• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
koshunter said:
Has Nacmo said anything on when the patch is going to land for the US/EU versions? Playing the game is frustrating when you know so much stuff has been fixed but not in your version.

I don't care about when the patch comes at this point because it's coming in the next week I would assume anyway. What I'm concerned about is if the patch is fixing the Snuggly bug.

DigitalDevil said:
I don't care about when the patch comes at this point because it's coming in the next week I would assume anyway. What I'm concerned about is if the patch is fixing the Snuggly bug.

Yes it is.

orion434

I got my 100% completion in Dark Souls last night, I had a blast for all 112 hours I put into my character. I would say NG+ run was my favorite part, I have very little to do toward the Achievement "Knight's Honor" besides Boss Soul forging. Then in NG++ I rang both bells, defeated Sif and climbed Sen's Fortress and onto Anor Londo to the Giant Blacksmith in less than 2 hours... could have been shorter if I didn't die twice on the swinging blades in Sen's Fortress.

Baloonatic said:
Yes it is.

shit! I'm going to have to go offline until I have time to stockpile upgrade materials. I love this game to death, but I don't feel bad about avoiding hours of grinding to get specific drops.

Finally got the game in ! :)

The op and the thread has same great insides but if I want to read more on how to best start the game what website should I go to?

Played some of demon souls but not a lot, so most terms I do not really understand yet.

Also I have been to the community topic.

deim0s

The Dutch Slayer said:
Finally got the game in ! :)

The op and the thread has same great insides but if I want to read more on how to best start the game what website should I go to?

Played some of demon souls but not a lot, so most terms I do not really understand yet.

Also I have been to the community topic.
Go in blind. If you have specific questions, look it up on the wiki or ask them here. It's better that you don't spoil much of the game before playing it.

bj00rn_

Banned
I don't understand how you guys manage to elevate your stats so quickly. I have about 90 hours in the game and I'm still average around 25 on my stats.. (Level 72)

Sotha Sil

deim0s said:
Go in blind. If you have specific questions, look it up on the wiki or ask them here. It's better that you don't spoil much of the game before playing it.

Can't be quoted enough. Guides make the game way too easy; if you've played Demon's Souls, you've got everything you need.

deim0s said:
Ok will do that than :) just finished the tutorial part and now I'm ready for the full game.

BigAT

DigitalDevil said:
What is the Snuggly bug?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
bj00rn_ said:
I don't understand how you guys manage to elevate your stats so quickly. I have about 90 hours in the game and I'm still average around 25 on my stats.. (Level 72)

Honestly, the dragon head glitch has had a huge knock-on effect even for those who haven't used it due to killing an uber-levelled player in PVP yielding stupid numbers of souls.

At this point I'm seriously considering blowing out my character to 50 across the board so I can test every weapon / spell in one place, and starting over again post-patch.

bj00rn_ said:
Youre not intended to level your stats evenly. Pick a build (str, dex, int, faith) and specialize. Resistance as a stat is worthless, never put points into it

johntown

Banned
bj00rn_ said:
That is close to the amount of time I have put into the game and I am SL92. I was able to up my SL pretty quickly through co-op.

Just help people beat the end boss in Anor Londo, The Painted World and New Londo Ruins and you will get a ton of souls........fairly quickly.

orion434

bj00rn_ said:

I don't know if my time is compared to others for 100% but I completed NG+ at SL 131 at ~ 110 hours and basically I always wear the Dark Wood Grain Ring, and I always made sure my load was below 50% I'd have the highest run-speed and flip-dodge. Never used the Soul Glitch and I used the Snuggly glitch to get 99 Twinkling Titanite and I only used 27 of them.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
You know, for some reason this didn't jump out at me until my fourth time through the game, but
why is there a lone silver knight in the Tomb of Giants? Dude's all alone and a long way from Anor Londo.

johntown

Banned
ixix said:
You know, for some reason this didn't jump out at me until my fourth time through the game, but
why is there a lone silver knight in the Tomb of Giants? Dude's all alone and a long way from Anor Londo.
I thought that was a
black knight

BigAT said:
What is the Snuggly bug?

you can abuse snuggly for infinite trades if you do it right. For example, the bloodred moss clump nets you 1 twinkling titanite if you drop it in her nest. Do it like this:

1. Drop the bloodred mos
2. Quit to menu
3. Load game
4. Your bloodred moss will now be a twinkling titanite. DO NOT PICK IT UP!
5. Drop another bloodred moss (off to the side of the nest so you can distinguish between the two)
6. Pick up your twinkling titanite.
7. Quit to menu
8. Repeat.

As long as you drop the item you are trading before you pick up the item that has been left for you, you can keep doing this forever. I am using it to stock up on upgrade items so I don't have to farm as much. Do it quick if you're going to do it, though, as apparently 1.04 is going to remove this glitch!!!

deim0s

bj00rn_ said:
A nephew of mine scored the last hit to an invader (forest covenant) netting him 650k worth of souls! Pushing him from 20 to early 60th level. :/

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
johntown said:
I thought that was a
black knight

Is it?
The lighting in the tomb makes it hard to tell, but I thought he had the longer head spikes of the silver knight helmet.

And here I rather liked the idea that he had a terrible sense of direction and was hopelessly confused. I was envisioning him reaching Nito's chamber and being all "Hey Princess, what's new? Wow, have you lost weight? I thought I remembered you being a bit more... filled-out."

The Dutch Slayer said:
Ok will do that than :) just finished the tutorial part and now I'm ready for the full game.

Make sure you shoot the tail of the dragon when you are under the bridge.
Have high enough Dex to equip a bow & buy enough arrows (15+).

You get the best sword for the first half of the game.

See You Next Wednesday said:
Make sure you shoot the tail of the dragon when you are under the bridge.
Have high enough Dex to equip a bow & buy enough arrows (15+).

You get the best sword for the first half of the game.
I don't know, I wouldn't recommend it! It feels kinda cheap and you also don't have that great feeling of finding new stuff sometimes that's actually better than your equipment/sword if you rush through the game with the drakesword. It's like an easy mode. My opinion. ;D

ixix said:
Well then I guess now you're going to have a +5 that tastes like murder.

I'm not sure that you should take them trying to prevent you from healing as meaning they don't mind you healing. Personally, I think I'd lean toward the opposite conclusion

I guess what he is getting at is that if the guy is making the effort to throw talismans without initial provocation then it is assumed that estus flask healing is an expected part of this particular duel, and if he doesn't use them then he is-- in a way-- imbalancing the duel because the other person is wasting animations throwing talismans while he makes no attempt to heal himself. I guess you could really take this either way though...

Haunted

Xanathus said:
What if.... what if NG+ is actually a
new cycle and the Gwyn you encounter at the end is actually your last cycle's character OMGGGGGG
Would've been a good idea. Final boss wears the equipment you had at the time and you'd get "Soul of *character name*" after the fight instead of the Soul of Gwyn.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Phat Michael said:
My +10 Magic Halberd with 99 INT destroys my +5 Lightning Estoc and even the dragons tooth, Dragon greatsword (Which have been upgraded)

Estoc isn't a heavy weapon, but yea, the Dragon weapons are limited as far as scaling goes. Dragon Tooth scales well, but you can only upgrade it +5.

Plus you glitched to get that 99 INT, so that really doesn't count as far as practical play or PVP goes.

toasty_T said:
I killed the Darkmoon firekeeper in Anor Londo because she became aggressive after I killed Gwyndolin.

Couldn't bring myself to kill anyone else. Especially Spider Girl

If you kill her,
She thinks her sister just murdered her for no reason :(

Zzoram

Clear said:
Honestly, the dragon head glitch has had a huge knock-on effect even for those who haven't used it due to killing an uber-levelled player in PVP yielding stupid numbers of souls.

At this point I'm seriously considering blowing out my character to 50 across the board so I can test every weapon / spell in one place, and starting over again post-patch.

Do it before the patch, it'll be a good character to test stuff with.

Zzoram

shantyman said:
I've been broken. I played and loved Demon's Souls, but this is too much. Too much time dying for an old man 34 year old gamer.

:(

Explain what you're stuck on, we'll tell you what you're doing wrong, you'll breeze by and be happy.

matmanx1

Finished the Painted World and New Londo Ruins this week already and really liked both areas. New Londo is creepy as all heck, especially the bottom areas.

4 Kings fight took me a few attempts but Iron Flesh got me through it. I shudder to think what that fight is going to be like post patch!

Went back to work on Tomb of the Giants last night and made it all the way to Nito only to die in his room as he spammed ranged attacks at me. That move is straight up hax. It was getting late so I called it a night and will make sure Nito gets dealt with tonight.

I continue to be super impressed with the atmosphere and feel of the levels. The skeleton baby area seriously creeped me out and the Tomb of the Giants as a whole is just opressive and evil to its very core. Even as I am wanting to gnash my teeth at the difficulty of that place I am applauding the developers for making something so memorable.

Thagomizer said:
If you kill her,
She thinks her sister just murdered her for no reason :(

Is Our Fair Lady blind like Seath?
Is this why she senses you have Quelaag's soul and treats you as if you were her sister?

matmanx1 said:
Finished the Painted World and New Londo Ruins this week already and really liked both areas. New Londo is creepy as all heck, especially the bottom areas.

4 Kings fight took me a few attempts but Iron Flesh got me through it. I shudder to think what that fight is going to be like post patch!

Did you switch your armor up? Like put on Stone or Havel's set before you dropped in and cast Iron Flesh?

Leunam

matmanx1 said:
Finished the Painted World and New Londo Ruins this week already and really liked both areas.

I really liked Painted World of Aramis (besides the stupid corpse glitch). It was a clever way of adding a new setting - snow-capped fortress - without needing to find a realistic way of connecting it to the rest of the world.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
DieNgamers said:
I don't know, I wouldn't recommend it! It feels kinda cheap and you also don't have that great feeling of finding new stuff sometimes that's actually better than your equipment/sword if you rush through the game with the drakesword. It's like an easy mode. My opinion. ;D

same. I'm no leet gamer and I enjoyed the game without the crazy sword. The lower level enemies let you practice your melee skills without too much punishment

Zzoram

shantyman said:
Everywhere I go, I die. Level 32 or so, with Halberd +6. I just killed the gaping dragon.

Might want to elaborate.

First of all, Blighttown is a bitch. Use the Spider Shield you got in The Depths, it's immune to toxin blow darts if you can block them. Every other shield lets the toxin through eventually. Also, go to Drakeroot Garden (below the blacksmith in Undead Parish) to farm the tree monsters for poison and toxin cures, and level up a bunch while you're there. Buy the 20,000 soul key from the blacksmith ASAP. It unlocks an area with 4 enemies that respawn and are worth a total of 7000 souls, right beside a bonfire. Super farm spot. Set your level/difficulty as you please. Oh, right beside the door you unlock with the 20,000 key, just to the left is a wall. Hit it, secret bonfire that's right beside this sweet farming spot. If you can't kill those enemies, there is a way to trick them into falling off a cliff.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Zzoram said:
Might want to elaborate.

First of all, Blighttown is a bitch. Use the Spider Shield you got in The Depths, it's immune to toxin blow darts if you can block them. Every other shield lets the toxin through eventually. Also, go to Drakeroot Garden (below the blacksmith in Undead Parish) to farm the tree monsters for poison and toxin cures, and level up a bunch while you're there. Buy the 20,000 soul key from the blacksmith ASAP. It unlocks an area with 4 enemies that respawn and are worth a total of 7000 souls, right beside a bonfire. Super farm spot. Set your level/difficulty as you please. Oh, right beside the door you unlock with the 20,000 key, just to the left is a wall. Hit it, secret bonfire that's right beside this sweet farming spot.

I have been to those areas, but did not buy the 20000 soul key (went the long way). I think part of the issue is I don't want to really farm. I am already 23 hours in or something.

I've also rung the top bell—it seems like the only places to go now are blighttown (where I keep getting clubbed off the sides), The area with the drakes (which kill me quickly), New Londo (where the ghost kill me), and the skeleton areas.

Leunam

A note on the little blowpipe toxin guys in Blighttown: they don't respawn! It may be worth doing a suicide run to find the little pricks and kill them so they don't present any more problems in the future.

corrosivefrost said:
Is Our Fair Lady blind like Seath?
Is this why she senses you have Quelaag's soul and treats you as if you were her sister?

Yes. And possibly more than that, as Engyi implies that she hasn't even acknowledged him since she saved his life.

By accident I killed one of the first merchants (the one who sits on the balcony on the castle) and got a Uchigatana from him. I play as a wanderer and the sword seems to be nice - are there any big problems now? I don't have a weapon repair kit yet. I rather start over now when I only played a few hours.

Yo Gotti

Banned
shantyman said:
I have been to those areas, but did not buy the 20000 soul key (went the long way). I think part of the issue is I don't want to really farm. I am already 23 hours in or something.

I've also rung the top bell—it seems like the only places to go now are blighttown (where I keep getting clubbed off the sides), The area with the drakes (which kill me quickly), New Londo (where the ghost kill me), and the skeleton areas.

Stay away from all of those areas besides Blight Town.

You could do the catacombs theoretically but you'd need a divine weapon. Once you have one they're pretty easy.

Yo Gotti

Banned
systemfehler said:
By accident I killed one of the first merchants (the one who sits on the balcony on the castle) and got a Uchigatana from him. I play as a wanderer and the sword seems to be nice - are there any big problems now? I don't have a weapon repair kit yet. I rather start over now when I only played a few hours.

He sells basic arrows, firebombs and basically a lot of tools that make the early game easier. He's not necessary. You should be able to get the repair kit from Andre the Blacksmith, maybe someone else could back me up on that.

Leunam said:
A note on the little blowpipe toxin guys in Blighttown: they don't respawn! It may be worth doing a suicide run to find the little pricks and kill them so they don't present any more problems in the future.

it is absolutely worth doing. In their hideout between the water wheels, they are guarding
a firekeeper soul

Zzoram

shantyman said:

You're supposed to do Blighttown next because that's where the 2nd bell is. The other two areas are technically supposed to be for AFTER Anor Londo since their bosses are gold fog sealed until you beat Anor Londo.

You're a melee character? Do you have a bow? If not, go buy one from the Undead Burg merchant, and some wooden arrows. Then use the first person aim mode to lure out the fatties one at a time. They're really slow in melee so with only one at a time, you should be able to circle around him and get his back. It's best to move out of the way of his club, don't try to block it.

Toxin blow dart guys don't respawn, so if you kill at least one of them before each death, you're golden.

There is 1 bonfire half way down to Blighttown, and another one once you're in the swamp, it's under an arch.

Augemitbutter said:
i assume that it was just too powerful. you can best most encounters without effort, so i doubt it ever worked as intended.

Actually Iron flesh worked exactly as intended.

Completely useless against fast or mobile enemies or enemies that hit really hard (like the Stray Demon).
It was only good for enemies who do moderate damage & just run up to you & stay in one place. It was a viable tactic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom