• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ill Saint

Had lots of fun invading at darkroot with the covenant. I suck mightily, so don't take the whole PvP thing very seriously. Most people I invaded were much higher level and quite decked out, so my +5 estoc and crappy soul arrows didn't get me many kills. Still, there were some good fights, and one guy humoured me with his crazy fist weapon. People are mostly really respectful and have a good attitude about it, too. Good stuff. This game keeps on giving.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Gattsu25 said:
Can someone confirm that the axe-weilding Black Knight, in the Kiln level, drops the Dark Knight Great Axe?

I've killed this dude 10 times with no result so far...

He did for me, using it now (replace golem axe as my main). 1st try for me, but all the other black Knights before that area didn't drop any weapons for me (save the shield). Got all my weapon drops in that last area in 1 try (Both swords, Halberd and axe)

Clear said:
Unfortunately you'll have to start over, or at least downgrade it from the modify weapon option back to +5. Andre does the work if I remember right.

I'd wait for the next cycle, unless you by some lucky chance have titanite slabs to spare.
I thought for lightning you had to go to +10 then the giant blacksmith will modify it to lightning?

Clott

IS anyone else slow and slowly having less fun with this game? I think it's drained me, It feels like when I play I make zero progress.

Edit: when should I start upgrading? on my way to sen's

Clott said:
IS anyone else slow and slowly having less fun with this game? I think it's drained me, It feels like when I play I make zero progress.

Just before Sen's I started to upgrade my weapon and shield. Research and start planning your upgrades now. I just finished Sen's and I'm back on a high again.

Edit: By time I got to the merchant at the top of Sen's I had enough souls to purchase rest of the Titanite I needed and upgraded my Iaito to +10.

Clott said:

Upgrading weapons is a good way for players to grind their game progression to a halt.

tokkun

Gattsu25 said:
Can someone confirm that the axe-weilding Black Knight, in the Kiln level, drops the Dark Knight Great Axe?

I've killed this dude 10 times with no result so far...

I have like 15 copies from farming that level for titanite chunks. Too bad it's impossible to set up co-op or I would just drop one for you.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Quote said:
I thought for lightning you had to go to +10 then the giant blacksmith will modify it to lightning?

Yeah you're right... after 160 hours of playtime you'd think I'd remember but I made my lightning winged spear such a long time ago, and because its only the ascension steps that you need to a smith for its easy to forget because most of the time you just do your upgrading from a bonfire using the smithbox.

Eeesh... Time to go back and correct my post. Sorry for the confusion.

Johnas

Trevelyon said:
It's extremely tough, especially Giant Ornstein's bullshit lighting slam that 90% of the time goes straight into a lighting skewer animation which is an insta-guard break and straight death, and all the lighting def didn't once save my arse for that.

He's probably much, much easier in a range battle, but I'm almost pure melee, so I had to go in close for the majority of the fight.

Yeah, I should have mentioned I'm pure melee as well. I don't have any kind of fire weapon either (or charcoal resin) so I guess I have to go back and farm to get a weapon like that, which I loathe the thought of doing.

I think I'll see what my good buddy Solaire can do to help first, though.

Ken

Would be neat if you could choose the land of origin for your character. Maybe have it unlock additional dialogue or events with certain NPCs or something.

Johnas said:
Yeah, I should have mentioned I'm pure melee as well. I don't have any kind of fire weapon either (or charcoal resin) so I guess I have to go back and farm to get a weapon like that, which I loathe the thought of doing.

I think I'll see what my good buddy Solaire can do to help first, though.

SunBro is the only reason I beat Ornstein second on my NG+.

Is this game really sensitive to Moderate NAT? I did some research and I apparently have a router that you can't change the NAT settings of. Is this why I haven't been able to connect with anyone outside of death ghosts and writing?

Thagomizer said:
Is this game really sensitive to Moderate NAT? I did some research and I apparently have a router that you can't change the NAT settings of. Is this why I haven't been able to connect with anyone outside of death ghosts and writing?
The net code is apparently garbage in general, but having a closed NAT is not going to help.

So, I finally talk to Kaathe. He ask me a question about the truth and I said no. Now I don't see him even after warping to different zones and back? Did I just screw myself out of a covenant?

zerokoolpsx said:
So, I finally talk to Kaathe. He ask me a question about the truth and I said no. Now I don't see him even after warping to different zones and back? Did I just screw myself out of a covenant?

I do believe you did.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
x3r0123 said:
its not about timing, its about the chances when you do it
alot of the giant weapons have a default of 2 hits when you parry.
In terms of damage, i believe it does some additional damage but not alot.
The only weapon that I have only tried and got the 3 hits is a shotel so I dont know about the rest as my disc is cracked. Hence, the reason why i said i was at friend's house was because of that.
things like these only come once in a while but when it does, it sure looks nice
Hmmmm will experiment

Gattsu25 said:
Cool. Beat the game, got the 'evil' (i.e. the 'good') ending.

New Game+ will be delayed by Batman, methinks

You can alternate NG+ runs. :lol:
I've platinumed Dark Souls and started moving on to Arkham City full time now; I think I'm going to speed run the rest of the story then go for 100% with NG+ there.

theta11 said:
I do most of my farming offline.

Doing it any other way is ridiculous.

40 humanity. Serpent ring. 2 hours of Harpies in Painted World. ONE Souvenir of Reprisal. Ugh.

Speaking of, anyone know a good way to farm them? I've mostly been waiting for the 3-4 to gather in one spot on top of the annex roof and them smoking them with chaos storm, then I take care of the last 3 1v1 in the tower steps; Homeward back to the bonfire, repeat. I didn't time it... 5 minutes per run? May be more. So boring.

Oracle Dragon said:
40 humanity. Serpent ring. 2 hours of Harpies in Painted World. ONE Souvenir of Reprisal. Ugh.

Speaking of, anyone know a good way to farm them? I've mostly been waiting for the 3-4 to gather in one spot on top of the annex roof and them smoking them with chaos storm, then I take care of the last 3 1v1 in the tower steps; Homeward back to the bonfire, repeat. I didn't time it... 5 minutes per run? May be more. So boring.

I farmed about 5 of them (and got about 5 from invading).
They came in spurts. Mid-level humanity with ring.
I'd get 2, then nothing.
I would run up to the annex, then down to where dark ember was, smoking the 2 that flew down with fire orb. I'd then go up to the roof where vow of silence was and wait for the 2 to spring their trap; back way toward the tower and undead dragon and ace em.
I'd then go down the stairs and ace a 5th and run past phalanx back to the bonfire.

bigjimmystyle said:
Why do you need to farm humanity? Serious question

Humanity to offer to Chaos covenant to rank up to level 2 for chaos firestorm and ability to open shortcut to lost izalith.
Humanity to offer to Darkwraith covenant to get red eye orb and and dark armor.
Humanity to carry 30 on your person so your drop rate is increased for rare items.
Humanity to carry 10 on your person to get benefits from chaos scaling.
Humanity to carry on your person to increase curse resist.
Humanity to turn human and then kindle bonfires.
Humanity to turn human and summon help for bossfights.
Humanity so you can invade others.

That's a start.

maomaoIYP

Hawkian said:
Hmmmm will experiment

Weapon types have fixed number of hits for ripostes and backstabs. For example, daggers have one hit while a club will have two.

The animation and damage changes when hornet's ring is equipped. You will get one extra hit animation (for ripostes only) if the enemy has enough health to survive the initial number of hits. Backstabs stay mostly the same, but the enemy gets kicked further away after the attack.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
theta11 said:
I do most of my farming offline.
heh I've played my entire game offline. Reason? Messages cluttering up the landscape. I may change this depending how tough endgame bosses are. Just got to the bonfire in Anor Londo.

Augemitbutter said:
heh, that's cruel. i remember the cat doing that to me.
At least with Alvina, it counts as a sin so you can absolve it with Oswald.
I was so pissed that I try to kill Frampt. Maybe to win favor with Kaathe. Anyway now Frampt is gone too. Looks like I'll join Darkwraith in my next playthrough. All this humanity for nothing. Stupid Kaathe.
The 10 souvenirs of reprisal took me about a little under 2 hours to farm 8. Gold serpent with almost max humanity at the time. Went through the door that requires the annex key and then to the tower. Homestead, rinse and repeat.

Damn it looks like I have to force myself to play through Blighttown, ugh, Im going to take a break here, I hope I dont forget about the game after playing a bit in this area.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
ohhh humanity burn

maomaoIYP said:
Weapon types have fixed number of hits for ripostes and backstabs. For example, daggers have one hit while a club will have two.

The animation and damage changes when hornet's ring is equipped. You will get one extra hit animation (for ripostes only) if the enemy has enough health to survive the initial number of hits. Backstabs stay mostly the same, but the enemy gets kicked further away after the attack.
Wait, so every weapon has two extra animations you only see when you use the hornet's ring? O.O

I can't remember the last time I didn't kill in one hit with a riposte, but I'll try some other weapons out.

sleepykyo

soldat7 said:
Any reason why I shouldn't go offline to pump my humanity and farm like crazy? I'm tired of invasions.

Speaking of which online is like a zombie film, undead everywhere with only a small amount of humans. No wonder it seems so difficult to get summoned.

Also platinum finally get.

maomaoIYP

Hawkian said:
ohhh humanity burn

Wait, so every weapon has two extra animations you only see when you use the hornet's ring? O.O

I can't remember the last time I didn't kill in one hit with a riposte, but I'll try some other weapons out.

The backstab animation isn't as drastically different compared to the riposte one. The easiest way to try this is with the NPCs at the forest covenant, most of them can take 2-3 ripostes. Also, use a crappier weapon to see the animation.

Doomrider

ixix said:
LORE POST OF AWESOME

I just wanted you to know that I appreciate this a lot. There is a lot of stuff I missed (I didn't think about reading most of the item descriptions), so this is really, really interesting. I gotta pay more attention on my 2nd playthrough.

x3r0123

corrosivefrost said:
Humanity to offer to Chaos covenant to rank up to level 2 for chaos firestorm and ability to open shortcut to lost izalith.
Humanity to offer to Darkwraith covenant to get red eye orb and and dark armor.
Humanity to carry 30 on your person so your drop rate is increased for rare items.
Humanity to carry 10 on your person to get benefits from chaos scaling.
Humanity to carry on your person to increase curse resist.
Humanity to turn human and then kindle bonfires.
Humanity to turn human and summon help for bossfights.
Humanity so you can invade others.

That's a start.

you forgot

Humanity so you can obtain exclusive items at specific parts of the game

K1LLER7

guys I upgraded my iaito sword and I didn't realise the strong attack changed too :(. I upgraded to chaos+5, wrong move? does humanity have a big effect on weapon damage?

Ken

corrosivefrost said:
Hmmm... not sure I know about this? Do tell, using spoiler tags if necessary (not for me, obviously)...

If you're human around certain areas, a black phantom NPC will invade. Killing the NPC will usually award you with some items he was carrying. Killing the boss without encountering the NPC will erase your chances of encountering them.

Spoiler for one of the encounters:

If you get to a certain spot in the Tomb of Giants while human, Paladin Leeroy will show up. Killing him nets you his Grant and Sanctum. After killing Nito, there will be a body in the same area that has the rest of his armor. Running past the Leeroy spot while hollow will cause him to not show up. Killing Nito will mean Leeroy never shows up even if you went back as a human.

cj_iwakura

Seems like this game is racking up the Plats for people, and I recall getting that on Demon's Souls was supposed to be the hardest thing ever. :p

All I have left are Miracles, Sorceries, the weapons(got three of the max ones), and the other ending. 71%.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
cj_iwakura said:
Seems like this game is racking up the Plats for people, and I recall getting that on Demon's Souls was supposed to be the hardest thing ever. :p

All I have left are Miracles, Sorceries, the weapons(got three of the max ones), and the other ending. 71%.
Not the hardest thing ever, but the grindiest unless you were lucky with Pure Bladestone (which I was three times in a row ._.).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom