• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

bathala

Banned
Hawkian said:
I'm not using havel's ring and I never will.

I'm using the ninja ring and swapping out the other depending on my needs. My equip load is less than 50%, which is all you need for full mobility with the ninja ring.

If I wear the helm, it puts me over the top and I can only flop roll. See the image above to see what I look like as a result.
ah alright.

any tips on taking out the fatty first? do u get closer so he won't do the cho-cho train charge.

Ooccoo

This game is SO frustrating. And yes, I played Demon's Soul too. It keeps kicking my ass even if I grinded a bit near the bridge. I seriously need to get better with combat. It took me a while to realize how to beat the first two bosses. I've played like 3 hours and I'm still at the beginning at least that's my feeling. I like the gorgeous scenery and the fact you can go anywhere (or almost). The game is BIG and rewards exploration / skill, something most developers forgot these days. I was about to throw my controller at the wall though because death comes quick - I fell so many times it's not even funny. Oh and fuck poison.

hteng

Banned
bj00rn_ said:
I'm starting to get the game now - After 15 hours of pain.. Opening up areas, learning the combat, leveling up. I'm now in the "just a few minutes more"-zone (Only 3 hours of sleep before work (on my way there now) today.. *yawn*)

Still have the same opinion though; The complete lack of info, and the harshness of the game in the beginning, the sometimes complete unforgiving and cheap moments, not good at all. I don't agree with the developers in some of their choices. I get that they were trying to elevate the feeling of accomplishment, and many in the game it actually does make sense. But the sometimes extreme ways it's done is simply not necessary. The grinding is too slow in the beginning. For that reason alone there should be a difficulty option.. There is a lack of information about everything, maybe not everything should be explained, but at least a little more.. Oh, and the camera... oh man..It's like the guy in charge of the camera and the guy in charge of the level design never spoke to eachother during the development..

With that said, the level design in this game is amazing, hats off, the way everything connects, the amazing verticality (Is that even a word..?) of the place. Overall, I love the way the game looks. Also love the "atmosphere". Like I said; I'm in the zone now, and can't wait to play it again. I'm afraid though that the cheap moments are far from done, and because of that I will never get to experience some large chunks of the game, plus the ending.. ...Should probably buy a strategy guide.. Actually, I think the game should come with a strategy guide....!

whats wrong with the camera? it's your typical 3rd person camera where you can rotate around yourself? if anything's wrong you pretty much have to blame yourself for it.

it's not unfair, punishing maybe, but definitely not unfair. I believe From wants to form a community for the game and want to encourage players helping each other, sharing information and strats. If it's your first time through, just play it as normal. I screwed myself over by using the fire keeper soul instead of reinforcing it, but i got over and am looking forward to doing more stuff in NG+.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Can anybody give me a quick synopsis on
the lordvessel, why I would or wouldn't want to give it to Frampt, and what I should be doing first?

Totalriot

The last two nights I have been trying to
cut off the tail of Seath The Scaleless
. The battle itself does not seem too be to difficult but it seems to be impossible to get his tail because most of the time it is stuck in a wall.

I figured in NG+ it will be even more difficult so it's now or never...

Hawkian said:
Can anybody give me a quick synopsis on
the lordvessel, why I would or wouldn't want to give it to Frampt, and what I should be doing first?
If you want to join the Darkwraith Covenant, you have to defeat the Four Kings before you place the Lordvessel

Pumpkins said:
Can you summon people at the start of New Londo Ruins?...
I think most lay signs on the wooden bridge at the beginning.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Cloudius12 said:
If you want to join the Darkwraith Covenant, you have to defeat the Four Kings before you place the Lordvessel
That's it? Can you still do everything else besides join that if you give it to him as soon as you can?

knitoe

The 4 Kings are hard on NG+. Kick my ass many times. I barely beat them with 1/2 life and 0/20 flask. Went all out 2 hand them with Washing Pole Fire +10. Was easy using hat strategy the first time.

What sucks afterward
I realized couldn't join the Darkwraith Convenant since I didn't go in order (wanted to farm humanity in Tomb of Giants) and put the vessel with Frampt which makes the convenient NPC not appear. Damn, wanted to get the Dark armor set. No way, I am playing NG++ for it.

Maffis

So I got a titanite chunk, and I just defeated the second boss(es). Should I save it for later (don't think I can use it without a Large Ember) for another weapon or armor? Because I got the drake sword right now (friend helped me get it).

Wool

Oh this "tranquil walk of peace" in combination with the fog ring is just too good in PvP. I can walk up all slow like a boss and slaughter them like a pig.

Also up to SL 97, anybody else up around there? I've got a good handful of areas still to do, and would like to try some co-op with a little more organization than usual.

knitoe

rdelaney said:
Oh this "tranquil walk of peace" in combination with the fog ring is just too good in PvP. I can walk up all slow like a boss and slaughter them like a pig.

Also up to SL 97, anybody else up around there? I've got a good handful of areas still to do, and would like to try some co-op with a little more organization than usual.
Is it more cheesy then Stonesword and fireball/magic spear from long range?

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Maffis said:
So I got a titanite chunk, and I just defeated the second boss(es). Should I save it for later (don't think I can use it without a Large Ember) for another weapon or armor? Because I got the drake sword right now (friend helped me get it).

You actually need Large Titanite Shards to do the Large Ember upgrades. Titanite Chunks are used for one tier beyond those. Just hold on to it for now, they're used in some very useful upgrade trees and they're a bit of a pain to farm until extremely late in the game. You'll be glad to have it when you can start upgrading items to the final upgrade tiers.

mujun

Bernbaum said:
Ok, I'll take your word for it. What's the framerate situation? Is it just the one area of the game or is it throughout?

Frame rate seems slightly better when installed on the 360 vs the PS3 version. Could be wrong though. I have played 30+ hours on both versions.

GodlyPerfection said:
ROFL!!!! So I just executed one of the best invasions ever in anor londo.

You guys know where the two silver knights with the DragonSlayer bows are? Well from that ledge there are 5 windows that look INTO the bonfire room. Well sometimes when you invade someone they just wait at the bonfire. So I was watching this guy through the windows... he was too afraid to leave. So I sent him an XBL txt message that said "I'm watching you". He stopped to send me response of "orly". And then I told him that he had "nice havel armor + spear...." and then another message that said "nice stamina ring... it's awesome". After that I dropped down onto the balcony to confront him... tossed a lloyd's talisman and then backstabbed him and stabbed him again as he was writing a reply to my msgs. lol...

I can't believe I baited him into messaging me. rofl... and I didn't even get indicted. I'm a terrible terrible person.
You sound like a complete idiot.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Hawkian said:
1. You spend 1 humanity to kindle a bonfire raising it to 10. Then that bonfire will always give 10.

2. For now, you'll unlock shortcuts that make things simpler- later you do get fast travel between bonfires.

3. These are just left by players. Lots of them are nonsense. If you see a good one, rate it (you must buy the orange soapstone from Solaire).

4. Humanity is both a commodity (an item) and a stat you keep on you. You spend one of what you have as you humanity stat to become human versus Hollow. If you die it goes to 0- but you can get it back with your souls if you recover. You keep the items when you die of course- using the item raises your humanity by 1.
1. Ok, but I'm sure I've never done the kindle thing since I was told I couldn't in hollow form

2. Nice! Kinda like Demon's then, I was getting worried :p

3. Yeah, know they are from the players but I didn't know they could leave those symbols or if there was a meaning. Bought the orange soapstone or what is called so I'll rate the good ones from now as you told me to :)

4. Ok. But why should I want to turn human? I mean, in Demon's for example you had more HP while alive, but if you died it turned the world's tendency more neutral/black/etc for example. What are the pro/cons here? Should I be super careful at how I use it? It can only be found as an item and there's a finite number in the world or it can also be bought or acquired from other means?

Btw, kinda disappointed From hasn't "improved" on the bloodstain death's replays, I'd like checking out other players' deaths but it is still useless imo since you can't gather a thing from it. Do you guys think differently and can point me out a couple of instances where that it may be true?

THANKS A LOT mate for helping me out (regardless of these other questions, seriously) :)

hteng said:
if there's a firekeeper at a bonfire, it is automatically kindled once, making them 10 flask at start. other bonfires get 5 flask at start.

Oh. I thought Firekeeper's bonfire was the name of "hub" the place? :p I do remember seeing the "ghost" of a player resting there at Firekeeper's bonfire just before me, is that why I got the 10 flasks? If players use a bonfire while I'm connected it'll get kindled? Not sure I caught what you mean there, damn.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Dash Kappei said:
4. Ok. But why should I want to turn human? I mean, in Demon's for example you had more HP while alive, but if you died it turned the world's tendency more neutral/black/etc for example. What are the pro/cons here? Should I be super careful at how I use it? It can only be found as an item and there's a finite number in the world or it can also be bought or acquired from other means?

Oh. I thought Firekeeper's bonfire was the name of "hub" the place? :p I do remember seeing the "ghost" of a player resting there at Firekeeper's bonfire just before me, is that why I got the 10 flasks? If players use a bonfire while I'm connected it'll get kindled? Not sure I caught what you mean there, damn.

You must be human to kindle a fire, you can only summon help as a human, and stockpiling humanity improves your drop rates in the entire game. There's no world tendency this time around- instead (in my opinion) there are a lot of pretty interesting NPC "plotlines" that you can pursue, leave early to your advantage, or screw up, which change things considerably. You may have heard of covenants- a lot of this has to do with them.

The name of the hub is Firelink Shrine. The girl at its heart (go down the stairs) is a firekeeper.

That bonfire if I remember right starts you out with 10 flasks to begin with.

edit: Hah yeah, I don't know why I spoilered all of my answer, it's helpful information for all new players really. Minor developments later in the game are revealed I guess.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
rance said:
Man, none of that has to be spoiler tagged at all.

It's far better for spoiler tags to be overemployed than to be underemployed, and these threads have been leaning way more towards the latter. It's a refreshing change of pace.

Booshka

Got
Smough's
armor, some dude helped me, along with Solaire. I was able to Crystal Ring cheese and throw some fireballs from afar, then go in with my Axe when he was weak.

I put on all his gear and my Skirt, and now I look like someone shopping at Wal-Mart. At least the skirt hides my FUPA.

The armor has amazing stats though.

pedr0theli0n

Neo Member
So for you guys wearing the huge crazy heavy armor... Do you have insane carryload or do you take the hit in agility? I'm trying to stay at <50% because every time I go above that I just feel so slow and clunky. Guess its just a preference?

mujun

pedr0theli0n said:
So for you guys wearing the huge crazy heavy armor... Do you have insane carryload or do you take the hit in agility? I'm trying to stay at <50% because every time I go above that I just feel so slow and clunky. Guess its just a preference?

Have you kicked Havel's ass yet?

hteng

Banned
Dash Kappei said:
you will find several bonfires that are managed by a firekeeper in the game when you progress further.

pedr0theli0n

Neo Member
mujun said:
Have you kicked Havel's ass yet?
is that the dude that gives you the ring? If so, yes, and it's helped considerably. But I'm still wondering if people play the game at >50% carryload (or whatever the term is).

Kyoufu

pedr0theli0n said:
is that the dude that gives you the ring? If so, yes, and it's helped considerably. But I'm still wondering if people play the game at >50% carryload (or whatever the term is).

Nobody plays with >50% unless they're going for a DPS zerg tactic using Iron Flesh.

pedr0theli0n said:
50% or less equip load or bust. I can't stand the slow row.

pedr0theli0n said:

I used a complete Stone Armor set with shield, practically maxed out load (like 75 out of 76?), no Havel's Ring, couldn't roll worth a damn. I actually liked feeling like an immobile tank, made me feel powerful. There's not a boss in the game that can stand up to a Iron Fleshed pyro for more than 15 seconds, anyway. I have no fighting skills so thank god for pyro.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Thanks a buch Hawkian.

Last thing: kinda bummed I chose the Ring that slowly repleneshes your HP as my starting item... I equipped it but my health never seem to regenerate?? Can't remember its name, will check that.

Off to play now, only good thing about being sick is that I don't have to go to work :D

Kyoufu

Dash Kappei said:
Thanks a buch Hawkian.

Last thing: kinda bummed I chose the Ring that slowly repleneshes your HP as my starting item... I equipped it but my health never seem to regenerate?? Can't remember its name, will check that.

Off to play now, only good thing about being sick is that I don't have to go to work :D

It gives a flat 30 HP lolz.

Kyoufu

tetrisgrammaton said:
Ah, so this thread pops up just as I get to blighttown....

Seriously, this game should not have shipped like this.

You ain't seen nuthin yet.

I'm talkin bout frames that make the community forum look like a fast mover :lol

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
tetrisgrammaton said:
Ah, so this thread pops up just as I get to blighttown....

Seriously, this game should not have shipped like this.
If you think it's unplayable you are just using it for an excuse. I've RAN through the zone, and I've done the zone the normal way. Take your time and just go slow til you learn the lay out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom