• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wallachia said:
Anor Londo:

I am knee deep in endless tries on Ornstein and Smough. Fun pair they are. So I try to help other players beat them (to get humanity for my own summonings) but die there too. Love the game mechanics though. And that Giant Blacksmith is awesome. I was hoping he would have a deep voice, dumb kiddie attitude.. and he does. Bravo, From. Talk no good, Work good. haha

I have like 5 boss souls, but the Giant won't upgrade any of them. Do ALL weapons need to be at +10 to be upgraded elementally? Nevermind, found this: http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Boss+Soul+Weapons

Yeah, if I remember correctly, all boss weapon/soul upgrades need to be done on a +10 weapon/shield. As for O/S, I just used the Crystal Ring Shield and spammed em both to death. I'm not sure if the update has hit the US yet. If it hasn't, just use that. Even at its base state (non upgraded), you'll take each one day super fast if you just use that shield's parry move.

Dresden

It's more satisfying to melee them to death, though.

The easy way is to just have Solaire tank one while you dps the other one down. Smough is the easier of the two to handle for melee characters once one goes down, but I highly, highly recommend getting Ornstein second in your first game.

matmanx1 said:
Regarding Nito, is there any way to dodge his ranged sword from the ground move?

It can be rolled away from if you time it right or you can outrun it, but I was never able to do either with 100% consistency. The curve of the blade plays a factor but I was too lazy to figure out the conditions for anticipating which way it will point. It's a little easier to avoid it with <25% encumbrance.

Hesemonni

Banned
Four kings down. Painted world and final boss to go.

Why is this game easier than Demon's Souls which I was never able to finish?

EasyMode

Hesemonni said:

I bet if you went back to Demon's Souls you would have no problem. It probably just clicked this time around.

scosher

54-46! said:
Worth upgrading the Elite Knight set?

Getting the nerf bat next patch. It's poise is reduced by almost 1/4, and I think the regular Knight set comes out on top now, in terms of sets with no stamina regen penalty.

Eccocid

ok finally got the game! limited Edition! lol tiny art book!

Couple of questions before diving to game seriously.
I need some hints. I started Demons Souls as a Thief back then first time. even tho it added extra difficulty at beginning it was a fun ride. When i replayed as Royalty i felt like cheating.

So i rolled Thief again in Dark Souls.

finished tutorial area no problems.
But should i switch to a mage class? Does it brake the game? I can't decide! I know you can practically be every class in game but is Pyro fun?

I saw some skills that you can pick up at the beginning. Any hints about what to pick up?

I don't wanna restart game like 5 times till i get a proper class. But damn those 2 skeletons at graveyard in the very first area after tutorial...They are raping to me lol. Much faster than Demons Souls skeletons.

Sullichin

Hesemonni said:

if you die in this game you get your estus flasks back. if you die in demons souls you don't get your healing grass that you used up back and have to farm for it or buy it. This was the reason I stopped playing DeS.

Eccocid said:
ok finally got the game! limited Edition! lol tiny art book!

Couple of questions before diving to game seriously.
I need some hints. I started Demons Souls as a Thief back then first time. even tho it added extra difficulty at beginning it was a fun ride. When i replayed as Royalty i felt like cheating.

So i rolled Thief again in Dark Souls.

finished tutorial area no problems.
But should i switch to a mage class? Does it brake the game? I can't decide! I know you can practically be every class in game but is Pyro fun?

I saw some skills that you can pick up at the beginning. Any hints about what to pick up?

I don't wanna restart game like 5 times till i get a proper class. But damn those 2 skeletons at graveyard in the very first area after tutorial...They are raping to me lol. Much faster than Demons Souls skeletons.

You aren't supposed to go there until MUCH later in the game. Run through that area to the right of where you drop down, get all the loot, and let them kill you. You want to start by going up the aqueduct.

TommyT

GeekyDad said:
There's actually a shit-ton of loot in Blighttown. Some notable goodies: Eagle Shield, Iaito, Crimson Robes, Firekeeper's Souls...the list goes on -- close to 20 things to nab. I wouldn't skip it. But I would, however, ignore the Great Hollow for now.

None of those are "extremely important" and the best of those can be gotten without having to go through the door by Gaping Dragon. You can get the Robes, Firekeeper's Soul, and even the Great Hollow by going through Valley of the Drakes.

He can skip most of it and just go straight to the swap with no real issues.

johntown

Banned
Sullichin said:
if you die in this game you get your estus flasks back. if you die in demons souls you don't get your healing grass that you used up back and have to farm for it or buy it. This was the reason I stopped playing DeS.
Really?? The grass was one of the most abundant things in the game. I always had more than enough.

Finalow

ok, even at SL 120 i can't find anyone at new londo ruins.
anyone to summon and any invasions, 0. nothing.
seems like a bug: i'm human but for the game i'm undead, i can only see red messages. =|

and what about the patch in EU or USA? A date?

Wallachia

54-46! said:
Worth upgrading the Elite Knight set?

Im rocking Elite Knight helm +8 and armor +9, plus upgraded Black Leather boots and gloves. Just cause I love the look and sound of them. And they are strong at this point. Plus, wearing Havel's ring is helping me run like the wind. Next I might upgrade silver knight armor. Though I would prefer to find black knight armor..

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
TommyT said:
None of those are "extremely important" and the best of those can be gotten without having to go through the door by Gaping Dragon. You can get the Robes, Firekeeper's Soul, and even the Great Hollow by going through Valley of the Drakes.

This makes no sense to me. Why would you want to skip Gaping Dragon which probably the coolest looking boss in the game and also one of the easiest, by going past a gauntlet of lightning spewing drakes that are a pain to kill?

Gearwise Iaito by itself justifies the trip.

Clear said:
This makes no sense to me. Why would you want to skip Gaping Dragon which probably the coolest looking boss in the game and also one of the easiest, by going past a gauntlet of lightning spewing drakes that are a pain to kill?

You can sprint past the drakes fairly easily, and you only need to pass two and avoid awakening the Undead Dragon to make it in the clear.

Mindlog

Wallachia said:
Quick question: Who do you get the PROPER BOW gesture from?
The Lady of the Lake.

mild spoilers jic
Darkroot Basin. After killing the hydra quite and reload the game. In a cave to the back left will be a golem. Kill him. Hug the wall to avoid falling into any holes. Careful, there is 1 hole in front of the waterfall.

TommyT

Wallachia said:
Im rocking Elite Knight helm +8 and armor +9, plus upgraded Black Leather boots and gloves. Just cause I love the look and sound of them. And they are strong at this point. Plus, wearing Havel's ring is helping me run like the wind. Next I might upgrade silver knight armor. Though I would prefer to find black knight armor..

You'll get it... but REALLY late.

Clear said:

Well first, it doesn't matter if it makes sense to you or not as it's about what he's doing. Second, he's not skipping Gaping Dragon. He said he killed it and got the key, but was wondering if he could skip that mess and just go to the swap via Valley of the Drakes. Last, he asked if there was anything "extremely important" that he would miss... to which the answer is no*.

*there are extenuating circumstances that might require you to get the Iaito I guess if it ends up being the best sword for some build... but as of now, there's nothing that makes it EXTREME.gif.

edit: Sorry if that first bit sounds harsh. However when people ask a question I feel you give them the answer they're looking for regardless of their reasoning. If they want to know 'why', they'll ask.

Aselith

TommyT said:
You'll get it... but REALLY late.

Well first, it doesn't matter if it makes sense to you or not as it's about what he's doing. Second, he's not skipping Gaping Dragon. He said he killed it and got the key, but was wondering if he could skip that mess and just go to the swap via Valley of the Drakes. Last, he asked if there was anything "extremely important" that he would miss... to which the answer is no*.

*there are extenuating circumstances that might require you to get the Iaito I guess if it ends up being the best sword for some build... but as of now, there's nothing that makes it EXTREME.gif.

edit: Sorry if that first bit sounds harsh. However when people ask a question I feel you give them the answer they're looking for regardless of their reasoning. If they want to know 'why', they'll ask.
Also you can get Iato. Right at the beginning of BT so you don't need to do the whole thing to get it.

tokkun

Thagomizer said:
Elite Knight Helm, Silver Knight torso, and Ninja legs/gloves is so cool it hurts.

If you want to look like a god:

Antiquated Skirt, Armor of Glory, Black Iron Gauntlets, Sunlight Maggot, Balder Shield, and Queelag's Fury Sword.

I wear that kit for co-op purely to make my character look like a badass. Unfortunately Armor of Glory and Balder Shield are both pretty awful for PvP.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Wallachia said:
I got the Iatio (sp?).. Is it something worth upgrading?
Yes. I started very confused about the buzz surrounding this weapon too, but it's turned out very useful. The moveset is nice once you get used to it, it's reasonably fast, it causes bleed damage, and you get pretty nice attack damage out of it too.

Wallachia

tokkun said:
If you want to look like a god:

Antiquated Skirt, Armor of Glory, Black Iron Gauntlets, Sunlight Maggot, Balder Shield, and Queelag's Fury Sword.

I wear that kit for co-op purely to make my character look like a badass. Unfortunately Armor of Glory and Balder Shield are both pretty awful for PvP.

Sounds cool. Where do you get these?
Antiquated Skirt
Armor of Glory
Sunlight Maggot

Wallachia said:
Sounds cool. Where do you get these?
Antiquated Skirt
Armor of Glory
Sunlight Maggot

Dusk sell them
Armor of the Glorious? Domhnall of Zena sell them
Sunlight Maggots obtain from bug near shortcut in Lost Izarith

sixghost

scosher said:
Getting the nerf bat next patch. It's poise is reduced by almost 1/4, and I think the regular Knight set comes out on top now, in terms of sets with no stamina regen penalty.
Anything been said about the Steel set being nerfed or buffed? It seems a little too strong for it's weight.

.GqueB.

Banned
Manmademan said:
Youre not intended to level your stats evenly. Pick a build (str, dex, int, faith) and specialize. Resistance as a stat is worthless, never put points into it
oh....... :(

But Im in the same boat as the guy you are quoting. Im at level 53 and none of my stats are above 20. Would you recommend leveling up strength AND dexterity or just pick one or the other to level up? Otherwise, I plan on leveling up int, end and vit.

EasyMode

sixghost said:
Anything been said about the Steel set being nerfed or buffed? It seems a little too strong for it's weight.
What? I hope not! It's got decent poise and doesn't look like shit. Please leave it, From.

Also how badly was the Hollow Soldier Shield nerfed?

Sullichin

I told myself I was done with this game I can't fucking believe I'm in NG+ and still furiously want to go home and play it.

I wish Quelagg's Fury Sword was better, I know it scales with humanity but it still seems to not be as beastly as it should be.

.GqueB.

Banned
shantyman said:
I have been to those areas, but did not buy the 20000 soul key (went the long way). I think part of the issue is I don't want to really farm. I am already 23 hours in or something.

I've also rung the top bell—it seems like the only places to go now are blighttown (where I keep getting clubbed off the sides), The area with the drakes (which kill me quickly), New Londo (where the ghost kill me), and the skeleton areas.
I was in the same situation as you so let me tell you what I ended up doing. I would obtain a bandits knife. I found it to be EXTREMELY useful against those golems and everything else in blightown. It causes bleeding and it also stops a lot of enemies cold. I pretty much went through all of blightown with that and a long sword. And those were pretty weak weapons at the time.

As someone said, get the Spider shield. I only used it because I thought it was cool looking but as someone else said, its good against the poison dart f'ers (which I didnt even know). If you havent already, go back to the undead asylum and get the rusted iron ring. There are black knights in there but I was able to bait them and run right pass them for the loot. Warning though, this COULD kill you. I went there with minimal souls and humanity so I didnt care.

From there I went to the forrest and it seems youve already been there. As someone else said, open the 20k door. The farming is actually fun (and hilarious) here. Help people defeat sif if you really wanna have fun farming (wait for the patch where you apparently get the full lot of souls). Then I hit up sen's which is way less intimidating than I thought it would be. Someone else can weigh in on advice for that area. I mostly went in there with the mind set of be careful, read messages, dont die. And I blazed through it.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Hey! More tales from newbie land and also some questions!

Today I finished the Depths and took down the Gaping Dragon! Really impressive boss, but sorta easy. I summoned the knight, lobbed some firebombs at him then whacked away with the Drake Sword.

Now at this point my gear is starting to feel long in the tooth. I still have business to do at the darkroot garden and basin so I was wondering if it was a good idea to hit that before progressing through blighttown. Which I hear it isnt that worth it since the Valley of the Drakes shortcut through Basin apparently its much better but I say Id like to clear all the areas, at least for my first playthrough.

Specifically about weapons, I know the lightning spear is ahead at sens fortress, but before what options do I have?

Thanks!

johntown

Banned
.GqueB. said:
oh....... :(

But Im in the same boat as the guy you are quoting. Im at level 53 and none of my stats are above 20. Would you recommend leveling up strength AND dexterity or just pick one or the other to level up? Otherwise, I plan on leveling up int, end and vit.
Don't forget ATT if you are going to level INT.

Sullichin

Bitmap Frogs said:
Hey! More tales from newbie land and also some questions!

Today I finished the Depths and took down the Gaping Dragon! Really impressive boss, but sorta easy. I summoned the knight, lobbed some firebombs at him then whacked away with the Drake Sword.

Now at this point my gear is starting to feel long in the tooth. I still have business to do at the darkroot garden and basin so I was wondering if it was a good idea to hit that before progressing through blighttown. Which I hear it isnt that worth it since the Valley of the Drakes shortcut through Basin apparently its much better but I say Id like to clear all the areas, at least for my first playthrough.

Specifically about weapons, I know the lightning spear is ahead at sens fortress, but before what options do I have?

Thanks!

I didn't use the drake sword for long at all in my playthrough. Do you have the divine ember? You can make divine weapons at the undead parish blacksmith. I was rocking Divine Gargoyle's Halberd for the longest time.

Xanathus

O...K, apparently Darkwraith invasions do not have an upper level cap. I invaded an SL100 dude in his NG+ with my SL1 character.

tokkun

Xanathus said:
O...K, apparently Darkwraith invasions do not have an upper level cap. I invaded an SL100 dude in his NG+ with my SL1 character.

Sounds good. I'm assuming anyone who is Darkwraith'ing at SL1 is an experienced player looking to crush noobs.

Booshka

Ill Saint said:
Quit, reload, and his drop should appear.
That worked for the Ninja who backstepped off the cliff once I attacked Shiva in the forest. Saw all the souls pop up and didn't see him come toward me, so I quickly Quit and Reload, his drop was right next to the cliff. Breathed a sigh of relief.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom