• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minamu

Right, I've been using the fang boar helmet (now +5) since the moment I got it. Feels a bit weird sticking to the same equipment for almost 80 levels. What's better?

sleepykyo

johntown said:
If I could de-level my STR would go down. BTW my starting class was a thief.

Oh, de-leveling sounds so good. Seriously, with all my builds I kept leveling to try so and so equipment or so and so spell only to find it really wasn't worth it.

BeeDog

Minamu said:
Right, I've been using the fang boar helmet (now +5) since the moment I got it. Feels a bit weird sticking to the same equipment for almost 80 levels. What's better?

Surprised you have been using it that much, since it sucks. Go for the Elite Knight set/helmet, much better when upgraded.

johntown

Banned
maomaoIYP said:
You're about SL 90? My build is very different.

VIT 21
ATT 23
END 11
STR 9
DEX 12
RES 8
INT 50
FAI 8

Heater shield +15, Logan's catalyst, enchanted bandit's knife +5
Encumbrance is <25%. I go for the dodge and casting spells out of their melee range. It works great, I've stomped 2v1 and 3v1 situations. Fights seldom last more than 30s.
Yeah right around SL90. I started out as a thief and was going to do a melee build because I did not like how they changed magic from DES. After Anor Londo I switched back to being a magic user.

I use the Crest Shield+5 and Beatrice Catalyst (will be switching to Logan's). I have an Enchanted Falchion+5 but I prefer the katana for PVP because of the bleeding effect.

theta11

Oracle Dragon said:
I don't think homing soulmass is enough on it's own. I invaded someones world before and they were a fog ring user so I switched to Homing Crystal Soulmass since I knew it would hit him anyways. I hit him multiple times and it only brought him down to 1/2 maybe 1/3. The cast time + charge time for Homing Crystal Soulmass is so slow he was able to chug Estus in between while he just stood there laughing. I can't even interrupt his Estus chugging if he is in heavy armor. I'm only on NG+ and with 2 stacks of the spell (50 int) he had more Estus than I had spells Homing Crystal Soulmass spells :( Once I was out he was terrible to hit while wearing the fog ring.

There's an item that stops Estus use. Don't invade without it.

Mortrialus said:
Whether Gwyn knew linking the fire would kill him or not is debatable. He brought half of his knights along with him to link the fire and put them directly in harms way, killing them. That doesn't seem like something he would do if he knew linking the fire was going to consume him and everything around him, assuming he's not a dick.

Maybe it's just my prejudice based on his appearance and lack of dialogue, but I can't shake the feeling that there is something sinister about Gwyn. I guess when I look at it objectively it could be argued either way, but I can't shake the feeling that he was intended on some level to be bad. Maybe they just designed him that way to intentionally create that tension.

theta11

Mortrialus said:
Whether Gwyn knew linking the fire would kill him or not is debatable. He brought half of his knights along with him to link the fire and put them directly in harms way, killing them. That doesn't seem like something he would do if he knew linking the fire was going to consume him and everything around him, assuming he's not a dick.

Why would he leave fragments of his lord soul with various people if he knew he was going to return. He's probably a dick. XD

Ken

MomoPufflet said:
Maybe it's just my prejudice based on his appearance and lack of dialogue, but I can't shake the feeling that there is something sinister about Gwyn. I guess when I look at it objectively it could be argued either way, but I can't shake the feeling that he was intended on some level to be bad. Maybe they just designed him that way to intentionally create that tension.
Too bad we don't get a Black Knight to hang out at Firelink Shrine. Would be cool to get more info on Gwynn and the Black Knights.

theta11 said:
Why would he leave fragments of his lord soul with various people if he knew he was going to return. He's probably a dick. XD

He could of assumed that he
wouldn't be coming back, but he probably didn't know that he would cause the Kiln to explode, or that his soul would drive Seath and the Kings batty. I imagine soul bequeathing wasn't a very well-known field back then.

Ken- Technically, it'd have to be a
Silver knight, as the Black knights are long since dead and are just animated suits of armor.

Oracle Dragon said:
TBH I really don't care if the soul glitch is patched out or not ... the soul glitch basically doesn't matter. It only hurts (IMO) PvP and I couldn't care less if someone did it to make their PvE game easier.

I don't even think it matters for pvp either.

If I summon someone to help me, I don't give a fuck if they soul glitched; I care if they help me. If someone invades me, well, they're evil to begin with: they're there in the first place to STEAL my souls, after all. It's perfectly in accordance with the gameworld's morality for invaders to be cheesing, cheap, asshole griefers. And bottom line is that if they're within my level-range, how they got there is immaterial to me.

And personally I'm not even convinced it's a "glitch" in the traditional sense; I see no difference between soul duping in this game and the 1UP "glitch" on the stairs in the original Super Mario Bros. For all I know FROM put it in there intentionally.

Booshka

Thagomizer said:
My character's stuck on a ledge that's literally 4 inches high.

Pick your feet up you lazy fuck
I was co-oping with a friend last night and he got jammed into a corner in-between a post and a wall. He was blocking one of those big club wielding dudes of Blighttown when he got smushed back into the spot and was stuck. Had to leave the game, and re-summon him lol.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
So here I am.... and suddenly facing a demon gargoyle or whatever. Almost beating it. Second one comes up alive. Fuck my life.

Ken said:
Too bad we don't get a Black Knight to hang out at Firelink Shrine. Would be cool to get more info on Gwynn and the Black Knights.

That definitely would have been interesting. I guess they were really pushing for moral ambiguity for his part in the whole thing.

MomoPufflet said:
That definitely would have been interesting. I guess they were really pushing for moral ambiguity for his part in the whole thing.

While I appreciate the way the lore is quietly built up, the moral dilemmas were more vague than ambiguous.

Thagomizer said:
Silver knight, as the Black knights are long since dead and are just animated suits of armor.

What they could have done is have one of the two unaccounted Four Knights show up and reveal stuff about Gwyn, or perhaps
Astorias given that he defected from Gwyn to join the Darkwraiths.

Thagomizer said:
My character's stuck on a ledge that's literally 4 inches high.

Pick your feet up you lazy fuck

Climbing out of the great hollow, right? That was the worst pathing/collision bug I'd seen and I did some sort of blind faith walk on air/roll to get over it.

Solal said:
What do you call TWOP please? I can't find the explanation anywhere....

Tranquil Walk of Peace -- it's a miracle that causes slow movement and the inability to roll (does not affect melee swing speed, etc.)

Ken

Thagomizer said:
He could of assumed that he
wouldn't be coming back, but he probably didn't know that he would cause the Kiln to explode, or that his soul would drive Seath and the Kings batty. I imagine soul bequeathing wasn't a very well-known field back then.

Aren't the Black Knights you encounter in game the ones that were destroyed by the rekindling of the First Flame and are just suits of armor and the cursed spirit of the knight? A surviving Black Knight could be one that chickened out and hid in Firelink or something, and didn't get destroyed by the Fire. Of course, whether or not Black Knights were once capable of human emotions is another matter.

MomoPufflet said:

He does appear Zeus-like in a way which might lend to the impression of him being fallible like his ancient Greek counterpart (that and he hurls lightning). The tone of the music that plays during the battle refutes in a sense. If the designers intended for the battle to feel like you were taking down 'big bad dude™' something loud and bombastic would have played. The game has a habit of telling you when it is that you should feel bad about fighting someone. Gwyndolin and Priscilla in particular.

Deadstar

Are there certain weapons that only drop if you cut off the tail? I might try for the all unique weapons trophy but I'm not sure if it's too late. I only have a few bosses left and I'm very late in the game. Anyone have trouble with this trophy?

xero273

Risk Breaker said:
Sorry for repeating myself, but I haven't read anything about this yet.

don't think anyone has the answer for this. The only thing we know so far is the japanese version will be getting the patch. All other region, it depends on how fast it gets through the Sony/MS certification process.

johntown

Banned
Deadstar said:
Are there certain weapons that only drop if you cut off the tail? I might try for the all unique weapons trophy but I'm not sure if it's too late. I only have a few bosses left and I'm very late in the game. Anyone have trouble with this trophy?
It is never too late because you have NG+, NG++ etc and to get that trophy you need to at least go through the game 3 times.

EDIT: Yes only certain bosses drop unique weapons from their tails.

Giard

Can someone tell me where I should go now?
I just got the Lordvessel, and beat Pinwheel and the Catacombs. I could go to the Tomb of Giants from here but I can't see shit.

tokkun

johntown said:
TWOP users can be beat fairly easily as well. If they use it on you then you use it right back on them.

Yes but connecting is not that easy on someone who actually has some skill in PVP. What about strength builds that can one shot me if they time their shots correctly? It is the same with homing crystal......unless you use TWOP :p

EDIT: They can wear armor but usually most of them do not. I can deal with the PVP in game no matter what they do to it. Nothing will stop me from playing it because I will adapt to whatever is thrown at me.

So TWOP can only be beaten if you use the exact same spell on the other guy? Sounds like the definition of cheap. And how does it do any good for anyone who is not a sorcerer build, since the sorcerer can kill them before they get close enough to attack?

If you are upset about getting one-shotted my melee characters, it looks like your issue is that you sunk points into strength, dexterity, and faith and not into vitality. Melee is not that damaging unless you score a backstab with the hornet's ring and a ridiculously slow weapon.

sixghost

tokkun said:
So TWOP can only be beaten if you use the exact same spell on the other guy? Sounds like the definition of cheap. And how does it do any good for anyone who is not a sorcerer build, since the sorcerer can kill them before they get close enough to attack?

If you are upset about getting one-shotted my melee characters, it looks like your issue is that you sunk points into strength, dexterity, and faith and not into vitality. Melee is not that damaging unless you score a backstab with the hornet's ring and a ridiculously slow weapon.
Is Vow of Silence useful to stop this kind of stuff in PvP?

Xanathus

Another counter for TWoP is Iron Skin, but only if you're the host. Iron Skin lasts about the same amount of time as TWoP but since you can heal with Estus, you're essentially invulnerable for that period. Interestingly it looks like Iron Skin was intended to be the counter for TWoP because you can't use both of those at the same time.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Deadstar said:

Bell Gargoyle drops a Gargolye Axe, Gaping Dragon drops Dragon King Great Axe--which is awesome cuz it had a special shockwave attack when held with 2 hands and it does massive work on bosses if you can get it off. obliterated iron golem with it. but you need 50 strength to use it. think there's Stone Demon or something in Ash Lake also drops something but could be mistaken.

scy

tokkun said:

It also forces you to go Faith since TWoP has a Faith requirement of 18. "Just use it yourself" is kind of a terrible solution, though it's really the only viable option.

I'd be fine with TWoP as it exists if it was a two-slot 40+ Faith requirement spell. 18 Faith is splashable if you really must get it and it basically circumvents skill and strategy in any PvP situation.

Fog Ring is annoying to deal with but, whatever, it's not that bad at all. INT Casters have Homing spells, Faith builds have Wrath, and STR/DEX will need to learn how to hit a target they can't lock onto. TWoP doesn't have anything like that for a direct counter. If it's up, your ability to stay alive is basically reliant on how terrible the caster is.

sixghost said:
Is Vow of Silence useful to stop this kind of stuff in PvP?

Takes two slots, requires 30 Faith to use, and stops your own spells. Faith build uses Wrath and Force in fights so you're essentially gimping yourself. The duration is also pretty terrible.

Leunam

Is Pinwheel a joke? I don't know if he has some super powerful attack that destroys you in one hit because he died so damn quickly.

Ken said:
Aren't the Black Knights you encounter in game the ones that were destroyed by the rekindling of the First Flame and are just suits of armor and the cursed spirit of the knight? A surviving Black Knight could be one that chickened out and hid in Firelink or something, and didn't get destroyed by the Fire. Of course, whether or not Black Knights were once capable of human emotions is another matter.

The black knights are black knights because they go burned and their armor changed by the Kiln; otherwise they are just regular silver knights.

johntown

Banned
tokkun said:

If other people are going to be cheap then so am I. If I encounter a fog ring user I use TWOP, Strong Magic Shield and then Crystal Homing Soul Mass. Non fog ring users I will fight fair and now seeing how unfair TWOP is I will no longer use that unless someone tries to use it on me.

I am not upset and it is melee users with lighting weapons (which will apprently be fixed too) that take me out in one shot.

I am happy with my stats and have no real complaints. Like I said if I could change one it would be the STR.

Basically, they can leave PVP how it is and I am fine with that. They can change it however they want and I am fine with that. I enjoy the game enough that I will adapt and learn new strategy's. I will not complain about every little thing that I may think is unfair. I will find a counter to it and use it.

grendelrt

Leunam said:
Is Pinwheel a joke? I don't know if he has some super powerful attack that destroys you in one hit because he died so damn quickly.

Yeah i threw like 4 fireballs and killed him, my wife laughed and said "was that it". I think she is used to me cussing and throwing tantrums after fighting the brothers asshole in Londo.

xero273 said:
don't think anyone has the answer for this. The only thing we know so far is the japanese version will be getting the patch. All other region, it depends on how fast it gets through the Sony/MS certification process.

Ken

Thagomizer said:
The black knights are black knights because they go burned and their armor changed by the Kiln; otherwise they are just regular silver knights.
That I did not know. I always thought that Black Knights were a higher rank than Silver Knights and served under Gwynn. Makes sense though since it's only Silver Knights guarding AL.

vilmer_

BackdoorBeauty said:
I'm staying offline until I know for sure twinklies can be purchased from a blacksmith. Even if they're 20k a pop, I'd rather do it legit.

I ended up screwing that glitch up anyways and I'm kind of glad.

scy

johntown said:
I am not upset and it is melee users with lighting weapons (which will apprently be fixed too) that take me out in one shot.

Actually, idle curiosity ... anyone have a Lightning Claymore+5? I know 16 STR/14 DEX/50 INT Enchanted Claymore+5 is a 552 listed ATK which should be higher than the Lightning Claymore. Don't remember the Occult value off-hand but I believe it's 520-ish.

scosher

scy said:
Actually, idle curiosity ... anyone have a Lightning Claymore+5? I know 16 STR/14 DEX/50 INT Enchanted Claymore+5 is a 552 listed ATK which should be higher than the Lightning Claymore. Don't remember the Occult value off-hand but I believe it's 520-ish.

This site is awesome for general stats on weapons and also a class build calculator (but without an agreed upon SL cap for PvP, kinda pointless to plan out builds):

http://sites.google.com/site/darksoulstats/dark-souls-calculators/lightning

That table shows Lightning Claymore has 571 dmg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom