• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beat Ornstein 2nd and got his armor in NG+ solo with a +9 Fire Washing Pole.

Got my armor set now: Mask of the child, Ornstein Armor, Havel Gauntlets, Hard Leather boots +9. Stays under 50% at full stamina.

Riposte

[Moving To Community Friday] Reply to Thread

Its been fun, mates...

Dark Souls spawned an incredible amount of posts, especially if you consider all the spin-off threads. Too bad hype doesn't necessarily translate into sell-through of shipments.

Yo Gotti

Banned
MomoPufflet said:
Totally cool build, but is PvP dueling usually this gentlemanly? (no healing, etc.) I might actually do it if people are cool like this, but I'm guessing this is a JP only thing...

PVP is often this gentlemanly.

I'd say more often than not when I invade at random, if I give the host his space and don't bumrush him, I'm greeted by a bow or gesture of some kind. Same with random invasions during levels.

Can't say the same about Forest and Darkmoon invaders though, those guys are usually out for the kill.

EDIT: If you're the invader, don't bet on no healing though.

cj_iwakura

Riposte said:
Its been fun, mates...

Dark Souls spawned an incredible amount of posts, especially if you consider all the spin-off threads. Too bad hype doesn't necessarily translate into sell-through of shipments.

People are saying it didn't sell? Somehow I doubt that was a problem.

cj_iwakura said:
People are saying it didn't sell? Somehow I doubt that was a problem.
Yeah, this game is going to do well sales wise. Haters gonna hate, etc....

Just like the framerate problems mean the game doesn't deserve all the love it's getting. WHATEVER!

tokkun

MomoPufflet said:
Totally cool build, but is PvP dueling usually this gentlemanly? (no healing, etc.) I might actually do it if people are cool like this, but I'm guessing this is a JP only thing...

People heal against me all the time. It's one of the reasons that I think INT builds have an advantage in PVP, because you can just unload a Crystal Soul Spear into someone who is healing and kill them. Against a melee character, unless you are using a weapon that can stunlock them, they often gain more life healing than you take off with your counterattack. Very frustrating for DEX builds.

Yo Gotti said:
PVP is often this gentlemanly.

I'd say more often than not when I invade at random, if I give the host his space and don't bumrush him, I'm greeted by a bow or gesture of some kind. Same with random invasions during levels.

Can't say the same about Forest and Darkmoon invaders though, those guys are usually out for the kill.

EDIT: If you're the invader, don't bet on no healing though.

That is good to hear, thanks for the info.

Ourobolus said:
So for the Iaito and the Uchigatana, what's the best upgrade route? Anyone?
For Iaito I would say lightning, but with the changes coming to stat scaling in 1.04, it may end up being a buffed normal +15 (if you are a dex build). Time will tell.

Ourobolus

Banned
DigitalDevil said:
For Iaito I would say lightning, but with the changes coming to stat scaling in 1.04, it may end up being a buffed normal +15 (if you are a dex build). Time will tell.
I am a DEX build and the Uchi was my favorite weapon in DeSo, so I hope it works out similarly.

Finalow

ok, i can't play in co-op at the new londo ruins.
W H Y. W. H. Y.
do i need to drain the water to play in co-op? Does this even make sense?

i'm human, the boss is still there and no invasions or people to summon. nothing.

Ourobolus

Banned
DigitalDevil said:
I doubt you will be disappointed, but give the Iaito a try also. The moveset is amazing.
Will do. I somehow skipped it on my first run through Blighttown, so after I get back from Anor Londo I'll go snag it. Thanks.

tokkun

finalozzo said:
W H Y. W. H. Y.

i'm human, the boss is still there and no invasions or people to summon. nothing.

You can definitely challenge the boss in co-op. I got summoned a lot for help there.

finalozzo said:
W H Y. W. H. Y.

That shouldn't have any impact on your ability to co-op. Try exiting to the title screen then reloading to get in a different lobby.

Finalow

DigitalDevil said:
That shouldn't have any impact on your ability to co-op. Try exiting to the title screen then reloading to get in a different lobby.
i tried but nothing, i'm at level 95. maybe is too high for the dudes at the first run but not for the ones at the ng+ or ng++.

Finalow

Thagomizer said:
Also, is there any way for me to get Humanity before the S&O fight, outside of going back to Sen's or killing NPC's?
get summoned by someone and kill the boss or you can farm humanity with rats in the depths.

def sim

1.5 million is a lot for a game like this. Who's saying that's bad? For perspective, Gears 3 sold 3 mil and had a much, much higher budget, but is considered to have made a good profit.

scosher

Ourobolus said:
I am a DEX build and the Uchi was my favorite weapon in DeSo, so I hope it works out similarly.

I've used both extensively (Lightning Iaito, and Enchanted Uchigatana)

I think 1H, Uchigatana has the superior moveset. The 1H R2 pierce has really deceptive reach, and gives you an alternative thrust attack. The same 1H R2 for the Iaito is a quick-draw horizontal slash, but doesn't have nearly the same reach as Uchigatana, so because of that, you'll find that you mostly stick with the R1 attacks with the Iaito (no sense using a slow R2 attack that doesn't really have much more range than the R1)

2H R2, otoh, advantage goes to the Iaito. It's the same quick-draw horizontal slash, but you dash forward this time, making it very useful, especially for groups. Uchi's 2H R2 sucks and should rarely be used.

Finalow

Thagomizer said:
Wait, you can get summoned before you kill the boss yourself?

I did not know that.
i think that you can always get summoned, even if you killed the boss. (but i'm not sure)
surely you can get summoned before you kill the boss.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
finalozzo said:
W H Y. W. H. Y.

New Londo's actually one of the more active online zones in my experience. People usually put their soul signs in the courtyard just after descending the stairs, in front of the first wooden bridge, or on the stone platform between the first and second bridges.

At a soul level ~60 or so I was able to be summoned incredibly quickly, but I eventually stopped co-oping the area because people forgetting to equip the Covenant of Artorias kept breaking my heart.

If you're coming up with bupkis on the friendship front you can summon Beatrice near the entrance to the Abyss if you had her help you with the butterfly. She's not a game-winner, but she ain't half bad to have along assuming she survives the jump.

Edit: Oh, level 95? At that level I think pretty much everybody in there is looking for PvP, not jolly co-operation.

Finalow

ixix said:
Edit: Oh, level 95? At that level I think pretty much everybody in there is looking for PvP, not jolly co-operation.
the thing is: anyone tried to invade me.
and nope, with the first character i was at level 130 and i found some people to summon.
with this? NOTHING.

ixix said:
If you're coming up with bupkis on the friendship front you can summon Beatrice near the entrance to the Abyss if you had her help you with the butterfly. She's not a game-winner, but she ain't half bad to have along assuming she survives the jump.

First time I heard this, thanks! Might need her in NG+.

cj_iwakura

If I'm Chaos +2 and I join another Covenant, do I retain the +2 in Chaos if I rejoin? I don't want to give up another 30 humanity.

Finalow

cj_iwakura said:
If I'm Chaos +2 and I join another Covenant, do I retain the +2 in Chaos if I rejoin? I don't want to give up another 30 humanity.
no, you don't.
but who cares? After you get chaos firestorm and the shortcut is opened why should you be at rank 2.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
finalozzo said:
the thing is: anyone tried to invade me.
and nope, with the first pg i was at level 130 and i found some people to summon.
with this? NOTHING.

Co-op activity does seem to pick up a bit when you get to around SL 120 or so, because you tend to start picking up a lot of people in NG+ and beyond. When I ran through the place at SL 100 or so in a NG+ it was a wasteland, at 125 in NG++ it was comparatively active, with at least one summoning sign usually visible and fairly regular invasions. Hardly a scientific assessment, but it's the best I got. Patience, additional leveling, or Beatrice are probably your best bets.

Kyleripman said:
First time I heard this, thanks! Might need her in NG+.

It's a little hard to find her sign. When you emerge from the final building with the ghosts and Darkwraiths and the fog door is to your left across a narrow bridge, don't go toward it yet. Instead head right, then bear left when the path splits in two. There's a pillar right next to the edge of the cliff, and Beatrice's sign is next to it. It's pretty easy to miss if you don't know where to look. There's also a Darkwraith waiting to ambush you in an alcove, so do look out for that.

Beatrice just loves putting her soul sign in difficult locations.

Finalow

ixix said:
Co-op activity does seem to pick up a bit when you get to around SL 120 or so, because you tend to start picking up a lot of people in NG+ and beyond. When I ran through the place at SL 100 or so in a NG+ it was a wasteland, at 125 in NG++ it was comparatively active, with at least one summoning sign usually visible and fairly regular invasions. Hardly a scientific assessment, but it's the best I got. Patience, additional leveling, or Beatrice are probably your best bets.
thx, i'll try at level ~120.

cj_iwakura

finalozzo said:
no, you don't.
but who cares? After you get chaos firestorm and the shortcut is opened why should you be at rank 2.

I haven't been to the shortcut to open it yet, though.

Or will it stay openable as long as I reached Rank 2?

And I WRECKED S&O on NG+. FK, I'm terrified of.

Phenomic

QUESTION:

My PS3's Laser died (again) and I have to send it in for repairs. Any know of a way to actually keep the locked Dark Souls save data without having to buy PSN+? I really don't wanna lose this damn thing and I'm no where near in the mood to spend 18 bucks to keep some save data. On top of the 99 I have to send it in for repairs, this on top of the 120 I spent on the first time for repairs.

Could I copy the entire hard drive perhaps? Maybe there's a work around someone knows?

Kalnos

Banned
MomoPufflet said:

That's the lame way to do it, but whether or not people fight like this depends on the area. Places like the forest and where he was doing it are more likely to foster 'gentleman' fights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom