• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Audioboxer

How do you reach this treasure in Anor Londo? Stumped me the first time I played through this section

IMG_20111101_205902.jpg

sixghost

Thagomizer said:
Could you skip the condescension and just answer the question? I'm on Sen's Fortess on my first playthough, so 40,000 souls is still a lot and I want to save up so I can do a bunch of stuff at once instead of farm -->buy-->farm--> buy.
lol what condescension? There's virtually no reason to be "storing souls" in some other form of currency. There's nothing in the game that costs more than 40,000 souls until you are level 80. The only thing you ever really need to save up for long term is absolution, and if you're doing that you should really just go knock it out in one 20-30 minute-ish farming session in the forest.

You're wasting your time trying to game the system like this, just spend it.
How do you reach this treasure in Anor Londo? Stumped me the first time I played through this section

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k46/gavdeeimages/IMG_20111101_205902.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
I don't know, but it would be hilarious if it was just a mimic over there.

Psy-Phi

IMG_20111101_205902.jpg
Drop down where the big tittied statue is (opposite side, where the ladder is). Roll from that platform to a aisle underneath the chest.

Nothing fantastic in that chest from what I recall, I was disappointed.

scosher

See that statue there in your screenshot? When you reach the rafters on the other side, you can drop onto the ledge with the statue. Then from there you can hop down between the archways to the other side, go up a set of stairs, and reach the chest.

It's nothing great.

Also - fuck those beams man. I remember my first playthrough I fell off with 20 humanity. Then on the corpse run, I forgot that there was first a lift down to the gargoyle bridge, and ran straight into the elevator drop.

Anyone have any tips for getting the Silver Knight Shield? I'm rolling with 99 Humanity and the Golden Serpent Ring and for the life of me can't get this thing to drop.

IMG_20111101_205902.jpg

Roll onto the statue platform to your right. Then you can roll into the open pillar area directly below the chest. You can look at the opposite site of the building for an example (Ie, turn around)- it is an identical configuration.

theta11

KoreanBarbecue said:
Anyone have any tips for getting the Silver Knight Shield? I'm rolling with 99 Humanity and the Golden Serpent Ring and for the life of me can't get this thing to drop.

No real tip but I kill the one in the room opposite to the bonfire and the one infront of the chests with Crystal Ring Shield. Kill those 4 downstairs and run back to the bonfire to reset. You can get 4 kills in less than a minute easily.

Zzoram

KoreanBarbecue said:

Just hang out at the 2nd bonfire in Anor Lando, the one inside a room, with the room across from it with a Silver Knight. Just farm that guy and the other 3 Knights on the same floor until you get lucky.

Speaking of divine blessing I would love it if you could buy an infinite amount from someone. They would be nice to use for healing in invasions as opposed to using up precious humanity.

sixghost

Zzoram said:
Just hang out at the 2nd bonfire in Anor Lando, the one inside a room, with the room across from it with a Silver Knight. Just farm that guy and the other 3 Knights on the same floor until you get lucky.
This is the best advice.

It really shouldn't take long at all as they all respawn and are extremely close to a bonfire.

tokkun

Zzoram said:
souls are so easy to come by it's not worth the effort

in NG+ the drakeroot forest farming area gives like 21,000 souls per trip

If the patch fixes co-op pairing, that will be a pretty effective way of making souls too.

In my first playthrough I ended up getting paired with someone in NG+ for Four Kings and got like 45K souls for a 2 minute fight.

GodlyPerfection said:
Speaking of divine blessing I would love it if you could buy an infinite amount from someone. They would be nice to use for healing in invasions as opposed to using up precious humanity.

Would rather if they just sold humanity in unlimited form. Even if it was 10K souls a pop.

GodlyPerfection said:

i found two in the shitty zone of izalith. search the lava on the right side from the entrance on. it's guarded by a few dinos obviously. you can also buy one at the church from
reah, after you saved her
. that's all i remember.

they're too powerful to be infinite though. you have your flasks.

Audioboxer

This was answered earlier, but I can't find it. After you kill the dragon on the bridge in the painted world, how do you get rid of the big mass behind it? Thanks

sleepykyo

Augemitbutter said:
i found two in the shitty zone of izalith. search the lava on the right side from the entrance on. it's guarded by a few dinos obviously. you can also buy one at the church from
reah, after you saved her
. that's all i remember.

they're too powerful to be infinite though. you have your flasks.

Not during an invasion you don't which was his point. I guess arguably if you're using the flask denial item, neither does the person being invaded.

Aselith

I was going to get a Scimitar upgraded to Queelag's Fury and three of those demons got on me so I ran into the blacksmiths room to fight them on the stairs and they killed the blacksmith. I hope they boost the shit out of physical weapons tomorrow!

Star_Trek_suicide.gif

Kyoufu

Aselith said:
I was going to get a Scimitar upgraded to Queelag's Fury and three of those demons got on me so I ran into the blacksmiths room to fight them on the stairs and they killed the blacksmith. I hope they boost the shit out of physical weapons tomorrow!

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/Aselith/Um no/Star_Trek_suicide.gif

Bwahahaha

I love Dark Souls.

This was answered earlier, but I can't find it. After you kill the dragon on the bridge in the painted world, how do you get rid of the big mass behind it? Thanks

I tried everything but nothing worked. Doesn't matter though.

sleepykyo said:
Not during an invasion you don't which was his point. I guess arguably if you're using the flask denial item, neither does the person being invaded.

it would be an overpowered item in any environment. it does more than just heal you. i think the humanity healing is bad enough as it is.

Aselith said:

Star_Trek_suicide.gif
Ouch.... I hope that doesn't happen to me! I'm raising my server to +10 now so I can do the same thing :/

As a side, with the serpent ring it is crazy easy to rack up the green/large titanite shards in blighttown.

Is there a respawning mob somewhere that drops titanite chunks?

Zzoram said:
Sure you only had 20 Crystal Homing, why not use the other 40 normal Homing afterwards?

Because I'm a PvP newb and didn't stock them. I went in with some sorcery, some pyro, and a few miracles not knowing what I would need.

I know many people love it but truthfully I detest PvP, I only need to do it enough to get 2 more souvenirs and then it is done :)

Vitten

Man, seems like the chicken hawkers are out in force tonight. Can't step outside in human form with my new guy for 2 minutes or some guy with maxed out gear comes in to one-shot my SL 15 ass.. Must be a self esteem issue I guess.

Vitten said:
Man, seems like the chicken hawkers are out in force tonight. Can't step outside in human form with my new guy for 2 minutes or some guy with maxed out gear comes in to one-shot my SL 15 ass.. Must be a self esteem issue I guess.
go buy some indictments

vilmer_

Vitten said:

I never got invaded once until I got to the forest. Whereabouts are the invasions happening?

vilmer_ said:
I never got invaded once until I got to the forest. Whereabouts are the invasions happening?
it seems like a lot of the low level invaders are targeting undead parish/burg and blighttown.

Imagine getting invaded on the way through blighttown from the depths :/

Talk about easy pickings.

theta11

Aselith said:

Star_Trek_suicide.gif

This almost happened to me, but luckily as soon as I noticed they were damaging him I quit game to reset their positions and refill his life.

Vitten

vilmer_ said:

The earlier levels, Parish, Depths ... I keep getting lots of love from guys running around with quelaag swords or lightening weapons.. Guess I'll just stick to hollow form since there's no real penalty anyway.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Mortrialus said:
Also, does the game explicitly state that Gwyn gave parts of his soul to the Four Kings and Seath specifically because he was leaving to kindle the fire? The impression I got was that he gave them to them as rewards for being loyal and useful, not because he was preparing for death.

It's never outright stated, it's my own interpretation based on the fact that the Great Lord's Greatsword says that it's the only thing Gwyn took with him when he left for the Kiln, that he is said to have divided his power between his children before he left, and that he gave the Lord Soul to Seath and the Four Kings. The whole sequence of events sounds like somebody who knows he's doomed putting his affairs in order before the end, and from that I surmise that Gwyn knew his days were numbered.

Other possibly important thing to note: it's never said precisely how Gwyn divided his Lord Soul. Seath definitely has a piece, the Four Kings definitely have a piece, but whether or not there were any other recipients of the Lord Soul and whether or not Gwyn kept any of it is unknown, though I do feel the phrasing on the Greatsword implies that he kept none of it for himself. It's not stated directly, however.

Maybe also important is that Gwyn is said to have divided his "power" amongst his children, as distinct from leaving any part of his Lord Soul with them. The fact that killing Gwyndolin doesn't net you a Bequeathed Lord Soul obviously supports this. And there's the fact that Seath is obviously considered to have been a smart guy dragon before the whole going crazy thing, and the Four Kings were considered wise and just at the time. It implies, I think, on some level that Gwyn knew that his children weren't the most reliable lot, and so left his Lord Soul with what he thought were the smartest guys in the room instead.

vilmer_

DigitalDevil said:
it seems like a lot of the low level invaders are targeting undead parish/burg and blighttown.

Imagine getting invaded on the way through blighttown from the depths :/

Talk about easy pickings.

I'm still not convinced that the invasion level disparity is where it should be as a whole. It's definitely different for each covenant. I invaded someone as a Darkwraith at SL70 and the other guy was level 120. Are these low level pvp'ers creating new characters and rushing through the game at low levels to obtain gear/covenant items? If that's the case, they shouldn't have the stats to wield most of the powerful items that are doing the one-shotting. Unless it's a bunch of Quelagg swords :p

sleepykyo

vilmer_ said:
I'm still not convinced that the invasion level disparity is where it should be as a whole. It's definitely different for each covenant. I invaded someone as a Darkwraith at SL70 and the other guy was level 120. Are these low level pvp'ers creating new characters and rushing through the game at low levels to obtain gear/covenant items? If that's the case, they shouldn't have the stats to wield most of the powerful items that are doing the one-shotting. Unless it's a bunch of Quelagg swords :p

Quelagg, Lightning Weapons, Pyromancy are all deadly at low SLs.

ixix said:
It's never outright stated, it's my own interpretation based on the fact that the Great Lord's Greatsword says that it's the only thing Gwyn took with him when he left for the Kiln, that he is said to have divided his power between his children before he left, and that he gave the Lord Soul to Seath and the Four Kings. The whole sequence of events sounds like somebody who knows he's doomed putting his affairs in order before the end, and from that I surmise that Gwyn knew his days were numbered.

Other possibly important thing to note: it's never said precisely how Gwyn divided his Lord Soul. Seath definitely has a piece, the Four Kings definitely have a piece, but whether or not there were any other recipients of the Lord Soul and whether or not Gwyn kept any of it is unknown, though I do feel the phrasing on the Greatsword implies that he kept none of it for himself. It's not stated directly, however.

Maybe also important is that Gwyn is said to have divided his "power" amongst his children, as distinct from leaving any part of his Lord Soul with them. The fact that killing Gwyndolin doesn't net you a Bequeathed Lord Soul obviously supports this. And there's the fact that Seath is obviously considered to have been a smart guy dragon before the whole going crazy thing, and the Four Kings were considered wise and just at the time. It implies, I think, on some level that Gwyn knew that his children weren't the most reliable lot, and so left his Lord Soul with what he thought were the smartest guys in the room instead.

Also, you don't go make a self sacrifice and take half of your standing army with you. This strikes me more as Gwyn being more concerned with getting to the Kiln than sacrificing himself. Obviously, some kind of obstacle between him and the Kiln had him very worried to bring that kind of man power, and could just as easily be the cause behind him wanting to get his affairs in order.

Kind of off topic but...

Gwyn went to the Kiln a thousand years before you, correct? Obviously he didn't have to kill all of the other lords to do it. Is this entire aspect of the quest a lie? Both Frampt and Kaathe make you do it? Why did he make it there without having to kill the other lords, but you do?

Aselith said:

Star_Trek_suicide.gif
You instantly jump for the power button when that happens.

Mortrialus said:
Also, you don't go make a self sacrifice and take half of your standing army with you. This strikes me more as Gwyn being more concerned with getting to the Kiln than sacrificing himself. Obviously, some kind of obstacle between him and the Kiln had him very worried to bring that kind of man power, and could just as easily be the cause behind him wanting to get his affairs in order.

Well, Kaathe can definitely reach the altar where you leave the Lordvessel, even trapped in the Abyss. High Darkwraith presence?

Xanathus

Update on my SL1 run, just killed
Ornstein & Smough
and
Gwyndolin
, time to take on the
Four Kings
. This is the part of the game that I hate the most, even more than Tomb of Giants. Maybe I should do
Crystal Butterfly
first with Beatrice so I can summon her for the
Four Kings
fight.

Thagomizer said:
Well, Kaathe can definitely reach the altar where you leave the Lordvessel, even trapped in the Abyss. High Darkwraith presence?

Possible, but I don't know likely that is. If there was a Darkwraith or two, or some of their paraphernalia, that might be believable. To our knowledge, the Darkwraiths were successfully trapped in New Londo. Also, do we know when the Darkwraiths came to prominence?

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Mortrialus said:

The game never says exactly how many knights he took with him; the immediate assumption is a 50/50 split, but the game never makes any commentary on how many went with him and how many stayed behind. It could have been half and half, he might have only taken a small group and left the bulk behind, or he could have taken virtually all of them and left only a token force behind.

There's also some potential ambiguity of specific identities of people he took with him. Of the Four Knights obviously Ornstein stayed behind, Artorias almost definitely stayed behind based on some very basic reasoning based on item descriptions, but it's not impossible that Gough and Ciaran went with him. Taking two of the four would lend credence to the idea that he took about half with him, but the game is, as always, damnably vague.

I'm not sure, for what it's worth, that the "Witch of Izalith trying to clone the First Flame and failing" and "Gwyn departing the link the First Flame" events are unrelated anymore. The Witch of Izalith may have been attempting to remove the need for somebody to sacrifice themselves to link the flame, failed, and so Gwyn had to do the deed himself after trying to clean up the mess that the Witch created in the attempt.

Oh my god! Finally! 10 Souvenirs of Reprisal! Is that it? Is it over? I don't need something dumb like 11 or 15 or 27 3/8th to get the Darkmoon Blade miracle?

Augemitbutter said:
yes, there is a chance.
The same chance exists when the game freezes and you don't have a choice but to do it :/

Thank god it hasn't happened to me yet, despite the game freezing twice so far. Once in anor londo, the other in the forest.

Minamu

BeeDog said:
Surprised you have been using it that much, since it sucks. Go for the Elite Knight set/helmet, much better when upgraded.
Really? :S Haven't really found myself in trouble because of it :) I'm a Bandit if it matters for that armor set. I have that reaper looking outfit otherwise. Got any good weapon recommendations? I have str 44 (aiming for 50) and dex 31.

Aselith

DigitalDevil said:
The same chance exists when the game freezes and you don't have a choice but to do it :/

Thank god it hasn't happened to me yet, despite the game freezing twice so far. Once in anor londo, the other in the forest.

But it's a chance that's outside your control vs. a chance you take by your own choice. I've never had the game freeze in like 110 hours of play and I'm definitely not going to willingly do something that could fuck my 70 hour save just because it's inconvenient. I have plenty of good weapons without that blacksmith.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom