• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Otheradam

Is there an easier way to get back to the baby skeleton area of Tomb of Giants other than running through the catacombs and the entire tomb again? Warping to Nito's area doesn't seem to have any way of going back up. I really don't want to have to run through the entire area to get the white slab...

scy

Yo Gotti said:
He sells basic arrows, firebombs and basically a lot of tools that make the early game easier. He's not necessary. You should be able to get the repair kit from Andre the Blacksmith, maybe someone else could back me up on that.

The Repair Kit slightly cheaper from Andre; kill both of them then I have no idea where you get the kit from, lol.

Anything important from the first vendor can be found on his corpse when you kill him though so it's not a huge deal to off him. He's only really important due to him being the first vendor with Arrows; other than that, just off him for the Uchigatana honestly.

Otheradam said:
Is there an easier way to get back to the baby skeleton area of Tomb of Giants other than running through the catacombs and the entire tomb again? Warping to Nito's area doesn't seem to have any way of going back up. I really don't want to have to run through the entire area to get the white slab...

Not really. But the Catacombs, when completed, is a pretty short run. You can drop down to shortcut 80% of the Catacombs and then the Tomb is a very quick run to get to the end anyway.

Done the run enough times I can do the Tomb section without lights :/

Otheradam said:

Nope. You can run through the Catacombs and to the second bonfire in TotG in about 5 minutes from Firelink.

Drop down a few levels in the Catacombs and go to that spiral staircase that takes to you the blacksmith; after that just run through TotG which should be a minute or two (longer if the skeleton dogs are a challenge). Hopefully you have Cast Light or sunlight maggot by this point.

Otheradam said:

The Nito bonfire warp is kind of a troll-- you can't really use it for anything other than getting out. I guess they didn't want it to be too easy to get to the skeleton baby camp.

scosher

Felix Lighter said:
Any word on the BloodShield post patch? With 1.03, fully upgraded, it only has a stability of 75. I'm hoping they left it alone.

No, 66 stability. All medium shields have had their stability hit with the nerf bat, Hollow Soldier Shield the most.

It's a really minor thing, but I wish that some of the Bonfires had unique models. Having a sword stuck in a mound of ash just outside of Gwynevere's room threw me a little just because of how incredibly out of place it looked.

grendelrt

scosher said:
No, 66 stability. All medium shields have had their stability hit with the nerf bat, Hollow Soldier Shield the most.
I wish they would let people get their materials back on stuff they super nerfed. I was using the Quelaag Fury Sword, Hollow Shield, and Antiquated Skirt....sucks to know I wasted all my materials on them only for them to be now be worthless (sword not as much at least).

scosher

Anyone use a Murakumo? Looking to make a faith build with a heavy, stun-locking weapon and deciding between Claymore or Murakumo. Never had a toon with the Str requirements for the latter though so I have no idea how good it is, or if it's worth the investment in Str.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
shantyman said:
I have been to those areas, but did not buy the 20000 soul key (went the long way). I think part of the issue is I don't want to really farm. I am already 23 hours in or something.

I've also rung the top bell—it seems like the only places to go now are blighttown (where I keep getting clubbed off the sides), The area with the drakes (which kill me quickly), New Londo (where the ghost kill me), and the skeleton areas.

go into blighttown from the other entrance. (firelink -> new londo ruins -> valley of drakes). If you just want to get in there for the boss you never need to head to the section with the mutant guys - just a couple of trolls in the entrance which you can pick off slowly, then some annoying mosquitos

Pumped 8 points into strength so I could use the Greatsword of Artorias only to find out when I excitedly equipped it that it needs 20 faith too FFFFFFF

scosher said:

Damn. What a waste. Weight is a major issue for my character because I'm always hovering right around 50% Equip limit with my gear. I'll have to make some more compromises.

So I accidently whacked the female undead merchant once. (She frightened me when i first went up the stairs) Now all she does is yell at me as I pass by, anyway to fix this?

At first it didnt bug me too much until the swamp in blighttown... I ended up using up all the moss I had acquired and apparently shes the only one that sells it? Any advice for getting through the swamp without moss? Guess i just need to kindle some fires and solve my woes with estus overkill.

scosher

Felix Lighter said:
Damn. What a waste. Weight is a major issue for my character because I'm always hovering right around 50% Equip limit with my gear. I'll have to make some more compromises.

Don't forget that the patch also increases base equip burden by I think +10 (maybe +6). That's enough wiggle room to switch to Silver Knight Shield.

Soulhouf

RadicalRad said:
Any advice for getting through the swamp without moss? Guess i just need to kindle some fires and solve my woes with estus overkill.
Evil Eye ring + bow -> shot those mosquitoes. You will get 30 HP for every kill and since they keep coming back you can maintain your HP high enough to survive this area while exploring.

koshunter said:
Has Nacmo said anything on when the patch is going to land for the US/EU versions? Playing the game is frustrating when you know so much stuff has been fixed but not in your version.

The patch gets rid of YOU DEFEATED and is therefore dead to me.

Sullichin

scosher said:
Don't forget that the patch also increases base equip burden by I think +10 (maybe +6). That's enough wiggle room to switch to Silver Knight Shield.

whaaaaa
will this add +10 (or +6) to my current character's equip max??

Vice

RadicalRad said:
So I accidently whacked the female undead merchant once. (She frightened me when i first went up the stairs) Now all she does is yell at me as I pass by, anyway to fix this?

At first it didnt bug me too much until the swamp in blighttown... I ended up using up all the moss I had acquired and apparently shes the only one that sells it? Any advice for getting through the swamp without moss? Guess i just need to kindle some fires and solve my woes with estus overkill.

Just run through and act like the poison is no big deal. If you don't get hit you'll have plenty of time to heal the poison damage. Even during the boss fight.

scy

scosher said:
Anyone use a Murakumo? Looking to make a faith build with a heavy, stun-locking weapon and deciding between Claymore or Murakumo. Never had a toon with the Str requirements for the latter though so I have no idea how good it is, or if it's worth the investment in Str.

The Murakumo is one of the better Occult Faith scaling options, though I never found it worth the 12 STR/3 DEX requirements over the Claymore (202 Physical/212 Magic base vs 184/192, if I recall). Sorry I can't really comment much more than that :/ I've always stuck with the Claymore over the Murakumo.

The Grant is another option but ... 50 STR is a lot (34 STR to two-hand). And that's a post-patch sort of thing

Sullichin

RadicalRad said:

Go to the forest. Tree people drop your precious moss. You don't need the 20k door either.

So I killed the Capra Demon for the first time last night, on my second try. The first time I lost I was like, this is impossible, I'm at a dead end, all the other areas are too hard. Then I looked him up on the Dark Souls wiki and it says you can run up the stairs in the back and do a plunging attack on him. So I try it again, and lo and behold, plunging attacks DESTROY this mofo. It's insane how good plunging attacks are. Made it to the Depths on my quest for a Green Titanite, can't wait to make my Halberd Divine.

It was the same way with Demon's Souls. I'd get so far and be like, oh shit this is impossible fuck this I quit. Then I'd look at the wiki and kill a boss so I could inch a bit further, then plow through a bunch of areas with no guidance whatsoever.

Killing the Belfry Gargoyles was a revelation in how useful NPCs are in boss battles. Summoned Solaire after dying to those douchebags like 10 times and killed them in one go.

Compared to Demon's Souls I haven't had to exploit the AI of many enemies to progress, which is good. Flamelurker you could trap on the environment and just pummel with magic nonstop. Old King Allant you could just poison cloud from the stairs with no reaction. I feel those bosses were broken anyways, so I had no qualms about doing it. Another example, enemies couldn't climb steps so in 5-1 Giant Depraved ones were easy to kite to some steps and just annihilate. Skeletons in 4-1 and 4-2 would sometimes just roll off ledges.

The only real AI exploit I did so far was killing Havel by luring him out of the bottom of the watchtower and hitting him when he would leash back to his spawn. I tried the "legit" way but it was too hard, didn't want to rely on luck hoping that I'd dodge every overhead strike successfully. You can kill me in one hit? Well guess what, I can poke you to death while you're helpless the whole time. Just deserts.

Really liking the game so far, I'm half burnt out on it because I went straight from putting 50 hours into Demon's Souls and finishing it, right into playing Dark Souls. But whenever I feel like giving the game a break I look up something, see some cool info, and have to play it for a few hours. lol

This and Demon's Souls are my games of the generation easily, and it's funny to think when I originally bought Demon's Souls I hated it. Someone stated before and I totally agree, these games bring me back to the NES era, where you relied on word of mouth from people to find out some item or area even existed, or how to beat a certain boss. So fun.

PantherAttacks said:
The patch gets rid of YOU DEFEATED and is therefore dead to me.

I can't believe they really did that. Moreover I can't believe people complained enough to make them take the time to do that. Besides, it's personality. I remember absolutely nothing about Mario Sunshine other than SHINE GET in the Japanese version.

maomaoIYP

scosher said:

I think you can try the Zweihander, if I recall correctly it has obscene range and has the same speed as a Claymore.

elty

I need a compelling strategy for S&O, S first.

50% equip with highest phy def
+3 lightening spear
+10 hollow shield
Socery ring, phy def ring
Fire ball, fire orb, great combustion

Kite S&O, throw fireball at S if possible.

After S dies, stay close and behind O. Always block, combust if possible.

vilmer_

MomoPufflet said:
I can't believe they really did that. Moreover I can't believe people complained enough to make them take the time to do that. Besides, it's personality. I remember absolutely nothing about Mario Sunshine other than SHINE GET in the Japanese version.

It really is silly that they removed it. It made me smile every time I saw it. Banish the complainers to Hollow form for eternity I say.

Booshka

maomaoIYP said:
I think you can try the Zweihander, if I recall correctly it has obscene range and has the same speed as a Claymore.
No, the Claymore is a little quicker, the Zweihander does have insane range though, and a ton of damage. But, it is a slow weapon that you have to get used to.

johntown

Banned
elty said:

+3 lightening spear
+10 hollow shield

Co-op......you go in first and draw the fire from Orenstein and let your co-op buddies take care of smough first.

That is exactly how I did it my first run.

krakov

S&O is really easy if you use the pillars. They really can't hit you at all if you play it safe. Just stand on the other side of a pillar (broken one is fine) and go for a hit when they recover.

one85x

elty said:

+3 lightening spear
+10 hollow shield

Summoning Solaire really makes the first part of the fight a lot easier. Otherwise you'll just be circling around the room for 30min trying to find any opportunity to attack Smough. Ya, for Ornstein, just stay between his legs. The biggest risk there is getting out of range of the lightning drop. If you can avoid that, then the fight shouldn't be a problem.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Vice said:
Just run through and act like the poison is no big deal. If you don't get hit you'll have plenty of time to heal the poison damage. Even during the boss fight.

and the landmass (around pillars and the swamp edge) is usually spaced so you can run between them before getting poisoned.

Leunam

one85x said:
Ya, for Ornstein, just stay between his legs. The biggest risk there is getting out of range of the lightning drop. If you can avoid that, then the fight shouldn't be a problem.

I didn't fight Uber-Ornstein, so I don't know how he acts, but the lightning slam attack sounds more like Uber-Smough.

scosher

johntown said:
Co-op......you go in first and draw the fire from Orenstein and let your co-op buddies take care of smough first.

That is exactly how I did it my first run.

I'd be careful of that, cause at least when I help as a phantom, I go attack whichever boss the host is tackling first. So in that situation, I would assume he wants Ornstein dead first and help him out.

maomaoIYP

Booshka said:
No, the Claymore is a little quicker, the Zweihander does have insane range though, and a ton of damage. But, it is a slow weapon that you have to get used to.

Slower like the ultra greatswords? I haven't gone to pick it up yet. I'm also trying to decide on a good large weapon to stick with, the dragon tooth and the heavy axes are REALLY slow.

elty said:

+3 lightening spear
+10 hollow shield

On top of that, make sure that the both of them are always in view and use the pillars to block their attacks (Smough's in particular). If you wanna take out Ornstein second and since you're a pyro too; I went about it like this.

- Get your positioning right. Make your way around the room cw/a-cw whatever. This ensures that Smough never hits you or close to that.
- Once he fails any of his attacks, throw a fireball/great fireball/fire orb. Use up any of your projectiles.
- Eventually Smough will fall, at this point slap on that Iron Flesh and tank Ornstein and use all your combustions. When you get close all he'll do is his buttsplash and Iron Flesh has no issues handling it

The End

Learn how to manage them when they're together. As I said, use the pillars. Smough shouldn't be able to touch you.

tokkun

MomoPufflet said:

I get the feeling that they've been patching to address comments in reviews.

The first thing patched out was curse stacking, which featured heavily in late preview coverage.

johntown

Banned
scosher said:
I'd be careful of that, cause at least when I help as a phantom, I go attack whichever boss the host is tackling first. So in that situation, I would assume he wants Ornstein dead first and help him out.
Yeah, I can see that for sure. He could always try sending a message and hope they speak english.

When I help people I tend to go for whichever one they are not because when you seperate both bosses it makes the fight easier.

EDIT: Most people can handle one of them on their own.

elty said:
I actually tried iron flesh on S, but the big S can stagger me almost every hit :/

Iron Flesh is more a hindrance against Smough. You want your mobility against him.

edit: do you guys pronounce it Smoug or Smouff?

Smouff just sounds... off

54-46! said:
Can I defeat the last boss and still roam around and collect the final pieces before "ending" my first playthrough?

No

toasty_T said:
Iron Flesh is more a hindrance against Smough. You want your mobility against him.

edit: do you guys pronounce it Smoug or Smouff?

Smouff just sounds... off

S'mo

scosher said:

Wow, I forgot about that. That might be enough to get me to change my leg armor. Which will make my dex character have some pretty ridiculous armor...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom