for cheaper later this year/next year then.

Haunted

Mortrialus said:
That and Kaathe, the character who wants the player to usher in the Age of Darkness/Age of Humanity, is the only one that is honest and upfront about everything.
Fairly weak substance for a (literally) world-changing decision. I'd go with
linking the fires
every time, thanks. :p

corrosivefrost said:
To be fair, the crystal ring shield doesn't do a very good job of shielding. And the magic shield stuff is totally a glitch. So maybe it should be Magic will not shield you*

*After we patch it to play as intended.
haha, touché.

Haunted said:
linking the fires

haha, touché.

Also, leaving the world in the hand of the protagonist instead of Gwyndolin (Who is the true villain of the game) literally means that whether the age of Darkness is a good thing is mostly in the hands of the player.

ShaneB

This damn game. Each new area makes the previous feel like a cake walk. Sen's Fortress!! F. U.

Did get the lightning spear though, so that's awesome.

Ken

schennmu said:
Fuck that Gargoyle boss. Gives me more problems than Maneater! Had both of them down to one more hit and died! XD

If you're human you can summon Solaire (and Lautrec I think) to help.

ShaneB said:
This damn game. Each new area makes the previous feel like a cake walk. Sen's Fortress!! F. U.

Did get the lightning spear though, so that's awesome.

Sen's fortress, like a lot of areas in the game, comes down to experience.
At first, it's hard to figure out how to deal with certain things because they're new elements; once you've explored it and been around a bit, it's rather a cakewalk of an area. :)

Ken said:
If you're human you can summon Solaire (and Lautrec I think) to help.

For newbies, this is the way to go. I summoned Solaire and it was great to have him take the attention off me so I could shoot away with soul arrow.

Insaniac said:
Okay i'm on NG+ and my first playthrough I did the standard ending. How do I do the alternate one?

Walk out of the kiln after killing Gwyn, instead of lighting the bonfire?
If you want the full "story" don't talk to Frampt after getting the lordvessel and go kill four kings. Talk to Kaathe and join the Darkwraiths. Doesn't change the walk away ending, but technically it's the path you're supposed to take to get to that ending.

drizzle said:
Oh, awesome. It's actually the other way around then.

That's very good to hear. It should show up for cheaper later this year/next year then.

Well with Demon's Souls, I remember it took a year for the first major price drop (it was during Black Friday).

TheBear

I can't seem to upgrade my Magic Morning Star +5 any more. Why is that? Just reached the bonfire in Sen's, fuck me that was stressful

x3r0123 said:
go practice some parry and come back

on second thought:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIEv_o-TvRc
obviously it is spoilers if you havent encountered the last boss

notice, the common 2 hit combo parry...
except, i used another weapon (that commonly does one stab) and landed 3 hit combo

Oh, those are all weapon specific, I believe -- odd that your one hit seemed to do a 3 hit... is it maybe 1 hit for backstab, 3 for riposte?

bigjimmystyle said:
I can't seem to upgrade my Magic Morning Star +5 any more. Why is that? Just reached the bonfire in Sen's, fuck me that was stressful

You require the large magic ember before the dude will modify you to magic +6.

To go from +5 to +6, you need to Ascend it at a a black smith (the one outside of Sens will do it). Once it's at +6, you can reinforce it yourself again

bigjimmystyle said:

You need to find the embers that allow you to upgrade your weapon to Magic+6 or Enchanted (there's one for each).

rogerroger22 said:
To go from +5 to +6, you need to Ascend it at a a black smith (the one outside of Sens will do it). Once it's at +6, you can reinforce it yourself again

Incorrect. He specified MAGIC morning star. Andre will not touch magic weapons. Magic and Enchanted need to go through Rickert of Vinheim in the cell at the beginning of New Londo Ruins.

x3r0123

corrosivefrost said:
Oh, those are all weapon specific, I believe -- odd that your one hit seemed to do a 3 hit... is it maybe 1 hit for backstab, 3 for riposte?

backstab is always one hit
riposte can be one or two depending on the weapon. So the next combo adds an additional hit.
However, i got 3 hits on a weapon that normally does one

Yo Gotti

Banned
Haunted said:
linking the fires

haha, touché.

Eh, I dunno.
Gwyndolin is a confused, deceptive little prick. I wouldn't trust him as the sole God of the world.

As Kaathe says it, the Age of Man aka the Dark Age is the time of man's reign, in a "taking the power of the gods" kind of way. Instead of man being shepherded by the Gods, they choose their own fate, etc.. Think God of War 3.

I think it's the good ending :p.

Dresden

I didn't think of the 'age of darkness' as dark meaning evil, bad, etc. It's simply an age where the light of the gods will no longer shine upon the world. And in this world the gods are a capricious lot.

I wonder if a Dark Souls story thread would get any activity. Post individual item descriptions, etc.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Yo Gotti said:
Eh, I dunno.
Gwyndolin is a confused, deceptive little prick. I wouldn't trust him as the sole God of the world.

It's worth noting that
lighting the fire doesn't mean Gwyndolin wins. It's entirely possible for you to both kill him and light the fire. You can totally cause a continuation of the Age of Fire without any gods left if you want.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I got all excited about the powerful Tin Crystalization Catalyst last night, but I just realized that it halves the numbers of casts :\

What are some of the best Catalyst in the game? something without a downside would be nice.

So my brother just got the Witch's set on a guy and my god it looks awesome...except for some damn reason that in 2011 we still have games where robes are static and move with your legs like an extra pair of pants. >_>

Can we get proper or even semi proper cloth physics before we start talking about "omg Samaritan level graphics", devs?

Jinfash said:
I got all excited about the powerful Tin Crystalization Catalyst last night, but I just realized that it halves the numbers of casts :\

What are some of the best Catalyst in the game? something without a downside would be nice.

Logan's and Beatrice's Catalyst are common choices unless you need pure power (in which case Tin Crystallization). I use Logan's myself.

x3r0123 said:
backstab is always one hit
riposte can be one or two depending on the weapon. So the next combo adds an additional hit.
However, i got 3 hits on a weapon that normally does one

I got hit with a backstab the other day that looked like 2 hits... because the initial backstab made me laugh.

It was a large weapon, like a dragon king axe or something.
The first hit... I really laughed -- it was like 1/12th of my lifebar... and I thought "oh, you're so fucking dead when I get up from this...hahahaha". Then the second swing came in and took 95% of my remaining life. So I assumed it was a two hit backstab animation, since the second hit shouldn't have done like 15x what the initial backstab hit did.

Jinfash said:

Top 3, in my book:

Tie:
(1) Tin Crystalization Cataylst
(1) Logan's Catalyst
(3) Izalith Catalyst

If you're not an INT based character but have enough to cast sorceries like great soul arrow, then #1 is the one you buy from Dusk.

Dresden

Jinfash said:

Logan's Catalyst is the best scaling catalyst, but you'll need 48+ int for it to be slightly more effective than the regular catalyst.

Beatrice's, and the Izalith catalysts are identical to the normal sorceror's catalyst.

Tin Crystallization is the 'nuke' catalyst.

Lol I charged a sorcerer with my two handed greatsword while he charged up a spell, ended up both dead. We were fighting on the narrow bridges of Kiln, it was fucking epic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom