• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Booshka

maomaoIYP said:
Slower like the ultra greatswords? I haven't gone to pick it up yet. I'm also trying to decide on a good large weapon to stick with, the dragon tooth and the heavy axes are REALLY slow.
The Zweihander is a good weapon to use, if the scaling is fixed you could use it at +15, otherwise Lightning +5 is boss mode, it is slow, but not terribly slow and it is light considering the power it has.

scy

maomaoIYP said:
Slower like the ultra greatswords? I haven't gone to pick it up yet. I'm also trying to decide on a good large weapon to stick with, the dragon tooth and the heavy axes are REALLY slow.

The Zweihander is an Ultra Greatsword; Claymore is just a regular Greatsword. The Claymore and the Bastard Sword are pretty similar, though the Claymore has the thrust R2 going for it.

High STR weapon wise, the BK Greataxe is probably the best weapon in terms of damage per swing and swing speed.

Booshka

scy said:
The Zweihander is an Ultra Greatsword; Claymore is just a regular Greatsword. The Claymore and the Bastard Sword are pretty similar, though the Claymore has the thrust R2 going for it.

High STR weapon wise, the BK Greataxe is probably the best weapon in terms of damage per swing and swing speed.
This is the ultimate suggestion, but it weighs 16.0 and you either gotta be lucky to get it, or farm for it in the last area of the game. Totally worth it though.

SYNTAX182

maomaoIYP said:

Yeah, it is an Ultra Greatsword, it's twice as slow as the Claymore, but it's a great weapon if you get used to the speed and timing.

Booshka said:
This is the ultimate suggestion, but it weighs 16.0 and you either gotta be lucky to get it, or farm for it in the last area of the game. Totally worth it though.

The Black Knight Greataxe+5 is the only weapon I roll with now.

Booshka

KoreanBarbecue said:
The Black Knight Greataxe+5 is the only weapon I roll with now.
Same thing happened to me once I got it, nearly 3 playthroughs straight where it was all I used.

I rolled a new character that is a Pyromancer, so I'm not focusing on STR, but I just now got the Furysword, and that thing is amazing as well. The requirements for it are unbelievably low and it has a very high DPS. Almost too easy to be fair, for how good it is, and how simple the requirements are.

Septimius

I am wondering what builds I want to make for this game. I know I need one that uses the best weapon that you can still use magic buffs on. With high INT, it should provide a devastating damage output, plus I can use magic otherwise.

I know I have to make a high STR build - I am not one for those slow weapons, but the way defense works in this game, it completely ignores RES what attack rating is that high, which is a shame, but means you can 3 hit anyone with a big enough weapon.

I should make a mean parry-build, too.

Man, a lot of fantastic options in this game.

I finally got to the Kiln last night and farmed a BK greataxe, and upgraded it to +5 immediately. First thing I've ever spent my twinkling on. And it was totally worth it.

It is just as good as everybody says!

tokkun

Backfoggen said:
Takes ten years to get an invasion in the forest and when you do it's some Fog Ring & TWOP using asshole.

I've been noticing this tactic in the Forest lately:

Human comes in wearing the Fog Ring, summons a co-op player, then hides. Invader sees the co-op player and attacks, and while they are fighting the fogged player snipes with sorcery and/or casts TWOP.

johntown

Banned
tokkun said:

Human comes in wearing the Fog Ring, summons a co-op player, then hides. Invader sees the co-op player and attacks, and while they are fighting the fogged player snipes with sorcery and/or casts TWOP.
Same here but this only happened to me after I crushed the same guy like 5 times in a row. Then exactly as you are describing happened to me.

sleepykyo

tokkun said:

Sounds about right. It's a given that any pvp in the Forest or Dark Anor Londo translates into party v. party.

.GqueB.

Banned
BeeDog said:
The areas that initially seem terrifying are often extremely straightforward, unfortunately.
Agreed. I remember before going to Blight town I was scared shitless. So much that I just avoided it for as long as I could. Then I went down there, was super careful and only died once (by mistake no less). Same thing at Sen's. Went in there ready to die and I simply never did.

I still fear Tomb of the giants though. Everyone on earth seems to hate it.

Prophet Steve said:
Welp, didn't knew you immediately died when cursed. So for the first time I lost everything I have. It happened in the sewers.

haha, this happened to me too. I was so scared I summoned two phantoms and they were just slaughtering everything. I was just following them and then realized I was about to get cursed.

"Oh well, I can just drink an estu...................FUCK!!!!!!!!"

johntown

Banned
.GqueB. said:
I think I hate Sen's more. The ONLY thing about it I hate is that last set of swining blades. For some reason it takes me like 5 tries before I get it right.

Heysoos

Question. Yesterday I finished off Gaping Dragon and got the key to Blight Town. However, it seems that going through the Depths to get to Blight Town seems more work than just running from Firelink through New Londo and Drake's Valley and heading straight for the boss. Do I miss anything extremely important doing this? Thanks.

def sim

johntown said:
I think I hate Sen's more. The ONLY thing about it I hate is that last set of swining blades. For some reason it takes me like 5 tries before I get it right.

Last one has a gap in the middle, IIRC.

.GqueB.

Banned
johntown said:
You arent trying to stop and such like you do the first two sets are you? For the last two you just run through (you need light armor). The very last set requires maybe a roll and a jump but you'll know.

Heysoos said:
Question. Yesterday I finished off Gaping Dragon and got the key to Blight Town. However, it seems that going through the Depths to get to Blight Town seems more work than just running from Firelink through New Londo and Drake's Valley and heading straight for the boss. Do I miss anything extremely important doing this? Thanks.
You miss the satisfaction of completing Blightown. But yea theres some good stuff in there from what I recall.

rance said:
Last one has a gap in the middle, IIRC.

yeah, it appears from the start as if you should make one run of it, but if you do that you will almost always fall. You need to run/roll past the first two, then run/roll past the next two to make it safely.

johntown

Banned
.GqueB. said:
You arent trying to stop and such like you do the first two sets are you? For the last two you just run through (you need light armor). The very last set requires maybe a roll and a jump but you'll know.
Yeah, I have better luck when I stop in-between them.

sleepykyo

tokkun said:
Does Darkmoon allow more than one invader to be summoned?

Seems like it. I was summoned in to Anor Londo while another blue phantom was actively being double teamed by the target and a white phantom.

Does anyone know how Gravelord one works? I've only been able to drop one eye of death at a time and even after my character got the shadow effect of him, I was never challenged.

Booshka

.GqueB. said:
The second to last one requires a dash through, but the last one doesn't, it has a gap in the middle, just adjust your camera to get a better view and you will see it easily.

.GqueB.

Banned
johntown said:
Yeah, I have better luck when I stop in-between them.
Damn that sounds nerve racking. The biggest wtf moment I had in there was when I was in the area where the boulder hits the wall and turns the corner. I was trying to get out there as fast a possible so I follow RIGHT behind. Fucking thing damaged me. I screamed out loud "HOW THE FUCK DID IT HIT ME IM BEHIND IT?!". My cat ran off scared shitless.

I think I had like 1 HP left it was so close.

TommyT

Sen's Fortress swinging blades tip: If you're not worried about a mob hitting you, tilt the camera up (so you're looking down) as far as it will go and you can see how close the blades are while still being able to walk forward.

Heysoos said:

.GqueB. said:
You miss the satisfaction of completing Blightown. But yea theres some good stuff in there from what I recall.

No, you don't miss anything extremely important. There's a katana, whip, pyromancy spell, poison resistant/lightweight/ninja armor, souls, and uhhh yeah, that's pretty much it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Heysoos said:

no. You can work through blight town right up to the other side of that door if you want to clear it out. I found it fun, and the enemies in that 2nd section (towards the depths entrance) were good to fight.

vhfive

.GqueB. said:
Damn that sounds nerve racking. The biggest wtf moment I had in there was when I was in the area where the boulder hits the wall and turns the corner. I was trying to get out there as fast a possible so I follow RIGHT behind. Fucking thing damaged me. I screamed out loud "HOW THE FUCK DID IT HIT ME IM BEHIND IT?!". My cat ran off scared shitless.

I think I had like 1 HP left it was so close.
lol i did the same thing. if you touch the boulder even if it's stopped and going around a corner it takes off massive damage.

Today is hopefully the day I finally finish off my last three achievements in this masterpiece. Just have the rare weapons and the get all miracles ones left, as well as the "you got all the other achievements." Now, just need to rescue that damned Onion Knight from those horrific silver knights without messing it up!

Macattk15

.GqueB. said:
Agreed. I remember before going to Blight town I was scared shitless. So much that I just avoided it for as long as I could. Then I went down there, was super careful and only died once (by mistake no less). Same thing at Sen's. Went in there ready to die and I simply never did.

Once you go through Tomb of Giants once ... you realize its actually really tiny and you could blitz through it in probably a few minutes hitting the bonfires as long as you have a light / know where to go.

Dresden

Don't forget the Eagle Shield in the first half of Blighttown. With the upcoming patch it'll be the most protective shield with a low str requirement.

matmanx1

I used Stone set with the Dusk Crown. Great Combustion and Great Fireball from point blank range. Still a very tough fight though as I survived a grab move with very little health left.

Regarding Nito, is there any way to dodge his ranged sword from the ground move? That coupled with his skeleton buddies is sort of alot to deal with.

matmanx1 said:
I used Stone set with the Dusk Crown. Great Combustion and Great Fireball from point blank range. Still a very tough fight though as I survived a grab move with very little health left.

Regarding Nito, is there any way to dodge his ranged sword from the ground move? That coupled with his skeleton buddies is sort of alot to deal with.

That's why I just tanked him into oblivion. I just wore Havel's Armor, the Wolf Ring for more poise, the Cloranthy Ring for increased stamina regen, and two-handed my Black Knight Greataxe. The extra poise and armor should negate most ill effects from his big AOE attack (which will kill his skeletons, btw) and I used that recovery time after he did that move to heal. Besides that, just whack, whack, whack until he was dead.

johntown

Banned
matmanx1 said:

I would run a little then roll. It is all about timing but once you have the timing down you will never get hit from the ranged sword.

Booshka

grendelrt said:
Do you guys 2 hand it or did you get 36 strength to one hand it?
I one hand it mostly, it's tailored for a STR build, so your stats should be up there anyway. The 1H R1 Sweep attack is great and quick.

grendelrt

Booshka said:
I one hand it mostly, it's tailored for a STR build, so your stats should be up there anyway. The 1H R1 Sweep attack is great and quick.

I think i am 24str/24dex so it would take a little bit to get to 36. Maybe I will try hmmmmmmm

grendelrt said:
Do you guys 2 hand it or did you get 36 strength to one hand it?

I one-hand it. I found the damage increase for two-hand to not be worth running around without a shield (I'm NG++, too, so enemies can kill me pretty quickly as it is).

Wallachia

Anor Londo:

I am knee deep in endless tries on Ornstein and Smough. Fun pair they are. So I try to help other players beat them (to get humanity for my own summonings) but die there too. Love the game mechanics though. And that Giant Blacksmith is awesome. I was hoping he would have a deep voice, dumb kiddie attitude.. and he does. Bravo, From. Talk no good, Work good. haha

I have like 5 boss souls, but the Giant won't upgrade any of them. Do ALL weapons need to be at +10 to be upgraded elementally? Nevermind, found this: http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Boss+Soul+Weapons

GeekyDad

Heysoos said:

There's actually a shit-ton of loot in Blighttown. Some notable goodies: Eagle Shield, Iaito, Crimson Robes, Firekeeper's Souls...the list goes on -- close to 20 things to nab. I wouldn't skip it. But I would, however, ignore the Great Hollow for now.

Wallachia

KoreanBarbecue said:
Today is hopefully the day I finally finish off my last three achievements in this masterpiece. Just have the rare weapons and the get all miracles ones left, as well as the "you got all the other achievements." Now, just need to rescue that damned Onion Knight from those horrific silver knights without messing it up!

Hmm.... Mmm....

Quite a pickle indeed...

;))

Wallachia

GeekyDad said:
There's actually a shit-ton of loot in Blighttown. Some notable goodies: Eagle Shield, Iaito, Crimson Robes, Firekeeper's Souls...the list goes on -- close to 20 things to nab. I wouldn't skip it. But I would, however, ignore the Great Hollow for now.

Yeah, I have not even beat the game, and I am already relishing the idea od going back to some favorite areas, yes I like Blighttown.. it's like Symphony of the Night all over again.. having favorite areas and their moods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom