• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

corrosivefrost said:
I got hit with a backstab the other day that looked like 2 hits... because the initial backstab made me laugh.

It was a large weapon, like a dragon king axe or something.
The first hit... I really laughed -- it was like 1/12th of my lifebar... and I thought "oh, you're so fucking dead when I get up from this...hahahaha". Then the second swing came in and took 95% of my remaining life. So I assumed it was a two hit backstab animation, since the second hit shouldn't have done like 15x what the initial backstab hit did.
Maces and axes get that two-hit animation, yeah. So does the Dark Hand, iirc.

TheBear

corrosivefrost said:
Incorrect. He specified MAGIC morning star. Andre will not touch magic weapons. Magic and Enchanted need to go through Rickert of Vinheim in the cell at the beginning of New Londo Ruins.

Yes, I had Rickert make the Magic Morning Star, and I was upgrading it myself with green titanite shards. So I need to go back to him to ascend it further?

Also, the firekeeper is dead, and I ate her soul. Does that mean I won't be able to relight the firelink bonfire?

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I updated my list of facts the game tells you about some of the characters. Same idea as the first incarnation, it's a non-exhaustive list of statements regarding some of the game's important characters along with where in the game to look to confirm them. This isn't intended as an interpretation of the game's story, and I try to minimize any commentary on my part and to preserve the game's own phrasing when summarizing. It is instead intended as a list of sources for people to look at to form their own interpretation. A Dark Souls Bibliography, if you will. I've added in-line citations and a footnotes section to denote areas where I've done some extrapolation from in-game sources with accompanying rationale.

Contains huge spoilers, obviously.

Gwyn
- Referred to as both Lord of Sunlight and Lord of Cinder. [Opening cinematic narration, final boss fight]
- Has three known children: an unnamed eldest son, Gwynevere*, and Gwyndolin. [Ring of the Sun's Firstborn, Darkmoon Blade Covenant Ring, Darkmoon Seance Ring item descriptions]
- Led a group of knights. [Opening cinematic narration, multiple item descriptions]
- Some of his knights fought the demons unleashed by the Witch of Izalith. [Black Knight Shield item description]
- Amongst the knights he led were 4 special knights who are specifically named: Artorias the Abysswalker, Hawkeye Gough, Lord's Blade Ciaran, and Ornstein the Dragonslayer. [Wolf Ring, Hawk Ring, Hornet Ring, Leo Ring item descriptions]
- At some indefinite time before the beginning of the game he left Anor Londo for the Kiln of the First Flame, taking some of his knights with him and leaving some in Anor Londo as guards. Those who went with him burned to ash when he lit the flame and were reduced to living suits of armor. [Silver Knight Armor, Black Knight Armor item descriptions]
- Before leaving to link the flame, he gave part of his Lord Soul to the Four Kings of New Londo and part of his Lord Soul to Seath the Scaleless. [Bequeathed Lord Soul item descriptions]
- Divided his power amongst his children before leaving to link the flame, taking only his sword with him. [Great Lord Greatsword item description]
- There is a tomb dedicated to him in Anor Londo. [Conversation with Gwyndolin]
- Havel the Rock was his compatriot. [Great Magic Barrier Miracle description]

Gravelord Nito
- Referred to as the First of the Dead. [Opening cinematic narration, Gravelord Sword item description]
- Pinwheel stole his power. [Mask of the Father, Mother, and Child item descriptions]
- Quietly oversees all death and waits for his servants to usher in the Eye of Death. [Gravelord Sword Dance Miracle description]

The Witch of Izalith
- Is never referred to by name in any capacity to the best of my knowledge.
- Attempted to create a First Flame, and in so doing created the Bed of Chaos and unleashed demons on the world. [Bed of Chaos Lord Soul item description]
- Created Pyromancy when she was engulfed by Chaos. [Demon's Catalyst item description]
- Did not herself use Pyromancy, but rather a form of flame sorcery that has since vanished. [Izalith Catalyst item description]
- Has at least three known daughters (I am uncertain if the game uses daughter in the literal or metaphorical sense in this case): Quelana, Quelaag, Chaos Covenant leader**. [Conversation with Quelana, Quelaag's Furysword item description, conversation with Chaos Covenant leader with Old Witch's Ring equipped]

Seath the Scaleless
- Is a dragon who betrayed his own kind. [Opening cinematic narration]
- Was a close confidante of Gwyn, and was given the Duke's Archive by him. [Conversation with Anor Londo Firekeeper]
- Obsessed with researching the Scales of Immortality. [Conversation with Anor Londo Firekeeper]
- Conducts experiments on human subjects with the aim of creating new sorceries. [Conversation with Big Hat Logan in Duke's Archive]
- Employs the Channelers to kidnap victims for his experiments. [Channeler's Trident item description]
- Specifically captures maidens for his experiments. [Archive Tower Giant Cell Key item description]
- The creatures in the basement of the Duke's Archive are the mistakes from his experiments. [Archive Tower Cell Key item description]
- Received a part of a Lord Soul from Gwyn. [Bequeathed Lord Soul item description]
- As of the time of the game he has gone mad. [Conversation with Anor Londo Firekeeper, Robe of the Channelers item description]
- Is blind. [Six-Eyed Helm of the Channelers item description]
- Created the Moonlight Butterfly. [Crystal Ring Shield item description]
- Is the grandfather of sorcery. [Moonlight Greatsword item description]

Gwyndolin
- Last born child of Gwyn. [Darkmoon Seance Ring item description]
- Is repulsive and frail, and so created an illusion of Gwynevere to help him guard Anor Londo. [Darkmoon Blade Covenant Ring item description]
- The Anor Londo Firekeeper is one of his followers, and he gave her the Brass Armor to hide her hideous form. [Brass Armor item description]
- The power of the moon was strong with him, and so he was raised as a daughter. [Moonlight Robe item description]
- Personally guards Gwyn's tomb in Anor Londo. [Boss fight]

Priscilla
- Is a cross between a dragon and something else. [Priscilla's Dagger item description]
- The Gods feared her lifehunt ability. [Lifehunt Scythe item description]
- Is referred to as a crossbreed bastard and antithesis to all life. [Soul of Priscilla item description]

The Four Kings
- Were the rulers of New Londo. [Bequeathed Lord Soul item description]
- Received a part of a Lord Soul from Gwyn***. [Bequeathed Lord Soul item description]
- At some point they fell to the Dark. [Key to the Seal item description]
- The knights who served them who fell to the Dark became the Darkwraiths. [Dark Armor item description]
- New Londo was flooded to banish them and the Darkwraiths. At the time New Londo was flooded it had a robust culture. [Key to the Seal item description]
- New Londo was sealed by three sorcerers. Two of them eventually tired of their duty and left New Londo. [Mask of the Sealer item description]
- The sorcerers who sealed New Londo were once known as healers. [Crimson Robe item description]

Darkstalker Kaathe
- Incited the Darkwraiths to use the power of the dark soul**** to absorb humanity. [Dark Hand item description]
- Does not like Frampt. [Conversation with Darkstalker Kaathe]
- Claims that the Pygmy possessed the Dark Soul and is the progenitor of the player character. [Conversation with Darkstalker Kaathe]
- Wants you to extinguish the First Flame to usher in the Age of Dark. [Conversation with Darkstalker Kaathe]
- Allows the player to join the Darkwraith Covenant, and gives the player the equipment of a Darkwraith. [Result of joining Darkwraith Covenant]

Havel the Rock*****
- Was a battlefield compatriot of Gwyn. [Great Magic Barrier Miracle description]
- Was a bishop. [Great Magic Barrier Miracle description]
- Hated magic and was the sworn enemy of Seath the Scaleless, and devised means to combat them. [Great Magic Barrier Miracle description]
- Leader of a group of warriors who were equipped similarly to himself. [Havel's Armor item description]

Lautrec
- Referred to as both Lautrec of Carim and Lautrec the Embraced. [Conversation with Lautrec, Embraced Armor of Favor item description]
- Follower of the goddess Fina. [Embraced Armor of Favor item description]
- At some point prior to the start of the game he forsook everything because he believed in Fina's love for him. [Helm of Favor item description]

The Pygmy
- Possessed the Dark Soul, is the progenitor of the player character. [Conversation with Darkstalker Kaathe]
- Is furtive. [Opening cinematic narration]

Footnotes
* Gwynevere is included because Gwyndolin refers to her as Sister Gwynevere and we know he is a child of Gwyn. She doesn't seem to be outright stated to be Gwyn's daughter at any point, however.
** Covenant leader is included owing to the fact that she is stated to be Quelaag's sister and Quelaag is stated to be a daughter of the Witch of Izalith.
*** The phrasing of the description implies that they were concurrent -- not successive -- rulers of New Londo.
**** Capitalization in the original. The dark soul is not rendered as a proper noun in the item description.
***** The game seems somewhat contradictory about whether the enemy in the basement of the tower connecting the Undead Burg with Darkroot Basin is Havel himself. The description of Havel's Ring dropped by this enemy implies that Havel himself never wore it, but the Watchtower Basement Key item description implies that it is indeed Havel himself.

Hahaq8

:D

kcz05s.jpg

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
x3r0123 said:
go practice some parry and come back

on second thought:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIEv_o-TvRc
obviously it is spoilers if you havent encountered the last boss

notice, the common 2 hit combo parry...
except, i used another weapon (that commonly does one stab) and landed 3 hit combo
Could you give some examples of weapons you have done this with? What difference in input/timing?

I've been relying on parry and riposte for 150+ hours through DS and Dark Souls, so I don't think practice is the key. To my knowledge every weapon had a single riposte (and one single backstab) animation. They are all unique, but I thought only one per weapon.

bigjimmystyle said:
Yes, I had Rickert make the Magic Morning Star, and I was upgrading it myself with green titanite shards. So I need to go back to him to ascend it further?

Also, the firekeeper is dead, and I ate her soul. Does that mean I won't be able to relight the firelink bonfire?

Yes.
And yes.

For the weapons, I'm sure we've covered it all sorts of times over, but the thread moves fast, so here's a quick recap.

Weapons are reinforceable by you with the kit. You can do so to any particular "branch" point. Branch points are usually at the multiples of 5.

Examples, for your morning star:
You find it, you can reinforce it to +5.
Now you can take it to Rickert's, but you must use the "modify weapon" menu entry. He will make it a magic morning star.
Now you can reinforce to +5 again, which is a branching point and requires the weapon be ascended through the "modify weapon" menu at the correct blacksmith [in this case, being the magic blacksmith, Rickerts]. However now in order to get this option, you need to find the enchanted ember or the large magic ember. If you take this to Rickerts and give them to him, then enter the modify weapon menu, your magic morning star+5 will show the options to go to either magic morning star +6 or enchanted morning star.
From this point, you are again able to reinforce yourself, to either magic +10 or enchanted +5.

This applies to all blacksmiths, once given the specific embers.

Andre (undead parish): divine, raw, standard, occult
Giant (anor londo): crystal, lightning, boss
Vamos (catacombs): fire, chaos
Rickerts (new londo): magic, enchanted

enchanted, occult, divine, raw, standard +6, standard+11, chaos, fire+6, magic +6, crystal require you to find the respective embers

chunk3rvd

Finally got to the bonfire at the bottom of Blighttown and figured the worst was over then I got my head smashed in by some big guys with boulders. Am I going the right way and if so, how should I tackle them?

Also, is it worth me
taking the waterwheel up now or should I try and beat the boss first? I remember people saying that it opens a shortcut back to firelink or something?

ixix said:
awesome list

Is it worth noting that Kaathe only gives you a dark hand when you join his covenant.
You get the red orb and armor set only after reaching ranks 1 and 2 respectively... (ie, after proving yourself).

chunk3rvd said:
Finally got to the bonfire at the bottom of Blighttown and figured the worst was over then I got my head smashed in by some big guys with boulders. Am I going the right way and if so, how should I tackle them?

Also, is it worth me
taking the waterwheel up now or should I try and beat the boss first? I remember people saying that it opens a shortcut back to firelink or something?

Yes, you're in the right spot.
It might be worth climbing out of blighttown to open the shortcut.
Also, if you take a detour about halfway up, you can get both (1) a firekeeper soul and (2) the remedy sorcery.
If you got out of blighttown and went back to firelink and looked up how to return to the asylum (with the key that's hidden in firelink), you can get the rusted iron ring, which makes dealing with those boulder tossing assholes much easier (though you can just avoid them by swinging around them in a wide arc.

Salih

so i am planning a new fresh playthrough after playing a warrior with pyro spells:

i wanna use a cleric/mage hybrid (wanna put points primarily into endurance, intelligence and faith) - my final weapon is going to be the greatsword of Artorias fully upgraded (i know i need 24 strength and 18 dex). my shields are going to be Crystal Ring Shield and Eagle Shield.
my guy should fight primarily with his weapons and use spells occasionally.

is this really that smart? ^^

bigjimmystyle said:
Thanks very much for that! Will it get more difficult later in the game without that bonfire? It's a bit of a pain in the arse right now.

Not really... the only part that will bite you in the ass is dealing with New Londo, because firelink is the closest one to getting back to the boss of New Londo Ruins. In the case you can't do what I suggest below once you get the "seal" opened, you can open the shortcut that leads to valley of drakes. The good news is you can use the bonfire that's across the bridge and up the elevator (and is in a cave at the bottom of darkroot basin). The bad news is there are 5 lightning breathing drakes that will be in your way between point a and b.

Now, maybe you can just hoss it like mad into the ruins and hide in a building until the drakes return to their normal spots, if they're too much for you.

I'm not sure if you can use another firekeeper's soul to restore her or if she's a specific soul that's different from the rest? All of the souls in the item screen do not stack and are separate items, so maybe you can go get another one and restore it.

Salih said:
so i am planning a new fresh playthrough after playing a warrior with pyro spells:

i wanna use a cleric/mage hybrid (wanna put points primarily into endurance, intelligence and faith) - my final weapon is going to be the greatsword of Artorias fully upgraded (i know i need 24 strength and 18 dex). my shields are going to be Crystal Ring Shield and Eagle Shield.
my guy should fight primarily with his weapons and use spells occasionally.

is this really that smart? ^^

My character does this, to an extent.
He has multiple copies of every spell, miracle, and pyromancy.
He carries the eagle shield or hollow shield (both +14 or +15), the +5 ascended pyro glove, logan's catalyst, and whichever weapon I feel like using (fire spear +10, lightning iaito +4, washing pole +15). I keep a talisman on me for when I feel like attuning some of the lesser miracles.

My end build was :

40 END, 30 something VIT, 22 STR, 20 DEX, 20 FAITH, 50 INT, 19 ATT

rance said:
I haven't played in almost two weeks and still no new patch info? Bummer.

Even if the patch is complete, it needs to go through the certification process for both Sony and MS to go live and those times vary... MS is more strict in requirements and that sometimes slows patches down. Hard to say when the patch will come, especially to both platforms. I wouldn't be expecting it any day, just to be realistic... we may all get pleasantly surprised, but I wouldn't be on it. Mind you, sometimes a patch gets fast-tracked but that's the exception, not the rule. :)

corrosivefrost said:
Not really... the only part that will bite you in the ass is dealing with New Londo, because firelink is the closest one to getting back to the boss of New Londo Ruins. In the case you can't do what I suggest below once you get the "seal" opened, you can open the shortcut that leads to valley of drakes. The good news is you can use the bonfire that's across the bridge and up the elevator (and is in a cave at the bottom of darkroot basin). The bad news is there are 5 lightning breathing drakes that will be in your way between point a and b.

Now, maybe you can just hoss it like mad into the ruins and hide in a building until the drakes return to their normal spots, if they're too much for you.

I'm not sure if you can use another firekeeper's soul to restore her or if she's a specific soul that's different from the rest? All of the souls in the item screen do not stack and are separate items, so maybe you can go get another one and restore it.

Can't you just warp to Firelink with the Lordvessel? If so, if he just kindles another bonfire, wouldn't the effect will be nearly the same?

Salih

corrosivefrost said:
My character does this, to an extent.
He has multiple copies of every spell, miracle, and pyromancy.
He carries the eagle shield or hollow shield (both +14 or +15), the +5 ascended pyro glove, logan's catalyst, and whichever weapon I feel like using (fire spear +10, lightning iaito +4, washing pole +15). I keep a talisman on me for when I feel like attuning some of the lesser miracles.

My end build was :

40 END, 30 something VIT, 22 STR, 20 DEX, 20 FAITH, 50 INT, 19 ATT

i am still thinking about going 50 INT or 50 FAITH (either the soul or the lightning spears). for my first playthrough both is not possible.
as i see you have 50 INT - do you have the white dragon breath spell? if so, how is it?

ixix

corrosivefrost said:
Is it worth noting that Kaathe only gives you a dark hand when you join his covenant.
You get the red orb and armor set only after reaching ranks 1 and 2 respectively... (ie, after proving yourself).

I had a lot of trouble with that whole section, actually. It comes off as incredibly bland and wishy-washy as a result, but the alternative was to load it all down with footnotes, which I'm not sure would be an improvement and violates my self-imposed rule to employ footnotes as sparingly as possible.
I think Kaathe is intended to be incredibly ambiguous, so that really isn't too surprising. Basically everything you learn about him comes from what he himself tells you, nobody else seems to either know he exists or, if they do know, they're unwilling to talk about him, and the only time the game ever seems to make even a remotely third-person omniscient reference to him is in the description for the Dark Hand. His exact relationship to the Darkwraiths and the Four Kings is never touched upon.

So in answer to your question, yeah, I'll see if I can't figure out a way to spruce that up a bit.

Getting stuck on geometry towards the bottom of the great hollow and getting ass raped by giant mushrooms is not fun. That's the first time I've died due to the game's programming and not my own lack of skill.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Just had about an hour of amazing PVP action in Anor Londo. If anyone wants some good PVP, kill
Gwynevere
to get the
Dark Anor Londo
and go Human. I was invaded pretty much nonstop after doing that, and it brings back the ability to summon people to fight with you. I imagine this place will always be packed full of PVP players for a long time with it being a core part of the Blades of the Darkmoon.

Speaking of, I love the rivalry between the Darkwraiths(Red Phantoms) and the Blades of the Darkmoon(Blue Phantoms), it turns out that during an invasion, they're hostile towards each other. At one point me and a Darkmoon player were fighting it out, when a Darkwraith invaded and starting fighting the Darkmoon player instead of me XD. Me and my summon just sat back and watched as he killed him, then took him out together. Another time 2 phantoms got summoned at once, but they didn't show up for a while. Me and my buddy go to investigate and a red and blue phantom run around opposite sides of the giant elevator in the middle of Anor Londo for a surprise attack. They were cooperating to take us out, pretty awesome.

This game really has it's moments when it's not just 1 on 1, having teams makes everything so much more interestin. At the end of it all we must've gone about 30 matches in a row, I ended up with over 900,000 souls and 4 extra humanity.

x3r0123

Hawkian said:
Could you give some examples of weapons you have done this with? What difference in input/timing?

I've been relying on parry and riposte for 150+ hours through DS and Dark Souls, so I don't think practice is the key. To my knowledge every weapon had a single riposte (and one single backstab) animation. They are all unique, but I thought only one per weapon.

its not about timing, its about the chances when you do it
alot of the giant weapons have a default of 2 hits when you parry.
In terms of damage, i believe it does some additional damage but not alot.
The only weapon that I have only tried and got the 3 hits is a shotel so I dont know about the rest as my disc is cracked. Hence, the reason why i said i was at friend's house was because of that.
things like these only come once in a while but when it does, it sure looks nice

Does anyone else's R1 button become unresponsive sometimes? I only notice it when i'm attempting to backstab so I don't know if it's a broken button situation or what.

vilmer_

Yo Gotti said:
Just had about an hour of amazing PVP action in Anor Londo. If anyone wants some good PVP, kill
Gwynevere
to get the
Dark Anor Londo
and go Human. I was invaded pretty much nonstop after doing that, and it brings back the ability to summon people to fight with you. I imagine this place will always be packed full of PVP players for a long time with it being a core part of the Blades of the Darkmoon.

Speaking of, I love the rivalry between the Darkwraiths(Red Phantoms) and the Blades of the Darkmoon(Blue Phantoms), it turns out that during an invasion, they're hostile towards each other. At one point me and a Darkmoon player were fighting it out, when a Darkwraith invaded and starting fighting the Darkmoon player instead of me XD. Me and my summon just sat back and watched as he killed him, then took him out together. Another time 2 phantoms got summoned at once, but they didn't show up for a while. Me and my buddy go to investigate and a red and blue phantom run around opposite sides of the giant elevator in the middle of Anor Londo for a surprise attack. They were cooperating to take us out, pretty awesome.

This game really has it's moments when it's not just 1 on 1, having teams makes everything so much more interestin. At the end of it all we must've gone about 30 matches in a row, I ended up with over 900,000 souls and 4 extra humanity.

Sounds like a blast :) What SL are you?

DigitalDevil said:
Getting stuck on geometry towards the bottom of the great hollow and getting ass raped by giant mushrooms is not fun. That's the first time I've died due to the game's programming and not my own lack of skill.

Huh, can't say I ever got stuck on anything down there. That sucks... sorry to hear that. :\

RoboGeorgeForeman said:
Can't you just warp to Firelink with the Lordvessel? If so, if he just kindles another bonfire, wouldn't the effect will be nearly the same?

True... this would work, so he wouldn't be too badly off, actually.

ixix said:
I had a lot of trouble with that whole section, actually. It comes off as incredibly bland and wishy-washy as a result, but the alternative was to load it all down with footnotes, which I'm not sure would be an improvement and violates my self-imposed rule to employ footnotes as sparingly as possible.
I think Kaathe is intended to be incredibly ambiguous, so that really isn't too surprising. Basically everything you learn about him comes from what he himself tells you, nobody else seems to either know he exists or, if they do know, they're unwilling to talk about him, and the only time the game ever seems to make even a remotely third-person omniscient reference to him is in the description for the Dark Hand. His exact relationship to the Darkwraiths and the Four Kings is never touched upon.

So in answer to your question, yeah, I'll see if I can't figure out a way to spruce that up a bit.

It was just meant as an observation based on the wording -- if I didn't know better I'd think he showered all of it upon you, but I made sure I grinded the 30 humanity items I'd need to get the gear and not worry about changing covenants immediately after if I wanted to. Just trying to help, not trying to be a douche. :)

Salih said:
i am still thinking about going 50 INT or 50 FAITH (either the soul or the lightning spears). for my first playthrough both is not possible.
as i see you have 50 INT - do you have the white dragon breath spell? if so, how is it?

It's okay -- I didn't find a terrible amount of uses for it other than my favorite being crowd control, like getting the bastard statues in lost izalith/demon's ruins to bunch up and then smack 'em with it. I prefer my homing crystal soul masses much much more. They are without a doubt in my mind the best sorcery in the game.

Be aware that with the miracle (sunlight spear?) that comes from the soul of Gwyn that I believe you have to remain in the warriors of sunlight covenant to use it.

Yo Gotti

Banned
vilmer_ said:
Sounds like a blast :) What SL are you?

I'm SL123 now. I was 113 during that run but those souls put me up 10 levels. Now I think I'm at the point where I've leveled all the stats that I want, so I'm probably going to stop at SL130.

For some reason those Darkmoon invaders run around with a ton of souls, I think the highest off one kill was 50k, lowest was 5k I believe.

Some guy sent me a message saying "lol, nice farming tactic"... I didn't even intend it to be like that. lol.

ixix

corrosivefrost said:
It was just meant as an observation based on the wording -- if I didn't know better I'd think he showered all of it upon you, but I made sure I grinded the 30 humanity items I'd need to get the gear and not worry about changing covenants immediately after if I wanted to. Just trying to help, not trying to be a douche. :)

Don't worry about it, you didn't come off as a douche. I'm not trying to come as a jerk in my responses to you and to Mortrialus earlier, but the sections on
Kaathe and the Witch of Izalith
are hard to put together while sticking only to direct statements by the game, preferably in the form of item descriptions. You're both correct in your criticisms of them, but I have a lot of trouble figuring out ways to improve them while sticking to my self-imposed guidelines for avoiding commentary and minimizing footnotes. The game is so vague about so much regarding the two of them that trying to compile a list of facts about them is almost enough to drive me to drink. I'm not sure either section is ever going to really be satisfactory without going outside the constraints of the format I've set.

Quote said:
Does anyone else's R1 button become unresponsive sometimes? I only notice it when i'm attempting to backstab so I don't know if it's a broken button situation or what.

Yeah, sometimes if I'm blocking and circling behind them, then stop and tap R1, it doesn't do anything.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I'm trying to shake things up regarding sorceries, and I need some suggestions...

Rate these Sorceries by effectiveness vs. usability, with number of uses in mind:
- Soul Arrow
- Great Soul Arrow
- Heavy Soul Arrow
- Great Heavy Soul Arrow
- Homing Soul Mass
- Homing Crystal Mass
- Soul Spear
- Crystal Soul Spear
- White Dragon Breath

I've only got 5 attunement slots (so I'm going to pick the top 5), my INT is 50, and I just started using Logan's Catalyst, as suggested. The bolded spells are the ones I've been using up to this point. I'm currently going through Demon's Ruin, and about to head to Izalith. The only remaining areas I haven't completed yet are the Catacombs and Tombs of the Giants.

Wow, I was going to climb from Blightown but I decided to explore some more and
I discovered the great hollow and then the ash lake. FROM really went overboard with optional stuff on this game, love it. I joined the dragon covenant and killed the Hydra. The dragon head thing is hilarious

Sadly I got cursed. Damn frogs.

Asked earlier, but this thread moves so fast.

Is there any guide for getting all the NPC events?

I would hate to discover on my 30th hour of new game plus, that this playthrough is a bust as far as a trophy goes.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
If you want an impressively powerful weapon without a reliance on heavy stat boosting try combining an elemental upgrade with a physical property like bleed. Fire/Lightning Iaito+10 is a brutal brutal combo.

Clear said:
If you want an impressively powerful weapon without a reliance on heavy stat boosting try combining an elemental upgrade with a physical property like bleed. Fire/Lightning Iaito+10 is a brutal brutal combo.
I just raised my iaito to +10. I doubted, but now I'm a believer. I can't wait to get lightning on it. When can I do that?

sephi22

Gamer @ Heart said:

I would hate to discover on my 30th hour of new game plus, that this playthrough is a bust as far as a trophy goes.
Just wiki the name of the NPC. That worked well enough for me.

Jinfash said:
I'm trying to shake things up regarding sorceries, and I need some suggestions...

Rate these Sorceries by effectiveness vs. usability, with number of uses in mind:
- Soul Arrow
- Great Soul Arrow
- Heavy Soul Arrow
- Great Heavy Soul Arrow
- Homing Soul Mass
- Homing Crystal Mass
- Soul Spear
- Crystal Soul Spear
- White Dragon Breath

I've only got 5 attunement slots (so I'm going to pick the top 5), my INT is 50, and I just started using Logan's Catalyst, as suggested. The bolded spells are the ones I've been using up to this point. I'm currently going through Demon's Ruin, and about to head to Izalith. The only remaining areas I haven't completed yet are the Catacombs and Tombs of the Giants.

Homing Crystal Soulmass is and forever will be the MVP of Sorcery. Highest DPS that causes obscene numbers when combined with Crystal Soul Spear or even melee combos, allows you to attack while on the move or rolling/defending, and tracks Fog Ring users and laughs at them.

Don't have time to rate the others since I have to get back to work, but my all means necessary, have this spell on at all times.

Johnas

Trevelyon said:
Just solo'd NG+ Ornstein and Smough for O'stein's drop (SL 110) that thing was not easy, not at all.

I'm trying to solo them on my first run through the game, and I just can't do it.

It's the first time in a long time that I have found a portion of any game to just be undoable. I'll probably just end up summoning Solaire and hopefully, maybe then getting it over with.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
DigitalDevil said:
I just raised my iaito to +10. I doubted, but now I'm a believer. I can't wait to get lightning on it. When can I do that?

Unfortunately you'll have to start over, or at least downgrade it from the modify weapon option back to +5. Andre does the work if I remember right.

I'd wait for the next cycle, unless you by some lucky chance have titanite slabs to spare.

****EDIT****

Disregard this please. I had a total brainfart and got confused. No excuses.

Its +10 at Giant blacksmith in Anor Londo.

Sorry.

Gamer @ Heart said:

darksouls.wikidot.com should have most info by now.

psykomyko

So I just got to
Gravelord Nito
. Is this boss as hard as it seems? I have only tried it twice, and it seems almost impossible especially with all the freaking
skeletons
chasing me as I am trying to fight him.

Jinfash said:

- Soul Arrow
- Great Soul Arrow
- Heavy Soul Arrow
- Great Heavy Soul Arrow
- Homing Soul Mass
- Homing Crystal Mass
- Soul Spear
- Crystal Soul Spear
- White Dragon Breath

Homing Crystal Soulmass should never come out of your attunement slots. If you have 2 copies, it should be there twice. If I was forced to choose from the rest... it depends; I always had strong melee weapons so I would usually add Homing Soulmass and then augment with Soul Spear or Crystal Soul Spear as necessary.

Other than that, White Dragon Breath is a good all purpose replacement for something like Soul Arrow, but you need to be wary that it's pluses are also minuses. It can go up or down stairs instead of being cast into them, however, it can not cover the same distance or deal with people who are on ledges in some senses.

Gamer @ Heart said:

What trophies and I'll do my best?

Septimius

Are you fucking kidding me?! I managed to forget to loot the last chest in the room where the key to Logan's cell is because I got invaded. I remembered it now, after I beat Seath, but now he's no longer in his cell?? I get that this might increase replay value, but for fuck's sake, FROM, there are so many wrong ways to do your "choose your next place to go" shit that it should've been linear. No crystal sword enchantment? No crystal homing mass? The fuck is this shit?!

EDIT: He got out himself? I can find him back there?

Septimius said:
Are you fucking kidding me?! I managed to forget to loot the last chest in the room where the key to Logan's cell is because I got invaded. I remembered it now, after I beat Seath, but now he's no longer in his cell?? I get that this might increase replay value, but for fuck's sake, FROM, there are so many wrong ways to do your "choose your next place to go" shit that it should've been linear. No crystal sword enchantment? No crystal homing mass? The fuck is this shit?!

Is he not in the annex room as if he escaped on his own? I'm not sure how that works. I always made sure to get him out ASAP because I wanted the homing crystal soulmass spell (again).

psykomyko said:
So I just got to
Gravelord Nito
. Is this boss as hard as it seems? I have only tried it twice, and it seems almost impossible especially with all the freaking
skeletons
chasing me as I am trying to fight him.

Use a divine or occult weapon to kill them, then deal with Nito -- also, stick to the side of the room you fall in on, the other side has 3 bigger skeletons.

Heysoos

Two questions. I got to Undead Parish, opened the big gate with the lever. If I go up, there's a big building with some knights inside and a big menacing dude standing in the back, should be going after him? Not sure if he's a normal knight.

Also, it said I got invaded earlier right when I was going to quit to play Battlefield 3. I didn't see anyone and wasn't completely sure what was going on. I just dashboarded out, do I get penalized or anything? I'm just about to look for more info on this, since I'm not completely sure how the invasion mechanic works.

Mindlog

Rough going today. Not a single summon. Yesterday I summoned and was summoned as regularly as I desired. Today I quit trying and ran around officially finding the covenants. I bought everything from Shiva of the East and the took the Wood Grain Ring. Just messing around with different setups and Wood Grain + Mask of the Child is crazy effective PvE.

I need to Praise the Sun! I hope these NA game sales bring in a few more new players and increase activity. I believe I just need 2 more boss kills. I hope I can farm the last area of the game and still warp out to get my boss assists.

Trevelyon

Johnas said:
I'm trying to solo them on my first run through the game, and I just can't do it.

It's extremely tough, especially Giant Ornstein's bullshit lighting slam that 90% of the time goes straight into a lighting skewer animation which is an insta-guard break and straight death, and all the lighting def didn't once save my arse for that.

He's probably much, much easier in a range battle, but I'm almost pure melee, so I had to go in close for the majority of the fight.

ixix said:
I updated my list of facts the game tells you about some of the characters. Same idea as the first incarnation, it's a non-exhaustive list of statements regarding some of the game's important characters along with where in the game to look to confirm them. This isn't intended as an interpretation of the game's story, and I try to minimize any commentary on my part and to preserve the game's own phrasing when summarizing. It is instead intended as a list of sources for people to look at to form their own interpretation. A Dark Souls Bibliography, if you will. I've added in-line citations and a footnotes section to denote areas where I've done some extrapolation from in-game sources with accompanying rationale.

Contains huge spoilers, obviously.

I forgot to mention last time you did this that it's really cool you're compiling this, even though I think that through you could add a lot more information to it through deduction. Add the Four Knight's of Gwyn in your next update. I think Astorias and Ornstein are really awesome.

I love Dark Souls's lore and the way it was told. It feels very archaeological, like Metroid Prime's story. The lore is very out of the way, that finding tidbits of the lore through conversations and dialog feels like an incredible reward that adds to how rewarding exploration in the game is.

goodfella

It pisses me off that people can invade you when they are so much better than you. I just got invaded by a player, so I summoned a phantom to help me, and the dick instantly killed my phantom, then killed me in two hits.

Haunted

Heysoos said:
Two questions. I got to Undead Parish, opened the big gate with the lever. If I go up, there's a big building with some knights inside and a big menacing dude standing in the back, should be going after him? Not sure if he's a normal knight.
He's not a normal knight and won't respawn, but you can take him. Even if you die once or twice, the trek from the Firelink Shrine bonfire is really short, because there's an elevator/shortcut to the left of the big knight (which you can activate before engaging him for the first time).

The reward for fighting him is well worth it.

Gattsu25

Banned
Can someone confirm that the axe-weilding Black Knight, in the Kiln level, drops the Dark Knight Great Axe?

I've killed this dude 10 times with no result so far...

Gattsu25 said:
Can someone confirm that the axe-weilding Black Knight, in the Kiln level, drops the Dark Knight Great Axe?

I've killed this dude 10 times with no result so far...

He does. I got it from him. However, that thing has the worst drop rate of all the DK weapons from both mine and many other's experience grinding it.

Gattsu25

Banned
Mortrialus said:
He does. I got it from him. However, that thing has the worst drop rate of all the DK weapons from both mine and many other's experience grinding it.
Thanks. I'm sitting at 400 ID and was starting to get discouraged.. I just need to get this ace and one other item (to upgrade my Fire Iaito from +9 to +10) and then I'm beating this game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom