• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

x3r0123

cj_iwakura said:
Seems like this game is racking up the Plats for people, and I recall getting that on Demon's Souls was supposed to be the hardest thing ever. :p

All I have left are Miracles, Sorceries, the weapons(got three of the max ones), and the other ending. 71%.

the most time consuming part for me in demon souls was grinding for that pure bladestone at 4-2. It literally took me days to get one

theta11

cj_iwakura said:
Seems like this game is racking up the Plats for people, and I recall getting that on Demon's Souls was supposed to be the hardest thing ever. :p

All I have left are Miracles, Sorceries, the weapons(got three of the max ones), and the other ending. 71%.

Platinum in this game and Demon's Souls aren't difficult to get, they are just time consuming.

I platinum this game a few days ago with a 70 hours logged on the save.

I need advice on how to level up my character. I'm playing as pyromancer, but only use the spell as emergency since it's limited ammo, alsi I like the agility to move around so I haven't upgrade my starting equipment at all since armor I can find or buy so far is heavy knight equipment.

So, should I upgrade my int despite not using spell that much, or should I upgrade strength or dexterity? other question, since you didn't use shield to attack, what's the attack power mean for a shield?

I just get my drake sword if you want to know wheee I am. just exploring the area after the drake sword. curremtly at level 15

Giard

Is there any reason to stay in the Forest Hunters if you received the Ring of Fog? I want the
Dark Wood Grain Ring that the ninja drops...but i like the Cat Covenant Ring for PvP.

Haunted

Callibretto said:
I need advice on how to level up my character. I'm playing as pyromancer, but only use the spell as emergency since it's limited ammo, alsi I like the agility to move around so I haven't upgrade my starting equipment at all since armor I can find or buy so far is heavy knight equipment.

So, should I upgrade my int despite not using spell that much, or should I upgrade strength or dexterity? other question, since you didn't use shield to attack, what's the attack power mean for a shield?

I just get my drake sword if you want to know wheee I am. just exploring the area after the drake sword. curremtly at level 15
Intelligence does not factor into your pyromancy damage. Pyromancy is driven by the equipment only.

Statswise, going with Strength or Dexterity depends entirely on your weapon of choice. You might want to put some stats into Endurance so the heavier equipment doesn't interfere with you rolling and jumping around.

EasyMode

Saren is Bad said:
I have an Iaito +5 that I want to turn Lightning. Is my next step to upgrade to +10 then to lightning? What mats/BS is needed for that?
That's right, upgrade to +10 with large titanite shards. The blacksmith at Anor Londo can modify it to lightning. At that point you need titanite chunks for each lightning upgrade and a slab to finish it off.

elty

Gattsu25 said:
It gains S-rank Intelligence stat scaling when you level up your glove a few times.

It did not increase my pyro spell damage after I increase my int from 12 to 18, so I think that only scales for physical R2 attack.

Gattsu25 said:
It gains S-rank Intelligence stat scaling when you level up your glove a few times.

It's only for when you hit people with it using R2, not for a spell. Which, while fairly useless, at least makes you wonder why it doesn't gave S-rank with STRENGTH if you are going to be hitting people with it.

x3r0123

Oracle Dragon said:
It's only for when you hit people with it using R2, not for a spell. Which, while fairly useless, at least makes you wonder why it doesn't gave S-rank with STRENGTH if you are going to be hitting people with it.

intelligence makes you hit things harder :D

Giard

Giard said:
Is there any reason to stay in the Forest Hunters if you received the Ring of Fog? I want the
Dark Wood Grain Ring that the ninja drops...but i like the Cat Covenant Ring for PvP.
Hope not, cause I'm gonna kill him in a couple of seconds :eek:
If I miss anything important I will hold a grudge against you guys for my whole life.

EDIT: Someone answered in the other thread.

Odrion

Banned
I'm a little torn between two items and what to use my blue titanite slab on.

I have an enchanted falchion +4, and an enchanted battleaxe. The falchion will have an A in intellect scaling if it becomes +5, the battleaxe will only have a B ranking (but still blue, so it's a better B...?)

I'm tempted to go falchion, but from the description it says it's weak against armor and enemies with thick scales (might just be how it plays though, I don't know if there's any real damage reduction.) And I like the feel of the battleaxe.

tokkun

Haunted said:
Intelligence does not factor into your pyromancy damage. Pyromancy is driven by the equipment only.

Statswise, going with Strength or Dexterity depends entirely on your weapon of choice. You might want to put some stats into Endurance so the heavier equipment doesn't interfere with you rolling and jumping around.

Dexterity also increases the speed of Pyromancies.

Searching for World of the Guilty...

Invasion failed...
Invasion failed...
Invasion failed...

Why do they do this? I don't care if my invasion failed. Well, okay, I DO care, but I don't need to know about it. Just keep searching for someone to invade until it is successful. I know they are out there. I must be cycling through a list in painted world, because I had a match, a whole pile of failures (I'm talking 40+), then another match, with the SAME GUY as the first time. So why make me re-use the Blue Eye Orb each time? Just keep looking...

Goredrinker

Neo Member
Is anyone trying to play the game with the extra large weapons? and is it a decent way to go?

I'm only now up to the undead burg and have the stats to use the Zweihander one handed. I an quite enjoying the combat with it. But long term is it worth upgrading this or would another giant weapon be more managable?

Varna

Oracle Dragon said:

Invasion failed...
Invasion failed...
Invasion failed...

Why do they do this? I don't care if my invasion failed. Well, okay, I DO care, but I don't need to know about it. Just keep searching for someone to invade until it is successful. I know they are out there. I must be cycling through a list in painted world, because I had a match, a whole pile of failures (I'm talking 40+), then another match, with the SAME GUY as the first time. So why make me re-use the Blue Eye Orb each time? Just keep looking...

Yeah.. It's pretty dumb. Currently using the blue eye orb to do the same and it's just annoying. Let me go about my business while the games looks... not a big deal to offer such an option.

Goredrinker said:
Is anyone trying to play the game with the extra large weapons? and is it a decent way to go?

I'm only now up to the undead burg and have the stats to use the Zweihander one handed. I an quite enjoying the combat with it. But long term is it worth upgrading this or would another giant weapon be more managable?

I have a Zweihander +10 fire; it clobbers things good, but it is situational. If you are getting mobbed, it's not a good weapon it's too slow and takes too much stamina. I find what it works best on is enemies that you have to defend a lot against and only have small windows of opportunity to attack. Then 1-2 hits with this thing can make a ton of difference. The sentinels in Anor Londo and the skeletons in Tomb of Giants come to mind. Also quite good on bosses.

But for day-to-day work, I use my Battle Axe Lightning +5, fast, reliable, and plenty of stamina left for guarding. Slash + Overhead attack makes it very versatile for both getting swarmed, and tight corridors.

soloscout

Neo Member
In regards to pyro spell damage and intel not influencing the output: has anyone found the Izalith Catalyst? I'm wondering if that could be one way to get pyro to scale with intelligence. Can anyone confirm?

Ill Saint

Oracle Dragon said:

Invasion failed...
Invasion failed...
Invasion failed...

I had an insane amount of failures trying to summon people... about a dozen fails in a row. Finally quit out, restarted the game, and tried again. I was able to summon two people immediately. Could just be luck of the draw, but might be worth a shot to restart the game.

Mindlog

Behold, your new
Dark Lord
of Jolly Co-operation.

I managed to get an O&S summon. After that I made straight the end-game. I hope the game sells well and From will be given a little more time to cook the next title.

Bring on the Bat.

x3r0123

Mindlog said:
Behold, your new
Dark Lord
of Jolly Co-operation.

I managed to get an O&S summon. After that I made straight the end-game. I hope the game sells well and From will be given a little more time to cook the next title.

Bring on the Bat.

as long as from is given the proper timeframe and namco is not handling the publishing

soloscout said:
In regards to pyro spell damage and intel not influencing the output: has anyone found the Izalith Catalyst? I'm wondering if that could be one way to get pyro to scale with intelligence. Can anyone confirm?

How would this work? Catalysts are for sorcery.

Beats

Mindlog said:
Behold, your new
Dark Lord
of Jolly Co-operation.

Bring on the Bat.

Yeah, this game could have used at least a few months more to iron out the wrinkles.

just beat the catacombs. was really, really good. perhaps my favorite level so far. died only once, to those damn rolling wheel skeletons (lolwtf). was invaded twice too which was fun! and dropping through the floor and getting hit instantly by that Darkwraith leaving me with almost zero HP, holy shit that was intense.

killed the boss at the exact same moment he killed me :O was an easy fight but i had 0 estus. i hope i didnt miss out on anything dying like that.. got Rite of Kindling so i guess that was all you get from it? no boss soul or anything?

and btw, i never say this about games but i wish Dark Souls had more cutscenes. like the
skelly blacksmith
cutscene, that was awesome and so unexpected. i want more weird creepy cutscenes!

Kalnos

Banned
astroturfing said:
killed the boss at the exact same moment he killed me :O was an easy fight but i had 0 estus. i hope i didnt miss out on anything dying like that.. got Rite of Kindling so i guess that was all you get from it? no boss soul or anything?

He drops a random mask, but you can farm them later. Be advised though, that there is another area behind where he was.

Varna

Hunting the guilty is pretty damn fun.

Hilarious when people try to hide from me. Crystal Soulmass hunts down those guys. :)

Dresden

Odrion said:
I'm a little torn between two items and what to use my blue titanite slab on.

I have an enchanted falchion +4, and an enchanted battleaxe. The falchion will have an A in intellect scaling if it becomes +5, the battleaxe will only have a B ranking (but still blue, so it's a better B...?)

I'm tempted to go falchion, but from the description it says it's weak against armor and enemies with thick scales (might just be how it plays though, I don't know if there's any real damage reduction.) And I like the feel of the battleaxe.
Just use what you want. That said I have a Falchion +5 and found it pretty lackluster overall; switched to a enchanted great scythe +5 and am much more satisfied.

Zzoram

Oracle Dragon said:

Invasion failed...
Invasion failed...
Invasion failed...

I don't mind the "Invasion failed..."

I just don't like how they show it to me THREE TIMES for ONE FAILURE.

astroturfing said:
and btw, i never say this about games but i wish Dark Souls had more cutscenes. like the
skelly blacksmith
cutscene, that was awesome and so unexpected. i want more weird creepy cutscenes!

indeed, that one was marvelous.
you go down the deepest ratholes, drop down secret passageways andWTF A SKELETAL BLACKSMITH IS TALKING TO ME.

thes games are so mute, so this was an extra surprise to me.

Zzoram

Giard said:
Ffffuuu. Killed
Ornstein before Smough, but I wanted Ornstein's armor.
Do I have to wait 'till NG+?

Yes. At least you can now buy Smough's armor. It's funny for PvP to roleplay him.

Oracle Dragon said:

Invasion failed...
Invasion failed...
Invasion failed...

yes, the orb needed to be a permanent effect, like the darkmoon ring.

Dresden

soloscout said:
It's just a regular catalyst.

Beats said:
Yeah, this game could have used at least a few months more to iron out the wrinkles.

At least it isn't as buggy as Skyrim's launch will probably be. Not to start anything but Bethesda doesn't have the best track record as of late, haha. From should be given a little leniency this time around as long as patch 1.04 comes out soon and the next game gets more dev time, then i'll be happy : )

Dresden

alske said:
Any recommendations on how I should upgrade the katanas? I think I have both the iaito and the uchigatana.
If you can use both, I'd just go Normal +15 for the Iaito and Fire +10 for the Uchi, unless you're sure that you can get two titanite slabs. That said if you can grab the Washing Pole that's the perfect katana for elemental upgrades.

Also I have no idea why but I just used a red slab on a Fire +10 Mail Breaker. It's terrible.

ShaneB

Alright, my hate for Sen's Fortress earlier is now unwarranted, like any area just takes some practice :) Got the shortcut figured out and I'm all set up to tackle the boss my next session.

Doubt there's any question this will be my GOTY. Sure it's obtuse and can be completely mind numbing, but that sense of progression in this is such a great feeling.

noonche

Dresden said:
If you can use both, I'd just go Normal +15 for the Iaito and Fire +10 for the Uchi, unless you're sure that you can get two titanite slabs. That said if you can grab the Washing Pole that's the perfect katana for elemental upgrades.

Also I have no idea why but I just used a red slab on a Fire +10 Mail Breaker. It's terrible.

Two regular titanite slabs? I have those.

Where do you get the Washing Pole?

Jonsoncao

Banned
zsswimmer said:
I got summoned to help someone just so they could have their friend invade and 1 shot me with pyromancy. Lame.
black knight shield = 95% fire dmg reduction
Quick switch to that when u see a pyro user.

alske said:
Guess I'll have to do that in NG+ since I already left that covenant.
You could always rejoin.

scy

NG+ for the sole purpose of making sure I
kill Kirk all three times
. Miss the Demon Ruins one again.

Goddamnit.

zsswimmer

Jonsoncao said:
black knight shield = 95% fire dmg reduction
Quick switch to that when u see a pyro user.

You could always rejoin.
His invading partner was wearing that ring that makes you slightly invisible, didn't see it until it was too late. He tried summoning me again but I just ran off the bridge lol

soldat7

bigjimmystyle said:
Why do you need to farm humanity? Serious question
When I say "pump humanity", I mean to eat all my acquired humanity bits to increase my item drop rate. I haven't had to farm humanity too much, fortunately.

Hung around Sen's helping people defeat
Iron Golem
. Love that fight for some reason.

cj_iwakura said:
You'd think they'd edit out the awesome artbook that doesn't exist by now.

I went to gamestop to get the game, it was about a week post release.. they asked if I wanted the collector edition for the same price. Sure!

The art book is cool. I still need to go through all the digital download stuff.

SL80, 80 hrs so far, OG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom