• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

scy

Yo Gotti said:
I've done quite a bit of experimenting with crafting weapons and with every weapon I've made, Divine, Occult, Enchanted, none of them come close to the damage output of a +5 Lightning, +10 Fire or +15 Normal heavy weapon.

Black Knight Great Axe/Greatsword/Halberd, Demon's Great Hammer, Demon's Great Machete, all of these when updated to max do insane base damage + all have great strength scaling. Add Lightning or Fire and no small/medium Magic based weapon will come close.

Zweihander and Greatsword is up there too, and the Great Dragon weapons though they don't scale at all.

I dunno much about Dex weapons, but STR has a huge advantage when it comes to melee.

Like I said, exceptions for the high STR requirement ones (and even then I'm not certain, double-checking the math has most the Enchanted/Occult yielding better listed). 50 STR/50 DEX Greatsword, for instance, is a 604 weapon; 28/10/50 Enchanted is a 709 and Occult is a 700.

If you're testing actual damage per swing then, yeah, they'll do worse due to how split damage is calculated. Which is something that tends to get ignored when the state of affairs of Standard weapons are talked about. That and Enchants.

Really, in retrospect, STR didn't really need a ton of help at the high-end weapons. Smaller weapons are a bit of a bigger deal: 50 STR/10 DEX Claymore is 395 or 50 STR/50 DEX is 518; Enchanted at 16/10/50 is 587, Occult is 557. But, again, one damage vs split and enchantable vs not.

INT/Faith aren't slouches by no means; they'll probably out list most the physical weapons but their spread hurts them a bit (or not, depending on the target's resistances). Pure STR is best for the highest possible output and I still have no idea what DEX looks like post-patch :/

deim0s said:
One thing that I don't see mentioned anywhere is RAW upgraded weapons. Anyone tried it on an STR or DEX build?

Raw weapons are pretty terrible; they're always worse than a +15 Standard since they scale worse (50 STR/50 DEX Greatsword is a 472, Claymore is a 397).

lol invaded Booshka with my lvl 1 and got wrecked by the Gravelord Sword of his friend. Thing destroys my 0 poise... couldn't roll out of the stun lock. My soul hurts Booshka.

kevm3

tokkun said:
You might use a strength build if you want to use some of the weapons like Black Knight Greataxe or the good shields.

There is almost no reason to use a dex build, and I say that as someone with a dex character.

Unfortunately I invested 60 points into Dex, but I have 40 in strength. The great thing with my build though is that I am insanely fast with the gold hemmed equipment on. unfortunately they want to nerf that and pretty much destroy the dex class.

Dresden

kevm3 said:
Unfortunately I invested 60 points into Dex, but I have 40 in strength. The great thing with my build though is that I am insanely fast with the gold hemmed equipment on. unfortunately they want to nerf that and pretty much destroy the dex class.
Just upgrade some of the lighter armors. >.>

Grinchy

Banned
kevm3 said:
By the time I got the gold-hemmed, I wasn't even using all the pieces. Even regular leather armor has better physical defense stats when you upgrade it. The elemental def and resistance are a little lower though.

Leather Chest piece MAX: 65/69/65/65 | 48/65/56 | 29/28/0
Gold Hemmed chest MAX: 44/47.1/44/44 | 54/68/36 | 40/94/0

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I just intentionally handicapped myself on the Four Kings to see how bad a melee build would have it against them post-patch. No sorcery, no Iron Flesh, just a Fire Greatsword +10 and all the chutzpah I could muster.

It wasn't really all that bad. My initial attempt where I jumped in alone with full Armor of Favor and the Grass Crest Shield ended pretty disastrously after King #3 showed up while I was still working on King #2, but on my second attempt I summoned Beatrice and switched to my trusty Silver Knight Shield I managed it with 11 Flasks left of my initial 20. I wouldn't call it easy, but it was entirely doable with another warm body spirit stripped of its fleshy vessel down there to draw their ire.

Edit: I should probably mention this was on NG++.

Yo Gotti said:
I've done quite a bit of experimenting with crafting weapons and with every weapon I've made, Divine, Occult, Enchanted, none of them come close to the damage output of a +5 Lightning, +10 Fire or +15 Normal heavy weapon.

My +10 Magic Halberd with 99 INT destroys my +5 Lightning Estoc and even the dragons tooth, Dragon greatsword (Which have been upgraded)

Defuser

It sucks Iron Flesh got nerfed.

Did people actually complained about Iron flesh or From just noticed how majority just use it and cheese through bosses?

Ill Saint

Iron flesh was a very easy way to get through some encounters. I have to admit I used it to beat Gwyn and it was quite sad. He barely scratched me while I lit his ass up. He went down in seconds. Definitely needed some serious adjustment.

ixix

GodlyPerfection said:
Would you guys say it is respectful enough in a PvP duel to heal if they throw even one Lloyd's Talisman at me?

If you're not planning on chugging Estus to begin with the Lloyd's Talisman is irrelevant. If you are planning on chugging Estus then whether or not it's respectful is a moot point because you were planning on doing it anyway. Either way, somebody throwing out a Talisman changes nothing.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
ixix said:
If you're not planning on chugging Estus to begin with the Lloyd's Talisman is irrelevant. If you are planning on chugging Estus then whether or not it's respectful is a moot point because you were planning on doing it anyway. Either way, somebody throwing out a Talisman changes nothing.
dude. fuckin' deep.

glaurung

Last night I boosted all the way through Gaping Demon, all of Blighttown, Quelaag died in one attempt and then I simply ran through Sen's Fortress and massacred the Iron Golem without even thinking.

All of this with my new Sorcerer, he is now soul level 30 or somewhere in that area, everything into intelligence and some attunement so I now have four spell slots. On the whole, I like playing this caster character a lot more - the spell arsenal is not that large at the beginning, but the risk-reward aspect is so much better.

I am not going to fly to Anor Londo with him so quickly, I will scour the countryside and try to boost my humanity reserves, maybe even help some younger guys with the intro bosses.

Something that made me sad was that the red dragon on the Burg pathway glitched and died. I went up the tower where the bad-ass knight is that I would never try to kill with my warrior character this early on. I lured it down and ran some circles with him, finally killing it. And then I went up the tower, took one shot with a crappy bow at the dragon, he jumped down and vanished. I thought it strange and a few seconds later I received 10,000 souls. He is gone now. Found the new bonfire under him.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The Gravelord is vanquished.

I believe I have an appointment with the Lord of Cinder...

Anybody else feel...
pretty profoundly guilty at the "murder all the firekeepers for their souls" tour?

54-46!

54-46! said:
I'm pure melee, where do I go from here? can't decide whether I should go STR or DEX.

SL62
VIT 32
END 34
STR 20
DEX 20

Currently using: Ornstein / Iato +5 Lightning / Silver Knight Shield +5
Bump :]

Hawkian said:
The Gravelord is vanquished.

I believe I have an appointment with the Lord of Cinder...

Anybody else feel...
pretty profoundly guilty at the "murder all the firekeepers for their souls" tour?

I killed the Darkmoon firekeeper in Anor Londo because she became aggressive after I killed Gwyndolin.

Couldn't bring myself to kill anyone else. Especially Spider Girl

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
toasty_T said:
I killed the Darkmoon firekeeper in Anor Londo because she became aggressive after I killed Gwyndolin.

Couldn't bring myself to kill anyone else. Especially Spider Girl
I just wanted to upgrade my flasks.... :'(

kyubajin

Oracle Dragon said:
Oh man... that Black Knight in Kiln of the First Flame DOES drop his Black Knight Great Axe eventually right? I've run it enough times to get my Chaos, Occult, and Crystal weapons up to +9 and ready for NG++, and I have piles of the swords, greatswords, halberds, and shields. But this SOB won't drop anything for me but White ore chunks! (31 humanity + snake ring).
Damn... I got it on my 1st try at 0 humanity and no ring...

Just finished the game! Had an amazing time. NG+ seems very easy so far (just did a bit of the undead burg - one shotting everything), does it get harder or am I just too levelled/well equipped for it?

ixix

Hawkian said:
Anybody else feel...

I never saw the need for it. You can get up to +4 in a single playthrough without letting a single one of them die, there are three available to you the instant you start NG+, and it caps out at +7. Get it to +4 on your first playthrough then nab the Undead Parish, Blighttown, and New Londo souls as soon as you begin NG+. Guilt-free maxed-out Estus Flask.

54-46! said:

Strength will open up more weapon options to you than will Dexterity, though depending on your weapon preference that may be irrelevant. With the patch imminent I'd personally be inclined to hold off on making a firm decision until the full impact of its scaling adjustments are known. In the interim you should go ahead and pump Endurance to 40 to max out your Stamina, and more Vitality is always a fine option.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
ixix said:
I never saw the need for it. You can get up to +4 in a single playthrough without letting a single one of them die, there are three available to you the instant you start NG+, and it caps out at +7. Get it to +4 on your first playthrough then nab the Undead Parish, Blighttown, and New Londo souls as soon as you begin NG+. Guilt-free maxed-out Estus Flask.
Yeahhhhh I only got to +2 in my playthrough. :p

ixix said:

While slightly true and the talisman being thrown as a just in case measure I can understand. Normally I just let them hit me with the Talisman to show that I don't plan on healing anyways. But after that if they keep throwing them, then I assume that they don't mind me healing. Would you say that is a fair assumption is what I am asking.

PantherAttacks said:
Just finished the game! Had an amazing time. NG+ seems very easy so far (just did a bit of the undead burg - one shotting everything), does it get harder or am I just too levelled/well equipped for it?

It's noticeably easier in that your attacking power is much higher. Just don't get hit.

ixix

Hawkian said:
Yeahhhhh I only got to +2 in my playthrough. :p

Well then I guess now you're going to have a +5 that tastes like murder.

GodlyPerfection said:
While slightly true and the talisman being thrown as a just in case measure I can understand. Normally I just let them hit me with the Talisman to show that I don't plan on healing anyways. But after that if they keep throwing them, then I assume that they don't mind me healing. Would you say that is a fair assumption is what I am asking.

I'm not sure that you should take them trying to prevent you from healing as meaning they don't mind you healing. Personally, I think I'd lean toward the opposite conclusion.

If you're really concerned with having a fair duel and being respectful then Estus is off the table, and nothing your opponent does should change that, I don't think. If you want to try to find victory at the bottom of a bottle then drink away, the game ain't going to stop you and your opponent fundamentally has no recourse.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
And thus the Age of Man begins.

That last area was really made for my character, it was ridiculous.
The black knights fell in one backstab, and correct me if I'm wrong, but is Gwyn the only boss in the game you can riposte? Died once to him, then equipped the parrying dagger in my offhand and absolutely wrecked him. The entire segment took me roughly 7 minutes, and I claimed the throne that was rightfully mine.

Speaking of which, I think the "good" ending was excellent for this game. Very satisfying, especially them mentioning Frampt by name! I can imagine how you'd be disappointed if you linked the fires... what happens?

The way you are unceremoniously dumped back into the first scene of the game after the credits, replete in your now game-conquering chosen armor, really sums up the totality of the experience.

74790 souls in my pocket. Wish there was a bonfire right here!

Beat it at level 69 by the way- what level were you?

All in all, absolutely one of my favorite games of all time. Love that my experience in the 83 hours I spent on my playthrough will be completely different than that of the next person I speak to about the game. Truly remarkable stuff.

Zzoram

Mortrialus said:
And you explode. It's the most trollish ending I've ever seen in a game.

It would be funny to hear what a mainstream gaming podcast had to say about that. Too bad nobody on those podcasts will ever beat this game.

Insaniac said:
really? I thought it was symbolic or something like absorbing the power of the fire. Is it really as simple as you die in a fire?

Actually you burn forever and go hollow as Gwyn did until someone else puts you out of your misery to continue or end the cycle.

Insaniac said:
really? I thought it was symbolic or something like absorbing the power of the fire. Is it really as simple as you die in a fire?

You get engulfed in flame. It's implied that you succeed Gwyn as the keeper of the first flame but it looks a whole lot like you just getting set on fire -> The End

The sequence is about 15 seconds long.

Xanathus

Mortrialus said:
Actually you burn forever and go hollow as Gwyn did until someone else puts you out of your misery to continue or end the cycle.
What if.... what if NG+ is actually a
new cycle and the Gwyn you encounter at the end is actually your last cycle's character OMGGGGGG

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Dresden said:
I don't see how this is much of a discussion, there's no reason to push endurance past 40 and this isn't pvp so there's no need to try to stay at 120 or whatever. 30vit/40end/45dex/50int is more than workable for ng++++ etc.

so assuming you stop endurance at 40, what equip limit does that give you, and what would be some recommended (post patch) armour if you want to stay below 50%/25%?

Foxix Von

I had taken an extended break thanks to the capra demon and just came back and seriously whooped it's ass on the first try.

FUCKKKKKK YEAAAAAAAAH!

kyubajin

mrklaw said:
so assuming you stop endurance at 40, what equip limit does that give you, and what would be some recommended (post patch) armour if you want to stay below 50%/25%?
This is precisely what I'm currently testing, only that I'm factoring in the F&D ring. So far I can wear the whole Black Iron set minus the gloves which I replaced with Hard Leather and still have medium roll speed, that is using the Eagle shield and Lightning spear +5. It's not perfect from an aesthetic point of view but it serves well.

Chakan

Damn
Bed of Chaos fight
...got me killed like 10 times lol Finally got that jump right and killed the bastard.

Sunlight Maggot - check

Tomb of Giants, here I come.

Zzoram

Xanathus said:
What if.... what if NG+ is actually a
new cycle and the Gwyn you encounter at the end is actually your last cycle's character OMGGGGGG

That would be very Infinity Blade, but appropriate.

Xanathus

Random Dark Souls thought of the day: Since you only drop your souls in a bloodstain when an invader kills you, they aren't actually stealing your souls, they're just copying your souls. So invaders are actually soul pirates, not soul thieves.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Xanathus said:
Random Dark Souls thought of the day: Since you only drop your souls in a bloodstain when an invader kills you, they aren't actually stealing your souls, they're just copying your souls. So invaders are actually soul pirates, not soul thieves.
4nZBASoSAd79pgh9yEG2ZCPi_500.png

soul file sharers really

Has Nacmo said anything on when the patch is going to land for the US/EU versions? Playing the game is frustrating when you know so much stuff has been fixed but not in your version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom