• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xanathus

Sullichin said:
The problem is if you mess up once you get pretty fucked :/ But parry/riposte is how I wound up beating him.
And that's where Iron Skin and G. Magic Shield comes into play. If you're going to cheese, might as well go all the way.

Quote said:
Where are you seeing what NAT level you have, PS3 settings?
Network Settings, there should be a menu option labeled "Status" or something.

Sullichin said:
The problem is if you mess up once you get pretty fucked :/ But parry/riposte is how I wound up beating him.

Sigh, OK, I'm going in. Not very confident in my parry/riposte abilities...

...and dead. That didn't go well. I feel like my parry animations are just too slow.

sixghost

KoreanBarbecue said:

...and dead. That didn't go well. I feel like my parry animations are just too slow.
Iron Skin + Pyromancy did the trick for me.

Getting the good ending for Solaire, and summoning him for the fight makes it much easier as well. He will take a ton of the heat off, since Gwyn won't be in your face the entire fight.
purg3 said:
Kind of surprised at the 4 kings difficulty people are having, especially on the first playthrough. Watched a guy do it at SL 1 last night on a stream melee only...no iron flesh or magic. It was pretty badass.
How did he do it? It seems like it would be up to luck at that low a level. It would be doable if they did nothing but their melee attacks, but if they start using any of their magic attacks or the grab too often, there's literally nothing you can do about it as even if you dodge them every single time it will end up wasting too much time, and you'll be stuck fighting 2-3 kings.

ixix said:
When the patch hits I'm sorely tempted to make a pure PvP build. With the Cracked Red Eye Orb glitch fixed I could stock up on them, join the Warriors of Sunlight, then go somewhere, throw my co-op sign down, and if there are no takers in a couple of minutes just invade.

Will I be an ally or an enemy? That is up to fate to decide, not I.

Btw reading through item descriptions when I stumbled upon this:

Bequeathed Lord Soul Shard

Soul of one of the Four Kings, who fell to Dark. A fragment of a Lord Soul discovered at the dawn of the Age of Fire.

Lord Gwyn recognized the foresight of these four great leaders of New Londo, and granted them their ranks and the fragments of a great soul.

Does this mean Gwyn was the one who made the Four Kings, well, Kings?

sixghost said:

Getting the good ending for Solaire, and summoning him for the fight makes it much easier as well. He will take a ton of the heat off, since Gwyn won't be in your face the entire fight.

You talking first playthrough or NG+? I'm on NG+ and it seems like his hits do WAY more damage this time around, maybe even more than Iron Flesh can legitimately handle.

sixghost

KoreanBarbecue said:
You talking first playthrough or NG+? I'm on NG+ and it seems like his hits do WAY more damage this time around, maybe even more than Iron Flesh can legitimately handle.
Oh, that was NG. I'm not sure if that would work in NG+

BigAT

Question about the end of Big Hat Logan's path:

I bought all of his spells off him in Duke's Archive so that he would go hollow. I warped out and on my way back in I went to where he is in Seath's room and killed him. I read though that there should be a treasure chest where he used to be in the Archives, but I went there after killing him and there was nothing. Did I screw things up by killing him before grabbing the chest?

Edit: Never mind, just had to reload my game apparently.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Ha ha ha, I just realized something really obvious that I completely overlooked when I made the NPC Phantom Bonus Round. You know how I speculated that Xanthous King Jeremiah was an homage to The King in Yellow?

Xanthous means yellow. His name is Yellow King Jeremiah.

Mortrialus said:
Btw reading through item descriptions when I stumbled upon this:

Does this mean Gwyn was the one who made the Four Kings, well, Kings?

Why yes, indeed it does. I'll add that to the next revision, whenever I get done with it. It's kind of taking me a while since I've been sort of using most of my Dark Souls playing time getting a last hurrah of cheesy pre-patch PvP in and half-assedly taking a stab at the Platinum.

Good eye. Thanks for pointing that out.

johntown

Banned
BigAT said:
Question about the end of Big Hat Logan's path:

I bought all of his spells off him in Duke's Archive so that he would go hollow. I warped out and on my way back in I went to where he is in Seath's room and killed him. I read though that there should be a treasure chest where he used to be in the Archives, but I went there after killing him and there was nothing. Did I screw things up by killing him before grabbing the chest?
Quit the game and reload

TommyT

ixix said:
When the patch hits I'm sorely tempted to make a pure PvP build. With the Cracked Red Eye Orb glitch fixed I could stock up on them, join the Warriors of Sunlight, then go somewhere, throw my co-op sign down, and if there are no takers in a couple of minutes just invade.

Will I be an ally or an enemy? That is up to fate to decide, not I.

So what would be a 'pure pvp build'?

purg3

slept with Malkin
sixghost said:

How did he do it? It seems like it would be up to luck at that low a level. It would be doable if they did nothing but their melee attacks, but if they start using any of their magic attacks or the grab too often, there's literally nothing you can do about it as even if you dodge them every single time it will end up wasting too much time, and you'll be stuck fighting 2-3 kings.
He used the starting pyro hand axe that was upgraded to lightening. Got pretty lucky because it probably took an hour for him to finally beat them. Dude was pretty good at reading their attacks and dodging, it becomes an issue if you take too long on one and the other gets in range.

Wallachia

Quote said:
Where are you seeing what NAT level you have, PS3 settings?

Under Internet Settings.. you can see it there when you set-up/test connection. I called Motorola and they helped me work with the router to open up a direct open port to the PS3, using its' MAC address.

johntown

Banned
ixix said:
Ha ha ha, I just realized something really obvious that I completely overlooked when I made the NPC Phantom Bonus Round. You know how I speculated that Xanthous King Jeremiah was an homage to The King in Yellow?

Xanthous means yellow. His name is Yellow King Jeremiah.

Why yes, indeed it does. I'll add that to the next revision, whenever I get done with it. It's kind of taking me a while since I've been sort of using most of my Dark Souls playing time getting a last hurrah of cheesy pre-patch PvP in and half-assedly taking a stab at the Platinum.

Good eye. Thanks for pointing that out.
Reading your phantom post I think Knight Laurtec is the Yurt the Silent Chief of Dark Souls.

Blighttown... Blehhh i made it down to the bottom multiple times. Each time i would die shortly after i got back down recovering the previous bloodstain. What used to be a bloodstain of a paltry 6k souls became a bloodstain of 30k+ souls.. game is brutal, lost that stain... Still love the game...

Am I a masochist? :p

Sullichin

Xanathus said:
And that's where Iron Skin and G. Magic Shield comes into play. If you're going to cheese, might as well go all the way.

Network Settings, there should be a menu option labeled "Status" or something.

I didn't feel like this was "cheesing" in any way, seemed like the intended way to beat the boss really. Otherwise you barely have a chance to ever attack. I would just block and dodge until he tried to do the throw and then poke in one hit. Lame.

sleepykyo

Phat Michael said:
ugh..in blighttown again..you forget how much this stage sucks ass.

I don't think I ever went through blighttown via the depts after the first run of set and just opted for the valley of the drakes route.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
TommyT said:
So what would be a 'pure pvp build'?

Level-suppressed character relying on non-scaling weapons and Pyromancy. I was thinking of going super minimalist, with my equipment consisting entirely of the Xanthous Robes, a Shotel, and a Pyromancer's Flame.

Barely even counts as a "build," really.

tokkun said:
Put all of your points into INT.

This is also an option, but I've already got a character like that.

johntown said:
Reading your phantom post I think Knight Laurtec is the Yurt the Silent Chief of Dark Souls.

There was a bit of discussion about that very subject after I first made that post, actually.

Basically: Kirk -> Yurt's a bit of a stretch, but I was playing pretty fast and loose with that post, I don't think it's impossible for them to both be Yurt homages, and I suspect Lautrec's similarities are mostly there to fool you into locking yourself out of a sidequest.

StMeph

Sullichin said:
I didn't feel like this was "cheesing" in any way, seemed like the intended way to beat the boss really. Otherwise you barely have a chance to ever attack. I would just block and dodge until he tried to do the throw and then poke in one hit. Lame.

Great Magic Shield is busted 100%. It's intended to bestow 100% block value to your shield across all damage types, but you have to BLOCK to do it. Not blocking and still gaining 100% defense would never be intended in Dark Souls.

You need to parry Gwyn. That's how you're supposed to beat him. Of course there are other ways to do it, but parrying is the most effective.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Saw some people hating on the Jagged Ghost Blade and I just wanted to mention it's my favorite weapon in the game (not having acquired my true favorite, claws, due to my overzealous desire for the ninja flip ring). Obviously it is outpaced for damage by lightning weapons and so forth but I love its moveset and the way it looks when you dual-wield them. I've upgraded one to +4 and find it really satisfying to use well.

deim0s

Wow... invasion, TWOP + fireball cheese or using the force miracle to break you then fireball. Wondering, if why I get blue phantom invasions... is it because I joined the Darkwraith and the Darkmoon are hunting me as well?

I don't see my name on the book.

:/

Sullichin

StMeph said:
Great Magic Shield is busted 100%. It's intended to bestow 100% block value to your shield across all damage types, but you have to BLOCK to do it. Not blocking and still gaining 100% defense would never be intended in Dark Souls.

You need to parry Gwyn. That's how you're supposed to beat him. Of course there are other ways to do it, but parrying is the most effective.

I never used the great magic shield or even heard of it. I just meant that parrying him wasn't cheesing, it's still hard.

StMeph

Sullichin said:
I never used the great magic shield or even heard of it. I just meant that parrying him wasn't cheesing, it's still hard.

Hmm. Yes, reading back, I seem to be addressing something that never existed. From the context of that one post, it seemed like you were defending Great Magic Shield.

My apologies.

Wallachia

deim0s said:
Wow... invasion, TWOP + fireball cheese or using the force miracle to break you then fireball. Wondering, if why I get blue phantom invasions... is it because I joined the Darkwraith and the Darkmoon are hunting me as well?

I was wondering that too.. what does the BLUE invader mean, vs. RED?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Wallachia said:
I was wondering that too.. what does the BLUE invader mean, vs. RED?
Blue invaders are either the Blades of the Darkmoon or Forest Hunters if you're in the forest.

Red invaders are your run of the mill douchebags and Darkwraiths.

Zzoram

You only get invaded by Blues if you have sin, either from killing innocent NPCs or from being indicted after invading someone else.

johntown

Banned
deim0s said:

If you made Anor Londo dark then they will come for you too.

Ok, this Gwyn NG+ fight is driving me crazy. Tried Iron Flesh, and it just made me easier for him to grab for his big attack. His attacks deal me damage through my Hollow Soldier Shield+10 and he just constantly chases me around, whittling at my health, reducing my Stamina to nothing. Sigh.

Dresden

KoreanBarbecue said:
Ok, this Gwyn NG+ fight is driving me crazy. Tried Iron Flesh, and it just made me easier for him to grab for his big attack. His attacks deal me damage through my Hollow Soldier Shield+10 and he just constantly chases me around, whittling at my health, reducing my Stamina to nothing. Sigh.
Get a better shield that blocks fire damage, like the black knight shield, which you can farm for in the Kiln.

deim0s

johntown said:
If you made Anor Londo dark then they will come for you too.

Got it. That must be it.

Worst thing that happened to me... Catacombs smithy died, didn't notice that 3 lolling skeletons followed me to him.

They ran past me and rolled on him instead. No more fire upgrades on this playthrough. :/

KoreanBarbecue said:

Parry. Parry until he is dead.

deim0s

See You Next Wednesday said:
Did anyone else run into the problem of Big Hat Logan not selling you any spells?
What do I need to do?

The official strategy guides tells me nothing.

Up your INT.

Sullichin

StMeph said:
Hmm. Yes, reading back, I seem to be addressing something that never existed. From the context of that one post, it seemed like you were defending Great Magic Shield.

My apologies.

No need to apologize, I understand why you would think I was talking about that shield from the context.

KoreanBarbecue said:

A couple of points from someone who was stuck on this boss for three hours:

I didn't parry/riposte much in my playthrough, but the black knights before the boss are an excellent place to practice. I found the timing pretty similar to Gwynn's attacks too. The knights also drop a shield which is great for this battle: 95% fire resistance and you can parry with it. Snatch that up and up the stability by upgrading it as much as you can (takes twinkling titanite iirc). I was using an eagle shield for most of the game and had to switch to the black knight shield for this battle.

if you have it, cast iron flesh in the beginning. this will allow you to get the timing of the parrying while giving you some room for error. I wouldn't use it more than once actually though, you don't want it to run out when you're right on top of this guy as his throw attack will seriously fuck you up.

Also, don't even try to heal unless he's recovering from his throw or kick animation or he's 100% stuck behind a pillar...if you dont need to heal you can get an attack in during his throw recovery.

Iron flesh or not, block his initial attack, and then you can parry his very next horiztonal swing. Definitely took me a lot of practice. Good luck!

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
deim0s said:
Got it. That must be it.

Worst thing that happened to me... Catacombs smithy died, didn't notice that 3 lolling skeletons are followed me to him.

They ran past me and rolled on him instead. No more fire upgrades on this playthrough. :/
Same thing happened to me more or less except I tried to save him by attacking the skeletons and the very tip of my Zweihander caught the blacksmith as well. He got pissed and came after me so I had to put him down. Sucks.

Wallachia

Hawkian said:
Blue invaders are either the Blades of the Darkmoon or Forest Hunters if you're in the forest.

Red invaders are your run of the mill douchebags and Darkwraiths.

Cool thanks. The answers never stop unravelling. Love it.

sixghost said:
Have any of the mods said why the thread is going to Community again? Didn't they just decide against this like 2 weeks ago?

They're jealous of all the attention Dark Souls is getting :(

I think it has to do when threads get too big after the initial release & the rest of the conversation is just social stuff & not about the game (or something, there is a sticky for this).

UFRA

See You Next Wednesday said:
Did anyone else run into the problem of Big Hat Logan not selling you any spells?
What do I need to do?

The official strategy guides tells me nothing.

It does say that you need 15 INT to talk to him. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom