• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xanathus

Septimius said:
Do what I did. Two hand that thing, and add one point in DEX. Helps out massively to beat everything up to Quelaag.
I'm doing an SL1 run, no levelling allowed. It looks like my only choice is a +5 axe.

johntown

Banned
Septimius said:
TWoP is the single biggest pile of garbage in this game. If you think it is a viable way to deal with anything, you're one of the people I warp away from when I invade. Fog ring is not that bad. Fog ring + TWoP is hilariously stupid. Fog ring + TWoP + fireballs from just out of reach - epic stupidity.

TWoP + Crystal Soul Spear. TWoP + anything that doesn't require you to be within melee range. Those are the reasons why it should just be deleted from the game.

There was an equivalent to Fog's Ring in Demon's Souls, and that wasn't OP, nor useless. It was mighty useful in PvE, and great for sneaking around in PvP. That's what this should do, too. It doesn't need any range reduction.
So TWOP is bad but fog ring is not that bad?

I agree with using TWOP and the fog ring and magic etc. People like that will be gone from PVP once that patch comes out because they have no PVP skills to begin with so I agree with you there.

I use TWOP but that is because I am a magic user. Yeah they can limit the range a little bit but too much and it will make the miracle useless.

frequency

Defuser said:
So what are the known giltches so far?

We got:

Soul Dupe
Crow trade dupe
Magic shield no damage

Anymore?
Wait what...? There's a crow trade? Is that what the empty chest near where
Frampt
appears is for?

scy

Don't know why TWOP doesn't just serve as a means to jack up Equip Burden on those in range (and/or circumventing Grain Ring, depending on how you feel on that). Slight movement hit but primarily an evasion penalty as you tumble instead of roll/ninjaflip.

scy

frequency said:
Frampt
appears is for?

No, you return to the Asylum and head off to the left before entering; there's a nest out there and Snuggly speaks to you about wanting stuff. Give her one of the mosses and you get a Twinkling Titanite in return (two for the Toxic curing moss).

The glitch is that you can drop an item, reload your game, drop the item again, and then pick up your reward. This essentially sets Snuggly into thinking that you just dropped the item for the trade so you can reload the game, drop the item again, and then pick up your reward. Repeat infinitely. When you wish to end things, reload your game, drop the item, pick up the reward, and then pick up the item.

Edit: Applies to all items you can trade with her, though the only notable infinitely repeated ones are the Moss for Twinkling Titanite, Prism Stones for Demon Titanite, and Egg Vermifuge for Dragon Scales.

johntown

Banned
scosher said:
TWoP - big range AoE slow. If you combine it with sorceries or pyromancies, your opponent can just hurl fire orbs or soul spears/crystal soulmass and you CANNOT dodge. You can't even roll away cause TWoP prevents that. It's basically a cheese win tactic without any real counters.
So how can a sorcerer with no armor beat a melee build?

frequency

Lord_Nergal said:
scy said:
No, you return to the Asylum and head off to the left before entering; there's a nest out there and Snuggly speaks to you about wanting stuff. Give her one of the mosses and you get a Twinkling Titanite in return (two for the Toxic curing moss).

The glitch is that you can drop an item, reload your game, drop the item again, and then pick up your reward. This essentially sets Snuggly into thinking that you just dropped the item for the trade so you can reload the game, drop the item again, and then pick up your reward. Repeat infinitely. When you wish to end things, reload your game, drop the item, pick up the reward, and then pick up the item.

Edit: Applies to all items you can trade with her, though the only notable infinitely repeated ones are the Moss for Twinkling Titanite, Prism Stones for Demon Titanite, and Egg Vermifuge for Dragon Scales.
Thank you!
I'm nearing the end of NG+ and I didn't even know you could return to the Asylum. I'm dumb :(

scosher

johntown said:

I agree with using TWOP and the fog ring and magic etc. People like that will be gone from PVP once that patch comes out because they have no PVP skills to begin with so I agree with you there.

I use TWOP but that is because I am a magic user. Yeah they can limit the range a little bit but too much and it will make the miracle useless.

No, the range isn't the only problem. The movement speed penalty is too severe, but more significantly, you can't even roll. Not even just a heavy tumble, you just stand there as if out of breath. They should change TWoP so that if you're a light armor class (<25% burden), it would hardly affect you, and at most, change your rolls into the <50% class. If you're a heavy armor class at <50% equip burden, TWoP should merely change your rolls into tumbles.

You don't even need the fog ring. TWoP + Homing Soulmass is a ridiculously deadly combo that takes care of fog ring users as well.

frequency said:
Frampt
appears is for?

No, that's what the small birds nest on the cliff at undead asylum is for. It's just like trading with the crow in 4-1 in Demon's Souls.

def sim

johntown said:

Melee as well? Riposte and dodge if you have can, use the threat of homing soul mass to land some hits with a wide range elemental weapon.

johntown

Banned
scosher said:
No, the range isn't the only problem. The movement speed penalty is too severe, but more significantly, you can't even roll. Not even just a heavy tumble, you just stand there as if out of breath. They should change TWoP so that if you're a light armor class (<25% burden), it would hardly affect you, and at most, change your rolls into the <50% class. If you're a heavy armor class at <50% equip burden, TWoP should merely change your rolls into tumbles.

You don't even need the fog ring. TWoP + Homing Soulmass is a ridiculously deadly combo that takes care of fog ring users as well.
I have no issue with that and what you suggest is a great idea.

scosher

johntown said:

Nothing stops a sorcerer from using heavy armor or melee as well. In fact, a spellsword melee build is more versatile than a dex or str build, since they have access to magics as well.

maomaoIYP

johntown said:

I'm playing a Sorcerer now. I've only lost once to a melee build. Most fights end after I cast my first spell.

Are you playing a faith build or an intelligence build?

johntown

Banned
rance said:
Melee as well? Riposte and dodge if you have can, use the threat of homing soul mass to land some hits with a wide range elemental weapon.
Yeah never really liked or done any riposte or parrying. I am not too concerned though.

I actually hope they nerf all the cheap stuff then I will not need to take up an attunement slots with it. I will just go back to my same DES PVP strategy.

Strange, Laurentius (Pyromancer Trainer) has left camp. I swear he disappeared before I talked to Quelaag. Is that possible? Is Egghead his replacement in this case?

Deadstar

Ryu bogard said:
Wow what a terrible day my ps3 started locking up every time I loaded my dark souls save file. And now my 100hrs save file has been corrupted. I have yet to even finish my first play through :(

You don't have PS+? It automatically backs up your save files.

Defuser

Quote said:
Strange, Laurentius (Pyromancer Trainer) has left camp. I swear he disappeared before I talked to Quelaag. Is that possible? Is Egg head his replacement in this case?
Eingyi only sells you 2 spells which is poison and toxic but he is able to upgrade your flame.

Defuser said:
Eingyi only sells you 2 spells which is poison and toxic but he is able to upgrade your flame.
Maaaan, I don't remember telling the Pyro trainer anything and I haven't encountered him in the swap either. I guess I'll search there again tonight.

johntown

Banned
scosher said:
Nothing stops a sorcerer from using heavy armor or melee as well. In fact, a spellsword melee build is more versatile than a dex or str build, since they have access to magics as well.
Lol I don't think I have ever seen someone wearing Havel's Armor cast soul arrow or a fireball at me.

V_Arnold

Augemitbutter said:
anybody else never upgrade bonfires past +10? never really needed more than 10 flasks in all my playthroughs...

Of course I did. A lot.
I needed it when I was going to new places (needing them now in the venture of Catacombs ->Tomb of Giants run, all down from Firelink Shrine).

johntown

Banned
maomaoIYP said:
I'm playing a Sorcerer now. I've only lost once to a melee build. Most fights end after I cast my first spell.

Are you playing a faith build or an intelligence build?
Intelligence

VIT 14
END 14
ATT 15 or 16
STR 24
DEX 25
RES 10
INT 50
FAI 20

Yes for PVP I use a Magic Uchigatana+9 and the ring but I don't wear the dusk crown because I don't like how it looks. I wear Logan's Hat.

Deadstar

Augemitbutter said:
anybody else never upgrade bonfires past +10? never really needed more than 10 flasks in all my playthroughs...

I kindled the firelink bonfire to +20 a few days ago to see if it could go that high. I'm not sure if that is the max or not. +10 seemed to be a good balance for all areas in the game though.

tokkun

johntown said:

Yes. Fog Ring is cheap, but can still be defeated. I have beaten plenty of people who were using the Fog Ring with no other exploit.

TWOP is on a whole different level of cheapness. It it practically an instant kill to get caught in it unless the other player is completely incompetent and the range is huge. I've had TWOP users invade and take out co-op groups of 3 easily.

johntown said:

Isn't it enough that actually connecting with a Crystal Soul Spear is a one-hit kill against most players?

And why can't a sorcerer wear armor?

scy

johntown said:
Lol I don't think I have ever seen someone wearing Havel's Armor cast soul arrow or a fireball at me.

I don't think I've seen anything but; it's arguably the best build besides Elemental weapons. Enchanted has the best single stat scaling and you get full access to all Sorceries (namely, Crystal Soulmass).

johntown

Banned
tokkun said:
Yes. Fog Ring is cheap, but can still be defeated. I have beaten plenty of people who were using the Fog Ring with no other exploit.

TWOP is on a whole different level of cheapness. It it practically an instant kill to get caught in it unless the other player is completely incompetent and the range is huge. I've had TWOP users invade and take out co-op groups of 3 easily.

Isn't it enough that actually connecting with a Crystal Soul Spear is a one-hit kill against most players?

And why can't a sorcerer wear armor?
TWOP users can be beat fairly easily as well. If they use it on you then you use it right back on them.

Yes but connecting is not that easy on someone who actually has some skill in PVP. What about strength builds that can one shot me if they time their shots correctly? It is the same with homing crystal......unless you use TWOP :p

EDIT: They can wear armor but usually most of them do not. I can deal with the PVP in game no matter what they do to it. Nothing will stop me from playing it because I will adapt to whatever is thrown at me.

Augemitbutter said:

I did some of them to +20 in my first playthrough, but now in NG+ Just barely need more than 5...

maomaoIYP

johntown said:
Intelligence

VIT 14
END 14
ATT 15 or 16
STR 24
DEX 25
RES 10
INT 50
FAI 20

Yes for PVP I use a Magic Uchigatana+9 and the ring but I don't wear the dusk crown because I don't like how it looks. I wear Logan's Hat.

You're about SL 90? My build is very different.

VIT 21
ATT 23
END 11
STR 9
DEX 12
RES 8
INT 50
FAI 8

Heater shield +15, Logan's catalyst, enchanted bandit's knife +5
Encumbrance is <25%. I go for the dodge and casting spells out of their melee range. It works great, I've stomped 2v1 and 3v1 situations. Fights seldom last more than 30s.

sleepykyo

johntown said:
TWOP users can be beat fairly easily as well. If they use it on you then you use it right back on them.

Yes but connecting is not that easy on someone who actually has some skill in PVP. What about strength builds that can one shot me if they time their shots correctly? It is the same with homing crystal......unless you use TWOP :p

I liked how you're not addressing the fact that it's a free backstab on the opponent unless they have a wide sweeping knockdown attack. Or how you can cast the spells before the engagement begins. Or hide between a wall and then cast TWOP.

Wrath of God behind the wall? It's fine, I can roll away or even if I don't 300-400 and knockdown. TWOP behind the wall? It's already over.

edit:
STR 24
DEX 25

Seems a little excessive for a magic user.

Sarcasm said:
How can one obtain this in a fastly matter? To do the glitch.
Septimius said:
Which they are patching out.

Did I misread the notes? I didn't see mention of the infinite soul glitch. I guess I could see it going either way in terms of being patched out or not.

Edit:

To elaborate; if they completely fix invasion levels, I don't think the glitch hurts anyone. And it potentially could keep people interested in the game for much longer after they've beaten it several times (easier to try new builds for pvp at any level they want). I guess it could be argued that it makes it too easy to upgrade, especially if they are adding many of the materials to the buy list of the Giant blacksmith. But I think in a way it levels the playing field between people who are serious about pvp. In contrast stuff like magic shield exploit and tranquil walk directly effects gameplay, so I don't think there is much argument against them being patched.

scosher said:

I don't think homing soulmass is enough on it's own. I invaded someones world before and they were a fog ring user so I switched to Homing Crystal Soulmass since I knew it would hit him anyways. I hit him multiple times and it only brought him down to 1/2 maybe 1/3. The cast time + charge time for Homing Crystal Soulmass is so slow he was able to chug Estus in between while he just stood there laughing. I can't even interrupt his Estus chugging if he is in heavy armor. I'm only on NG+ and with 2 stacks of the spell (50 int) he had more Estus than I had spells Homing Crystal Soulmass spells :( Once I was out he was terrible to hit while wearing the fog ring.

MrWisker

Regarding the upcoming patch (which appears to be fixing a lot of issues with the game). Does anyone know if the patch will allow the use of exisitng builds or once the patch is applied will we have to create new character?
Thanks.

Deadstar

sotodefonk said:
I did some of them to +20 in my first playthrough, but now in NG+ Just barely need more than 5...

Why is this? Isn't the game harder on N+? Right now I'm around soul level 76 and I'm afraid to move forward into NG+.

Xanathus

MrWisker said:
Regarding the upcoming patch (which appears to be fixing a lot of issues with the game). Does anyone know if the patch will allow the use of exisitng builds or once the patch is applied will we have to create new character?
Thanks.
You can use existing characters. If you delete the patch, characters created after the patch will not be loadable.

MomoPufflet said:
Did I misread the notes? I didn't see mention of the infinite soul glitch. I guess I could see it going either way in terms of being patched out or not.

Edit:

To elaborate; if they completely fix invasion levels, I don't think the glitch hurts anyone. And it potentially could keep people interested in the game for much longer after they've beaten it several times (easier to try new builds for pvp at any level they want). I guess it could be argued that it makes it too easy to upgrade, especially if they are adding many of the materials to the buy list of the Giant blacksmith. But I think in a way it levels the playing field.

TBH I really don't care if the soul glitch is patched out or not, it doesn't have much impact at all. Your SL really doesn't mean much in terms of PvP, and most PvP won't put everything to 99 anyways since it limits too much the number of people you can invade... PvP'ers want less soul level not more (in general). The item upgrades are so cheap that if you glitch to get them you aren't getting anything I couldn't do with 20 minutes of forest farming anyways.

The crow dupe should be fixed since it makes twinkling too easy to get, but the soul glitch basically doesn't matter. It only hurts (IMO) PvP and I couldn't care less if someone did it to make their PvE game easier.

MrWisker

Deadstar said:
Why is this? Isn't the game harder on N+? Right now I'm around soul level 76 and I'm afraid to move forward into NG+.

The game is harder, but by the time you reach NG+ you are also a much better player and know the lay of the land very well.

frequency

Deadstar said:
I find NG+ to be way easier than first playthrough. You know what to do, where to go, what to expect, plus you have great weapons/spells. The enemies just seem to do more damage and have more health, but you barely get hit anyway and your stuff is so good they die in 1-2 hits so...

johntown

Banned
sleepykyo said:
I liked how you're not addressing the fact that it's a free backstab on the opponent unless they have a wide sweeping knockdown attack. Or how you can cast the spells before the engagement begins. Or hide between a wall and then cast TWOP.

Wrath of God behind the wall? It's fine, I can roll away or even if I don't 300-400 and knockdown. TWOP behind the wall? It's already over.

edit:
STR 24
DEX 25

Seems a little excessive for a magic user.
Wow it seems like you have ran into some PVP situations that have been very cheap. I honestly never really thought about anything like that. I already knew Strong Magic Shield and the fog ring were cheap but I really did not realize how cheap TWOP was until I started reading all these replies.

The STR and DEX is because I started out melee for my first run but after Anor Londo I focused on magic. It also lets me use a wider variety of weapons. If I could de-level my STR would go down. BTW my starting class was a thief.

Deadstar

frequency said:
I find NG+ to be way easier than first playthrough. You know what to do, where to go, what to expect, plus you have great weapons/spells. The enemies just seem to do more damage and have more health, but you barely get hit anyway and your stuff is so good they die in 1-2 hits so...

I have a faith build and I use pyromancy but I haven't found that many useful miracles to use. I recently started using the force miracle and the upgraded version and of course the heal but I wish there was another useful miracle.

ixix said:
Setting Gwyndolin aside for a moment, what bad things did Gwyn ever do? He clearly knew kindling the flame was going to kill him and he did it anyway. There's also zero evidence within the game that he was considered to be anything other than a completely stand-up guy. Even Kaathe, who pretty obviously hates his guts, can't muster any criticism for him more harsh than saying that he sacrificed himself to defy nature.

Now you can join the real party. The massive blocks of spoiler tags party. It's where all the cool kids hang out.
Whether Gwyn knew linking the fire would kill him or not is debatable. He brought half of his knights along with him to link the fire and put them directly in harms way, killing them. That doesn't seem like something he would do if he knew linking the fire was going to consume him and everything around him, assuming he's not a dick.

Risk Breaker said:
Wow the patch notes really sounds awesome from what I understand.

Any idea of ETA for EU/XB360 version? Is it tomorrow as well?

Sorry for repeating myself, but I haven't read anything about this yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom