• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hawkian said:
Nice, will try this next. My stealth worked decently and I got a riposte off on him but it didn't kill him, then he shoteled me through my shield :p

edit: um could you perhaps link to that image? different game.... and it's large

Didn't realize the map would be so large - edited it out of my OP.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
cj_iwakura said:
How do you get to Demon Ruins without the Chaos shortcut? Never found the way.

Crystal Cave boss is toast. The Four Kings strategy worked like a charm.
(Tank form, run up, melee him to death.)

Shame about the tail, I didn't have the patience for that.
lol, you beat fire sage and just go on from there.

I know this belongs in the Community help thread, but I like pushing the OT along.

How do I parry/riposte.

So I hit R2 when they do any attack? A certain attack? Does it have to be a specific type of shield? Do I need a parry dagger?

I played through all of Demon's Souls (about 10 different characters to the mid-100's) without ever parrying, but it seems much more vital in this game, (especially when some certain
Darkwraiths
are giving me trouble)

Also, how is everyone calling the end bosses cake? I seem to get my butt handed to me by just mobs.

I have decent gear and I'm at SL54 starting my collection of the Lord souls, do I need to level up?

redhot_ said:
the very last zone. they drop all kinds of chunks to! lol

Awesome -- can I go back to the blacksmith once I enter it? Or am I trapped there? Cause I know I need a lot of chunks and slabs -- I only have the trophies for lightning and raw weapons at this point... I have a +3 occult club, a +5 divine iaito, a +2 enchanted scimitar, a +5 magic mace, a crystal halberd, and a +5 fire winged spear... I've still got a lot of upgrading to do. :\

Kyoufu

corrosivefrost said:
This makes me happy -- I'll be spending some time there before NG+.

Are there respawnable black knights anywhere? I still need a few of their drops (halberd, shield, great axe).

Now if only ghost blade (a stupid (B) drop, mind you) would drop... there's only 2 of the ghosts that drop it in a trip to new londo. :(

Yeah the final area has respawnable Black Knights of all types. You'll be swimming in the weapons.

As for the location, after the first bonfire, go down the steps, head straight to the fog wall but instead of going through fog, take a right into the shortcut to Izalith. Takes maybe 35 seconds to run to it.

The Titanite Demon hits pretty hard but easily killable.

redhot_

corrosivefrost said:
Awesome -- can I go back to the blacksmith once I enter it? Or am I trapped there? Cause I know I need a lot of chunks and slabs -- I only have the trophies for lightning and raw weapons at this point... I have a +3 occult club, a +5 divine iaito, a +2 enchanted scimitar, a +5 magic mace, a crystal halberd, and a +5 fire winged spear... I've still got a lot of upgrading to do. :\

ya just dont go in the fog, its game over if you enter(assuming you kill him lol).

Bernbaum

I have a PS3 and a 360 and enjoy playing video games on both.

I am aware that Dark Souls has a few technical hiccups.

I would like to know whether those hiccups are less apparent on one of the two consoles I own.

I assume this question has been asked before, but alas, at 3 OT's in a matter in of weeks, I hope I'll be forgiven for not wanting to trawl through a very large thread to find my answer.

RyanDG

maomaoIYP said:
Nito
is a fucking terrible boss. Absolutely no fun.

Fucking skeleton mobs = dog shit frame rate. And since the only way to get rid of the mob is to let Nito do it for you, the only effective way to fight Nito is simply Iron Flesh and tank it out. What a crappy, shitty boss fight.

Divine weapons do wonders in that fight.

Kyoufu

Bernbaum said:
I have a PS3 and a 360 and enjoy playing video games on both.

I am aware that Dark Souls has a few technical hiccups.

I would like to know whether those hiccups are less apparent on one of the two consoles I own.

I assume this question has been asked before, but alas, at 3 OT's in a matter in of weeks, I hope I'll be forgiven for not wanting to trawl through a very large thread to find my answer.

They're both identical, get it on the console you like the controller of.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Killed
Lautrec
with a couple glorious ripostes.

So man. Anor Londo is fantastic for my playstyle, I ran through it like I owned the place. But the
bosses... oh boy. I do my best work one on one against targets I can backstab. I can barely take a quarter of their life off before getting overwhelmed.
Hmmm.

Zeliard? :)

ironcreed

Banned
Beat it and got The Dark Lord ending.
I read that I should try parrying, which made it the easiest fight in the game. Just unbelievable, lol. Equipped my Black Knight Shield +2, put on Smough's fat ass armor and went to work on him as I just stood there parrying and gouging him with my Quelaag Fury Sword +4.

Some may consider this the cheese way, but I don't care. I was getting my ass handed to me straight up against him and I am really sick of dying and grinding to hell and back in this game after 62 hours. I just wanted to beat it already and had a big smile on my face the entire time while doing it. A great ride, but I am ready to move on to some of the other Fall releases for awhile.

Guys guys guys. I don't know what to do. Should I keep playing this (I'm at
Sen's Fortress
for reference, don't know how far I am) or stop and start Arkham City. Guys, guys, guys I'm dying here. :( Fucking October, man.

Dresden

Incendiary said:
Sen's Fortress
for reference, don't know how far I am) or stop and start Arkham City. Guys, guys, guys I'm dying here. :( Fucking October, man.
Arkham isn't going to go anywhere, lol. Take your time.

ironcreed

Banned
Incendiary said:
Sen's Fortress

Depends on what you want to play more. I was absolutely not going to stop until I beat it and it feels like a 10 ton anvil has been lifted off of me now that I have. I absolutely could not stop playing this game, but at the same time was ready to move on to enjoy some of the other Fall releases. So, I say just see it through to the end. As it will stick in your mind like a thorn until you beat it.

Dresden

sersteven said:
I know this belongs in the Community help thread, but I like pushing the OT along.

How do I parry/riposte.

So I hit R2 when they do any attack? A certain attack? Does it have to be a specific type of shield? Do I need a parry dagger?

I played through all of Demon's Souls (about 10 different characters to the mid-100's) without ever parrying, but it seems much more vital in this game, (especially when some certain
Darkwraiths
are giving me trouble)

Also, how is everyone calling the end bosses cake? I seem to get my butt handed to me by just mobs.

I have decent gear and I'm at SL54 starting my collection of the Lord souls, do I need to level up?
To parry you need small shields or the parrying dagger. Tbh I don't know how well shields work for parrying, I just use the dagger for fun. But yeah, hit L2 as they're winding up a swing, usually, or about to hit you (seems to depend on what weapon they're using), and when you parry you'll hear a sound effect which is the cue to hit R1 to riposte.

I was around SL50 when I started the soul collection, you should be okay.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
sersteven said:

How do I parry/riposte.

Darkwraiths
are giving me trouble)

To parry you need a shield (not a greatshield, those bash instead of parry) or a dagger in your left hand, then when an enemy attacks you hit L2 and if you time it right you'll hear a sort of whooshing sound and the enemy will be staggered. Hit R1 while they're staggered to execute a riposte with your right-hand weapon, which deals even more damage than a backstab.

Soul levels aren't really hugely important in the grand scheme of things compared to the quality of your equipment. If you're diligent about upgrading weapons and use stat increases purely to meet minimum requirements for gear you'll probably do fine. Visit those blacksmiths and pump those weapons and you'll go far.

That said, your soul level is perfectly reasonable for where you are. 50-something seems quite common for that section of the game, and is right about where my first character was at that point.

whew, finally got my sunlight maggot and latern for the Tomb, not that bad when I got a giant head flashlight :p. Also found the awesome humanity farming spot, spent ~40 min there and got 33 humanity and 140k souls. Just need to decide if I should level or not. Im at 57 right now and am afraid if I do, I won't be able to co-op anymore. Anyone know a good place to get summoned are lvl 60?

O and WOOO!! OT3 :)

Kyoufu

razgriz417 said:
whew, finally got my sunlight maggot and latern for the Tomb, not that bad when I got a giant head flashlight :p. Also found the awesome humanity farming spot, spent ~40 min there and got 33 humanity and 140k souls. Just need to decide if I should level or not. Im at 57 right now and am afraid if I do, I won't be able to co-op anymore. Anyone know a good place to get summoned are lvl 60?

O and WOOO!! OT3 :)

They are fixing that issue so I wouldn't be afraid to level honestly.

ironcreed said:
Depends on what you want to play more. I was absolutely not going to stop until I beat it and it feels like a 10 ton anvil has been lifted off of me now that I have. I absolutely could not stop playing this game, but at the same time was ready to move on to enjoy some of the other Fall releases. So, I say just see it through to the end. As it will stick in your mind like a thorn until you beat it.

I feel like Dark Souls is a mountainous challenge. I don't think I've ever been as satisfied beating a game as I was when I finally beat Demon's Souls, so I think I'm gonna end up setting Arkham aside and trying to finish this one first. Of course, I'm getting Uncharted 3 a week early due to the AMC thing and I know if I don't finish Dark Souls before that gets here, it's getting dropped in favor of Drake. So I guess I have a week time limit to get through this bad boy.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
noo #$#

aarg smough and ornstein. Went human, got help, killed ornstein and got smough down to 1/6 life. helper died. i died. :(

Bernbaum

Kyoufu said:
They're both identical, get it on the console you like the controller of.
Ok, I'll take your word for it. What's the framerate situation? Is it just the one area of the game or is it throughout?

Kyoufu

Bernbaum said:
Ok, I'll take your word for it. What's the framerate situation? Is it just the one area of the game or is it throughout?

Throughout. Not bad in some areas, extremely bad in others. Can't really avoid it.

Hawkian said:
noo #$#

aarg smough and ornstein. Went human, got help, killed ornstein and got smough down to 1/6 life. helper died. i died. :(

Pyromancy is your friend in that fight. 3 chaos great fireballs took out ornstein for me, smough was easy as hell after that.

ixix

Hawkian said:
noo #$#

If you're on PS3 and are within the range to summon a level 51 helper I'm helping people with that boss right now.

If not, good luck.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Lord_Nergal said:
Pyromancy is your friend in that fight. 3 chaos great fireballs took out ornstein for me, smough was easy as hell after that.
Yeah I'm essentially playing the game without any magic. :p

Dresden

Hawkian said:
noo #$#

Man, that reminds me of what happened earlier tonight. I got summoned in Anor Londo and he'd just started it, and I ended up helping him bash through the entire building while fending off an invasion, and in the end we killed Skinny and got the Fatty down to 15% or so before he got killed, ending the summon. :( If only I hadn't run out of spells.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I just beat the Moonlight Butterfly and got its soul. What do?

Hawkian said:
noo #$#

That was the toughest boss battle in the game for me. It was the only fight that I got coop help for and I didn't fuck around; I brought to helpers into my world to kill those bastards.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
ixix said:
If you're on PS3 and are within the range to summon a level 51 helper I'm helping people with that boss right now.

If not, good luck.
Could've used your help against a phantom invasion right outside the door :p Take 3...

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I don't see why you guys think magic is required. I pretty much melee'd my entire first play through.

Hawkian said:
Could've used your help against a phantom invasion right outside the door :p Take 3...

Well time to invade you for a bit.

Kyoufu

Dresden said:
Make the shield and abuse it before it gets nerfed?

Shield isn't getting nerfed. It leaves you open to punishment! Yeah it does a ton of damage, but so does everything else in the game (pyro, magic, weapons).

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Kyoufu said:
Shield isn't getting nerfed. It leaves you open to punishment! Yeah it does a ton of damage, but so does everything else in the game (pyro, magic, weapons).
If you get hit by it in pvp you are a derpy face

ixix

Lord_Nergal said:
You my friend, are fucked.

It's not that bad rocking out without magic. I think I cast all of about a dozen Fireballs throughout the entirety of my first character's existence and soloed all the bosses.

I'm having an easier time with my sorcery-oriented current character, but that's as much down to knowing all their patterns this time around as anything else.

BeeDog

Damn, I completely forgot that I have a Crystal Ring Shield +5. When I get back home today I'll try it on the gargoyles. :B

Dresden

Zefah said:
Explain or link to an explanation please!
The shield that you make with the soul has a special attack that launches this magic disc, which deals twice the damage of whatever weapon you're holding in your right hand. As you can imagine, this is immensely powerful in PVE.
Kyoufu said:
I dunno, I think it just deals too much damage right now. I think it can be cut down and still be pretty useful, just not the boss killer that it is now.

maomaoIYP

sersteven said:

How do I parry/riposte.

Darkwraiths
are giving me trouble)

There are three classes of shields, light, medium and heavy. Light and medium can parry, heavies bash. Most light and medium shields all have the same parry timing, it's a very small window, you press the button roughly the instant the enemy's weapon starts on it's down swing. An unarmed left hand has the same parry timing.

The parrying knife and certain light shields that are described as "meant for parrying" in their description (like the one the thief starts with) have a different parry animation and timing. When you press the button, you will hold out the shield for about a quarter of a second before the parry animation comes on. Any attacks that come into contact during this time gets parried.

You'll know you've got it to work when you hear a "THOMPPP" sound. After that just walk up to him and press attack to riposte.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom