• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
vilmer_ said:
Wow Kiln pvp is absolutely dead right now. At this time last night it was absolutely rocking...

If you're playing on PS3, I'm pretty sure it's because we're cut off from the Japanese players right now because of the patch. I was PvPing down there last night and as soon as the patch went live in Japan the action dropped off.

I figure as soon as we're on the same version as Japan again things will pick up.

Damn, the people who are summoning my for S & O suck. How the hell do you get chain comboed by f'n Smough? Solaire and myself, and he still dies on the first stage!

EDIT: another one, with two human phantoms and Solaire, drops like a rock, with the Crystal ring shield! Four people and he still gets mauled! At least he made it to the second stage...

Okay, finishing off the 100% for this game before the patch hits, so I can then concentrate on the (hopefully) much improved multiplayer. Two questions:

A) What is the best method for farming the Ghost Blade? I have the Jagged Ghost Blade, but I understand I need both. On that note, is there someone who has a verified good list of the weapons needed for this achievement? Both wiki's are rife with errors on these lists so I'm never sure if I have them all or not.

B) I missed the white slab on my first playthrough (I'm on NG+ now) and will need to get it on NG++. Do I need to finish Anor Londo before I can get into the cave in Tomb of Giants with the white slab? Or I'm okay to go straight there? (no interest in killing Nito on NG++, I need only 1 white slab and sifs soul to finish the 100%)

I want to hit it while I'm on a hot streak, I was unbelievably lucky and got both Titanite Catch Pole and Channelers Trident tonight on my first kills... I had braced for hours of farming and instead had them both in under 10 minutes... want to see if my luck holds out ;)

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
ixix said:
If you're playing on PS3, I'm pretty sure it's because we're cut off from the Japanese players right now because of the patch. I was PvPing down there last night and as soon as the patch went live in Japan the action dropped off.

I figure as soon as we're on the same version as Japan again things will pick up.

Yeah we're also cut off from you guys for white summons. Didn't even bother droppin my stone this morning. Loving the new patch though.

ixix

finalozzo said:
ah, maybe that's why i can't play a single co-op.

Yeah, actually, that might be part of it. The playerbase is a bit fragmented at the moment in general, which is obviously going to mean less online action across the board.

klee123

Phenomic said:
QUESTION:

My PS3's Laser died (again) and I have to send it in for repairs. Any know of a way to actually keep the locked Dark Souls save data without having to buy PSN+? I really don't wanna lose this damn thing and I'm no where near in the mood to spend 18 bucks to keep some save data. On top of the 99 I have to send it in for repairs, this on top of the 120 I spent on the first time for repairs.

Could I copy the entire hard drive perhaps? Maybe there's a work around someone knows?

You're out of luck sorry. You'll need PSN+

Oracle Dragon said:
Okay, finishing off the 100% for this game before the patch hits, so I can then concentrate on the (hopefully) much improved multiplayer. Two questions:

A) What is the best method for farming the Ghost Blade? I have the Jagged Ghost Blade, but I understand I need both. On that note, is there someone who has a verified good list of the weapons needed for this achievement? Both wiki's are rife with errors on these lists so I'm never sure if I have them all or not.
You don't need the Ordinary Ghost Blade. I can confirm this.

B) I missed the white slab on my first playthrough (I'm on NG+ now) and will need to get it on NG++. Do I need to finish Anor Londo before I can get into the cave in Tomb of Giants with the white slab? Or I'm okay to go straight there? (no interest in killing Nito on NG++, I need only 1 white slab and sifs soul to finish the 100%)

Yes, you need to finish AL to obtain the Pure White Titanite Slab.

ixix

A-ha! I got Siegmeyer's quest back on the rails. I just needed to go back to Anor Londo and talk to him in the small room again. After three failures the fourth attempt may be the charm.

2AdEPT

KoreanBarbecue said:
Got a question for folks. I'm trying to get one more Red Titanite Slab and I see the wiki/official guide listing that I can trade a Pyromancy Flame to the Sparkly for one. Is this the base, non-upgraded one? In my last playthrough I tried to trade a max Quelana Pyromancy Flame, but she wouldn't take it. Any help is appreciated!
I also had no luck with +5 queelana...can't delevel can you?

Oracle Dragon said:

forget the ghost blades, you don't need them. try www.ps3trophies.org for a good list.

vilmer_

ixix said:

Invading Anor Londo is still working great ;) For the second time ever I ran into someone using the Fog Ring, twop, lightning weapon, basically the cheese works. It was Dark Anor Londo too so I really had no chance. I did manage to get in a sweet R2 attack with my Dark Knight Greataxe so there was some consolation :p

knitoe

Mortrialus said:
Then, unless I am overlooking something, I have every other item listed in the guide except the ghost blade and didn't get the achievement.

knitoe said:
Then, unless I am overlooking something, I have every other item listed in the guide except the ghost blade and didn't get the achievement.

Do you have the Giant's Halbred? Seems like most folks are missing that one.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I bought recently Dark Souls, so it appears im waaay late to the party compared with you all =D

I never played Demon's (I don't own a PS3) so I'm finding the difficulty level massive although I'm starting to adjust now. It's just that the game is merciless and doesn't allow for mistakes so you have to be both deliberate and quick or you will get destroyed.

At the moment I'm stuck on the Capra Demon - yeah I know, run to the stairs... but I always get blocked someway by the dogs. I can't summon anyone neither since I don't have XBL... which I hate to pay for.

In the meanwhile, I've been exploring the Garden... nice place! Killed the Titanite Demon at the entrance, the giant Butterfly (which I sort of didn't want to lol) and after holding onto 20k souls for the seal, I'm farming the guys past the locked door that give insane souls per kill.

Sullichin

Having completed the game two nights ago... (which i certainly didn't think i would be able to do when I first started), some lists...

Favorite Areas:
Anor Londo. Really beautiful. The enemies seemed overwhelmingly tough at first. I felt very triumphant when I beat the archers, got to the blacksmith, beat the boss. After spending so long in the other areas of the game, to be whisked away to a giant area on the other side of everything..that was really cool.
Sens Fortress. Loved the traps and overall design of this place. Using the traps to kill the man-serpents was very satisfying. I missed out on the lightning spear here (mimic killed me at the same time I killed it), which was incredibly frustrating at the time until I manned up and made my own lightning weapon which is better anyway.
Undead Burg/Parish. Great first real area of the game, just wonderful level design. Spent a lot of time here learning the ropes.
Demons Ruins. It gets a lot of hate but I liked it. I'm in hell or something so sure, throw a bunch of demons my way on a bed of cooled lava. I liked how many bosses there were here and killing the taurus/capra demons.

Stepping out to firelink shrine for the first time, knowing you have multiple paths to choose from, was something special. definitely had more of an impact on me than the hub in demons souls.

Least favorite:
Tomb of Giants. Fuck those skeleton dogs. This area wasn't much fun even when I got the hang of it.
Blighttown. Mainly because of the frame rate...which is absolutely terrible. I also never got the ring that lets me walk at normal speed in the swamp so fuck that. Also too dark.
New Londo. Too dark, ghosts don't give you any souls and aren't satisfying to fight.

Favorite Bosses:
Ornstein + Smough! It was very difficult for me but I really loved this fight.
Gaping Dragon - one of the few that I did with people in co-op, so it's memorable. Plus beating it let me leave the depths, and it was a fun fight.
Demon Firesage. I was ready to take this guy on, his cousin destroyed me earlier and it felt good to be confident about the fight.
Capra Demon.

Noteable moments / crushing defeats:
-Traversing the depths knowing that these frogs can insta-kill me and make me spawn with half my HP was nerve-wracking. Made a wrong turn, got cursed, took a while for me to get cured, manned up enough to go back into the depths.. and it happened again. Also, going through the depths with other people made me realize how special the co-op in this game really is. if only it worked more consistently!
- I lost to the final boss more times than I can count... and in many of these attempts, I got him to a fucking sliver of health (no red even showing) when he killed me. The most crushing of these defeats was when I was absolutely fucking determined I was going to beat this asshole. I used all of my humanity I had in stock (maybe 4 or 5), got him down to NOTHING.. and died. noooo! When I finally beat him, hours later, I used maybe 3 estus flasks, and the last one was just a precaution. I'm glad the black knights drop a shield that you can parry with that blocks 95% of fire damage :p because my eagle shield was making the fight way harder.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
how long is lost izalith? all this lava is hurting my eyes something fierce. tried turning down the brightness but it doesn't really help. ;-/

Lol, was just finishing up some stuff in my out-of-order game before completing it, and realised I never went up to fight the Taurus demon. One hit KO'd him and felt bad :'(

Sweet Jebus.

Homing Crystal Soul Mass does obscene damage!

Got my INT to 50 in NG and I was fighting poor Sif. Was hitting him with my Enchanted Falchion for 130 a piece. Then, when I saw poor doggy wobbling I hit him with dat Soul Mass for 1540!

Seriously, wtf?

Seriously

knitoe

KoreanBarbecue said:
Do you have the Giant's Halbred? Seems like most folks are missing that one.
That's not listed as req in the guide. Closest is Black Knight Halberd. I'll have to check, pretty sure I have a few giant halberd in the bottomless box.

I made a new character specifically to dick around with the soul glitch, and raised several stats to 99 including VIT and END, and others to 60 (STR, DEX, FTH, INT). What I found interesting is that the game doesn't feel much easier at all, even early in NG1 with a completely buffed out character (SL450ish?). I can take another couple hits, sure, but honestly that's it. If anything it highlights how completely gear dependent the game is. I know the patch will alleviate some of this but several of the stats literally do nothing, and I'm not entirely sure this will be fixed in the new patch.

I sort of feel like the stats are broken at a much deeper level than some scaling issues. SL1 runs are fun, but I really don't think you should be able to do that in a game like this.

Fun fact:
I got invaded twice at SL400+, which I wasn't expecting.

finalozzo said:
no, you don't.
but who cares? After you get chaos firestorm and the shortcut is opened why should you be at rank 2.

If you plan to do another run (NG+ +1) then you have your answer. I had no reason to switch out of that covenant after NG+, so I kept it and my rank for NG++.

I mean, what else was I going to do? Try to join Gravelords to grief people? Join Darkwraith or Darkmoon if I want to invade for free? Join Forest to get called into PvP? The only other 1 I thought about, honestly, was switching to dragon so I could get the torso item, but it'd have to wait until I was in NG+++ anyway, since I'm not collecting 30 scales legit.

And while I'm talking about covenants, was there any point to the Princess Guard one other than getting the ring?

knitoe said:
That's not listed as req in the guide. Closest is Black Knight Halberd. I'll have to check, pretty sure I have a few giant halberd in the bottomless box.

The guide is wrong.

Phenomic

Brobzoid said:
how long is lost izalith? all this lava is hurting my eyes something fierce. tried turning down the brightness but it doesn't really help. ;-/

Not overly long and the boss shouldn't take you that long either. Hardest part and it's not really hard just somewhat tedious and long will be clearing the path to him.

Eusis

Well, with everything at 99 but Attunement (because seriously it doesn't even matter beyond 50) the true Greatsword of Artorias can be really damn powerful, 712 or 714 damage. Maybe something else outclasses the damage, but it's got broad stat scaling so it benefits from all four pretty nicely.

Bitmap Frogs said:
I bought recently Dark Souls, so it appears im waaay late to the party compared with you all =D

I never played Demon's (I don't own a PS3) so I'm finding the difficulty level massive although I'm starting to adjust now. It's just that the game is merciless and doesn't allow for mistakes so you have to be both deliberate and quick or you will get destroyed.

At the moment I'm stuck on the Capra Demon - yeah I know, run to the stairs... but I always get blocked someway by the dogs. I can't summon anyone neither since I don't have XBL... which I hate to pay for.

In the meanwhile, I've been exploring the Garden... nice place! Killed the Titanite Demon at the entrance, the giant Butterfly (which I sort of didn't want to lol) and after holding onto 20k souls for the seal, I'm farming the guys past the locked door that give insane souls per kill.

The simple rules at having Dark Souls become easier:

-Approach ever corner slowly with caution & your shield up :)

-Always lure out an enemy from a group for one on one battle. Never fight against a group that can surround you & attack you when you are in an attack animation.

-Use thrusting weapons in tight small spaces & hallways.

-Use small, but fast weapons when you want to attack an enemy without blocking first so that you will always win the first hit.

-Always have a shield with 100% damage reduction equipped.

-Block attacks & only attack when you have an opening.

-NEVER button mash non-stop if you can't kill that enemy in one swoop. Your stamina meter will be depleted & you won't be able to block or roll away in time when the enemy's next upcoming attack hits. (a problem a lot of people have with the Capra demon).

knitoe said:

Pretty sure it's required. You buy it from the giant blacksmith in Anor Londo. I've seen numerous folks having issues with that achievement and the Giant Halbred had usually been the culprit.

ixix

corrosivefrost said:
And while I'm talking about covenants, was there any point to the Princess Guard one other than getting the ring?

It lets you use the two mass heal Miracles you get in the Duke's Archive. Other than that, it does nothing. At least it's marginally more useful than the Way of White.

2AdEPT

Bitmap Frogs said:

Make sure to run straight, or even a bit to the RIGHT first...roll right by capra on his LEFT, THEN head up the stairs....otherwise the dogs get you....this way they don't as you give them time to come down the stairs, clear the landing and chase you to teh centre of the screen first.....once you run up the stairs, block with your shield.....still not an easy fight for a new player.

even if you can't PVP there are NPC summons that you can hire for most bosses.....but not capra to my knowledge. One way to fix capra is to
use the master key, go to blighttown via back door, get in human form, fight a npc invader then, you can summon her for the bosss fight in blighttown. By ringing both bells you can acquire both the gol hemmed armour set, adn the lightning spear. Along with chaos pyromancy that you get after that boss downstairs......capra melts while you can electrocute the dogs. I always start new characters this way now....its so much easier early game....no drake sword, prefer the astora, but the winged spear is good until the astora gets upgraded.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Mortrialus said:
I've been looking in the wiki, and I can't figure out at all why it's so rare compared to the Jagged Ghost Blade. It does 40 less dmg, doesn't scale better... don't need it for the trophy... so why?

knitoe

KoreanBarbecue said:
Pretty sure it's required. You buy it from the giant blacksmith in Anor Londo. I've seen numerous folks having issues with that achievement and the Giant Halbred had usually been the culprit.
Not it. Got 8 in the box. What about the Stone Greatsword. Does it have to be a drop or can you just buy it off Shiva? Think, I bought mine. Other than that, looking at Ghost Blade which official guide says req, but people says it's not.

ixix said:
It lets you use the two mass heal Miracles you get in the Duke's Archive. Other than that, it does nothing. At least it's marginally more useful than the Way of White.

Fair enough. Didn't realize you had to be in that covenant to use those two miracles (that require like 40+ FAITH right?).

--

There are lots of weapons the guide gets wrong with the rare weapon achievement/trophy. It doesn't list the Channeler's Trident either and that's damn sure required.

Check your weapons against this list:

http://wikigameguides.com/Dark_Souls/Achievements/Knights-Honor

corrosivefrost said:
Fair enough. Didn't realize you had to be in that covenant to use those two miracles (that require like 40+ FAITH right?).

One requires 34ish-- the other something like 48? So not anything you'd use without a Faith build.

Speaking of which, is there 4th bonfire in Anor Londo?

There is one at the start.
One in the room to your left when you enter the interior of the castle.
One near Gwynevere.

The guide shows another bonfire, but doesn't show how to access it.

See You Next Wednesday said:

One near Gwynevere.

Yes, there is one near
Gwyndolyn/darkmoon covenant. You have to rotate the elevator to the bottom position and go down the stairs.

One near Gwynevere.

Rotate the bridge all the way down.

Beats

One near Gwynevere.

There's one in the "middle" of Anor Londo in a tower. You have to lower the tower in the middle to the bottom. There should be a path that leads to a room with the bonfire if you go down the stairs.

knitoe said:
Not it. Got 8 in the box. What about the Stone Greatsword. Does it have to be a drop or can you just buy it off Shiva? Think, I bought mine. Other than that, looking at Ghost Blade which official guide says req, but people says it's not.

Prett sure it's only a drop (think the buyable stuff is just the armor set).

vilmer_

It looks like this will be my final setup before 1.04. Antiquated Skirt looks out of place, but she will be missed.

G8Eih.jpg

2AdEPT

toasty_T said:
You're about 60% in now I'd say.
Depends if he did painted, new asylum, new londo, catacombs, drakes, basin, hollow ash lake, etc. the others are blocked and lordvessel is required, but not these and some often skip them.

anywhere from 40-60%, in other words........... lots more, likely!

I just got this awesome drake sword with awesome 200 attack power stat, no other weapon I find so far can compare to this sword, so should I ignore weapon upgrade until I can find better weapon? I still don't have material to upgrade drake sword, and my other weapon pales in comparison to drake sword, even upgrading it 2 or 3 times probably won't make my other weapon touch drake sword.

Drake sword becomes LOL weak eventually. You'll know when.

Also, what the hell is wrong with the summoning? I've been sitting here for an hour now, and outside of those two right off the bat, nothing.

2AdEPT

vilmer_ said:
It looks like this will be my final setup before 1.04. Antiquated Skirt looks out of place, but she will be missed.

G8Eih.jpg

Why? What is the list of things that are getting axed? if this has been already posted can someone give me a post/thread number? I like female characters, and like that skirt on them dammit!!!:)

Callibretto said:
I just got this awesome drake sword with awesome 200 attack power stat, no other weapon I find so far can compare to this sword, so should I ignore weapon upgrade until I can find better weapon? I still don't have material to upgrade drake sword, and my other weapon pales in comparison to drake sword, even upgrading it 2 or 3 times probably won't make my other weapon touch drake sword.

It's one of the best if not the best weapons early in the game. I wouldn't upgrade it though, as the material has other uses later and by the time you get it there will be comparable stuff anyway.

Can someone run an experiment for me?

I'm trying to figure out what the hell the use is for the Egg's special attack (the one where a bug comes out and bites something). I thought of something.

Can someone try using it on the Bed of Chaos boss? Maybe you can get the Blightpus that way and use it to cure the chaos covenant leader and she'll open the secret wall for you. I refuse to believe that there's nothing there dammit. It's worth a try.

I already killed it and I don't want to NG+ until the patch arrives so the Solaire bug doesnt hit me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom