• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thagomizer said:
I just made it, looked at the stats, and my face completely dropped. I mean, seriously, From? 150 base damage total?

At 99/99/99/99 I think it does about 520 ish damage.

Has the patch been released in Japan yet?

elty

So.... I was trying to kill S&O, S first.

First 3 attempts: die horribly without even killing S.
Next 2 attempts: use iron flesh, managed to kill S but O BBQ me
Next attempt: Spent a humanity to summon Solaire. Used iron flesh, killed S but took way too long and spend way too many fireballs. Solaire died very quickly with giant O and...
Final attempt: Spent a humanity, summon Solaire then some black phantom invade (wtf, I have not sinned), Summoned another white phantom and rushed into boss door. Killed S, but O BBQ the white phantom. Then it BBQ me.

Arhhhh

Mortrialus said:
At 99/99/99/99 I think it does about 520 ish damage.

Has the patch been released in Japan yet?

Which is still pretty low-mid-pack among the good weapons and I'd say that's pretty irrelevant anyway, as no one's going to get that high without glitching.

Dresden

Thagomizer said:
Which is still pretty low-mid-pack among the good weapons and I'd say that's pretty irrelevant anyway, as no one's going to get that high without glitching.
Isn't it fast and pokey-from-behind-shield like all the other spears? Spears always do lower damage per hit, it's all about overall DPS and capability.

I don't even care about that though, the spear looks SICK.

Charmicarmicat said:
Seeing as you are there fighting them, can you try something on one run, using a transient curse when fighting them?

Already beat them, it's in my post somewhere.

Anyway, I fought them once before with a transient curse still in effect. Didn't seem to change anything.

I've been levelling my strength for Ornstein's Spear. What shitty stats :(

I thought being kitted out in all his gear would have a better pay off.

Zimbardo

so i completed this game 5 times with 3 different characters.

some people might think that'd be enough ...but i can't stop fucking playing this frigging game! its too addictive.

i must play and play again.

anyone else like this?

i have other games i want to play ...but i can't pull myself away from this damn game!

Dresden

Zimbardo said:

some people might think that'd be enough ...but i can't stop fucking playing this frigging game! its too addictive.

anyone else like this?

i have other games i want to play ...but i can't pull myself away from this damn game!
Beaten it three times or so now, my sorceror is stalled in ng++ at the kiln and the same goes for my sunbro in ng+. Honestly I'm just waiting for the patch, see how multiplayer pans out, and then I'll probably move on to Skyrim.

Zimbardo

Dresden said:
Beaten it three times or so now, my sorceror is stalled in ng++ at the kiln and the same goes for my sunbro in ng+. Honestly I'm just waiting for the patch, see how multiplayer pans out, and then I'll probably move on to Skyrim.

i have Battlefield 3 on the PC, and completed its single player campaign ...but only have like 1 hour in its multiplayer due to Dark Souls consuming my time.

i want to play BF3, but just want to play Dark Souls more. i wish it would stop ...lol.

i have COD Modern Warfare 3 and Batman Arkham City pre ordered on PC, too ...so there's lots of games i have that i want to play ....i just hope i can get over this Dark Souls addiction soon.

the new Dark Souls patch coming out doesn't help either, because it'll probably make me want to try a couple more different builds.

ohh the addiction is strong with this one.

lupin23rd

I just did the Four Kings fight on NG+ last night, took a few attempts but I went with a combination of Stone / Havel armor, Iron Flesh, and then put my +10 Fire Halberd in the right hand, and Crystal Ring Shield in the left. About 1000 damage with each shot of the shield, the time I beat them I pretty much ripped them apart one by one.

Question:

In undead perish near the bonfire where the blacksmith is, outside of the bonfire is that building and the character with a ton of armor. He is a friendly unless attacked. Has anybody killed him? If so what does he give you?

Zzoram

Zimbardo said:

anyone else like this?

I'm only on NG+ with my first character (sorcerer) but I'm almost done. I just need to kill Seath, 4 Kings, Prescilla (need her tail), Gwindolyn, and Gwyn. Oh, I need to join the SunBros for the last miracles for that trophy too.

I figure doing all this should take no more than ~5 more hours given how easy NG+ has been now that I know everything and considering I'm a sorcerer. I'm hoping to finish NG+ before the patch hits North America, or at least finish the 4 Kings before then. NG++ for Sif and Anor Londo to get the rare item trophy shouldn't be hard.

ClovingSteam said:
Question:

In undead perish near the bonfire where the blacksmith is, outside of the bonfire is that building and the character with a ton of armor. He is a friendly unless attacked. Has anybody killed him? If so what does he give you?

I think he drops a speckled stoneplate ring when killed.

maomaoIYP

MomoPufflet said:
Did antiquated skirt just have really good defense for the weight or some hidden stat? I must have totally missed that it was good.

At +5 it gave 60+ defence for a whopping 3 weight. That made it better than practically every single leg piece. I guess with the patch From is aiming for is to balance out the pieces in each weight class. Similarly the black leather pants got nerfed, it had pretty good stats for a starting piece of equipment.

Dresden

Zzoram said:
So people should go dual DEX/INT builds? Are there any weapons that scale with both DEX and INT?
Velka, maybe? That said a dexterity weapon at +15 with Crystal Magic Weapon should be even more viable now. Obviously it requires a sizable investment into both stats to be effective so I don't expect much to come out of it.

Zzoram

maomaoIYP said:
Interesting, but practically speaking still relatively useless for sorcerers. Pyros are still way on top, patch or no patch.

For PvE sorcerers it is useful to know. 50 VIT 50 DEX 50 INT builds.

TommyT

Oracle Dragon said:
Oh man... that Black Knight in Kiln of the First Flame DOES drop his Black Knight Great Axe eventually right? I've run it enough times to get my Chaos, Occult, and Crystal weapons up to +9 and ready for NG++, and I have piles of the swords, greatswords, halberds, and shields. But this SOB won't drop anything for me but White ore chunks! (31 humanity + snake ring).

Mortrialus said:
He does, but from both mine and many other's experience with him, it's the hardest BK weapon to get.

Got it first run through there... has to happen to someone right >.>;

Rokk

Neo Member
I'm pretty far behind the general curve of this thread but..

Super productive day today. Cleared through Blighttown and Sens, fuck yeah!

Is the Iron Golem soul useful for anything?

Rokk said:

You can create a couple of weapons I don't think anyone has ever used.

TommyT

Zimbardo said:

anyone else like this?

Seriously... I got UC3 early, the new Ratchet and Clank and BF3 for PC... I can't stop playing :(

Dresden

So right now, at 50int + Logan's Catalyst, with a fully upgraded Ricard's Rapier enchanted with CMW, a full R2 combo does 1,800+ damage on Nito, apparently. Wonder how those numbers will change.

maomaoIYP

Zzoram said:
For PvE sorcerers it is useful to know. 50 VIT 50 DEX 50 INT builds.

Not really. You're pretty much not going to get any action at those levels. Also 40+ points into dex just for a half sec decrease in cast time isn't going to make much difference for a sorcerer because you shouldn't be casting spells up close anyway.

Zzoram

Dresden said:
So right now, at 50int + Logan's Catalyst, with a fully upgraded Ricard's Rapier enchanted with CMW, a full R2 combo does 1,800+ damage on Nito, apparently. Wonder how those numbers will change.

The CMW bonus might go down, but the Ricard's Rapier +15 scaling will go up. Your stats will likely determine if you get a net increase or decrease in damage. What STR and DEX do you have?

Dresden

Zzoram said:
The CMW bonus might go down, but the Ricard's Rapier +15 scaling will go up. Your stats will likely determine if you get a net increase or decrease in damage. What STR and DEX do you have?
Not my numbers, but the guy who tested it noted that he had 20 dex, just enough for the weapon's requirement. I can see it scaling high once it hits S levels.

Zzoram

maomaoIYP said:
Maybe, but still kind of pointless. All those points into END would do a lot more good.

A sorcerer would benefit a lot more from fast casting time than more stamina to swing a weapon he isn't swinging.

Aselith

Zzoram said:
A sorcerer would benefit a lot more from fast casting time than more stamina to swing a weapon he isn't swinging.

Also, you can always buy/collect the green herbs to help with stamina whereas there's nothing to make you cast faster.

maomaoIYP

Zzoram said:

Armor. Blocking. Rolling. A fast cast time of 0.5s per spell isn't going to make much difference, most boss fights aren't desperate DPS fights, you spend more time with movement and defence.

Dresden

I don't see how this is much of a discussion, there's no reason to push endurance past 40 and this isn't pvp so there's no need to try to stay at 120 or whatever. 30vit/40end/45dex/50int is more than workable for ng++++ etc.

Defuser

All these debate here about sorcery proves that Pyro is superior since there's options for both close and far combat to use Pyro whereas you're stuck at far range using Sorcery.

Dresden

Defuser said:
All these debate here about sorcery proves that Pyro is superior since there's options for both close and far combat to use Pyro whereas you're stuck at far range using Sorcery.
Around the end of NG you really stop using Soul Arrow spells, it's all about homing soulmass and its crystal cousin.

Eusis

Defuser said:
Except Pyro isn't THAT far range. I was surprised I could hit the
Moonlight Butterfly
with my fireballs in a replay to be honest.

maomaoIYP

Dresden said:
I don't see how this is much of a discussion, there's no reason to push endurance past 40 and this isn't pvp so there's no need to try to stay at 120 or whatever. 30vit/40end/45dex/50int is more than workable for ng++++ etc.

Well by NG++++ you should have pretty much whatever stats you want. I'm arguing more for low level PvE builds, because a new player is going have a much easier time with 50 INT, 40 END/VIT versus 50 INT, 40 DEX.

kevm3

Is there a point at being anything other than an int/faith build since these classes can get melee weapons that match, if not outclass much of what's available in dex/strength builds?

maomaoIYP

kevm3 said:
Is there a point at being anything other than an int/faith build since these classes can get melee weapons that match, if not outclass much of what's available in dex/strength builds?

Melee is fun to play.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Rokk said:

It makes a pretty sick Axe, the 1H R2 attack does the wind slice that the Iron Golem does at the start of the fight. PVP wise it's not that powerful but with the new scaling that could change.

kevm3 said:

What Int/Faith weapons are better than Strength/Dex weapons?

scy

kevm3 said:

STR/DEX builds can utilize weapon enchants as well; the buff to their scaling in the patch should make their potential advantage a bit more apparent.

Yo Gotti said:
What Int/Faith weapons are better than Strength/Dex weapons?

Discounting enchants, almost every top scaling one (i.e., A-scaling Enchanted, B-scaling Occult) should be better than their +15 Standard variants. A few exceptions for the high STR requirement weapons potentially but I'm not certain (and then Magic/Divine might be better due to the better STR/DEX scaling).

Edit: Also ignoring one-damage vs split-damage, since that's kind of a pain to on-the-fly calculate.

Yo Gotti

Banned
scy said:
Discounting enchants, almost every top scaling one (i.e., A-scaling Enchanted, B-scaling Occult) should be better than their +15 Standard variants. A few exceptions for the high STR requirement weapons potentially but I'm not certain (and then Magic/Divine might be better due to the better STR/DEX scaling).

I've done quite a bit of experimenting with crafting weapons and with every weapon I've made, Divine, Occult, Enchanted, none of them come close to the damage output of a +5 Lightning, +10 Fire or +15 Normal heavy weapon.

Black Knight Great Axe/Greatsword/Halberd, Demon's Great Hammer, Demon's Great Machete, all of these when updated to max do insane base damage + all have great strength scaling. Add Lightning or Fire and no small/medium Magic based weapon will come close.

Zweihander and Greatsword is up there too, and the Great Dragon weapons though they don't scale at all.

I dunno much about Dex weapons, but STR has a huge advantage when it comes to melee.

tokkun

kevm3 said:

You might use a strength build if you want to use some of the weapons like Black Knight Greataxe or the good shields.

There is almost no reason to use a dex build, and I say that as someone with a dex character.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Finally got the Capra!

I know, I know... Everybody's busy farming the last boss or whatever... But after god knows how many attempts it felt damn good. I went for a small tasting run of the Depths, found out even undead need to eat and rescued a guy about to become oeurs d'ouvre. Laurentious.

Game's starting to click right now...

deim0s

Yo Gotti said:
I've done quite a bit of experimenting with crafting weapons and with every weapon I've made, Divine, Occult, Enchanted, none of them come close to the damage output of a +5 Lightning, +10 Fire or +15 Normal heavy weapon.

Black Knight Great Axe/Greatsword/Halberd, Demon's Great Hammer, Demon's Great Machete, all of these when updated to max do insane base damage + all have great strength scaling. Add Lightning or Fire and no small/medium Magic based weapon will come close.

Zweihander and Greatsword is up there too, and the Great Dragon weapons though they don't scale at all.

I dunno much about Dex weapons, but STR has a huge advantage when it comes to melee.
One thing that I don't see mentioned anywhere is RAW upgraded weapons. Anyone tried it on an STR or DEX build?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom