• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

glaurung

Small Mailman said:
Where is this???
This is a bit tricky. Remember the winding stair that goes up from Firelink? Instead of entering the sewer pipe, drop down onto the lower level of the aqueduct and look around on the lower level there.

To get back out from there, you need a mighty jump.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Hawkian said:
Save file started me right outside the boss door, still human. Somebody come put your sign down by Nito's entrance! I'm level 67.
Just stay near the entrance and avoid agroing the giant skeletons and the fight is a walk in the park.

kyubajin

SIgh... I feel like I wasted 10 twinkling titanite :/

I've been upgrading the Black Iron set and every piece is at +2 now, then I decided to switch my havel's ring for favour and devotion and all obviously my Equip Load isn't high enough to wear the whole set at 50% load, even with 40 END. Dunno if I should just keep pumping END till 100 equip load (with F&D bonus) of just try and upgrade other sets that weight less than the Black Iron set. I'm resorting to wearing different gauntlets to support my current configuration.

toasty_T said:
Beating Gaping Dragon gives you access to Blighttown and a decent amount of souls, 37.5K iirc.

How do you get into blighttown btw after defeating the dragon? I only ever went there via the valley of the drakes entrance.

V_Arnold

toddhunter said:
How do you get into blighttown btw after defeating the dragon? I only ever went there via the valley of the drakes entrance.

How is that even possible? Watched FAQ/Walkthroughs before you first ringed the second bell? o_O

You just unlock the door in the basement where there is 2 rats, 3 slime and a merchant, and descend on a ladder.

No I couldn't find the door (thanks seems obvious now) so I back-tracked out and went exploring. Ended up down near the hydra and found my way back from there.

Throavium

The door in the
Demon's Ruins that leads to the dungeon right before where the Bed of Chaos is, is still "locked by some contraption". Even after I defeated Nito and Seath the Scaleless. Did I miss something? Every other boss has been killed.

toddhunter said:
No I couldn't find the door (thanks seems obvious now) so I back-tracked out and went exploring. Ended up down near the hydra and found my way back from there.
Lol, it's amazing to me the differing experiences people have playing this game.

I never played Demon Souls and just got Dark Souls. After reading a bit into the guide I decided to be a Wanderer + Master Key as gift. Is that a good choice for a beginner and probably inexperienced player? I normally don't like ranged weapons / magic in RPGs. First thought to become a thief but with the really, really close range I am a bit afraid it will be too difficult.

nonnocere

systemfehler said:
I never played Demon Souls and just got Dark Souls. After reading a bit into the guide I decided to be a Wanderer + Master Key as gift. Is that a good choice for a beginner and probably inexperienced player? I normally don't like ranged weapons / magic in RPGs. First thought to become a thief but with the really, really close range I am a bit afraid it will be too difficult.

That would be a good assessment.

Playing primarily melee right now at about soul level 27 in Blight town/Queelag's Domain.

Having some magic abilities as projectiles would be nice about now.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm a failure. I can't for the life of me beat 1-1 in Demon's Souls. I just keep dying over and over again.

Gattsu25

Banned
Throavium said:
The door in the
Demon's Ruins that leads to the dungeon right before where the Bed of Chaos is, is still "locked by some contraption". Even after I defeated Nito and Seath the Scaleless. Did I miss something? Every other boss has been killed.
I believe that is the Chaos Servant covenant's level 2 shortcut. Join the covenant and donate 30 humanity to open that.

Ourobolus

Banned
So the Uchigatana was my favorite weapon in Demon's Souls. How does it stack up in Dark Souls? I know the Dex bonus just got boosted to A at high levels which is great for my Dex build. Any of the other upgrade routes worth it, though?

Finalow

toasty_T said:
So how do I join the Darkwraith's? From what I understand I have to go to New Londo before I show Frampt the lordvessel.

Is that right?
just don't talk to frampt, you can do everything but don't talk to it, then kill the 4 kings and talk to the thing there and you can join the covenant.

Sarcasm said:
Is there soft caps to stats?

Hmmm, all that I know is that after about 45-50 in any stat I started getting diminishing returns that seems almost exponential. I have DEX capped at 99 and my progression was like this for my bow damage:

10-41 DEX = +3 Damage
42-50 = +1 Damage
50-99 = +1 Damage every 2, 3, 4, 5 points and so on

Dunno if this helps.

Zzoram

AlphaDragoon said:
Yeah, several. The first one is right near where Patches, and the second one is a little ways further in where those skeleton dog things attack you with the Giant Skeleton nearby.

wtf? where is the second bonfire more specifically? I never found it

scosher

Sarcasm said:
Is there soft caps to stats?

50 is considered the soft cap for most stats. 40 for Endurance cause that's max stamina. Don't bother with resistance. Attunement is best at around 23 (6 spell slots), and takes too much investment for additional slots afterwards.

Zzoram

Throavium said:
The door in the

You have to be Chaos Covenant +2 rank (give white witch 30 humanity). It opens a shortcut that bypasses the entire lava area of Lost Izalith, the only area in the game that is bad.

Zzoram

systemfehler said:

Wanderer + Master Key is probably the best all around starter. Runner up goes to Pyromancer + Master Key.

Always get the Master Key, other gifts are worthless.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Zzoram said:
wtf? where is the second bonfire more specifically? I never found it
Just before the three(ish?) zombie dogs, you can turn left instead of right and find another bonfire. I don't know the exact position, but I'd always run past what felt like three dogs from the bonfire, hightail it to the ladder and then beeline for the Ash Lake view, which was just after the ladder.

Hope that helps, it's very vague.

Zzoram

Rez said:
I'm a failure. I can't for the life of me beat 1-1 in Demon's Souls. I just keep dying over and over again.

Open up the 2 short cuts? Use firebombs or the fire weapon stuff on the boss.

Zzoram

Rez said:
Just before the three zombie dogs, you can turn left instead of right and find another bonfire. I don't know the exact position, but I'd always run past what felt like three dogs from the bonfire, hightail it to the ladder and then beeline for the Ash Lake view, which was visible for, the bottom of the ladder.

Hope that helps.

I wonder how many bonfires I missed. I'm pretty sure I missed another catacombs one too.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Zzoram said:
I wonder how many bonfires I missed. I'm pretty sure I missed another catacombs one too.
There's another useless one in the Catacombs behind an invisible wall before the bridge that leads to the last fog wall before the boss fog wall. I mean, it doesn't really save much time, given that you can drop down to that bridge almost immediately from the other bonfire anyway.

But yeah, the hidden bonfires are really mean. I think the second bonfires in Blighttown and Sens are the worst offenders.

Zzoram

So the patch 1.04 fixed Crystal Ring Shield so it's no longer uber.

Also, instead of lowering damage of elemental weapons, they raised the resistance to elemental damage on most armor sets instead as a soft counter.

had an awesome time playing last night, whenever i could connect to other players (way too much waiting though) something awesome happened.

since i heard there are lots of lower level griefing invaders at the Depths i decided to go help people against them, and sure enough the first time i'm summoned, someone instantly invades... i'm with the host at the bonfire, and he seems to be afk when the invasion message appears :E i'm like oh fuck man, wake up! then i see the invader at the other end of the narrow tunnel, casting Tranquil Walk of Peace (surest sign of a griefer), and then rushing at us, casting Wrath of God repeatedly, FUCK! my afk host and i just keep getting slammed to the ground and i'm at like 10% hp, i do a desperate last move and throw a Great Chaos Fireball at him (or at a wall, i dunno) and i don't know what happens cos there's lava all over my screen and i realize i'm still alive so i start whacking away at whatever with my uchigatana... and BAM somehow the invader dies and fades away. host is still intact and apparently afk and never knew what happened, haha. it was so intense, never survived that tactic before, fucking slowing me down and casting a powerful AoE attack repeatedly........... ugh. i'm SO glad i got the bastard and the host survived to beat the level and boss.

another fun moment was invading in the forest, some player tried to throw a Great Chaos Fireball at me, but i went behind a tree and barely avoided it, then sneakily peeked from behind the tree and threw my own GCF at him, connecting with pure luck and killing him instantly :D got a Blue Titanite Chunk out of it too! and he indicted me haha. was the most fun 10 second invasion i've had so far.

Zzoram

astroturfing said:
hahah wow, awesome is the word truly.

what is he using along with the parrying dagger? i used to do a lot of PvP in Demon's Souls with the best dagger in the game, but i have no idea what is ideal to use in Dark Souls. maxed out Fire Bandit Knife?

bandit knife of some kind, maybe chaos +5 if you have 10 humanity

Septimius

Zzoram said:
So the patch 1.04 fixed Crystal Ring Shield so it's no longer uber.

Also, instead of lowering damage of elemental weapons, they raised the resistance to elemental damage on most armor sets instead as a soft counter.

This makes a lot of sense. In any armor configuration, your elemental resistance is 75% of what your physical DEF is. This means more than 25% damage in medium damage situations.

54-46!

I'm pure melee, where do I go from here? can't decide whether I should go STR or DEX.

SL60
VIT 30
END 32
STR 20
DEX 20

Currently using: Ornstein armor / Iato +5 Lightning / Silver Knight Shield +5

Zzoram said:
I assume this doesn't affect PvE?

Zzoram

Septimius said:
This makes a lot of sense. In any armor configuration, your elemental resistance is 75% of what your physical DEF is. This means more than 25% damage in medium damage situations.

Also, the tradeoff in elemental damage is it checks against two resistances, so the final damage dealt may end up below a purely physical damage +15 weapon sooner than it appears by looking at damage stats alone.

astroturfing said:
hahah wow, awesome is the word truly.

what is he using along with the parrying dagger? i used to do a lot of PvP in Demon's Souls with the best dagger in the game, but i have no idea what is ideal to use in Dark Souls. maxed out Fire Bandit Knife?

I think it's fire, not sure. Can anyone confirm?

mattp

not sure if this has been discussed but, have any sales #s been released yet?
i'm pretty curious how the game has done so far

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
mattp said:
not sure if this has been discussed but, have any sales #s been released yet?
i'm pretty curious how the game has done so far
1.5 mil shipped worldwide. I'd post a link to the thread, but I'm using the iOS web-app, which provides incorrect URLs for most people.

Thank you based Pyromancy. You allowed me to ascend from a mere mortal to an unholy beast from the depths of hades, spitting hell fire with reckless abandon

Iron Flesh on, so I don't give a fuck
Hit you with them combustion flames and it ain't never gonna stop

350662-big_boss_salute_super.jpg

toasty_T said:
Thank you based Pyromancy. You allowed me to ascend from a mere mortal to an unholy beast from the depths of hades, spitting hell fire with reckless abandon

Iron Flesh on, so I don't give a fuck
Hit you with them combustion flames and it ain't never gonna stop

350662-big_boss_salute_super.jpg

well, at least not until you download the patch.

Zzoram said:
What short cut?

After getting by the archers, he runs up the stairs 1.5 floors, turns around and does a running jump out of the staircase right into the hallway stairs that lead to the huge room in front of Smough and Ornstein

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom