• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raw64life

YOU DEFEATED. 62 hours and change. Basically agree with what everyone else said about the end game. Lost Izalith was a mess that I used the shortcut on without hesitation and didn't even bother exploring, and the final area is just a wasteland. 5 seconds after the name of the place flashed on the screen I noticed the entrance go gray, which means I'm about to get invaded, except it kept not working and I had to deal with a screen popping up that said "Failed to create session" over and over again. And there really isn't anything to say about the ending as it barely qualifies as an ending at all. And I'm still super pissed that I lost Siegmeyer
in the Lost Izalith as he instantly died as soon as he hit the swamp for whatever reason. Can't wait for a video to pop up so I can see what I did wrong
. I was able to complete Solaire's path however and was able to
summon him to help me fight Gwyn, which made the fight a cakewalk
. Will probably do a NG+ sooner or later but for now Batman awaits. Certainly has big shoes to fill as Dark Souls is far and away my GOTY right now.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Hawkian said:
Could've used your help against a phantom invasion right outside the door :p Take 3...

My summon sign is sitting in front of the lever at the beginning of the path leading to the staircase right this minute.

If you summon me before QisTopTier invades you I can hit him with my trusty Deadly Vase Technique.

ixix said:
It's not that bad rocking out without magic. I think I cast all of about a dozen Fireballs throughout the entirety of my first character's existence and soloed all the bosses.

I'm having an easier time with my sorcery-oriented current character, but that's as much down to knowing all their patterns this time around as anything else.

Orstein/Smough would be more tedious without magic, I just love hyperbole.

ixix

Kyoufu said:
Shield isn't getting nerfed. It leaves you open to punishment! Yeah it does a ton of damage, but so does everything else in the game (pyro, magic, weapons).

I seriously doubt it's supposed to deal damage based on your right hand weapon. I'd say it's a 50/50 on it getting fixed.

Zefah said:
Explain or link to an explanation please!

Shield dishes out a fuckton of damage - it's not useful in every situation, but when it's appropriate to use it - it's a world of hurt.

Made the boss fight in Anor Londo a joke when I had another player with me to distract them while I whipped it out. I also used it as a phantom in some other bosses to make quick work of them.

Handy in Lost Izalith also - about two hits with it would kill most of those dino-things.

Zeliard

Hawkian said:
Killed
Lautrec
with a couple glorious ripostes.

So man. Anor Londo is fantastic for my playstyle, I ran through it like I owned the place. But the
bosses... oh boy. I do my best work one on one against targets I can backstab. I can barely take a quarter of their life off before getting overwhelmed.
Hmmm.

Zeliard? :)

What kind of weapons are you using? Try using a lightning one for Smough then just concentrate every attack on him until he's gone. He can't take much lightning damage; something like a Lightning Iaito should take chunks out of his health bar, especially an upgraded one.

Stick close to Smough and ignore Ornstein outside of keeping him in view so you can dodge or block his attacks. He likes to stay close to Smough so that shouldn't be an issue.

Second phase of the battle with Ornstein is actually tougher but the rewards are nice. If you kill Ornstein first, Smough is the second phase and drops different loot.

TheHakku

abstract alien said:
I'm like a level 31 Pyro now and STILL only have one book with eight fireballs. What am I doing wrong and how can I fix it?
Level up in attunement to increase your slots. Also, some pyromancies use more than one slot. You will be able to find and purchase more pyromancies in the game. Each spell has a set number of uses. Fireball is 8. It will never increase. They can be recharged at a bonfire.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Holy shit, Crystal Caves.

Really didn't expect a cave full of
moonlight butterflies

Not exactly sure how I feel about this. They seem avoidable.

Kyoufu

abstract alien said:
I'm like a level 31 Pyro now and STILL only have one book with eight fireballs. What am I doing wrong and how can I fix it?

You need to buy the pyro spells from the NPC outside Quelaag's lair in Blighttown, then go beat the boss in that lair and then join the covenant after it. Also spend souls on upgrading your pyro flame.

That way you'll have more nukes at your disposal.

ironcreed

Banned
Yo Gotti said:
Holy shit, Crystal Caves.

Really didn't expect a cave full of
moonlight butterflies

Not exactly sure how I feel about this. They seem avoidable.

You can avoid them. They will not attack you.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
So I was walking around Anor Londo and got myself warped
to the Painted World of Ariamis.
Question:
Can I return to this level at any time or is it sealed off for good once I encounter the boss?
I haven't decided on what to with
Priscilla
yet.

Dresden

drtomoe123 said:
I'm SL 53...where would be a good place to put out a summon stone? I haven't done much...I just got to Sen's Fortress.
The boss of Sen's Fortress would be a good place. Just place your sign before the fog door.

bone_and_sinew said:
So I was walking around Anor Londo and got myself warped
to the Painted World of Ariamis.
Question:
Can I return to this level at any time or is it sealed off for good once I encounter the boss?
I haven't decided on what to with
Priscilla
yet.

You can go back in any time you want.

ixix

Oh man, being a spiffy glowy gold phantom is so great. I actually only joined the covenant for an excuse to spam the emote, but really the blingin' character model is absolutely delightful.

cj_iwakura

No reason not to deal with that spoiler.

Also, Tomb of the Giants boss defeated. Thanks to two awesome random phantoms, first try. I love this game.

Kalnos

Banned
I Push Fat Kids said:
So my Firelink is
gone and the woman killed
. I know why but is there any way to upgrade my estus now?

Firekeeper in Anor Londo or the secret covenant NPC in blighttown

cj_iwakura

ixix said:
Oh man, being a spiffy glowy gold phantom is so great. I actually only joined the covenant for an excuse to spam the emote, but really the blingin' character model is absolutely delightful.

Do you only get to join them if you finish Solaire's path? I want that emote.

Also, why isn't there a risen fist emote? :( That was the most iconic image from the original trailer, which becomes more awesome when you realize
all the people around the fire are people you meet.

Speevy

Banned
I just want to figure out how
Quelaag is so easy after the annoying mess that is Blighttown. You'd think they would cap it off with an equally frustrating boss fight.

Dresden

cj_iwakura said:

Also, why isn't there a risen fist emote? :( That was the most iconic image from the original trailer, which becomes more awesome when you realize
Nah it's 50 faith minus 5 for each boss you helped kill as a phantom, that's the only requirement. You get the covenant at the broken altar beneath the red drake in Undead Burg.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
rogerroger22 said:
You can go back in any time you want.
Thanks. I've been spending a ton of time exploring and finding goodies and what not but I want to get back to Anor Londo and deal with it later.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dresden said:
Nah it's 50 faith minus 5 for each boss you helped kill as a phantom, that's the only requirement. You get the covenant at the broken altar beneath the red drake in Undead Burg.
Hrm, does this mean you have to kill the red drake to get to the altar?

cj_iwakura

Dresden said:

You mean the one I never killed? :(

TheHakku said:
Level up in attunement to increase your slots. Also, some pyromancies use more than one slot. You will be able to find and purchase more pyromancies in the game. Each spell has a set number of uses. Fireball is 8. It will never increase. They can be recharged at a bonfire.

Kyoufu said:
You need to buy the pyro spells from the NPC outside Quelaag's lair in Blighttown, then go beat the boss in that lair and then join the covenant after it. Also spend souls on upgrading your pyro flame.

That way you'll have more nukes at your disposal.
Cool, I'm in Blighttown right now(accidentally died with 10 grand worth of souls, gotta recover). Thanks for the info, as I was beginning to think I was doing something terribly wrong.

ixix

cj_iwakura said:

No, just kill lots of bosses with people then pray at the broken statue of
Ornstein
under where the Drake breathed fire on you lo all those many moons ago.

I use the emote for everything now. Just got summoned? Praise the sun! Killed an enemy? Praise the sun! Host found an item? Praise the sun! Sun is visible? Praise the sun! Sun is not visible? Praise the sun! Gone thirty seconds without praising the sun? Praise the sun!

Dresden

firehawk12 said:
Hrm, does this mean you have to kill the red drake to get to the altar?

cj_iwakura said:
You mean the one I never killed? :(
Nah you can just make a break for it - shoot an arrow and get it to step down onto the bridge, at which point you can just run past him and to the bonfire.

Kyoufu

cj_iwakura said:
So all I have left are the Demon Ruins and Lost Izalith. I have a good feeling!

Uh. How do I get to Demon Ruins again?

Through the Chaos Covenant bonfire, there is a passageway in there that leads to the Demon Ruins.

ixix

Dresden said:
Nah you can just make a break for it - shoot an arrow and get it to step down onto the bridge, at which point you can just run past him and to the bonfire.

You can also take the back route by way of the Firelink elevator without ever having to deal with the drake.

Dresden

ixix said:
You can also take the back route by way of the Firelink elevator without ever having to deal with the drake.
There's the gate, though, which is shut. Unless there's another way to open it besides doing the drake bridge first?

hteng

Banned
Zzoram said:
Sparing Sif was a false rumor. You have to kill him to get a ring you need to advance in the game.

you don't require the ring to advance in the game, you can just miss out on the
four kings. darkwraith path
and still finish the game.

the forest area is optional as well.

ixix

Dresden said:
There's the gate, though, which is shut. Unless there's another way to open it besides doing the drake bridge first?

If you exit by way of the front door of the church you can just pull the lever behind the gate if it's closed then head down through the area where you fought the armored boar. It's quite a bit faster than going through the burg and across the bridge, even if the drake is dead.

cj_iwakura

Kyoufu said:
Through the Chaos Covenant bonfire, there is a passageway in there that leads to the Demon Ruins.

Wow, talk about subtle. I've had this place unlocked forever and just now noticed that.

Dresden

ixix said:
If you exit by way of the front door of the church you can just pull the lever behind the gate if it's closed then head down through the area where you fought the armored boar. It's quite a bit faster than going through the burg and across the bridge, even if the drake is dead.
No, the gate by the altar itself, which was closed when I last hit up that place with my cleric. There was no other way to open that one besides going through the drake.

ixix

hteng said:

No it's not. You have to
kill the Four Kings to fill the Lordvessel and reach the final area. Killing the Moonlight Butterfly is optional, killing Sif is not.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
hteng said:

umm don't they have one of the things you need to turn in at the end to finish the game. Can't really skip that.

JRPereira

Guess I'll give up on human form for a while. I can be summoned in two minutes or less, easily, but there are never any signs up when I'm actually human. It always is quicker for an invader to show up at this point, and it's a couple of casts of combustion on a fog ring pyro before I'm dead -- if even that.

Only -barely- managed to get a couple of people up in the tomb of giants to fight nito, and I -still- got invaded during the run anyways (survived that one, at least).

Beat nito at least. I'm going to have to solo seath. Doesn't seem too terribly bad, considering I've been able to assist like 10 people there so far.

It'll be nice to wrap things up and move on to ng+.

Zeliard

hteng said:

Don't you need to kill the
Four Kings for their Lord's Soul
?

Edit: beaten with a stick

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Felix Lighter said:
That was the toughest boss battle in the game for me. It was the only fight that I got coop help for and I didn't fuck around; I brought to helpers into my world to kill those bastards.
Hooooo oh my god.

Anor Londo boss gaming bliss story:
Summoned two phantoms this time. For some reason this time we gang up on Smough. My character is great against him, dashing strike sliced him the hell up. Then we got him.... holy shit, SSJ Ornstein is fucking INSANE. I keep getting in close and slashing him, then getting absolutely wreck by his stomp. I try a third time and he STABS ME AND RAISES ME UP AND SHOCKS ME THEN THROWS ME ACROSS THE ROOM. How many moves do they give these bosses?

I barely survived that. Then just hang back and use my estus flasks as a party heal whenever my two friends get low. And they were doing amazing. They got him down to a sliver- then he does one lucky lightning stomp and they both died. I actually cried out "No!" in real life at that moment.

I ran up with my knife for a vengeance stab fully expecting to get pummeled on the way. I get off the strike and he has what looks like no life left but is still alive and stabs me. I have like three hyphens' worth of life left and no flasks. I run the hell away and face him.

I press down a few times and switch to firebombs. Roll around til he starts a stab move. Get JUST in range and throw it. My heart was pounding probably the hardest it ever has while gaming waiting to see which attack would connect first. Bam, down he goes in flames... you defeated.

This is what the game is about. Moments like these create actual memories- when you discuss the game it's not only in the vein of "hey remember this level when this happened?" but experiences that are actually unique in terms of what anyone else happened to do at that part. You can't help but feel a sense of accomplishment when you pull something like this off, a sense that often eclipses the feeling you get when you beat an entire game.

I'm no fan of hyperbole, but I have to argue that anyone who has experienced this game at its best and doesn't put it (along with Demon's Souls) among the best of all time is kidding himself. You're either impossible to please, or you're comparing the game only to Demon's Souls which, while an interesting comparison, neglects the fact that this game remains better than 98% of the other releases in the last few years. I can see getting put off in the beginning and not sticking with it... I can understand getting extremely frustrated and hating certain areas... I fully understand why people absolutely hate parts of the game, or feel like the design was neglected, or are disappointed with the ending, or whatever squabbles you might have. The truth is almost all of you keep playing, and keep playing more and more and more and more and plenty will just keep going after they beat it. It has that effect on me just like Super Mario 3 did 20 goddamn years ago.

It's truly fantastic stuff, and anybody who says otherwise is nuts.

cj_iwakura

JRPereira said:
Guess I'll give up on human form for a while. I can be summoned in two minutes or less, easily, but there are never any signs up when I'm actually human. It always is quicker for an invader to show up at this point, and it's a couple of casts of combustion on a fog ring pyro before I'm dead -- if even that.

Only -barely- managed to get a couple of people up in the tomb of giants to fight nito, and I -still- got invaded during the run anyways (survived that one, at least).

Beat nito at least. I'm going to have to solo seath. Doesn't seem too terribly bad, considering I've been able to assist like 10 people there so far.

It'll be nice to wrap things up and move on to ng+.

He's pretty easy to solo, if you bulk up. Stone armor him and be wary of the charge attack, then jump back if he's going nova. The larger the sword, the better.

ixix

Dresden said:
No, the gate by the altar itself, which was closed when I last hit up that place with my cleric. There was no other way to open that one besides going through the drake.

Oh, right. That one. Yeah, you need to at least run between the drake's legs once to get that one open. Almost forgot about that one entirely, since I missed the under the bridge route on my first character and just ran past the drake with my second.

hteng

Banned
ixix said:
No it's not. You have to
kill the Four Kings to fill the Lordvessel and reach the final area. Killing the Moonlight Butterfly is optional, killing Sif is not.

ah ok, i forgot the
four kings
carries a lord soul as well, my bad. then yea, but giving the
lordvessal to Krampt or Khaeate will result in different paths.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Zeliard said:
Smough & Ornstein was awesome indeed. Some nutter from earlier tried to criticize it as a Maneater retread.
That's... ludicrous.
you fight both simultaneously, they're completely different, and the fight is different depending on which you beat first... :p

Zeliard

Hawkian said:
That's... ludicrous.
you fight both simultaneously, they're completely different, and the fight is different depending on which you beat first... :p

I tried to explain that to him, but eh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom