• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Booshka

Aselith said:
But it's a chance that's outside your control vs. a chance you take by your own choice. I've never had the game freeze in like 110 hours of play and I'm definitely not going to willingly do something that could fuck my 70 hour save just because it's inconvenient. I have plenty of good weapons without that blacksmith.
I read about people turning off their console's after they used a Titanite Slab so the Slab wouldn't be used and they could keep using the same one over and over. I thought it was so silly to do something that risky for some upgrades that aren't even game changing.

Dresden

Booshka said:
I read about people turning off their console's after they used a Titanite Slab so the Slab wouldn't be used and they could keep using the same one over and over. I thought it was so silly to do something that risky for some upgrades that aren't even game changing.
You're only in real danger if you turn it off while the game is saving. The slab trick is perfectly fine, because the game always saves after you leave the menu - so just turning it off or exiting out of the game via dashboard while still in menu works well with no danger.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Booshka said:

Wouldn't doing this also take away the item they used the Slab on and render the whole thing pointless? I don't think it would even work to get Achievements or Trophies, because I don't think those get unlocked until after the game finishes its next autosave.

Booshka said:

i don't think it's the same sort of risk if you quit via menu or the button on your console. pulling the plug is a whole different matter however.

ixix said:
Wouldn't doing this also take away the item they used the Slab on and render the whole thing pointless? I don't think it would even work to get Achievements or Trophies, because I don't think those get unlocked until after the game finishes its next autosave.

it works to get the trophies 100%. nothing is being deleted.

ixix

Augemitbutter said:
it works to get the trophies 100%. nothing is being deleted.

Interesting. So do you end up with the fully-upgraded item still in your inventory and the Slab restored so you can use it again?

Dresden

ixix said:
Interesting. So do you end up with the fully-upgraded item still in your inventory and the Slab restored so you can use it again?
Nah just the trophy, with the slab unused and the weapon unmodified.

Did it for the Crystal unlock because who wants a fucking Crystal weapon?

NBtoaster

How do I get past this thing on the bridge in the painted world? I already killed the dragon but it seems to have left something behind I can't get through.

ixix

Dresden said:
Nah just the trophy, with the slab unused and the weapon unmodified.

Did it for the Crystal unlock because who wants a fucking Crystal weapon?

Ah. That's interesting to know. I didn't think you could get them until the game had saved.

Pretty useless to me at this point, but I did just realize that I am probably all of 2 hours and one
trip to Anor Londo
away from having the Platinum if I feel like it.

asked a little earlier but didn't get a response. Used a bunch of titanite chunks to upgrade my armor set and now am finding that I am not running across many, and they are all from non-re-spawning enemies.....

Is there a re-spawning mob somewhere that will drop titanite chunks?

Now that I'm really getting to the point of having all of the achievements in this game, I'm really also getting to the point where once I'm done, I'll be seriously done with it forever. Not because it's not an awesome game (it is), but there is just too much ridiculous farming and other detritus that really kills this game for me sometimes.

Case in point - the Darkmoon Blade Covenant. Can't get summoned to invade other folks to get the Souvenir of Reprisals needed to rank up in the covenant, so I'm stuck trying to farm them off the crow-headed demons in the Painted World. Just terrible, terrible design in that part of the level. The crows drop the items so incredibly rarely, plus they're all clustered around a huge pit and boneheadedly jump into it most of the time.

I know, this is just rant, but it's disappointing to see so many of the covenant ranks tied directly to PvP, which to this day is still borderline broken. Sigh.

Zzoram

sleepykyo said:
If you're referring the thing afterwards, jump fierce, er towards+R2/RT to stand up and then go through.

What is past there? It's just a broken bridge with a gap too far to jump from what I remember, nothing to see or get.

Zzoram

KoreanBarbecue said:
Now that I'm really getting to the point of having all of the achievements in this game, I'm really also getting to the point where once I'm done, I'll be seriously done with it forever. Not because it's not an awesome game (it is), but there is just too much ridiculous farming and other detritus that really kills this game for me sometimes.

Case in point - the Darkmoon Blade Covenant. Can't get summoned to invade other folks to get the Souvenir of Reprisals needed to rank up in the covenant, so I'm stuck trying to farm them off the crow-headed demons in the Painted World. Just terrible, terrible design in that part of the level. The crows drop the items so incredibly rarely, plus they're all clustered around a huge pit and boneheadedly jump into it most of the time.

I know, this is just rant, but it's disappointing to see so many of the covenant ranks tied directly to PvP, which to this day is still borderline broken. Sigh.

Um once you get your platinum trophy, you're LIBERATED. Why would you grind ever again? Just make a low level PvP character, get yourself a Lightning Scotel +5, Hollow Soldier Shield +14, Elite Knight Armor +14, and PvP to your heart's content (either co-op, invade, or duel), or see if you can get to NG+++++++ with a level 20 character.

Dresden

I was lucky enough to get like eight Souvenirs in one hour of pvp in Anor Londo, usually killing people waiting in the darkened version trying to farm low level Darkmoon invaders. Hopefully the online fix helps.

ixix

KoreanBarbecue said:

I had vastly more luck getting Souvenirs of Reprisal by wearing the Darkmoon Blade Covenant Ring rather than the Blue Eye Orb. I ended up with something like 16 of them in a single evening of PvP.

Hopefully the upcoming patch makes it a bit easier to get PvP action going, though. Farming the harpies is pretty agonizing.

yeb

Zzoram said:
What is past there? It's just a broken bridge with a gap too far to jump from what I remember, nothing to see or get.
The idea is that it's a shortcut, so you don't have to use the switch to open the door below.

I have a titanite slab, an unupgraded Iaito and 750,000 souls I accumulated while farming that slab waiting for this patch. I'm hoping my investment in dex will finally pay off.

Dresden said:
I was lucky enough to get like eight Souvenirs in one hour of pvp in Anor Londo, usually killing people waiting in the darkened version trying to farm low level Darkmoon invaders. Hopefully the online fix helps.

I would invade and PvP 100% if I could just get summoned...which I can't. Been sitting around for hours and nothing. :( Just got one more from the crows, making my grand total 5. Whee....

Xanathus said:
Update on my SL1 run, just killed
Ornstein & Smough
and
Gwyndolin
, time to take on the
Four Kings
. This is the part of the game that I hate the most, even more than Tomb of Giants. Maybe I should do
Crystal Butterfly
first with Beatrice so I can summon her for the
Four Kings
fight.

For your SL1 run I definitely suggest doing the
Butterfly
first so you can get the shield. The shield is all sorts of broken and not getting patched. The
Four Kings
are just a damage race so that shield plus Iron Flesh will win it for you easy.

Time to abuse all the glitches before they go bye bye... with a bottomless box you can have up to 198 of every item. :) lol... Not as useful for a SL1 invader, since I mainly need humanity. It is nice for blooming mosses since I invade in Blighttwon. Though those are pretty cheap anyways. Gotta stock up on Large/Green shards.

KoreanBarbecue said:
I would invade and PvP 100% if I could just get summoned...which I can't. Been sitting around for hours and nothing. :( Just got one more from the crows, making my grand total 5. Whee....

If you really enjoy invading and PvPing I suggest either go forest hunters or make a level 1 character and run through the game. Because the main restriction is they have to be above your level I get above a 90% success rate for invading as a level 1. Using the ring of favor/protection and Havel's ring puts me at the equivalent of like a level 18. And since you are prepping for PvP you can have all your equipment and stuff maxed out so you should do fine. If you want to go even further you can wear the mask of the mother for even more health making you a higher effective level.

anddo0

corrosivefrost said:
check the descriptions, they should be different. one should be cursed and says it can hit ghosts. the other is not.

if you have all boss soul weapons but haven't gotten your rare knight achievement/trophy, you're missing something from a rare enemy drop or an NPC invader, most likely.

I've literally been over the list 20 times now. All weapons are present (cured and true Greatsword of Artorias). My game is glitched. I've read similar post at Gamefaq as well. Sucks to see the game stuck at 97% even though I've done everything on the checklist. But it is, what it is. I'll feel a little bitter every time I see that 97%, but there's nothing I can do.

cj_iwakura said:
What's the Snuggly glitch? I could use me some Twinkling Titanite.

Drop what you are trading, quit game, reload, BEFORE picking up the item that got converted drop another one, then pick up the converted item, and repeat. As long as you drop the trading item before you pick it up you can do it as many times as you want. You can even drop it then pick up both of them and come back and do it again later. Great for Twinkling, Demon, and Dragon Scales.

Boogybro

For some reason I got attacked by some sort of phantom knight pretty much as soon as I entered New Londo Ruins, not an invasion tho...

It's the first time I've been there having been cursed. Anyone got any info on this?

cj_iwakura said:
I guess the new patch isn't doing anything to help the online, is it?

They are doing things for online. They are making it easier to Co-op, patching a lot of the broken items, and they are improving the ability to match with other players.

scosher

Boogybro said:
For some reason I got attacked by some sort of phantom knight pretty much as soon as I entered New Londo Ruins, not an invasion tho...

It's the first time I've been there having been cursed. Anyone got any info on this?

It's the first NPC you met in Lordran. He wandered off and became hollow.

Boogybro

scosher said:
It's the first NPC you met in Lordran. He wandered off and became hollow.

The one behind the brick wall, right?
That's pretty awesome and unexpected.

Edit: Oh wait, maybe not. I know who it is now.

yeb

Zzoram said:
What door below? If you walk off the bridge, you land on something?
Normally in the Painted World,
you would make it to the tower, go down to the central courtyard, then down to the watery area with the skeleton wheels, and hit the switch there to open the locked door leading to the bridge to the boss. If you kill the zombie dragon and then jump attack its leftover legs, you can just fall onto the bridge and head straight to the boss.

So there's finally an ETA for the patch? I've fallen behind a bit here.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
DigitalDevil said:
asked a little earlier but didn't get a response. Used a bunch of titanite chunks to upgrade my armor set and now am finding that I am not running across many, and they are all from non-re-spawning enemies.....

Is there a re-spawning mob somewhere that will drop titanite chunks?
Darkwraiths in New Londo and the last area of the game

ixix

I just noticed something about the game's credits.
Priscilla is called "Priscilla the Dragon Crossbreed" in the voice actor section. Obviously the dagger's description already said as much, but still nice to have corroboration.

Insaniac

finalozzo said:
my second pg is a mage.
is the moonlight sword the only good weapon for a mage? I can miss it so i hope it's not.

I use a enchanted falchion +4 and a crystal ring shield. can hit guys in Anor Londo in NG+ for 1100 damage with my shield

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
So my Dark Souls career is over... Came home, was tired... fumbled on the loading data menu and I deleted my 93 hour save game by mistake...

This is why locking save games sucks ass... No way I m starting from scratch... what a terrible fate to a great game... :*(

Edit: Miss the days of codes, cheats and hacks... now you fuck up and its all over man...

Septimius

Ill Saint said:
Could be wrong, but I believe that since the servers are universal, all regions will get it at the same time.

I'd like to point out that distributing patches has nothing to do with the games internal servers. This happens on PSN :)

def sim

DarkoMaledictus said:
So my Dark Souls career is over... Came home, was tired... fumbled on the loading data menu and I deleted my 93 hour save game by mistake...

This is why locking save games sucks ass... No way I m starting from scratch... what a terrible fate to a great game... :*(

Edit: Miss the days of codes, cheats and hacks... now you fuck up and its all over man...

You can always use the infinite souls glitch to get back your SL and equipment early on. Though that would probably require a couple of hours even still.

Septimius

DarkoMaledictus said:

That sucks. I dunno which is worse, it getting corrupted, or this happening.

rance said:
You can always use the infinite souls glitch to get back your SL and equipment early on. Though that would probably require a couple of hours even still.

Starting with Master's Key, I am ready to venture into the Great Hallow after having played for 1:15 - rung both bells. I've got gold hemmed, too.

You could use the Snuggly glitch and the souls glitch right from the start. Just get Master's Key and run straight to Blighttown via Valley of The Drakes. Just blitz to the Stone Dragon. Start as a pyro, and you get great poison resistance.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
rance said:

True but the equipment part will be a pain to get... :(... all those treasure chests, Ambers, rings... makes me cry just to think about going through it again... and I was so close to the end...

Why on earth is there not an undelete feature,,,

theta11

rance said:

All you need to get the infinite soul glitch early on is the Master Key, go to Blight Town pick up the sealers robes for the curse resist then run through the great hollow, you can skip all the enemies there and most of the time the frogs will suicide chasing you. You can be glitching in around 30 minutes from a new game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom