• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

knitoe

Anyone have a faster farming strategy for getting the Ghost Blade from the female ghost? Right now, I am running from Firelink through New Londo just to kill two is taking forever.

knitoe said:
Anyone have a faster farming strategy for getting the Ghost Blade from the female ghost? Right now, I am running from Firelink through New Londo just to kill two is taking forever.

Buy homeward bones. Or learn the homeward miracle.
As you exit the elevator down, trigger the switch so it goes back up.
Gold serpent ring + 30 humanity.
If you're feeling lucky/brave, farm both. Otherwise just farm the one by herself and warp.

I'm curious, why do you want the ghost blade?
From accounts told here, it's not required for the rare weapon trophy... and general consensus is that the ghost blades suck, I think.

Zzoram

Wow so I stepped into the Nito white fog but immediately homeward boned out when I remembered that I forgot to get his covenant miracle first. I didn't trigger the cutscene yet, should he still be available for covenant leveling?

knitoe

corrosivefrost said:
Buy homeward bones. Or learn the homeward miracle.
As you exit the elevator down, trigger the switch so it goes back up.
Gold serpent ring + 30 humanity.
If you're feeling lucky/brave, farm both. Otherwise just farm the one by herself and warp.

I'm curious, why do you want the ghost blade?
From accounts told here, it's not required for the rare weapon trophy... and general consensus is that the ghost blades suck, I think.
What? Guide says it's required for the Knight's Honor achievement.

captscience said:
Hoping to get some post patch character build advice. I'm pretty early in the game and I'm totally obsessed! Just beat Capra as a SL28 Pyromancer.

I'm only interested in a single PvE playthrough and as a weaksauce gamer, I want to make the experience as easy as possible.

My plan was to keep STR and DEX to a minimum to wield elemental weapons and pump VIT (17) and END(17). With the new nerfs should I focus on DEX?

Is it worth putting a few points in INT to get Cast Light and other spells that help out later?

The bump to DEX with the new patch doesn't seem that big. Even if it is, it probably won't help much until you are further along. I went through mostly upgrading VIT and END (Dex is at 24 and STR is at 20 for some weapon requirements I ended up not needing). The elemental weapons hit pretty hard on your first trip through.

hsukardi

Important question - does anyone know how to switch locked-on targets? In Demons Souls you could do it by moving your right stick. I can't do it at all in Dark Souls and it's destroying my multi-enemy battle play.

BigAT

Is there anyway to ascend out of Gravelord Nito's area to the spot you drop down from?

Also, is the best spot in the game to farm humanity those little skeletons before him?

Zzoram

hsukardi said:
Important question - does anyone know how to switch locked-on targets? In Demons Souls you could do it by moving your right stick. I can't do it at all in Dark Souls and it's destroying my multi-enemy battle play.

IT still works but is wonky. You just tap the right stick until it works. The patch 1.04 will apparently fix it, which should be out any day now.

hsukardi

Zzoram said:
IT still works but is wonky. You just tap the right stick until it works. The patch 1.04 will apparently fix it, which should be out any day now.

Damn. You sure? It's pissing me off like crazy.

I am looking forward to this 1.04 patch : ) THanks ZZ

scy

prodystopian said:
The bump to DEX with the new patch doesn't seem that big. Even if it is, it probably won't help much until you are further along. I went through mostly upgrading VIT and END (Dex is at 24 and STR is at 20 for some weapon requirements I ended up not needing). The elemental weapons hit pretty hard on your first trip through.

Numbers posted seem to be a rather big change. The small drop in Lightning weapons is nice and keep in mind that STR/DEX weapons are doing those numbers without split damage. 50 STR or DEX is shaping up to be a rather good option, especially with the availability of weapon buffs (though, whether or not it's worth 25 INT for Crystal Magic Weapon is another matter entirely). Looking forward to some hands-on number crunching whenever the patch hits.

Citizen K said:
Does he do from 6 onwards? Anywhere I can look at this info? Didn't seem to say that on the wiki.

Blacksmiths only matter for the Ascensions (i.e., 5 -> 6, 10 -> 11, 5 -> Magic/Divine/Fire); anybody can do the rest of them, including yourself with the appropriate items.

mattp

Zzoram said:
you dont just "tap the stick til it works"
you realize it's double tap in dark souls right?

don't me wrong, i think it's stupid and demon's souls did it way better, but it's just double tap this time instead of single

mattp said:
you dont just "tap the stick til it works"
you realize it's double tap in dark souls right?

don't me wrong, i think it's stupid and demon's souls did it way better, but it's just double tap this time instead of single
No it isn't. You only need to single tap, it's just that the wonkiness has convinced some people that they need to hit it twice for some reason.

mattp

The_Darkest_Red said:
Why wouldn't it?
i mean just moving the right stick in the direction never switches targets for me, but double tapping it in the direction seems to always work

edit: you edited haha. hmm, you might be right

scy said:
Numbers posted seem to be a rather big change. The small drop in Lightning weapons is nice and keep in mind that STR/DEX weapons are doing those numbers without split damage. 50 STR or DEX is shaping up to be a rather good option, especially with the availability of weapon buffs (though, whether or not it's worth 25 INT for Crystal Magic Weapon is another matter entirely). Looking forward to some hands-on number crunching whenever the patch hits.

Same. The nerfs to the elemental weapons aren't that bad, though and I don't remember thinking my Lightning Iaito was ever not hitting hard enough in my first playthrough.

mattp said:
i mean just moving the right stick in the direction never switches targets for me, but double tapping it in the direction seems to always work

edit: you edited haha. hmm, you might be right
One flick works for me almost every time.

Wallachia

Finally got my NAT Type 3 to NAT Type 1! Summoning is working way better now.

Question: I have the red soap stone. So is that a way to invite another player to allow you in to fight them?

How do you go about invading someone in a surprise way? Is that only a certain Covenant? Thanks.

Ken

Wallachia said:

Question: I have the red soap stone. So is that a way to invite another player to allow you in to fight them?

How do you go about invading someone in a surprise way? Is that only a certain Covenant? Thanks.

Guide says that invading through the Red Eye Orb will not warn the opponent.

Zzoram

BigAT said:
Is there anyway to ascend out of Gravelord Nito's area to the spot you drop down from?

Also, is the best spot in the game to farm humanity those little skeletons before him?

Nope, once you're down you have to bonfire warp out.

Those respawning baby skeletons drop the most humanity of any enemy, best place to farm it.

scy

sleepykyo said:
What about the repair spell?

Nothing will repair it besides Upgrading and that's more just due to how upgrading itself works. It's probably not intentional, to be honest.

prodystopian said:
Same. The nerfs to the elemental weapons aren't that bad, though and I don't remember thinking my Lightning Iaito was ever not hitting hard enough in my first playthrough.

Honestly never thought my Enchanted or Occults weren't doing enough PvE wise, though I had a Lightning weapon on hand for certain things; Lightning didn't get a huge nerf (if any? Some are saying it's still 555%) but it's at least enough to make it not the best option even at 50 STR/DEX/INT/Faith.

Sullichin

test_account said:
Is it possible to summon help for every boss in the game? Mostly thinking about for 4 Kings right now.

I didn't find 4 kings hard, somehow beat this on my first try. Just get very close and wail on one until it dies, keeping stamina in mind. It seemed much more dangerous when I was far away.

Zzoram said:
Nope, once you're down you have to bonfire warp out.

Those respawning baby skeletons drop the most humanity of any enemy, best place to farm it.

Careful, their drops vanish quickly. It took me a while to realize that. I wonder if it's because of the constant spawning of enemies.

scy said:
Honestly never thought my Enchanted or Occults weren't doing enough PvE wise, though I had a Lightning weapon on hand for certain things; Lightning didn't get a huge nerf (if any? Some are saying it's still 555%) but it's at least enough to make it not the best option even at 50 STR/DEX/INT/Faith.

True, but I never got close to 50 Dex on my first playthrough (and even now at Anor Londo boss on NG+).

god NG+ is so easy in the early stages. took me about 15 mins to get from the start till i rang the first bell. now to take on the stray demon again and head to the depths.

all bosses are being one shotted by crystal soul mass with bellowing dragonquest ring....

Phat Michael said:
god NG+ is so easy in the early stages. took me about 15 mins to get from the start till i rang the first bell. now to take on the stray demon again and head to the depths.

all bosses are being one shotted by crystal soul mass with bellowing dragonquest ring....
Aren't you like SL 500 or something by now? I mean I agree about it being fairly easy early on but I would imagine that has something to do with it...

kodt

Banned
The_Darkest_Red said:
Aren't you like SL 500 or something by now? I mean I agree about it being fairly easy early on but I would imagine that has something to do with it...

SL500 doesn't seem to make that overpowered really. Since most stats don't do crap after 40-50.

Even with max vitality and endurance you can still die in 2-3 hits from many bosses like Stray Demon, and you still run out of endurance after 4-5 slashes.

kodt said:
SL500 doesn't seem to make that overpowered really. Since most stats don't do crap after 40-50.

Even with max vitality and endurance you can still die in 2-3 hits from many bosses like Stray Demon, and you still run out of endurance after 4-5 slashes.
Sure but having max vitality, endurance, resistance, and whatever offensive stats you want certainly wouldn't hurt anything. SL 500 is an exaggeration, though, I'm sure 200 or so would be enough to get a similar effect.

Finalow

the fuck, really. new londo ruins: at level 139 i can find a lot of people to summon and invasions every minute. at level 90 not a shit.

Wallachia

Ken said:
Guide says that invading through the Red Eye Orb will not warn the opponent.

Thanks for confirming. Duh..

Oh and some dude invaded me last nite, he had Ring of Fog.. totally cheesed me in his poser raggedy wraith outfit, and the did the gesture where you hold your hands like 'what'. Fucking pissed me off. Yeah man, great job.

test_account

XP-39C²
Sullichin said:
I didn't find 4 kings hard, somehow beat this on my first try. Just get very close and wail on one until it dies, keeping stamina in mind. It seemed much more dangerous when I was far away.
Yeah, it isnt that hard, but it is more annoying :) I have already beaten the game, i'm on NG+ now. It is also boring to run all the way from Firelink Shrine everytime i die (unless there is a hidden bonfire in New Londo Ruins that i missed).

I also have quite low stamina (i focused my upgrades almost exclusively into Intelligence), which means that i can wear heavy armor without moving pretty slow. I die after 2 hits on 4 Kings. If i get hit the first time and try to use an Estus flask, i then usually gets hit again, and then i die.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Kind of surprised at the 4 kings difficulty people are having, especially on the first playthrough. Watched a guy do it at SL 1 last night on a stream melee only...no iron flesh or magic. It was pretty badass.

Oh COME ON.

I find Big Hat Logan sitting near the firelink & he WILL NOT SELL ME ANY SPELLS!

He just ends the conversation with, "I'm glad you're alive".

Do I need to pump up my faith or intelligence to get him to sell?

Sullichin

test_account said:
Yeah, it isnt that hard, but it is more annoying :) I have already beaten the game, i'm on NG+ now. It is also boring to run all the way from Firelink Shrine everytime i die (unless there is a hidden bonfire in New Londo Ruins that i missed).

I also have quite low stamina (i focused my upgrades almost exclusively into Intelligence), which means that i can wear heavy armor without moving pretty slow. I die after 2 hits on 4 Kings. If i get hit the first time and try to use an Estus flask, i then usually gets hit again, and then i die.

Yeah my strategy won't work in that case, good luck. I definitely needed to be on top of my stamina game in that fight and I was wearing mostly havel's armor with the eagle shield, lots of poise.

KoreanBarbecue said:
^bump up you INT.

Screw
Gwyn
on NG+. That is all.

Had enough problems with this guy on my first run through, I feel like NG+ would just be impossible.

Xanathus

Just had a bunch of hilariously entertaining invasion sessions in Undead Parish with my SL1 Pyro. What I'd do is hit the host with Toxic Mist, and if he gets poisoned I play hide and seek with him. None of the players at that stage carry the herbs for toxic, and apparently none of them know that they can just proceed through the boss door while being invaded. It's surprising how much space there is in Undead Parish to run around, the co-op/invasion zone stretches all the way from the church to the Sunbro bonfire.

Zzoram

rushing hard parts of NG+ before the nerfs hit

Just want to get my platinum, then I'll make a pure melee PvP badass post patch

test_account

XP-39C²
Sullichin said:
Yeah my strategy won't work in that case, good luck. I definitely needed to be on top of my stamina game in that fight and I was wearing mostly havel's armor with the eagle shield, lots of poise.
I think my stamina level is 16 if i recall correctly, so it isnt very high :) I also read that patch 1.04 decrease the magic damage, so i'm not going to update the game yet, unless it is possible to summon help for all bosses.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
When the patch hits I'm sorely tempted to make a pure PvP build. With the Cracked Red Eye Orb glitch fixed I could stock up on them, join the Warriors of Sunlight, then go somewhere, throw my co-op sign down, and if there are no takers in a couple of minutes just invade.

Will I be an ally or an enemy? That is up to fate to decide, not I.

Wallachia said:

Where are you seeing what NAT level you have, PS3 settings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom