• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonsoncao

Banned
Thagomizer said:
How the hell do you slide down ladders? I can never get my guy to do it no matter how much I flail on my controller
Hit X, get on the ladder, FULL STOP, no analog stick pressing, press Circle again.

For 360 just swap X and Cirle for A and B.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
As an experiment I just let Solaire and Lautrec try to handle the gargoyles by themselves in NG++ and they damn near pulled it off. Killed the first one and almost took out the second before they got trapped in fire breath spam and died.

Some mighty fine work there, fellas. Mighty fine.

ixix

Phonomezer said:
Stray Demon.

I just CAN'T kill him, even with the Gold Trimmed Armor, Flame Stoneplate Ring AND Flash Sweat on... crazy!

Flash Sweat and Flame Stoneplate Ring aren't going to help at all. His ranged attack is Magic damage, not Fire damage, in spite of its appearance. If you need to block a shot of it your best bet is the Crest Shield, and your best option is to get right up in his grille so he stops using it completely.

Phonomezer said:
Stray Demon.

I just CAN'T kill him, even with the Gold Trimmed Armor, Flame Stoneplate Ring AND Flash Sweat on... crazy!

I'm assuming you've got that fire resist stuff for his aoe attack? It actually does magic damage, not fire.

ixix said:
Flash Sweat and Flame Stoneplate Ring aren't going to help at all. His ranged attack is Magic damage, not Fire damage, in spite of its appearance. If you need to block a shot of it your best bet is the Crest Shield, and your best option is to get right up in his grille so he stops using it completely.

Oh FFS. Thank you for letting me know, LOL.

I have Grass Crest Shield +10 equipped, but I've just been using the Crystal Ring Shield in hopes of getting a hit in.

I summoned Solaire for the first time. Shit was straight unfair.

I'm playing NG+ now so I don't really care one way or another, but taking on the bosses solo and succeeding are the hightlights of the game. Why would you rob yourself of that?

ixix

toasty_T said:
I summoned Solaire for the first time. Shit was straight unfair.

I'm playing NG+ now so I don't really care one way or another, but taking on the bosses solo and succeeding are the hightlights of the game. Why would you rob yourself of that?

Because watching the AI fight itself is hilarious. You summon them and you watch them gormlessly flop about occasionally smacking the boss and you laugh and you laugh and you laugh.

Seriously, go summon some NPC phantoms, grab some popcorn, then park yourself in a corner and just watch. It's adorable.

Dresden

ixix said:
Because watching the AI fight itself is hilarious. You summon them and you watch them gormlessly flop about occasionally smacking the boss and you laugh and you laugh and you laugh.

Seriously, go summon some NPC phantoms, grab some popcorn, then park yourself in a corner and just watch. It's adorable.
I used to think the same way, then somehow Mildred the Maneater just about soloed Quelaag on ng+ when I was running through it with my cleric. It was beautiful.

Dresden said:
I used to think the same way, then somehow Mildred the Maneater just about soloed Quelaag on ng+ when I was running through it with my cleric. It was beautiful.

Seriously. Mildred went to fucking town on the spider lady.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Thank you to everyone who offered advice about how to go around my profile getting deleted. I restarted with the master key and boy does it move around a lot of content with it :)! Got the glitch going... no way I was getting back those level the hardway. Not there yet but 2 bells done and almost at sens :)! Thanks again guys!

ixix

Dresden said:

Some of them really are shockingly competent if you're willing to just let them get to it. As long as Mildred doesn't get caught in a pathing loop she does a great job. Solaire and Lautrec are enough to handle the Gargoyles, Beatrice can solo the Moonlight Butterfly like it weren't even a thang, and the things Leeroy does to Pinwheel are just sick.

Because, of course, Pinwheel and the Butterfly are notorious for their massive difficulty.

I've never really tried letting Tarkus handle the Iron Golem. Maybe next time I'm in Sen's I'll give it a try.

Phonomezer said:
Stray Demon.

What type of build are you?

Here's what I did, as a DEX build with an Iaito and no magic/pyromancy or shield:

- Come in from the bonfire beyond the gate where they expect you to run from Asylum Demon at the beginning of the game. If you fall in from the side where the first bonfire in the Asylum is it's very hard to get away from him and he can one-shot you with half of your HP gone from the fall.

- When you get down there, roll away and pop an Estus Flask immediately.

- Afterwards, he's likely gonna come at you with his favorite trick, the overhead two-handed swing. Charge him and run off to one of his sides, rolling if necessary. The goal is to get yourself in close and behind him while he's doing that move.

- Once you're close behind him, he only does two moves. One is where he sticks the staff into the ground and does an AoE which is easy to step away from, the other is where he flies into the air and tries to sit on you, turn off target lock when he does this so you can step away. Both are very easy to avoid.

- Stay behind him and attack, stepping away when he does the two aforementioned moves. Once you get behind him it's basically game over for him.

def sim

corrosivefrost said:
That's way too much effort.
Step 1: Equip slumbering dragoncrest ring.
Step 2: Equip crimson robes or other armor with high curse resist. Add cursebite ring if you have it and feel it's necessary.
Step 3: Get up in his gut and bash him with your weapon of choice 2H until he dies, rolling out of the crystals as necessary.

In short: LESS DODGE, MORE STAB

Or, if you like magic, just set his ass on fire.

This is all true.

I dislike using the slumbering dragon crest ring because of the ugly effect it gives you. Screw magic bubble feet, I'd rather fight him the boring way after shooting all my soul spears.

Small Mailman said:
WOW FUCK BEING CURSED! how the hell can I beat the gaping dragon now!? argghgh!

Gaping Dragon is pretty simple, you just need a bit of patience.

Basically, back off him as far as you can while he's on two legs with his mouth thing open. Wait for him to drop to all fours (or sixes I think), when he does that he's going to charge at you. Step to the side and give him a good bit of room, and he won't hit you at all. When he finishes charging, go behind him and strike until you see him rear up again, get away when he does. Repeat until dead.

Small Mailman said:
WOW FUCK BEING CURSED! how the hell can I beat the gaping dragon now!? argghgh!
Gaping Dragon is one of the few bosses that you can go without getting hit whatsoever without much effort.

Wait for the chomp -> hit him in the head -> run. Rinse and repeat

If you're feeling lucky, cut if his tail. Do so from as close to his body as possible.

def sim

toasty_T said:
Gaping Dragon is one of the few bosses that you can go without getting hit whatsoever without much effort.

If you're feeling lucky, cut if his tail. Do so from as close to his body as possible.

Hit him in the head three times, run to the side to avoid the charge, attack his butt. That's the pattern you should get him into so you do decent damage and never get hit.

Phonomezer said:
Oh FFS. Thank you for letting me know, LOL.

I have Grass Crest Shield +10 equipped, but I've just been using the Crystal Ring Shield in hopes of getting a hit in.

yeah i used crystal ring shield and bellowing dragoncrest ring and lots of magic on him and stayed away. think i used iron flesh as well.

Aselith

Hawkian said:
There a bonfire in Tomb of the Giants?

Two of em. One even lets you warp in although my second characters playthrough, it wouldn't let me warp in so I don't know what the fuck's up with that.

Hawkian said:
There a bonfire in Tomb of the Giants?

Yeah, several. The first one is right near where Patches, and the second one is a little ways further in where those skeleton dog things attack you with the Giant Skeleton nearby.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I can't wait to see what the Souls team do next.

(More Souls games, please)

Have they ever talked about plans for another?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Rez said:
Man, I can't wait to see what the Souls team do next.

(More Souls games, please)

Have they ever talked about plans for another?
Well, there are fourteen Armored Core games, nine Tenchu games, and six King's Field titles, so it would probably be a pretty safe bet.

rance said:
Hit him in the head three times, run to the side to avoid the charge, attack his butt. That's the pattern you should get him into so you do decent damage and never get hit.

toasty_T said:

Wow! Thanks guys!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, they did so much right with the open world in this game. I can't wait to see what they do with what they learnt from this game. I guess this is how everyone felt after Demon's.

maomaoIYP

Rez said:
I mean, they did so much right with the open world in this game. I can't wait to see what they do with what they learnt from this game. I guess this is how everyone felt after Demon's.

I honestly wish Dark Souls was scarier. I felt the overall atmosphere in Demon's Souls was a lot more dark and brooding. I remember watching the opening cinematic in DeS for the first time, goddamned dragon god with all those rows of teeth was pants-shitting terrifying.
Also that message when you die in DeS, "You are dead, however the nexus traps your soul, for eternity" or something like that. How depressing is that?

def sim

Hopefully From realizes this game might be their big thing and actually get Namco to throw some more money at the franchise. A big budget Dark Whatever game would be amazing.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, Dark Souls seems fairly high-budget for what it is. Something like this can't have been cheap.

Part of what I liked about Dark Souls is how (relatively) inviting Undead Burg is compared to beginning of Demon's, but yeah, making the game scarier again afterwards would be nice.

knitoe

Damn, I now hate New Londo Ruins. Hours wasted trying to farm for slabs. Now, trying to get the Ghost Blade from the female ghost. I only know where 2 of them spawns. Pain in the ass to get to them, especially one in the room with 8-10 ghost. Such a long run each time and the drop rate seems to suck too.

On a good note, I did try iron flesh on 4 Kings NG++. Now, I know it was nerf.

def sim

Rez said:
I mean, Dark Souls seems fairly high-budget for what it is. Something like this can't have been cheap.

A bigger budget with dedicated servers and more fleshed out story. P2P is garbage for a game like this and I'm normally fine with minimalist stories but it's way too apparent towards the end.

Also, no more badly optimized Blighttown and Lost Izalith laziness.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Save file started me right outside the boss door, still human. Somebody come put your sign down by Nito's entrance! I'm level 67.

NBtoaster

New Londo pisses me off. There really should be a bonfire at the bottom of the elevator. It's just tedious, going down it every time.

Also if I killed 2 of those enemies in the 4 kings fight, why were there still 3 left?? Or am I taking it too literally :L

toasty_T said:
Congrats :) I had to take him out cursed too. Seems insurmountable at first but it's cake if you're patient.

Well I haven't beaten him yet! But that advice is good I never thought of that! Is the city mentioned coming up soon after I beat him though? I don't really like being cursed.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
NBtoaster said:
New Londo pisses me off. There really should be a bonfire at the bottom of the elevator. It's just tedious, going down it every time.

Also if I killed 2 of those enemies in the 4 kings fight, why were there still 3 left?? Or am I taking it too literally :L
NG+? Five Kings :p

Dresden

New Londo really needed a bonfire. I know it's not a huge run back, but it'd help out for people slab farming, maybe focus some additional traffic there for people looking for help, and wouldn't tack on a three minute run through a couple of darkwraiths everytime you tried to kill the Kings.

hteng

Banned
NBtoaster said:

the 4 kings spawn on a set timer, there's unlimited amount of them. the 4 refers to their weapons.

Small Mailman said:
Well I haven't beaten him yet! But that advice is good I never thought of that! Is the city mentioned coming up soon after I beat him though? I don't really like being cursed.

Beating Gaping Dragon gives you access to Blighttown and a decent amount of souls, 37.5K iirc.

To get uncursed you'll have to fight your way out of The Depths and get to either the undead merchant in the aqueduct or what's his name the pardoner in the church belltower. They both sell purging stones although he does for 3000 souls and the merchant sells for 6000.

I would suggest picking up a purging stone after you taking down the gargoyles just in case, although the trek back to Firelink isn't really that long. The only things that you'll encounter are those undead near the staircase and a couple dogs. Throw on the ring that saves you from dying if you're worried about your souls, or spend a chunk levelling up before you leave

toasty_T said:
Beating Gaping Dragon gives you access to Blighttown and a decent amount of souls, 37.5K iirc.

To get uncursed you'll have to fight your way out of The Depths and get to either the undead merchant in the aqueduct or what's his name the pardoner in the church belltower. They both sell purging stones although he does for 3000 souls and the merchant sells for 6000.

I would suggest picking up a purging stone after you taking down the gargoyles just in case, although the trek back to Firelink isn't really that long. The only things that you'll encounter are those undead near the staircase and a couple dogs. Throw on the ring that saves you from dying if you're worried about your souls, or spend a chunk levelling up before you leave
Where is this???

Small Mailman said:
Where is this???

Likely referring to Ring of Sacrifice, makes it so when you die you don't lose any souls/humanity.

You can get one on the aqueduct at the beginning of the game, where you go up the stairs at Firelink Shrine to enter the Undead Burg. Jump across the cliff to the aqueduct and run along the side edge until you get to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom