• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marbles

V_Arnold said:
It is a scripted event, which happens after ringing the second bell. Then, you will have to clean:

DO NOT use that Fire Keeper Soul for your own purposes. Go back to the shrine and go there to where the Fire Keeper was, that is important. Otherwise, you lose the Fire Keeper for that playthrough.

Damn, I figured I had messed up when i cashed that soul in for a flask upgrade. Can i use another Fire Soul to relight that bonfire?
No big lose if not (I hope), i've just been using the lift shortcut to get the Blacksmith bonfire.

johntown

Banned
one85x said:
Between the pillars? Once you get down from the rafters, drop down to landing in front of the statue.
The chest that is at the end of the rafters on the left side. If you jump to it you come up just short of it.

NEOPARADIGM said:
I don't even think it matters for pvp either.

If I summon someone to help me, I don't give a fuck if they soul glitched; I care if they help me. If someone invades me, well, they're evil to begin with: they're there in the first place to STEAL my souls, after all. It's perfectly in accordance with the gameworld's morality for invaders to be cheesing, cheap, asshole griefers. And bottom line is that if they're within my level-range, how they got there is immaterial to me.

And personally I'm not even convinced it's a "glitch" in the traditional sense; I see no difference between soul duping in this game and the 1UP "glitch" on the stairs in the original Super Mario Bros. For all I know FROM put it in there intentionally.

Sorry by "only hurts PvP" I mean its not in the best interest of the PvPer to do it. They crank their stats up way high, but then have no one to invade... so even if the glitch is still there most people into PvP won't use it.

linko9

deim0s said:
Where could I find the light-emanating helm in Izalith? I went in and defeated the boss already, never found it.

Expanding the post a bit:
I know I rescued Logan in Sens Fortress, never found him in the archives.

Random drop from the sunlight maggots. They are on either side of the
door you open with the chaos covenant. Also, you get one for killing Solaire in that same location, unless of course you save him by killing all the maggots if you first enter Izalith by using that shortcut door.

V_Arnold

Marbles said:
Damn, I figured I had messed up when i cashed that soul in for a flask upgrade. Can i use another Fire Soul to relight that bonfire?
No big lose if not (I hope), i've just been using the lift shortcut to get the Blacksmith bonfire.

I messed up just like you. I FELT that it was wrong, but sometimes I did not listen to my instincts. Guess what - we were wrong, haha :D

Anyway, you can still teleport TO inactive Bonfires, you just cant use them to rest, attune magic or even to teleport FROM. So it is still alright.

scy

linko9 said:
Random drop from the sunlight maggots. They are on either side of the
door you open with the chaos covenant. Also, you get one for killing Solaire in that same location, unless of course you save him by killing all the maggots if you first enter Izalith by using that shortcut door.

It's actually a guaranteed drop from the Red-eyed maggot. The regular ones do not drop it. The red-eyed one is only there the first time you go through the shortcut; if you go through Lost Izalith normally, then
Sunbro has the helmet

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Mortrialus said:
Whether Gwyn knew linking the fire would kill him or not is debatable. He brought half of his knights along with him to link the fire and put them directly in harms way, killing them. That doesn't seem like something he would do if he knew linking the fire was going to consume him and everything around him, assuming he's not a dick.

This is a fair point, but the Black Knights are noted for two things: being the guys who went with Gwyn to kindle the First Flame, and being the guys who fought the demons unleashed by the Witch of Izalith. These may not be entirely separate events. A hypothetical timeline, which I think doesn't contradict anything stated by the game:

1. The Witch of Izalith tries to copy the First Flame, fails, and gets consumed by the Flame of Chaos, loosing the demons on the world.
2. Gwyn, realizing something has to be done about this, divides his knights into two groups: one to come with him and one to remain in Anor Londo as guards.
3. Knowing that what he's doing is dangerous, Gwyn leaves his Lord Soul with Seath (who by all indications was still perfectly sane at this point) and the Four Kings (who are noted to have been considered very wise rulers at the time Gwyn gave them the Lord Soul piece).
4. He divides his power among his children, specifically leaving the power he is most known for -- the sunlight -- with his firstborn.
5. He leaves with his knights, taking only his sword with him, and they fight the demons.
-SCENE MISSING-
6. Gwyn and his remaining knights travel to the Kiln of the First Flame. Gwyn kindles it, the knights are reduced to living suits of armor, and the chain of events that results in the events of the game some thousand years later begins.

This is an extremely rough back-of-the-envelope supposition, but I think it's important to note that the Black Knights are known to have fought the demons before they ever got near the Kiln. It's also said that -- at least in the case of their shields -- it was the flames of the demons they fought, not the flame of the Kiln, that changed their equipment from silver to black.

MomoPufflet said:
Maybe it's just my prejudice based on his appearance and lack of dialogue, but I can't shake the feeling that there is something sinister about Gwyn. I guess when I look at it objectively it could be argued either way, but I can't shake the feeling that he was intended on some level to be bad. Maybe they just designed him that way to intentionally create that tension.

I agree. He seems obviously inspired by Zeus, who was a bit of a capricious douche. This was my initial evaluation of him as well. Going purely by the evidence presented by the game, though, there's very little indication that he shared Zeus' less endearing habits.

Thagomizer said:
Ken- Technically, it'd have to be a
Silver knight, as the Black knights are long since dead and are just animated suits of armor.

I think the description of the Black Knight shield indicates that by the time Gwyn linked the flame they were already Black Knights. Still human, but they weren't so shiny no more.

toasty_T said:
He does appear Zeus-like in a way which might lend to the impression of him being fallible like his ancient Greek counterpart (that and he hurls lightning). The tone of the music that plays during the battle refutes in a sense. If the designers intended for the battle to feel like you were taking down 'big bad dude™' something loud and bombastic would have played. The game has a habit of telling you when it is that you should feel bad about fighting someone. Gwyndolin and Priscilla in particular.

I like the note about the music. Anymore I feel that Gwyn is far more a tragic hero archetype than a capricious god archetype. I also think you're supposed to feel bad about killing Gwyndolin, and I think he's in need of some character resuscitation. He's disingenuous, yes, but evil or malicious? Not by a mile, I don't think. And I think that, given the circumstances, he can be forgiven for telling a fib or twenty.

Audioboxer

Awww Sens, fuck you. Even when I've been through you lots of times I still die. Just lost 23 humanity farmed from helping people with the depths boss.

Seriously hate the swinging blades/magic snakemen.

one85x

johntown said:
The chest that is at the end of the rafters on the left side. If you jump to it you come up just short of it.
I'm pretty sure we're talking about the same chest. If so, then you don't jump to it from the rafters, you jump to it from the landing in front of the statue of Gwynevere.

TommyT

Awww Sens, fuck you. Even when I've been through you lots of times I still die. Just lost 23 humanity farmed from helping people with the depths boss.

Tilt the camera 'up' as far as it will go (so you're looking from the top down) and it should help with judging the distance to a blade.

Or ya know... not suck at timing. ;D

Zzoram

Oracle Dragon said:
I don't think homing soulmass is enough on it's own. I invaded someones world before and they were a fog ring user so I switched to Homing Crystal Soulmass since I knew it would hit him anyways. I hit him multiple times and it only brought him down to 1/2 maybe 1/3. The cast time + charge time for Homing Crystal Soulmass is so slow he was able to chug Estus in between while he just stood there laughing. I can't even interrupt his Estus chugging if he is in heavy armor. I'm only on NG+ and with 2 stacks of the spell (50 int) he had more Estus than I had spells Homing Crystal Soulmass spells :( Once I was out he was terrible to hit while wearing the fog ring.

Sure you only had 20 Crystal Homing, why not use the other 40 normal Homing afterwards?

johntown

Banned
one85x said:
I'm pretty sure we're talking about the same chest. If so, then you don't jump to it from the rafters, you jump to it from the landing in front of the statue of Gwynevere.
Yeah I looked at a video and I see the landing you are talking about. I heard there was only a divine blessing in the chest too.

After having tested the backstab on the black knights in the Kiln, I can say that the range on that is ridiculous. Now I know how to deal with PvPers who insist on backstabbing.

johntown

Banned

There are two parts in this game that I hate. The last set of blades in Sen's Fortress and the second building full of ghosts in New Londo Ruins.

Dresden

Rolling sideways (or just not moving in a straight line to the caster) will make you just about impervious to homing spells... it only counters stupid people.

Dresden said:
Rolling sideways (or just not moving in a straight line to the caster) will make you just about impervious to homing spells... it only counters stupid people.

Yup, when I first started PVPing I had difficulty with that, not anymore thanks to GAF's tips.

vilmer_

I really hope 1.04 addresses the level matchmaking in pvp. I've noticed the +/- 10 soul level restrictions have been thrown out the window with invasions.

johntown

Banned
Dresden said:
That is why if they nerf the so called cheap spells you will need to lure people into narrow passages or places they cannot roll away and then use the spell on them.

deim0s

scy said:
It's actually a guaranteed drop from the Red-eyed maggot. The regular ones do not drop it. The red-eyed one is only there the first time you go through the shortcut; if you go through Lost Izalith normally, then
Sunbro has the helmet
Wait. I didn't go thru the Chaos covenant shortcut... Went thru via the dinos. Is the chaos covenant shortcut the one with the titanite demon on the walkway?

oh wow, had an incredible moment helping someone in the Catacombs...

we were fighting 2-3 skellies and it was pure chaos, and one of them fricking parried and riposted me! taking away all my health so i was a goner, BUT while i was in the death animation, the host healed me! and my character got up. i couldn't believe it, my health had reached 0, but i still survived :O amazing. and the camera was really close so it looked all dramatic and stuff. i was in awe.

gotta remember that in case a phantom helping me gets backstabbed or riposted, take an estus ASAP.

sleepykyo

vilmer_ said:
I really hope 1.04 addresses the level matchmaking in pvp. I've noticed the +/- 10 soul level restrictions have been thrown out the window with invasions.

I think that depends on the method of invasion. I think the Dragon One has no level restrictions, but already has the strongest restriction in the sense that the someone has to accept (I did by accident because I thought it was just a normal summon). Either way, it is really hard to what's soul level or just superior equipment and design.

That is why if they nerf the so called cheap spells you will need to lure people into narrow passages or places they cannot roll away and then use the spell on them.

In a narrow passage, 3-4 of the crystals would disappear from hitting the walls.

sixghost

sleepykyo said:
I think that depends on the method of invasion. I think the Dragon One has no level restrictions, but already has the strongest restriction in the sense that the someone has to accept (I did by accident because I thought it was just a normal summon). Either way, it is really hard to what's soul level or just superior equipment and design.

In a narrow passage, 3-4 of the crystals would disappear from hitting the walls.
Is Homing Crystal Mass the homing spell that the Moonlight Butterfly uses?

Beat the game earlier today, I was way overpowered with my Lightning Iaito +4 and Quelaags Fury Sword +3 + Bloodshield+10 and Gold hemmed black armor fully upgraded at soullevel 93. The last part of the game was disappointingly easy.

Other than that, it was one of the best expieriences I had with a videogame. Definitely going to play through it again in NG+, might also go after the platinum trophy.

The most disappointing fact, however, was that there was nothing that told me that I'm at the last boss and I won't be able to continue on this playthrough. I still had to visit Ashlake and Valley of the drakes and now I have to replay through the entire game to finally be able to do what I would've done in the first place.

Also, where can I find Havel's armor and the Ring of Fog everybody's talking about?

Zzoram

Thagomizer said:
which items can you sell to Frampt for the same price as purchased? I want to bank some souls

souls are so easy to come by it's not worth the effort

in NG+ the drakeroot forest farming area gives like 21,000 souls per trip

Zzoram said:
souls are so easy to come by it's not worth the effort

in NG+ the drakeroot forest farming area gives like 21,000 souls per trip

Could you skip the condescension and just answer the question? I'm on Sen's Fortess on my first playthough, so 40,000 souls is still a lot and I want to save up so I can do a bunch of stuff at once instead of farm -->buy-->farm--> buy.

scosher

Thagomizer said:
which items can you sell to Frampt for the same price as purchased? I want to bank some souls

Dung Pies can be bought for 200 from the female undead merchant and fed to Frampt for the same. Dunno of any others.

Note - you run the risk that the patch somehow changes this if this was unintended, leaving you sitting on a stack of 99 pieces of crap.

mattp

vodka-bull said:
Beat the game earlier today, I was way overpowered with my Lightning Iaito +4 and Quelaags Fury Sword +3 + Bloodshield+10 and Gold hemmed black armor fully upgraded at soullevel 93. The last part of the game was disappointingly easy.

Other than that, it was one of the best expieriences I had with a videogame. Definitely going to play through it again in NG+, might also go after the platinum trophy.

The most disappointing fact, however, was that there was nothing that told me that I'm at the last boss and I won't be able to continue on this playthrough. I still had to visit Ashlake and Valley of the drakes and now I have to replay through the entire game to finally be able to do what I would've done in the first place.

Also, where can I find Havel's armor and the Ring of Fog everybody's talking about?
havel's armor is in a bunch of chests in anor londo and you need to join the forest covenant and kill 3 people to get the fog ring

psykomyko

YES! I did it. I DEFEATED Dark Souls. What an incredible game this was. This will, without a doubt, end up going in my top five games of all time. Loved every second of this. (Except Lost Izalith :p)
Very few games have given me this amount of satisfaction from beating it.

astroturfing said:
gotta remember that in case a phantom helping me gets backstabbed or riposted, take an estus ASAP.

Especially if you're fighting some of the bosses with insanely damaging grabs, make sure if you see them get caught do it as early as possible.

If its in the middle of the animation though you generally can't save them, but early enough and its a life saver.

I'm talking to you Powered up Ornstein

Pejo

johntown said:
Yeah I looked at a video and I see the landing you are talking about. I heard there was only a divine blessing in the chest too.

I can confirm that's all that is in this chest. I spent a half hour trying to get to it, only to be severely disappointed.

Speaking of pain in the ass chests, anyone else drop down to the one on top of the bookshelf in the archives only to get killed by archers while actually OPENING the damn thing? I was SO pissed.

Zzoram

Pejo said:
I can confirm that's all that is in this chest. I spent a half hour trying to get to it, only to be severely disappointed.

Speaking of pain in the ass chests, anyone else drop down to the one on top of the bookshelf in the archives only to get killed by archers while actually OPENING the damn thing? I was SO pissed.

that chest contains the best crossbow

Zzoram

24FrameDaVinci said:
Where do I go from the second bonfire in the Catacombs? I constantly get overrun by Skellies...

there is a second bonfire?

haven't you killed all the necromancers by now? once you do, you only have to kill them once per bonfire instead of having them all constantly get back up

Dresden

Zzoram said:
there is a second bonfire?

haven't you killed all the necromancers by now? once you do, you only have to kill them once per bonfire instead of having them all constantly get back up
Behind a hidden wall.

sleepykyo

johntown said:
Use Crystal Soul Spear

Agreed, but I tend to find intelligence is probably the most well rounded damage stat right now.

Damage does actually scale with the stat. eg. Crystal version of spells [/b]and[/b] A scaling
Has mimic, hidden spells, repair and remedy (which really should be miracle instead)

Labadal

The fireling fire keeper seems to be dead. Am I screwed? (Pyromancer)
I got a black stone or something, but I can't use it.

ixix said:
This is a fair point, but the Black Knights are noted for two things: being the guys who went with Gwyn to kindle the First Flame, and being the guys who fought the demons unleashed by the Witch of Izalith. These may not be entirely separate events. A hypothetical timeline, which I think doesn't contradict anything stated by the game:

1. The Witch of Izalith tries to copy the First Flame, fails, and gets consumed by the Flame of Chaos, loosing the demons on the world.
2. Gwyn, realizing something has to be done about this, divides his knights into two groups: one to come with him and one to remain in Anor Londo as guards.
3. Knowing that what he's doing is dangerous, Gwyn leaves his Lord Soul with Seath (who by all indications was still perfectly sane at this point) and the Four Kings (who are noted to have been considered very wise rulers at the time Gwyn gave them the Lord Soul piece).
4. He divides his power among his children, specifically leaving the power he is most known for -- the sunlight -- with his firstborn.
5. He leaves with his knights, taking only his sword with him, and they fight the demons.
-SCENE MISSING-
6. Gwyn and his remaining knights travel to the Kiln of the First Flame. Gwyn kindles it, the knights are reduced to living suits of armor, and the chain of events that results in the events of the game some thousand years later begins.

This is an extremely rough back-of-the-envelope supposition, but I think it's important to note that the Black Knights are known to have fought the demons before they ever got near the Kiln. It's also said that -- at least in the case of their shields -- it was the flames of the demons they fought, not the flame of the Kiln, that changed their equipment from silver to black.

I agree. He seems obviously inspired by Zeus, who was a bit of a capricious douche. This was my initial evaluation of him as well. Going purely by the evidence presented by the game, though, there's very little indication that he shared Zeus' less endearing habits.

I think the description of the Black Knight shield indicates that by the time Gwyn linked the flame they were already Black Knights. Still human, but they weren't so shiny no more.

I like the note about the music. Anymore I feel that Gwyn is far more a tragic hero archetype than a capricious god archetype. I also think you're supposed to feel bad about killing Gwyndolin, and I think he's in need of some character resuscitation. He's disingenuous, yes, but evil or malicious? Not by a mile, I don't think. And I think that, given the circumstances, he can be forgiven for telling a fib or twenty.

Also, does the game explicitly state that Gwyn gave parts of his soul to the Four Kings and Seath specifically because he was leaving to kindle the fire? The impression I got was that he gave them to them as rewards for being loyal and useful, not because he was preparing for death.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom