• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
This game has some lame shit in it, but the highpoints are so high, man. Some of the most memorable moments I've ever had gaming. I particularly loved the payoff for draining the water in New Londo. There's no big dramatic cutscene or any explanation, but when you go down to explore and see
all those bodies piled up and the super creepy skeletor motherfuckers coming after you
, it's just so damn dark and sinister and mysterious.

Jeo said:
So what's up with the crystal guys that randomly appear and disappear in the hollow tree?

they drop rare chunks. they're supposedly hard to kill in that area. i didn't bother with them, just got one and moved on.

you can find them in other zones as well.

Miroku

Kind of disappointed that after all that Co-Op boss killing, the great lightning spear miracle does about 60% the damage of the crystal ring shield when I've got a quelags +5 in my right hand.
The shield is hilarious against smough & ornstein though, totally trivializes that fight.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Kyoufu said:
The one that connects you to Depths/Undead Burg.
Oh wow... thanks.
I loved Ornstein's armor.

I think raising my equip load enough that I can move in this set is my next move. Then the parrying dagger...

Miroku

Hawkian said:
Oh wow... thanks.
I loved Ornstein's armor.

I think raising my equip load enough that I can move in this set is my next move. Then the parrying dagger...

I snagged the full suit of ornsteins armor and committed to wearing Havel's Ring. I can tank pretty well now, especially if I put the +50 physical defense ring in the other slot. This suit is a nice upgrade from gold hemmed for a melee build, assuming you can handle the weight.

TP

Augemitbutter said:
they drop rare chunks. they're supposedly hard to kill in that area. i didn't bother with them, just got one and moved on.

you can find them in other zones as well.

Those are lizards, what i'm seeing is people. Corpses with crystals on them in all sorts of positions.

standing, all fours, kneeling, etc.

They just appear out of nowhere and sometimes disappear as I get closer.

And yeah those lizards are real bastards
stop disappearing while i'm a mile away >=\

Quitting to the main menu gets them to respawn but the ones on the branches are hard to kill

Miroku

Jeo said:
Those are lizards, what i'm seeing is people. Corpses with crystals on them in all sorts of positions.

Those are supposedly corpses of other players that got killed by the frogs curses. I think they're covered in some sort of leafy bacterial growth or something. Looks nasty!

Kyoufu

Jeo said:

Those are other players being cursed by the frogs, I think. When they die those petrified models appear in your game.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Miroku said:
I snagged the full suit of ornsteins armor and committed to wearing Havel's Ring. I can tank pretty well now, especially if I put the +50 physical defense ring in the other slot. This suit is a nice upgrade from gold hemmed for a melee build, assuming you can handle the weight.
I'm a thief, and I'm gonna flip around in it.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Jeo said:

Quitting to the main menu gets them to respawn but the ones on the branches are hard to kill

Those are
people who've died from being cursed in their own game. They're the curse equivalent to bloodstains, basically.

sixghost

Hawkian said:
I'm a thief, and I'm gonna flip around in it.
I think if you wear the Dark Wood Grain Ring, you can do the cartwheels/flips if you are below 50%. So Havel's Ring + that ring could keep you moving pretty quickly in armor way over your 25% limit. I haven't tried this though, just heard someone mention it.

TP

Wow I hope that's true, i'm seeing a lot right now. Knowing those where other players makes breaking them fun.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I feel like such a tool.

tranquil walk and gods wraith LOL

ixix said:
If you summon me before QisTopTier invades you I can hit him with my trusty Deadly Vase Technique.
haha I was stuck in the archives so he was spared.

Been rocking the Shadow armor as of late, and I decided to just roll with the role. I think I'm gonna limit myself to just two handing my schimitar, a bow, throwing knives, and one pyromancy spell (Ninpo). I've already been pumping levels into dex. I just wish I had named my dude Ryu Hayabusa.

Just owned Quelaag with this build.

Wahz

Just got asian version p3,it stated motion sensor supported,did anyone know what its used for?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Kyoufu said:
Laugh it up now, but soon I shall rain justice on your covenant.
I'm blue right now, which doesn't matter cause blue's can invade blues.... wut.

I'll go back to red though after I get my miracle from the stupid tranny. Feels wack being a cleric with out every spell.

Kyoufu

QisTopTier said:
I'm blue right now, which doesn't matter cause blue's can invade blues.... wut.

I'll go back to red though after I get my miracle from the stupid tranny. Feels wack being a cleric with out every spell.

Where do you get the God's Wrath spell from? And what does it do?

maomaoIYP

Why the hate for Demon Ruins - Lost Izalith? I honestly felt those areas were incredible, as well as Ash Lake. I mean the game started out in a relatively tame looking castle, similar to Boletaria castle in Demon Souls, only difference being you made a trek, and found what looks like you've stepped into hell. I was absolutely blown away by the size and the beauty of those areas. Also the part where you cross into Lost Izalith, I literally went "OH. MY. GAWD."

Kyoufu

maomaoIYP said:
Why the hate for Demon Ruins - Lost Izalith? I honestly felt those areas were incredible, as well as Ash Lake. I mean the game started out in a relatively tame looking castle, similar to Boletaria castle in Demon Souls, only difference being you made a trek, and found what looks like you've stepped into hell. I was absolutely blown away by the size and the beauty of those areas. Also the part where you cross into Lost Izalith, I literally went "OH. MY. GAWD."

People hate those areas because they're difficult if you don't run from everything and they're probably burned out by that point. The areas themselves aren't different in design to any other area in the game, except the enemies aren't as easy to kill. That is my take on it, at least.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
re: ornstein's armor.

With the helm off, didn't need to add any endurance to keep all my agility. Love the Dark Wood Grain ring.

Pretty happy with how it looks, too:
S0wQd.png

I'm thinking I could roll with the slumbering dragoncrest ring to stay totally silent, switch to cloranthy for boss fights and whatever for PVP.

So the pyromancer I saved from the depths vanished, last I talked to him he said something about going to see shiva because of the spell I got, is he gone forever? I went down to blighttown and didn't see him there.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Kyoufu said:
Where do you get the God's Wrath spell from? And what does it do?
You know that force spell. Well Im at 30 faith right now with the starter cleric talisman.

Ok now imagine that force spell does 430 damage.

Ok that's god's wraith.

you get it from the npc you save in tomb of the giants.

Hawkian said:
Pretty happy with how it looks, too:
[IMGhttp://i.imgur.com/S0wQd.png[/IMG]

hahaha that's the armor combo I roll with. Shit looks like the dude from Darksiders

bathala

Banned
this is frustrating. Trying kill Smough first to get Ornstein's armor.

killing Ornstien first is no problem, but that fat ass

RoboGeorgeForeman said:
Been rocking the Shadow armor as of late, and I decided to just roll with the role. I think I'm gonna limit myself to just two handing my schimitar, a bow, throwing knives, and one pyromancy spell (Ninpo). I've already been pumping levels into dex. I just wish I had named my dude Ryu Hayabusa.

Just owned Quelaag with this build.

welcome to my first playthrough! it worked most of the time, but it didn't limit myself just to one spell, i went all out.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
bathala said:

The fight is harder the other way around. Ornstien pretty much LETS YOU beat the shit out of his fat friend

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
QisTopTier said:
hahaha that's the armor combo I roll with. Shit looks like the dude from Darksiders
That's what it is, you're so right. hahaha

Soooo should I not give
Frampt the Lordvessel yet?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I invade a mage type player, he bows, way to give away your fucking distance advantage you dumbass. Oh I felt no shame, one fucking spell cliped me for about 700 damage. sooo yeah please die :D

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
bathala said:

it was incredibly difficult even with two summons. But now I'm the most well-armored ninja ever and it was so worth it.

maomaoIYP

Kyoufu said:
People hate those areas because they're difficult if you don't run from everything and they're probably burned out by that point. The areas themselves aren't different in design to any other area in the game, except the enemies aren't as easy to kill. That is my take on it, at least.

I always kill everything! I can't progress knowing that there's some souls to earn. I thought they were fun areas too. Killing everything in Lost Izalith is actually a lot easier than it seems,
especially since those half-dragons hit each other.

Kyoufu said:

The giant T-Rex duders are the only thing that I hate about this level. Their hit-boxes are on Plesioth's level of brokenness and having to fight them near (or in) the lava only made things even more frustrating. If they had replaced that with a small town section with more Izalithian pyromancers/sorcerers (or something), I would have been a lot happier.

bathala

Banned
QisTopTier said:
The fight is harder the other way around. Ornstien pretty much LETS YOU beat the shit out of his fat friend
I can take out Ornstien with with 3 great fireballs so its faster to go one on one

also Super Ornstein, is his lighting blockable

Hawkian said:
it was incredibly difficult even with two summons. But now I'm the most well-armored ninja ever and it was so worth it.

how is the armor's roll. is tank like roll?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
bathala said:
how is the armor's roll. is tank like roll?
:lol

Rolling doesn't work like that at all... it all has to do with your equip load. And the dark wood grain ring makes things a little more complex. I wish you could see me flip around in this thing.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Noob-time again:

•How does the flasks thing work?
I started with 5 on the Firekeeper's bonfire and I don't remember how I got them to raise to 10.
Now I'm back to only 5 for my second bonfire In Undead Burg. How to I get more? And I use the Firekeeper's bonfire now will they get back to 10 or stay to 5?

•If now I want to go back to the Firekeeper's bonfire do I have to travel there again myself?
Is there a quick travel option once I start beating area's bosses?

•messages: sometimes they are symbols, called things like "Hope" or "Pray" and so on. What rhe fuck are those, what's the meaning of that?

•I've never used humanity, should I or it's too early and the game will let me know when's the right time? I don't understand how the thing works versus being alive/ghost/Black and White tendencies all being pretty clear to me in Demon's.

bathala

Banned
Hawkian said:
:lol

Rolling doesn't work like that at all... it all has to do with your equip load. And the dark wood grain ring makes things a little more complex. I wish you could see me flip around in this thing.
so u have havel's ring and protective ring equip? or havel and ninja ring

hteng

Banned
Dash Kappei said:
Noob-time again:

I started with 5 on the Firekeeper's bonfire and I don't remember how I got them to raise to 10.
Now I'm back to only 5 for my second bonfire In Undead Burg. How to I get more? And I use the Firekeeper's bonfire now will they get back to 10 or stay to 5?

•If now I want to go back to the Firekeeper's bonfire do I have to travel there again myself?

•messages: sometimes they are symbols, called things like "Hope" or "Pray" and so on. What rhe fuck are those, what's the meaning of that?

•I've never used humanity, should I or it's too early and the game will let me know when's the right time? I don't understand how the thing works versus being alive/ghost/Black and White tendencies all being pretty clear to me in Demon's.

if there's a firekeeper at a bonfire, it is automatically kindled once, making them 10 flask at start. other bonfires get 5 flask at start.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Dash Kappei said:
Noob-time again:

1. You spend 1 humanity to kindle a bonfire raising it to 10. Then that bonfire will always give 10.

2. For now, you'll unlock shortcuts that make things simpler- later you do get fast travel between bonfires.

3. These are just left by players. Lots of them are nonsense. If you see a good one, rate it (you must buy the orange soapstone from Solaire).

4. Humanity is both a commodity (an item) and a stat you keep on you. You spend one of what you have as you humanity stat to become human versus Hollow. If you die it goes to 0- but you can get it back with your souls if you recover. You keep the items when you die of course- using the item raises your humanity by 1.

bj00rn_

Banned
I'm starting to get the game now - After 15 hours of pain.. Opening up areas, learning the combat, leveling up. I'm now in the "just a few minutes more"-zone (Only 3 hours of sleep before work (on my way there now) today.. *yawn*)

Still have the same opinion though; The complete lack of info, and the harshness of the game in the beginning, the sometimes complete unforgiving and cheap moments, not good at all. I don't agree with the developers in some of their choices. I get that they were trying to elevate the feeling of accomplishment, and many in the game it actually does make sense. But the sometimes extreme ways it's done is simply not necessary. The grinding is too slow in the beginning. For that reason alone there should be a difficulty option.. There is a lack of information about everything, maybe not everything should be explained, but at least a little more.. Oh, and the camera... oh man..It's like the guy in charge of the camera and the guy in charge of the level design never spoke to eachother during the development..

With that said, the level design in this game is amazing, hats off, the way everything connects, the amazing verticality (Is that even a word..?) of the place. Overall, I love the way the game looks. Also love the "atmosphere". Like I said; I'm in the zone now, and can't wait to play it again. I'm afraid though that the cheap moments are far from done, and because of that I will never get to experience some large chunks of the game, plus the ending.. ...Should probably buy a strategy guide.. Actually, I think the game should come with a strategy guide....!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
bathala said:
so u have havel's ring and protective ring equip? or havel and ninja ring
I'm not using havel's ring and I never will.

I'm using the ninja ring and swapping out the other depending on my needs. My equip load is less than 50%, which is all you need for full mobility with the ninja ring.

If I wear the helm, it puts me over the top and I can only flop roll. See the image above to see what I look like as a result.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom