• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

2AdEPT

Thagomizer said:
Drake sword becomes LOL weak eventually. You'll know when.

Also, what the hell is wrong with the summoning? I've been sitting here for an hour now, and outside of those two right off the bat, nothing.
make sure you re-drop once in a while...staying on the same bad server too long artificially can make it seem like no one is around but usually there are enough pvpers if you consider sl and location, ...time of day is less important but you still get more hits if you are on at a time when US or Japan is at high tide.

I've had waaay more pvp than demon's and that makes sense since this game is more popular and has worldwide access. the p2p complaints are circumvented by dropping often.

2AdEPT

Nora Kisaragi said:
Can someone run an experiment on me?

I'm trying to figure out what the hell the use is for the Egg's special attack (the one where a bug comes out and bites something). I thought of something.

Can someone try using it on the Bed of Chaos boss? Maybe you can get the Blightpus that way and use it to cure the chaos covenant leader and she'll open the secret wall for you. I refuse to believe that there's nothing there dammit. It's worth a try.
you get two pyros from the egg vendor in the chaos. Get infected, wait 4 minutes, heal with vendor (gives egg0 GET POISON AND ACID MIST.

2AdEPT said:
make sure you re-drop once in a while...staying on the same bad server too long artificially can make it seem like no one is around but usually there are enough pvpers if you consider sl and location, ...time of day is less important but you still get more hits if you are on at a time when US or Japan is at high tide.

I've had waaay more pvp than demon's and that makes sense since this game is more popular and has worldwide access. the p2p complaints are circumvented by dropping often.

Have been. It's just weird when I get summoned twice in a row almost instantly (and the host gets creamed just as quickly) and then nothing for over an hour, not even a nibble.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Damn, I'm level 16 on my 2nd character that I'm setting up for the patch. Some of these guys summoning and invading at this level are already using insane builds.

Had a cheapass come invade and 1 shot our host with a Chaos Great Fireball xD, we were all like level 14-16 about to fight the gargoyles. So this is why they're nerfing pyromancy, eh?

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Nora Kisaragi said:
Can someone run an experiment on me?

I'm trying to figure out what the hell the use is for the Egg's special attack (the one where a bug comes out and bites something). I thought of something.

Can someone try using it on the Bed of Chaos boss? Maybe you can get the Blightpus that way and use it to cure the chaos covenant leader and she'll open the secret wall for you. I refuse to believe that there's nothing there dammit. It's worth a try.

Well that's an elaborate hypothesis.

By secret wall do you mean the one directly opposite where you enter the area with Quelaag's sister and Eingyi? That's where Kirk's body appears after you beat him all three times. There's nothing secret about it.

And why would the Blightpus cure her, anyhow? According to Eingyi it's what turned her into an inert arachnid in constant pain.

2AdEPT said:
you get two pyros from the egg vendor in the chaos. Get infected, wait 4 minutes, heal with vendor (gives egg0 GET POISON AND ACID MIST.

That has nothing to do with the egg's special attack, lol. Once you get infected, you can get those. If you get enough souls while infected, it enters Phase 2. In Phase 2, your kick is replaced by a special attack with a worm that's pretty much useless. It has no known use from what i'm aware of. So i'm trying to figure out what the purpose of it is, as the developers obviously put it there for a reason. Phase 2 also boosts your pyromancy so that's good too.

The fair lady got sick because she swallow the blightpus. I tried using the worm on her, she just said "Wah!". So i'm going to try using it on the Bed of Chaos next, see what happens.

That worm has to have some sort of use somewhere.

I'm also left wondering as to what the purpose is of that dinosaur in the painted world. You can get it to stand up and use that as a shortcut to the boss but other than that it's pretty much pointless.

2AdEPT

MomoPufflet said:
Did antiquated skirt just have really good defense for the weight or some hidden stat? I must have totally missed that it was good.
HUGE magic resist. HUGe curse resist. decent vs. melee damage, LIGHT weight = a must wear piece for any player type as there are lots of magicians/ magic spammers to fight out there. I could always tell who was worth hiring for PVP if they had the skirt on or not! ;p

Zzoram

Nora Kisaragi said:
That has nothing to do with the egg's special attack, lol. Once you get infected, you can get those. If you get enough souls while infected, it enters Phase 2. In Phase 2, your kick is replaced by a special attack with a worm that's pretty much useless. It has no known use from what i'm aware of. So i'm trying to figure out what the purpose of it is, as the developers obviously put it there for a reason. Phase 2 also boosts your pyromancy so that's good too.

The fair lady got sick because she swallow the blightpus. I tried using the worm on her, she just said "Wah!". So i'm going to try using it on the Bed of Chaos next, see what happens.

I'm also left wondering as to what the purpose is of that dinosaur in the painted world. You can get it to stand up and use that as a shortcut to the boss but other than that it's pretty much pointless.

I am thankful for people like you willing to go out of your way to experiment in the game hoping to find secrets to share with the rest of us lazy people.

ixix

Nora Kisaragi said:

Wait a second, wait a second.
You want to save her, so you tried stabbing her with an insect growing on your head? You certainly do know the way to a girl's horrific spider-monstrosity's heart. At least give her some flowers first I mean good god.

Edit:
Re: the dragon's derriere in the Painted World, I'm pretty sure getting it to stand up is a glitch. It only works with a jump attack, and it sends it into an endless idle animation. Don't think that's supposed to happen, quite frankly.

Zzoram

FuzzyNorman said:
Is there anything in the catacombs passed pinwheel? Should I just leave once I defeat him?

Tomb of the Giants.

There is a ladder to climb at the end of Pinwheel's chamber, it leads to another ladder. You'll know you are in the Tomb when it's pitch black.

2AdEPT

Thagomizer said:
Have been. It's just weird when I get summoned twice in a row almost instantly (and the host gets creamed just as quickly) and then nothing for over an hour, not even a nibble.
I do get annoying luls as well, but there were times on demon's where you had zero chance for a summon like late at night on a weeknight in NA. the world aspect means you have a chance no matter what time it is...As i work shifts and like to play at night on weekdays this suits me better.....I come here and read the guide while waiting and it helps pass the time! ;)

Haunted

Callibretto said:
I just got this awesome drake sword with awesome 200 attack power stat, no other weapon I find so far can compare to this sword, so should I ignore weapon upgrade until I can find better weapon? I still don't have material to upgrade drake sword, and my other weapon pales in comparison to drake sword, even upgrading it 2 or 3 times probably won't make my other weapon touch drake sword.
The Drake Sword will be your best weapon for a pretty long time. Don't bother upgrading anything else (or the Drake Sword itself).

You'll get the next OP weapon
in Sen's Fortress

edit: the don't bother comment obviously only applies if we're talking stats only. Feel free to use and upgrade any weapon you like, their handling is quite different.

vermadas

Four Kings... sigh. The first time I got down there I didn't have Iron Flesh equipped. The second time I learned the hard way that Iron Flesh does not stack with transient curse. I only have one attunement slot so I have three charges of Iron Flesh to work with. One charge lasts about as long as it takes to kill one king. So on the next attempt I have no charges left when I get to the last one. I get him down to a sliver of health but I get too aggressive and I die. On the way down for the next try I accidentally aggro two dark wraiths at once. But come out victorious. I get down to Four Kings again and once again take out the first three. I'm attempting to get close to the third one and it casts the purple fuzzy light magic. Which I can't seem to avoid. Then while I'm recovering from that he slams his sword on me and I die. I just stared at the screen in disbelief. I wanted to swear loudly and slam my fist into the couch with rage, but I was too weary for that. Instead I just shut the game off.

Dark Souls is wearing on me in a way that Demon's Souls never did. I'm starting to doubt I have the perseverance to finish it :(

Varna

vermadas said:
Four Kings... sigh. The first time I got down there I didn't have Iron Flesh equipped. The second time I learned the hard way that Iron Flesh does not stack with transient curse. I only have one attunement slot so I have three charges of Iron Flesh to work with. One charge lasts about as long as it takes to kill one king. So on the next attempt I have no charges left when I get to the last one. I get him down to a sliver of health but I get too aggressive and I die. On the way down for the next try I accidentally aggro two dark wraiths at once. But come out victorious. I get down to Four Kings again and once again take out the first three. I'm attempting to get close to the third one and it casts the purple fuzzy light magic. Which I can't seem to avoid. Then while I'm recovering from that he slams his sword on me and I die. I just stared at the screen in disbelief. I wanted to swear loudly and slam my fist into the couch with rage, but I was too weary for that. Instead I just shut the game off.

Dark Souls is wearing on me in a way that Demon's Souls never did. I'm starting to doubt I have the perseverance to finish it :(

:/ There is a way to defeat him without Iron Flesh. But if you really want to just straight up take the easy route use Greater Combustion and Strong Magic shield.

EDIT: Meant to edit. :(

Zzoram

vermadas said:

For the 4 Kings, just equip the heaviest armor you have, regardless of roll speed, since you're not really moving around anyways, just tank the hell out of them

tokkun

Varna said:
:/ There is a way to defeat him without Iron Flesh. But if you really want to just straight up take the easy route use Greater Combustion and Strong Magic shield.

EDIT: Meant to edit. :(

He said he only has one attunement slot, so that strategy won't work.

Is it mean to be invading at undead burg when they have no indictments? lol... I should stop. Maybe I'll move to Sen's Fortress. Couldn't find anyone in the Kiln today.

K' Dash

I went to kill Nito and ended up joining his covenant, I think I'll do Tomb of the giants last, is that sword he gave me any good?

nonnocere said:
I know I am way behind everyone else in this thread, but I finally beat the Witch Queen Quelaag! Hooray!

I just did yesterday too. Kept summoning people to help me out. I let them do most of the work ;)

ixix

K' Dash said:
I went to kill Nito and ended up joining his covenant, I think I'll do Tomb of the giants last, is that sword he gave me any good?

It's decent, but if you're late in the game you've got better options. If you blitz the Catacombs and get it early on a new character it's a superior early game weapon to the Drake Sword if you've got the stats for it or aren't afraid to go two-handed.

Sullichin

I'm in NG+. In Undead Parish, upstairs, was that sorcerer enemy there in a first runthrough? I remember seeing them in Duke's Archives but never there. Enemy configurations are changed or do they just have more health?

K' Dash

ixix said:
It's decent, but if you're late in the game you've got better options. If you blitz the Catacombs and get it early on a new character it's a superior early game weapon to the Drake Sword if you've got the stats for it or aren't afraid to go two-handed.

Oh, I see, then I'll just stick to my Black Knight Great Axe +5 and Lighning Iaito +5.

I just killed ceaseless discharge, I can't believe his attacks made me as much damage as the first time I tried to fight him, just after blighttown, what a bullshit boss and just 10k souls.

Eusis

He's been there all along, he just didn't respawn. And still doesn't, so that's probably why you forgot about him. Or you played co-op and your partner(s) offed him before you even saw him, whichever.

tokkun

ixix said:

One thing I've noticed about the Gravelord Sword is that it seems to have extremely good stunlock.

Ran into a dude using it in PvP, and once he hit me once I was defenseless for his next 4 or 5 blows. And that was with me wearing the Black Iron breastplate.

I think it's hilarious that Gwyevere/Gwyndolin doesn't care that you just killed her/his illusion's bodyguards, one of whom was one of her father's most important vassals.

Sullichin

Eusis said:
He's been there all along, he just didn't respawn. And still doesn't, so that's probably why you forgot about him. Or you played co-op and your partner(s) offed him before you even saw him, whichever.

I figured as much but really don't remember him lol.. I didn't do co-op in this area ever so that's not it. Guess I killed him.

purg3

slept with Malkin
nonnocere said:
I know I am way behind everyone else in this thread, but I finally beat the Witch Queen Quelaag! Hooray!

Nice, I don't know why, but I had probably the hardest time with that boss.

knitoe said:
Then, unless I am overlooking something, I have every other item listed in the guide except the ghost blade and didn't get the achievement.

Did you pick up the Crescent Axe that Patches sells/drops? That was the last one I needed and got the achievement once I bought it from him.

Four Kings NG+

What in the name of fuck? Why do they have so much health?

I tried two handing and dodging but that lasted until 2 clones spawned. Must have done 2k on the first one by then and it was still alive.

Went and tried Iron Flesh but it's practically impossible get a full use out of it what with the grab and them staying slightly out of range of combustion. Ended up having to melee for the just over third after my spells ran out but I beat them.

How would a mage fair against them with CSM and CSS? Didn't bother to try a ranged game. That might have worked too.

toasty_T said:
Four Kings NG+

I tried two handing and dodging but that lasted until 2 clones spawned. Must have done 2k on the first one by then and it was still alive.

Went and tried Iron Flesh but it's practically impossible get a full use out of it what with the grab and them staying slightly out of range of combustion. Ended up having to melee for the just over third after my spells ran out but I beat them.

How would a mage fair against them with CSM and CSS? Didn't bother to try a ranged game. That might have worked too.

I didn't think I could beat them until I cast Iron Flesh and used Crystal Homing Soulmass to rape their teeth out. :D Thanks to whichever GAFer suggested it.

So I leveled up the Dragon Covenant. Eh. The rewards could have been good but...

The Dragon Chest gives you a roar attack that acts as a shockwave and boots your attack power by almost 30%, which is actually nice and could be useful, but it doesn't last very long, 10 seconds tops. The trade off to using the chest is that you can't equip any armor, so your poise is 0. If the Dragon Chest had a bit of poise and armor, and the buff had a reasonable duration, it'd actually be worth considering, but at the moment it's just something neat to dick around with on occasion.

Fire breath still sucks though.

Oh man... that Black Knight in Kiln of the First Flame DOES drop his Black Knight Great Axe eventually right? I've run it enough times to get my Chaos, Occult, and Crystal weapons up to +9 and ready for NG++, and I have piles of the swords, greatswords, halberds, and shields. But this SOB won't drop anything for me but White ore chunks! (31 humanity + snake ring).

Oracle Dragon said:
Oh man... that Black Knight in Kiln of the First Flame DOES drop his Black Knight Great Axe eventually right? I've run it enough times to get my Chaos, Occult, and Crystal weapons up to +9 and ready for NG++, and I have piles of the swords, greatswords, halberds, and shields. But this SOB won't drop anything for me but White ore chunks! (31 humanity + snake ring).

He does, but from both mine and many other's experience with him, it's the hardest BK weapon to get.

Finally completed this last night, level 80, 58 hours. Man... talk about a experience. Loved it. I didn't find the last areas as hard as some others claimed, though Tomb of Giants did piss me off till I got the lantern, and it took me about 2 hours to beat the final boss. Other then that, great game!

ixix

I just got invaded while I was on a ladder in the Tomb of Giants. As soon as I got the notice I slid down the ladder. When I reached the bottom I clipped through the floor, fell through a gray void for a long while, then died.

I had barely even respawned at the bonfire when I got a PSN message from the invader asking me what had happened. I explained and told him that I couldn't bring myself to indict him under the circumstances. It wasn't really his fault I bit it, after all.

In my hunting of the secrets I discovered one minor thing.

It's possible to taunt the hellkite dragon to a melee battle without using ranged weapons or getting in its line of fire.

From the bonfire downstairs, if you just run up the stairs, you'll hear the dragon "snort". Cause enough of a ruckus with the skeletons (i just cast 'undead remport' a lot) and the dragon will hop on down and join the fun. He won't fly back up unless you get too far away so this is a good way for you to fight the dragon if you don't have any arrows.

This is the first "secret" i've discovered so i'll keep looking for some damn use for this worm.

I'll record a video if that helps

toasty_T said:
Four Kings NG+

Seeing as you are there fighting them, can you try something on one run, using a transient curse when fighting them? In my recent game I got down there with one still active and I swear I had an easier time fighting them, I lost in the end but it really felt like their attacks were doing less damage to me. Probably just a placebo on my part though hehe.

tokkun

Nora Kisaragi said:

It's possible to taunt the hellkite dragon to a melee battle without using ranged weapons or getting in its line of fire.

From the bonfire downstairs, if you just run up the stairs, you'll hear the dragon "snort". Cause enough of a ruckus with the skeletons (i just cast 'undead remport' a lot) and the dragon will hop on down and join the fun. He won't fly back up unless you get too far away so this is a good way for you to fight the dragon if you don't have any arrows.

This is the first "secret" i've discovered so i'll keep looking for some damn use for this worm.

All I had to do was stand on the landing just off to the side of the bridge long enough and he jumped down.

So I'm invading in Anor Londo and as I bow in the bedroom, the guy back stabs me. So I run up to the rooftop grab some silver knights and crystal ring him while he tries to block the silver knight... eventually he gets staggered and I smack him with the shield. I'm going to miss this thing after the patch. :(

Ken

Nora Kisaragi said:

I survived through two of his fire breaths and he got frustrated and flew onto the bridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom