• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did I just screw myself over?

I finished Anor Londo without ever talking to Big Hat Logan at the firelink shrine.
Do I have to get to him at the Dukes of Archives now to buy his greater shield spell or is he still at the shrine?

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Is the ring shield really that broken? I don't use mine regularly because it's a pretty lousy shield, and I'm easily hit out of the startup animation. I do admit it is very, very useful for certain areas, though.

See You Next Wednesday said:
Did I just screw myself over?

I finished Anor Londo without ever talking to Big Hat Logan at the firelink shrine.
Do I have to get to him at the Dukes of Archives now to buy his greater shield spell or is he still at the shrine?
I think he's still there. I don't think I talked to him at Firelink before going through Anor Londo either. He didn't show up at Duke's Archives until I went deep in there myself.

sixghost

2 Questions:

Would I be able to regularly summon/be summoned by people in their NG+ or higher at SL127? Is SL120 still a common place for people to stop their leveling?
I'd like to get my strength up enough to check out the Grant at 50 faith.

Also, would 2handing a weapon requiring 50str at 33str (33*1.5=49.5) could as meeting the req? I don't know if values round up in this game.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Anyone use the great dragon sword? I don't have the strength yet... but its base damage is as high as my +4 Gravelord Sword. I'd like to enhance it and make it my go to weapon on NG+, as I like big ol two handers. Is it any good or is it too slow to be useful?

Speevy

Banned
MarshMellow96 said:
How do I beat Gravelord Nito? I can't seem to do enough damage to him with the Quelaag Sword. Feels like a war of attrition..

Let him trap you in a place where the skeletons can't go.

That's how I won.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
MarshMellow96 said:
How do I beat Gravelord Nito? I can't seem to do enough damage to him with the Quelaag Sword. Feels like a war of attrition..

I two-handed the fury sword, cast iron flesh, and traded blows with him, using an estus flask when I got below 50%. I dont know if that will still work with the new patch because of the changes to iron flesh. But definitely dont go to him, just wait right there where you drop down and he will come to you. This way you wont aggro the giant skeletons in the back of the room. And kill the small skeletons that initially charge you with a divine weapon, then they wont respawn.

Finalow

ok, just ... why.
i'm at new londo ruins and i can't find anyone to summon but the strange thing is that anyone tried to invade me. (i'm at level 90)
I'm human and i'm not offline, why this? Do i need to finish the catacombs first?
I just want to join the darkwraith covenant. =|

How do I get my shield over +10? Which amber do I need? The others don't show any option except lightning shield etc...

Also, I'm almost done with Lost Izalith ( which was cheap but not so hard with a sorc ), but can't find the boss for some reason. I am stuck in the poison floored structure.

Please help!

Also, I am not glad about the sorc nerf :(

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
What's the deal with rubbish, anyway? Or garbage, I forget what they call it.

scy

Rez said:
What's the deal with rubbish, anyway? Or garbage, I forget what they call it.

Trade it to Snuggly for a Titanite Chunk. That's about it, as far as I know.

Saargabath said:
How do I get my shield over +10? Which amber do I need? The others don't show any option except lightning shield etc...

Very Large Ember from New Londo; if I remember right, it's basically just up to the top of the tower near where you changed the water level.

So is there any weapon lying around that I can find to kill the ghost in New Londo Ruins before I get there?

I don't have enough items to forge a divine or curse weapon bymyself.

Well, no weapon you make besides the Artorias Greatsword should hurt them; Divine, Occult, whatever all do nothing. You need Transient Curse items and you get two at the entrance to New Londo; the ghosts themselves drop them too so it's pretty hard to run out if you have a decent Item Discovery chance.

They also drop Jagged Ghost Blades (or Ghost Blades from the two screamers) that can hit them without you being Cursed/using a Transient Curse.

Finalow

scy said:
They also drop Jagged Ghost Blades (or Ghost Blades from the two screamers) that can hit them without you being Cursed/using a Transient Curse.
yep but they suck.
you should but 4 transient curses at the female undead merchant.

Ironflesh & 2 hand your sword. Do it quick before the patch though.

I just used Havel's Armor and a Black Knight Greataxe+5 and two-handed him to death. The extra poise from the armor meant that I only ever got knocked back if Nito used his big area of effect attack (which can also kill his skeletons btw), but even then, it would only take off about a third of my health. Just hit, hit, hit, wait to regen stamina, and repeat.

scy said:
Very Large Ember from New Londo; if I remember right, it's basically just up to the top of the tower near where you changed the water level.

Thanks! I remember now I did not check the whole place.

johntown

Banned
scy said:
But you cannot block the attacks of the ghosts if you use those weapons which makes them almost pointless.

scy

Saargabath said:
Thanks! I remember now I did not check the whole place.

Just to correct myself, it's actually just up the stairs in the first building you enter from Firelink Shrine; take the lift down to where the Darkwraiths are and then up the staircase there. The item near the water level area is the Composite Bow.

...not entirely sure how I mixed those two up.

johntown said:
But you cannot block the attacks of the ghosts if you use those weapons which makes them almost pointless.

Mostly just mentioned them to be thorough :/ I've never actually resorted to using them. I always have like 40+ Curses from doing New Londo and that's more than enough to do the place.

maomaoIYP

sixghost said:
2 Questions:

Would I be able to regularly summon/be summoned by people in their NG+ or higher at SL127? Is SL120 still a common place for people to stop their leveling?

Also, would 2handing a weapon requiring 50str at 33str (33*1.5=49.5) could as meeting the req? I don't know if values round up in this game.

I'm keeping a character below 70 for online play. It doesn't work very well, I rarely see any kinds of signs and I spam the blue orb like no tomorrow just to get a few invasions.

I believe the requirements are rounded down.

maomaoIYP

Mattdaddy said:
Anyone use the great dragon sword? I don't have the strength yet... but its base damage is as high as my +4 Gravelord Sword. I'd like to enhance it and make it my go to weapon on NG+, as I like big ol two handers. Is it any good or is it too slow to be useful?

I'm making a character just to use the big weapons. Currently they aren't really worth the effort because better weapons which are both faster and lighter are easily available, but if it's only for PvE, why not? Besides, some of them are cool as hell.

scy

Dresden said:
Most pvp folks seem to have moved on to sl100+, lower stuff is just anor londo ganking.

110-ish range feels about right; makes for 50 STR/DEX/INT/Faith, 40 End, 30 VIT, and then ~20 points elsewhere.

But that's with absolutely no scientific testing or anything. Just the amount of times I randomly get invaded at that range.

Yikes, some modders love to troll

unledvkf.jpg

Roklie

Just got to Anor Londo and I died immdiately on the first enemy encounter (the big knight with the shield). Should I wait before I come here again and the catacombs in the meanwhile?'

//And another thing: What kind of equipment would you recommend me at this point, I'm focusing on faith and I'm using the halberd?

Zzoram

sixghost said:
2 Questions:

People seem to stop around SL50, SL80, SL100, or SL120. The lower ranges are more active.

Whether you're in NG, NG+ or NG++++ doesn't matter, summoning is still based only on SL.

You might need 34 STR, not sure, try it and see if you get the X saying you can't use it properly.

Sullichin

Roklie said:
Just got to Anor Londo and I died immdiately on the first enemy encounter (the big knight with the shield). Should I wait before I come here again and the catacombs in the meanwhile?'

//And another thing: What kind of equipment would you recommend me at this point, I'm focusing on faith and I'm using the halberd?

I like the Divine Gargoyle's Halberd. Scales with faith

I'd do Anor Londo first. After the catacombs, I don't think you can make it too far into the next area, Tomb of Giants, until you beat Anor Londo.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Roklie said:

If you've got a divine weapon, catacombs is doable at pretty much any time.

If you haven't done Darkroot yet, maybe try that. Lots of good loot and souls there.

Equipment wise your armor doesn't matter as much as weapons. Your weapon should be +5 or above by now, if not enchanted with Magic or Divine.

Zzoram

Saargabath said:

Also, I'm almost done with Lost Izalith ( which was cheap but not so hard with a sorc ), but can't find the boss for some reason. I am stuck in the poison floored structure.

Please help!

Also, I am not glad about the sorc nerf :(

Very Large Ember for the Undead Parish blacksmith lets you boost most shields to +15.

Some things only go to +10 though, I think mostly armor.

Roklie said:

The giants are easy to just run past. There is also a bonfire right after them.

Finalow

finalozzo said:
ok, just ... why.
i'm at new londo ruins and i can't find anyone to summon but the strange thing is that anyone tried to invade me. (i'm at level 90)
I'm human and i'm not offline, why this? Do i need to finish the catacombs first?
I just want to join the darkwraith covenant. =|
anyone?

scy

Quote said:
Speaking of halberds, the first one you find in Londo, the crystal one, that can't be repaired right?

I believe it repairs itself when you Upgrade it. Besides that, nope, no repairing ever for it.

sixghost

scy said:
I believe it repairs itself when you Upgrade it. Besides that, nope, no repairing ever for it.
Does this mean you can't repair it when the durability reaches 0, or you just can't repair it ever?

I haven't used a crystal weapon yet.

brentech

Man, tried to finish up Gwyn so I could go on to playing Uncharted in the peace of knowing that I beat Dark Souls....but that MFer is pissing me off to no end. I had to take a break.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
maomaoIYP said:
I'm making a character just to use the big weapons. Currently they aren't really worth the effort because better weapons which are both faster and lighter are easily available, but if it's only for PvE, why not? Besides, some of them are cool as hell.

Word, I'm taking that bad boy to +5 and rocking the PVE with it in my NG+.

just finished the game.

just before i did.....got summoned. there were three of us and we got invaded. 3 x level 400 badasses ready to battle this one poor guy. he was at one edge of the bridge...we were at the other. beckoned him to come over ....then it was on.

Crystal homing soul mass..crystal ring shield ready......

.....then i fell off the bridge and died :( so embarrassing. :(

Citizen K

Can someone help me with this. I just got to the giant blacksmith but I when I got to upgrade weapons my +5 normal washing pole does not come up on the list so I can't upgrade further...?

Hoping to get some post patch character build advice. I'm pretty early in the game and I'm totally obsessed! Just beat Capra as a SL28 Pyromancer.

I'm only interested in a single PvE playthrough and as a weaksauce gamer, I want to make the experience as easy as possible.

My plan was to keep STR and DEX to a minimum to wield elemental weapons and pump VIT (17) and END(17). With the new nerfs should I focus on DEX?

Is it worth putting a few points in INT to get Cast Light and other spells that help out later?

Xanathus

Citizen K said:
Can someone help me with this. I just got to the giant blacksmith but I when I got to upgrade weapons my +5 normal washing pole does not come up on the list so I can't upgrade further...?
Only Andre the blacksmith upgrades from 5 to 6.

Dresden

captscience said:
Hoping to get some post patch character build advice. I'm pretty early in the game and I'm totally obsessed! Just beat Capra as a SL28 Pyromancer.

I'm only interested in a single PvE playthrough and as a weaksauce gamer, I want to make the experience as easy as possible.

My plan was to keep STR and DEX to a minimum to wield elemental weapons and pump VIT (17) and END(17). With the new nerfs should I focus on DEX?

Is it worth putting a few points in INT to get Cast Light and other spells that help out later?
Pump Int, grab sorcery, pew pew to victory.

Otherwise if you don't plan on doing ng+ just pump Vit and End while keeping enough str and dex to wield elemental weapons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom