• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Septimius

Darkwraith invasions don't have an upper level cap? Holy crap. That explains why it's been so hard to kill some people. Hahaha. I still think I'm at a 75% win-percentage. I should make a video. I'd become famous. I just know it. But I have no capture card. Oh, well!

So, I'm done getting Drake Sword the gimpy way. I just run up to him and whack his tail off, now.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Sullichin said:
I didn't use the drake sword for long at all in my playthrough. Do you have the divine ember? You can make divine weapons at the undead parish blacksmith. I was rocking Divine Gargoyle's Halberd for the longest time.

Unfortunately I didn't get the tails, neither from the gargoyle nor the gaping dragon T_T

And yeah, gave the ember to Andre already.

Dresden

Booshka said:
That worked for the Ninja who backstepped off the cliff once I attacked Shiva in the forest. Saw all the souls pop up and didn't see him come toward me, so I quickly Quit and Reload, his drop was right next to the cliff. Breathed a sigh of relief.
Unfortunately, for whatever reason, Pharis's loot won't do that. I knew it going in but this is the first character it actually happened to. ;___;

Booshka

Dresden said:
Unfortunately, for whatever reason, Pharis's loot won't do that. I knew it going in but this is the first character it actually happened to. ;___;
Damn that sucks, I read stories on here about her jumping off cliffs and taking her loot with her, so when I fight her I am always very careful to try and keep her away from the edge. I move like it is a bullfight, trying to keep her in the direction I want.

.GqueB. said:
oh....... :(

But Im in the same boat as the guy you are quoting. Im at level 53 and none of my stats are above 20. Would you recommend leveling up strength AND dexterity or just pick one or the other to level up? Otherwise, I plan on leveling up int, end and vit.
You need att if youre going to pump int. Dont pump vit either. Its better to upgrade armor and shields for better defense, save your points for int.

Ill Saint

Dresden said:
Argh. Wonder why? Seems to work with a lot of other characters... Kicking Lautrec off his ledge at Firelink to get his stuff is a favourite pastime.

Sullichin

Bitmap Frogs said:
Unfortunately I didn't get the tails, neither from the gargoyle nor the gaping dragon T_T

And yeah, gave the ember to Andre already.

fwiw, I think the regular divine halberd has similar stats

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Booshka said:
That worked for the Ninja who backstepped off the cliff once I attacked Shiva in the forest. Saw all the souls pop up and didn't see him come toward me, so I quickly Quit and Reload, his drop was right next to the cliff. Breathed a sigh of relief.
Does this also work for gold crystal golems? The first time I went into the crystal caves, I fell off while fighting the gold crystal golem there, and during the death message I saw it fall off after me. I don't know if there was anyone trapped inside the golem that I cannot rescue anymore.

Xanathus

tokkun said:
Sounds good. I'm assuming anyone who is Darkwraith'ing at SL1 is an experienced player looking to crush noobs.
Also means that players who exploit to the stat caps can still be invaded.

gioGAF

If anyone from Bamco / From reads this board:

I'm extremely ANNOYED and ANGRY with some of the contents of the patch. I spent countless HOURS upgrading my gear and now it is OBSOLETE. I purchased a guide that is also now OBSOLETE.

Many of the changes contained in the patch are also not very well thought out. If you plan on changing something, please think it through rather than doing everything in a half-assed manner. Examples:

- You fix S/Magic Shield by removing the GLITCHED invincibility. Then you reduce the duration to 10 seconds making it USELESS. Why?
- You fix Tranquil Walk of Peace / Stone Sword gravity effect by changing encumbrance from 100% to 50%. Then you reduce the duration to 10 seconds making it USELESS. Why?
- You decide that Iron Flesh is a problem (hint: it wasn't), so you decide to make it USELESS instead. Why?
- You reduce the effectiveness of Pyromancy instead of taking the time to make sorceries and miracles not suck. Lazy much?
- Medium shields nerfed. I get the logic behind it, but all this does is confirm that you were too lazy / cheap to have the game properly looked at before release.

The amount of time I WASTED on gear that you nerfed (Elite Knight Set, Medium Shields ALL) is staggering. P2P was already a HUGE slap in the face (no reliably playing with friends! WTF! Cheapskates!!). I hope you take the time and resources to make sure everything is handled properly or I will make sure that I NEVER buy a product with your name on it (read: I will get used or borrowed).

If you plan on releasing a half finished game, please let the consumer know that is the case. Don't waste my time and money (unfinished game, obsoleted guide).

TommyT

gioGAF said:

I'm extremely ANNOYED and ANGRY with some of the contents of the patch. I spent countless HOURS upgrading my gear and now it is OBSOLETE. I purchased a guide that is also now OBSOLETE.

Many of the changes contained in the patch are also not very well thought out. If you plan on changing something, please think it through rather than doing everything in a half-assed manner. Examples:

- You fix S/Magic Shield by removing the GLITCHED invincibility. Then you reduce the duration to 10 seconds making it USELESS. Why?
- You fix Tranquil Walk of Peace / Stone Sword gravity effect by changing encumbrance from 100% to 50%. Then you reduce the duration to 10 seconds making it USELESS. Why?
- You decide that Iron Flesh is a problem (hint: it wasn't), so you decide to make it USELESS instead. Why?
- You reduce the effectiveness of Pyromancy instead of taking the time to make sorceries and miracles not suck. Lazy much?
- Medium shields nerfed. I get the logic behind it, but all this does is confirm that you were too lazy / cheap to have the game properly looked at before release.

The amount of time I WASTED on gear that you nerfed (Elite Knight Set, Medium Shields ALL) is staggering. P2P was already a HUGE slap in the face (no reliably playing with friends! WTF! Cheapskates!!). I hope you take the time and resources to make sure everything is handled properly or I will make sure that I NEVER buy a product with your name on it (read: I will get used or borrowed).

If you plan on releasing a half finished game, please let the consumer know that is the case. Don't waste my time and money (unfinished game, obsoleted guide).

:lol

johntown

Banned
gioGAF said:

Wow......I really did not think the changes were that bad.

Considering that this is a game where you can and often will die in 2-3 hits, 10 seconds is still a hell of a long time.

Pryomancy was ridiculously OP at the lower levels, and it's not like Sorcery doesn't have it's share of broken shit.

Iron Flesh was broken because you could use it to cheese almost every boss effortlessly, although I do think they went a touch too far.

johntown

Banned
gioGAF said:

Let me guess......you wore the Ring of Fog too.

Zeliard

gioGAF said:

Translation:

"I can no longer cheese my way through the game as I could before. Woe is me."

Dresden

Sullichin said:
I agree with fixing glitches, not so sure about nerfing equipment though. Come on, this game is already fucking hard.
Not when people are three-shotting bosses with crystal ring shields.

Admittedly that's what being a mage is like in both games, but w/e.

scy

gioGAF said:

Sorceries are perfectly fine as are the (offensive) Miracles, though Sun Spear isn't as useful as I'd like. There's no reason to buff the two lines that were already essentially better. The MagAdjust on the Flame was a bit ridiculous; 230 is a bit more logical (roughly falls in line with a 50 INT/Faith Logan's Catalyst/Darkmoon Talisman). The only really useful Pyromancy is the Combustion line and it's not like this change actually makes those worthless all of a sudden.

Pyromancy is still essentially free since it's a meager amount of souls, and just souls, to get it to max potency.

Some of the Armor changes feel a little unreasonable (really? Why the Elite set?) but overall not a big deal. If you lost a bunch of Slabs, and god knows I essentially will, then I feel your pain but ... meh? Twinkling is purchasable now so there's a legitimate way to easily upgrade all the really good armor so it's not AS bad as it could be.

Zeliard

Sullichin said:
I agree with fixing glitches, not so sure about nerfing equipment though. Come on, this game is already fucking hard.

You've got people putting on Iron Flesh and just wailing away on the Four Kings with no concern. Shit was just broken. These nerfs were necessary for gameplay balance.

Septimius

gioGAF said:

Wow. First off, the bolded part. That is insanely silly. You do not want to support the developers, but you will play the game? What kind of an attitude is that? If you claim they're doing something horrible, your behavior is equally horrible, and you are no one to be heard. P2P ensures that this game can live forever, whereas Demon's Souls will go offline some time in the not too distant future. The fact that you can't play with friends is a side effect for now, and while it's possible it should've been different, it is the way it is.

gioGAF said:

These are valid points.

gioGAF said:

Fair point.
gioGAF said:
Because they figured it was still too overpowered with that duration. I wholeheartedly agree. Do you really think feel this was fair before? Or even now? Anyone that doesn't welcome this change has never been the guy trying to fight fairly, only to get TWoP'd, and then you're just standing there, getting slowly killed, because you don't want to fight back, and the guy's not good, so it takes some time just killing you while you're standing there. Then he does some emote after he kills you like he beat you in a fair fight. Does that sound like you?
gioGAF said:

You are like some self-proclaimed expert. Iron Flesh was MASSIVE OP in PvE. Just use it and beat whatever boss you're at with no effort. It was problematic. It wasn't a problem in PvP, since I would just circles around them waiting for it to wear off, but it was still silly, and I feel this balances things. That's why.
gioGAF said:
Are you really saying that instead of taking down the ridiculous Pyro, you should make everything else equally ridiculous? Make chaos blades to full damage with 0 humanity while we're at it.

That's not how you do it, it would break the game. It has nothing to do with laziness.
gioGAF said:
I like that everything comes down to calling names. Did it make sense that Hallow Soldier Shield was way better than Eagle Shield? No. Is this a welcome change? Yes. Even though they didn't catch it before, doesn't mean it should be fixed now.

gioGAF said:
Half finished? Really? Have you seen the gaming industry lately? They fixed every single fault with this game with a single patch some weeks after launch. Fantastic going. This is how making games is - you do something, and then a huge base of multiplayers will use that in ways you didn't think of, and you won't go "Well, I'm not fixing it now" - but you'll fix it when you see it. That's fantastic.

Enter The Matrix was half-finished. Dark Souls is phenomenal, and it always was. With these changes, it's even better. It was never half finished.

What a strange way to react.

Dresden said:

You might want to look at the numbers. I remember people mentioning that with scaling Pharis Bow may not be the best.

Wallachia

Sullichin said:
I told myself I was done with this game I can't fucking believe I'm in NG+ and still furiously want to go home and play it.

I wish Quelagg's Fury Sword was better, I know it scales with humanity but it still seems to not be as beastly as it should be.

I hear you. The past few weeks/this game, caused me to delay a haircut badly.. sleep in late for work, have girlfriend problems. Seriously. It's been many years since a game took me over like this.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Zeliard said:
Translation:

"I can no longer cheese my way through the game as I could before. Woe is me."

Why do you care what people do on their single-player run through? If they can only get through by cheesing everything, then surely they don't pose a threat to you in PvP.

So what's the issue?

I get that the single player and multiplayer are intricately linked in this game, but as I said above, if the problem is merely that scrubs can beat the game in single player, why does that bother you?

Not that I'm fully defending that guy's post. I do sympathize with the guide being outdated, though. That's some real bullshit.

johntown

Banned
Zeliard said:
You've got people putting on Iron Flesh and just wailing away on the Four Kings with no concern. Shit was just broken. These nerfs were necessary for gameplay balance.
That is the way I beat them by myself. :p

If I go to try on NG++ then I will have no choice but to summon help (which I almost think was intended for that fight).

Septimius

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Why do you care what people do on their single-player run through? If they can only get through by cheesing everything, then surely they don't pose a threat to you in PvP.

So what's the issue?

Oh, there are tons of cheesers in PvP, too, and you can bet they're of the same demographic. They can do what they want in PvE - it doesn't mean the developers aren't allowed to tweak those cheese-modes, though. I mean, we've still got magic. That's easy-mode enough in my view.

Zeliard

hey_it's_that_dog said:

So what's the issue?

I get that the single player and multiplayer are intricately linked in this game, but as I said above, if the problem is merely that scrubs can beat the game in single player, why does that bother you?

I don't care about them. I care about the game's balance, which affects everyone's game.

Wallachia

johntown said:
That is the way I beat them by myself. :p

If I go to try on NG++ then I will have no choice but to summon help (which I almost think was intended for that fight).

I like using it when I help kill bosses for Summoners. It's so cool when 2 other guys are long range, casting spells and fire, and I am in close with Iron Flesh, hacking the shit out of something.

scy

Dresden said:
Not when people are three-shotting bosses with crystal ring shields.

I've never actually used the CRS. I feel like I should make a 50 STR character just to Captain America some bosses before this patch hits.

Septimius said:
Because they figured it was still too overpowered with that duration. I wholeheartedly agree. Do you really think feel this was fair before? Or even now?

10 seconds of TWoP time is still enough to drop enough Wraths to kill basically anyone :/ It's not like TWoP is needed for the entire fight. The Magic Shield duration change does feel a little awkward, though; I mean, I can't really fathom much use for a short-duration defensive skill like that.

prodystopian said:
You might want to look at the numbers. I remember people mentioning that with scaling Pharis Bow may not be the best.

Off-hand, Pharis is the best Enchanted/Occult option and _maybe_ the best DEX bow; Composite beats it with some STR and the Dragonslayer Bow is the hands down best.

Septimius

scy said:
10 seconds of TWoP time is still enough to drop enough Wraths to kill basically anyone :/ It's not like TWoP is needed for the entire fight. The Magic Shield duration change does feel a little awkward, though; I mean, I can't really fathom much use for a short-duration defensive skill like that..

I was really hoping they'd just say "TWoP no longer affects other players". What a bunch of jokes that spell is.

Zzoram

I'm not at all mad but I do agree with some of the rant points.

If Great Magic Shield invincibility is fixed, why nerf the duration? Doesn't make sense.
Same goes for TWoP, no need to nerf duration if the effect is reduced.

Also Iron Skin, what's up with that nerf? Either make it give more poise/less damage resistance, or make it not slow you as much if you're going to nerf the damage resistance and not change poise.

As for the armor changes, I don't care at all, especially since you can buy Twinkling Titanite after this for a paltry 8000 souls, and more merchants are selling the lower tier upgrade stones, meaning it'll be super easy to transition to a new armor set. There is no need to use slabs on armor anyways, +9 is plenty, and chunks have 100% drop rate in Kiln of the First Flame if you want to farm them to get armor to +9/ weapons to +4/9/14

Zeliard

Pumpkins said:
Is Havel's set not upgradable?

I'm on NG+ and I just noticed it wasn't in the upgrade menu at the smith... Is it not?

Nope. Certain (but not all) unique armor sets can't be upgraded.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
scy said:
I've never actually used the CRS. I feel like I should make a 50 STR character just to Captain America some bosses before this patch hits.
You don't need to make 50 STR. Just have a good weapon on hand.

It's actually surprisingly hard to Captain America bosses. The shield is lousy at blocking and you can often get hit out of the startup animation really hard. I actually usually opt for a normal shield when fighting bosses.

Xanathus

I have a feeling that the next patch may be the last one for a long time. Microsoft charges for each patch after a number of releases and it's unlikely that Namco will be generous enough to keep paying for more patches.

Manus

I really didn't have a problem in Blighttown maybe because I grinded for so long and my stone armor is just awesomesauce.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom