• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soma

cj_iwakura said:
Lordvessel placers:

Who'd you side with? Kaathe here.
I've heard a lot of things like
Frampt is actually a bit of a bad guy of some sorts. I haven't really gotten into that but I'm gonna try to make that covenant with Kaathe on my NG+. Apparently Kaathe also gives some information on the Furtive Pygmy as well so there's that too

Zeliard

Man, the absolution guy's got quite the racket going with his extortionate prices.

cj_iwakura said:
Lordvessel placers:

Inevitably him, I think.
Frampt doesn't seem to care for me anymore since I dared to place the lordvessel on the altar without his highness' permission.

Indignant asshole decides to pass out while I'm trying to save the world and I'm ultimately to blame. Pfft.

cj_iwakura

Zeliard said:
Man, the absolution guy's got quite the racket going with his extortionate prices.

Inevitably him, I think.
Frampt doesn't seem to care for me anymore since I dared to place the lordvessel on the altar without his highness' permission.

Indignant asshole decides to pass out while I'm trying to save the world and I'm ultimately to blame. Pfft.

I expected a malevolent being of pure evil, not what I got.

Not disappointed in my choice at all.

maomaoIYP said:
Nito
is a fucking terrible boss. Absolutely no fun.

Fucking skeleton mobs = dog shit frame rate. And since the only way to get rid of the mob is to let Nito do it for you, the only effective way to fight Nito is simply Iron Flesh and tank it out. What a crappy, shitty boss fight.

Or kill the skeletons w/ a divine weapon and fight Ntio solo and it's a joke fight.

cj_iwakura said:
Lordvessel placers:

HOW do I side with Kaathe? I just finished my first playthrough. I don't even know who the hell Kaathe is?? I just know that I was disappointed in my ending

Pancho said:
Can anyone explain to me better the way of the dragon covenant? How can I use the eye thingie, and that other item how do you use it? I try to use it and my character goes all "come at me bro" but nothing happens.

Take off your helmet.

DeadFalling said:
HOW do I side with Kaathe? I just finished my first playthrough. I don't even know who the hell Kaathe is?? I just know that I was disappointed in my ending

Kill 4 kings before you place the lordvessel.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
OK i havent had time to play in forever. Sif...what am i doing? Killing not killing? Yea i know im behind work had me slammed.

cj_iwakura

Gr1mLock said:
OK i havent had time to play in forever. Sif...what am i doing? Killing not killing? Yea i know im behind work had me slammed.

Your best bet with him is to let him come to you. Defend and stay out of his range until then. When he jumps on you, wail at him.

MechaX

Riposte said:
Somehow I beat it without a shield or any magic. Maybe it isn't the boss fight which is crappy and shitty :3.

I beat the boss on my first or second try without much difficulty and I would still say the boss is a pretty crappy DPS race. It's like trying to defend Pinwheel.

Zzoram

Gr1mLock said:

Sparing Sif was a false rumor. You have to kill him to get a ring you need to advance in the game.

cj_iwakura

Zzoram said:
Sparing Sif was a false rumor. You have to kill him to get a ring you need to advance in the game.

That early image did kind of make him seem like he could've been a friendly sage type. :(

Will F

About 50 hours in. At hour 35 I was 99% sure this was going to be my game of the year. Last 15 hours has seriously opened the possibility another game might get it. They did a great job of making it emotionally draining, but I'm just not having much fun with these last few levels.

Still really like the game, but wish From had either spent some more time polishing the end game, or had just cut it out completely and spent the time making the earlier levels larger.

ironcreed

Banned
Well, I am at Gwyn and am getting destroyed. Best I can do is get him halfway down and he finds a way to plunge right through my defense and take me out. I barely even have time to heal. Huge jump in difficulty compared to all of the Lords, who were cake. Anyway, I'll try again tomorrow. Tired of getting my ass stomped by this guy.

Zeliard

My only problem with the Sif boss fight was that it was just way too easy, at least at the point I did it, which was post-Anor Lando. I had some nice gear and he wasn't really able to do anything at all. Made me feel even worse, lol.

Other than that, amazing fight. Gorgeous music and visuals, and just the way Sif fought was great and novel to watch. On NG+ I'm definitely tackling that fight earlier on.

Kyoufu

Zeliard said:
My only problem with the Sif boss fight was that it was just way too easy, at least at the point I did it, which was post-Anor Lando. I had some nice gear and he wasn't really able to do anything at all. Made me feel even worse, lol.

Other than that, amazing fight. Gorgeous music and visuals, and just the way Sif fought was great and novel to watch. On NG+ I'm definitely tackling that fight earlier on.

What did you expect from a wolf with a sword in his mouth!? Poor doggy. :(

Zeliard said:

Was sad when he
was injured, if you let him do one of his spinning sword attacks he would just fall on his side :,(

Zeliard

DeadFalling said:
Was sad when he
was injured, if you let him do one of his spinning sword attacks he would just fall on his side :,(

Yeah they really try to rub that one in. Definitely very Shadow of the Colossus.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Zeliard said:

Did it pre-Sen's Fortress and it was incredible.

ironcreed

Banned
I can't stop thinking about this final boss fight. I made it to the end and have to beat this damn thing. Screw it, I am not giving up tonight. I am going to go try again.

redhot_

ironcreed said:
I can't stop thinking about this final boss fight. I made it to the end and have to beat this damn thing. Screw it, I am not giving up tonight. I am going to go try again.

if your not going to parry him, use light armor.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hey this
helpful giant turned my blade into a Lightning Knife+3! How delightful.

Any tips for Lautrec? Want to kick his ass but it's not a fair fight grrr.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
ironcreed said:
Fight through the pain!!

Zeliard said:

Was reverse for me, he kicked my ass good for a while :lol

So I upgraded a bunch of weapons before finishing the game. Now I need 2 Red Slabs (I guess I missed the one in the wild, 1 White Slab and 2 Blue Slabs? I did bad and missed them, also need another regular slab, ugh.

i was clearly overleveled for sif when i stumbled upon him :( he hit me once or twice and got smoked by pyromancy.

didn't even get to see his patterns, what a waste.

Miroku

Crystal Ring shield is working great for helping people with smough & ornstein. Gotta farm those sunlight medals for great lighting spear!!! Just wish I could get summoned quicker, waiting around sucks

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Stray Demon in Undead Asylum II
is giving me the most savage, merciless beating I have ever received in my entire video game career. I have died more times here than the rest of the game combined. I was literally at the tipping point of rage driving to gamestop and trading the game in for Batman my vehemence was so extreme. I took the dog for a walk, cooled down... now I'm farming the zombies around the area. I will try again in a few soul levels. I will not leave this place until he falls. This motherfucker is the bane of my existance and I swear to god I will stick my sword up his fucking ass and break it off at the hilt.

I know this as fact. Before the next 60 minutes are up I will either be 20,000 souls richer or I will have a Dualshock 2 smashed into a billion pieces across my man cave.

maomaoIYP

Hawkian said:
Hey this

Take out the mage first. I killed him with a single backstab. Then parried Lautrec. You can quite safely ignore the other guy if you move fast enough.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
maomaoIYP said:
Take out the mage first. I killed him with a single backstab. Then parried Lautrec. You can quite safely ignore the other guy if you move fast enough.
That's good to know actually. Now that I have this lightning knife I'll feel more confident.
edit: Holy christ lightning backstabs are amazing.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Miroku said:
Crystal Ring shield is working great for helping people with smough & ornstein. Gotta farm those sunlight medals for great lighting spear!!! Just wish I could get summoned quicker, waiting around sucks

Which blacksmith does that?

ironcreed said:
The strategy I used to beat him was to
keep just outside of his normal attack range. I only attacked after he attempted to grab me. The trick was avoiding getting cornered and rolling away after he did his lunge attacks.
. It took awhile and there were some close calls but it worked.

hteng

Banned
ok enough about gameplay stuff. lets talk about the Lore.

i'm sure everyone who finished the game was equally confused at what the hell happened.

this is what I believe the whole story is about.
In the intro, it mentions there 4 lord souls founded the age of fire. The lord souls were
1.) Nito, gravelord
2.) Gywn, lord of Sunlight
3.) Witch of Izalith, Quenlana, bed of chaos
4.) The furtive pygmy

now we fight 1,2,3 in the game but we never really met the furtive pygmy, so who is he/she? what is he/she?

it is believed that you, the player, might be the descendant of the pygmy. If you go to the darkwraith path, you can piece together that the dark lord also has a lord soul, but never used it, instead, he/she uses the "darkness" to create the undead/hollowed people.

now remember the undead asylum? and that all undeads were corralled and locked away there? that's because of some prophecy that an undead will Kill Gywn, and so he feared all undead and locked them far away.
by the end of the game, you have the choice to take his place as the new lord of sunlight or leave and become the new darklord.

and i believe Nito is not an undead, but a dead.

TP

Hawkian said:
Hey this

Got Fireballs? I lured them all up the stairs in a group and spammed Great and Great Chaos Fireball. Only Lautrec came out alive and he had less than half his health, then I poked him with a lighting spear.

Finally stopped exploring Blighttown since I'm pretty sure I cleared its valuables. I don't get the hate towards that place. It's nowhere near as bad as the Valley of Defilement in Demon's Souls. Everything is really easy to kill, and the swamp isn't bad if you have the Rusted Iron Ring and some moss to eliminate the poisoning.

Zeliard

Is there still a way to join Way of White if Petrus @ Firelink doesn't, uh, exist in your game anymore? (That's not a spoiler by the way - I killed him.)

Mattdaddy said:
is giving me the most savage, merciless beating I have ever received in my entire video game career. I have died more times here than the rest of the game combined. I was literally at the tipping point of rage driving to gamestop and trading the game in for Batman my vehemence was so extreme. I took the dog for a walk, cooled down... now I'm farming the zombies around the area. I will try again in a few soul levels. I will not leave this place until he falls. This motherfucker is the bane of my existance and I swear to god I will stick my sword up his fucking ass and break it off at the hilt.

I know this as fact. Before the next 60 minutes are up I will either be 20,000 souls richer or I will have a Dualshock 2 smashed into a billion pieces across my man cave.

If you're going melee, use a weapon with a high bleeding effect. Also if he's one-shotting you it's probably best to just go two-handed and dodge his attacks. Try to stick behind him though be sure to roll away when you see him about to do his AOE butt stomp.

Also, I found it much more convenient in that fight to not lock on since he takes up so much screen space and you want maximum mobility.

Baha

Hawkian said:
Hey this

If you have a bow you can try pulling the caster & spear guy to you first.
The way I did it was as soon as I invaded I took out my bow and fired at the caster. If you didn't move from your spot, he won't aggro. Then I moved up to the line (where the stairs white tiles end before the checkered floor tiles) and fired again at the caster. This time it aggro'ed both the caster and the spear guy, leaving Lautrec alone. I'm not 100% sure if this was a bug or not but it's worth a shot if you have a bow and want to try fighting them separately.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Baha said:
If you have a bow you can try pulling the caster & spear guy to you first.
The way I did it was as soon as I invaded I took out my bow and fired at the caster. If you didn't move from your spot, he won't aggro. Then I moved up to the line (where the stairs white tiles end before the checkered floor tiles) and fired again at the caster. This time it aggro'ed both the caster and the spear guy, leaving Lautrec alone. I'm not 100% sure if this was a bug or not but it's worth a shot if you have a bow and want to try fighting them separately.
This + ring of fog is gonna be my strategy. Love teh stealth

Mattdaddy said:

Bleed weapon, no lock-on.

My divine iaito +5 destroyed his ass where my lightning spear +5 failed me.

Zeliard

Hawkian, just be aggressive. At the beginning of the fight I just ran up to them and started throwing down. Took down the mage, then the knight guy, then it was just down to me and
Lautrec
, and he's ultimately quite easy. If you're aggressive you can cut down their ranks pretty quickly and make the fight more manageable. They're not carrying much HP.

That fight had such an awesomely epic feel to it. Loved the intro to it to with
Lautrec and his two mates standing at the far opposite end of the huge hall

Know what a good Lava-themed level was? Solusek / Nagafens Lair in EverQuest. That zone was epic, the first time you came to the Fire Giant area was pretty awe-inspiring. I was amongst the first guilds to beat Nagafen at release - that was some epic gaming then.

soldungb-giants.jpg

Not this Lost Izalith/Demon's Ruins nonsense.

What makes these levels feel so disappointing is just how amazing the game was until this point. I don't necessarily hate this level - just feel let down by it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Zeliard said:
Hawkian, just be aggressive. At the beginning of the fight I just ran up to them and started throwing down. Took down the mage, then the knight guy, then it was just down to me and
Lautrec
, and he's ultimately quite easy. If you're aggressive you can cut down their ranks pretty quickly and make the fight more manageable. They're not carrying much HP.

That fight had such an awesomely epic feel to it. Loved the intro to it to with
Lautrec and his two mates standing at the far opposite end of the huge hall
Nice, will try this next. My stealth worked decently and I got a riposte off on him but it didn't kill him, then he shoteled me through my shield :p

edit: um could you perhaps link to that image? different game.... and it's large

rogerroger22 said:
Know what a good Lava-themed level was? Solusek / Nagafens Lair in EverQuest. That zone was epic, the first time you came to the Fire Giant area was pretty awe-inspiring. I was amongst the first guilds to beat Nagafen at release - that was some epic gaming then.

Map_nagafens_lair_2.jpg

soldungb-giants.jpg

Not this Lost Izalith/Demon's Ruins nonsense.

What makes these levels feel so disappointing is just how amazing the game was until this point. I don't necessarily hate this level - just feel let down by it.

Solb was one of my favorite zones back in the day ~ I remember getting a Crown of King Tranix during a random Naggy raid one night ... felt pretty uber ~ We actually did not kill Naggy though ( just failed for some reason ) but them giants went down pretty easily haha. I liked levitating over the lava to the giant area as opposed to going the stone spider room route .. felt like we were ambushing them.

Last thing I need now is to miss EQ..

Kyoufu said:
Demon Ruins has a respawnable Titanite Demon therefore it is the best zone in the game.

This makes me happy -- I'll be spending some time there before NG+.

Are there respawnable black knights anywhere? I still need a few of their drops (halberd, shield, great axe).

Now if only ghost blade (a stupid (B) drop, mind you) would drop... there's only 2 of the ghosts that drop it in a trip to new londo. :(

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
rogerroger22 said:
I know most people didn't play EQ2 but the zone with the crystal floors was fucking godlike. Shit was pretty much the rainbow road of MMO's oh and pvp in that zone was amazing since my group knew how to do air juggles :3

When EQ2 pvp first game out it was the best pvp in any game I ever played. My 4 other friends I made since I started that server became pretty well known at the time. I was also one of the highest level tanks period. We ended up having A RAID attack all 5 of us. We almost came out the victor, we ended up doing a retreat and 4 of us lived. 20 of them died :p

redhot_

corrosivefrost said:
This makes me happy -- I'll be spending some time there before NG+.

Are there respawnable black knights anywhere? I still need a few of their drops (halberd, shield, great axe).

the very last zone. they drop all kinds of chunks to! lol

cj_iwakura

How do you get to Demon Ruins without the Chaos shortcut? Never found the way.

Crystal Cave boss is toast. The Four Kings strategy worked like a charm.
(Tank form, run up, melee him to death.)

Shame about the tail, I didn't have the patience for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom