• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Kind of sounds like you want everyone to make the same choices when playing the game that you made.

They could have made changes to PvP that didn't affect PvE. That might be a bit confusing for people initially, but this game, in any form, is complicated, under-explained, and therefore potentially confusing.
The PVP changes aren't going to affect PVE, at all, with the exception of SMS, which was a GLITCH. Iron Flesh, CRS, etc, were all used entirely for making hard encounters trivial, which likely ran counter to From's design. (And CRS was a glitch too, probably.)

I do find some of the armor changes nonsensical but for the most part these changes were needed.

Insaniac

So I've created at least 6 different chars, each with a different build in mind, of course I haven't had the patience or time to play all of them evenly. However, recently I've wanted to try something a little more unconventional and make a INT melee char using the magic weapon ability. Has anyone tried this with success before?

I was thinking a build that uses a quick weapon maxed to +15, so perhaps a curved sword. Then putting points solely in vitality, endurance and int, after i have the req str and dex for whatever equipment I plan on using. the rings i'd use would probably be the lingering dragoncrest ring and havels(?). I dunno it seems interesting, and as a bonus you could have some regular sorcery spells as backup

Also If anyone doesn't know, the Black Iron Armor +5 and gauntlets is pretty good. Haven't found much better for the weight

Sullichin

x3r0123 said:
I beat it without magic/pyro so thats subjective.

I beat it without magic too. Used some pyro but never had any really great pyro spells or that many attunement slots.

I'm fine with them fixing glitches but why nerf any of the armor??? come on.

Pumpkins

Another question for you guys.

Like I said earlier, I'm on NG+, so I kinda zoomed through and rang the two bells.

I never talked to the Catarina Onion Bro... Will he appear later or did I miss my one chance?

Victrix

*beard*
Beats said:
I never had a problem with backstabs, and pretty much get them 100% of the time.

Same, they're just more strict about where you can do it, depending on weapon. Has to be just behind the right shoulder with clumsy weapons.

Souls GAF, I could use some help.

I took a few weeks off the game. I'm a bit over 40 hrs and I'm in Anor Londo. I was still using the Drake Sword, though, and after talking to my friend I was convinced it was time I head back to Andre and upgrade some other weapon to replace it. So, a few minutes ago I popped the game back in, traveled back there and in a moment of hesitation decided I'd just upgrade a longsword. I took ascended it and now have a Divine Longsword +3(no more green titanite at the moment). I was expecting...more. If I'm reading it right it's only dealing a total of around 215-220 dmg between physical and magic.

Does that sound about right? Should I have gone with a different weapon, or is taking it up to +5 going to make that much of a difference? I ran back to the entrance to Sen's Fortress and I'm only dealing something like 75ish dmg per hit against the serpent guards. The friend I mentioned said whatever weapon he had upgraded was dropping the knights in Anor Londo in two hits, so I have no idea what I'm doing wrong here. Thanks for any help.

Xanathus

KoreanBarbecue said:
And...crap. Just made my Greatsword of Astoria (non-cursed) and thought I was about to get my "all rare weapons" achievement...and nothing. Sigh.
Haha, I know that feeling. I was even all ready to take a photo of the Platinum trophy notification and then... Nothing.

Dresden

HitokiriNate85 said:

I took a few weeks off the game. I'm a bit over 40 hrs and I'm in Anor Londo. I was still using the Drake Sword, though, and after talking to my friend I was convinced it was time I head back to Andre and upgrade some other weapon to replace it. So, a few minutes ago I popped the game back in, traveled back there and in a moment of hesitation decided I'd just upgrade a longsword. I took ascended it and now have a Divine Longsword +3(no more green titanite at the moment). I was expecting...more. If I'm reading it right it's only dealing a total of around 215-220 dmg between physical and magic.

Does that sound about right? Should I have gone with a different weapon, or is taking it up to +5 going to make that much of a difference? I ran back to the entrance to Sen's Fortress and I'm only dealing something like 75ish dmg per hit against the serpent guards. The friend I mentioned said whatever weapon he had upgraded was dropping the knights in Anor Londo in two hits, so I have no idea what I'm doing wrong here. Thanks for any help.
You could always grab the lightning spear in Sen's, or upgrade a weapon of your choice to +10 at Andrei's and then take it to the smith in Anor Londo to make a lightning weapon, OR you could go to Vamos in the Catacombs to make a fire weapon.

Divine weapons at that level (only +3 at that) just aren't going to do a lot of damage.

Zeliard

Pumpkins said:
That is weird. I upgraded my Paladin armor to +5 and the stats are nearly identical to Havel's save for the poise.... o_O

I dunno if Havel's ended up getting a buff but supposedly Ornstein's did specifically to combat this sort of stuff. Since those armors can't be upgraded they can fairly quickly become obsolete, especially now that Twinkling Titanites will be vastly easier to come by.

Here's one thing I still haven't figured out. Weapons have numeric values for Bleed, Poison, Bless, and Occult. I know how bleed and poison work, but what do the bless and occult values do? Like, I have a Divine Bastard Sword +5 with a 110 in the bless column. What does that 110 do?

Xanathus said:
Haha, I know that feeling. I was even all ready to take a photo of the Platinum trophy notification and then... Nothing.

I'm an idiot. In all my excitement I forgot that I needed to get the Greatsword of Astoria and the sword from using the last boss's soul. Sigh.

And...got it! Now just need to beat S/O, head to Firelinke, talk to Onion Knight to get Emit Force and I should be 1K on this sucker!

johntown

Banned
HitokiriNate85 said:

How is your Faith stat? Divine scales with Faith and with a low Faith you might as well use the Drake Sword.

scy

Akuun said:
You don't need to make 50 STR. Just have a good weapon on hand.

But 50 STR means I can beat things with those weapons too! Contemplating making a 50 STR/50 Faith character for Grant use post-patch so I might just get around to it now rather than later.

Insaniac said:
However, recently I've wanted to try something a little more unconventional and make a INT melee char using the magic weapon ability. Has anyone tried this with success before?

I've done the opposite; STR character with 25 INT for Crystal Magic Weapon. It's rather interesting but the buffing is a little annoying :( My actual INT character is waiting for NG+ for a new Claymore to go +15 with for CMW, though. It's essentially better damage than Magic or Enchanted.

Pumpkins

HitokiriNate85 said:

From what I hear Divine isn't really great for dishing out damage. However, it's good for taking out skeletons in the catacombs (it makes it so they don't revive themselves).

At this point in the game, go with lightning weapons. They dish out a TON of damage and you don't have to worry about stat scaling. The blacksmith in Anor Londo forges them.

tokkun

Zeliard said:
I dunno if Havel's ended up getting a buff but supposedly Ornstein's did specifically to combat this sort of stuff. Since those armors can't be upgraded they can fairly quickly become obsolete, especially now that Twinkling Titanites will be vastly easier to come by.

Well they nerfed Gold-Hemmed despite the fact that it can't be upgraded.

x3r0123

Sullichin said:
I beat it without magic too. Used some pyro but never had any really great pyro spells or that many attunement slots.

I'm fine with them fixing glitches but why nerf any of the armor??? come on.

so that other armors can shine?

BigAT

Is there any real point to doing the final part of Solaire's path, aside from having him as a summon for that final boss? (Chaos Bed or whatever) It seems like a lot of work getting 30 humanity to unlock the Lost Iz shortcut just for that.

johntown said:
How is your Faith stat? Divine scales with Faith and with a low Faith you might as well use the Drake Sword.

Ooh, man, thank you. I feel like an idiot for not having considered that. I've never put a single point into faith(pyro).

You could always grab the lightning spear in Sen's, or upgrade a weapon of your choice to +10 at Andrei's and then take it to the smith in Anor Londo to make a lightning weapon, OR you could go to Vamos in the Catacombs to make a fire weapon.

From what I hear Divine isn't really great for dishing out damage. However, it's good for taking out skeletons in the catacombs (it makes it so they don't revive themselves).

At this point in the game, go with lightning weapons. They dish out a TON of damage.

Thanks, guys. Where is the blacksmith in Anor Londo, and what do I need to upgrade something to a lightning weapon? I might just go grab that lightning spear in Sen's if it's decent. I guess my longsword will come in handy when I get to the catacombs. Too bad I just wasted stuff on something that's useless(for now).

scy

HitokiriNate85 said:
Thanks, guys. Where is the blacksmith in Anor Londo, and what do I need to upgrade something to a lightning weapon? I might just go grab that lightning spear in Sen's if it's decent. I guess my longsword will come in handy when I get to the catacombs. Too bad I just wasted stuff on something that's useless(for now).

He's accessible via the Cathedral, through a door beyond the Archer Silver Knight there. All you need to make Lightning weapons is a +10 Standard weapon (which requires regular Titanite Shards and then Large Titanite Shards) and then he'll do the Ascension into a Lightning weapon with Titanite Chunks.

The Spear isn't bad so if you want to save yourself the shards/chunks, I'd just say to grab it and use it instead.

Pumpkins said:
Another question for you guys.

Like I said earlier, I'm on NG+, so I kinda zoomed through and rang the two bells.

I never talked to the Catarina Onion Bro... Will he appear later or did I miss my one chance?

I didn't talk to him and still found him inside of Sen's after getting through half of Anor Londo.

knitoe

KoreanBarbecue said:
I'm an idiot. In all my excitement I forgot that I needed to get the Greatsword of Astoria and the sword from using the last boss's soul. Sigh.

And...got it! Now just need to beat S/O, head to Firelinke, talk to Onion Knight to get Emit Force and I should be 1K on this sucker!
Xanathus said:
I forgot about Velka's Rapier.

Did you need the ghost blade?

.GqueB.

Banned
Manmademan said:
You need att if youre going to pump int. Dont pump vit either. Its better to upgrade armor and shields for better defense, save your points for int.
Whaaaaat? Thats a bit surprising but thanks for the tip. Makes sense though.

Pumpkins

HitokiriNate85 said:

The blacksmith in Anor Londo is in the cathedral with the two Paladin Giants. Take them out and you should see a Silver Knight shooting at you with a giant bow. Take him out and follow the stairs up. There's an opening on the left wall that leads to the blacksmith.

To make a lightning weapon you need to get a standard weapon to +10. Then you need Titanite Chunks to upgrade it further.

The Paladin Giants actually drop them, but they're rare drops. You should have a few by now regardless...

prodystopian said:
I didn't talk to him and still found him inside of Sen's after getting through half of Anor Londo.

Awesome. Thanks.

sixghost

HitokiriNate85 said:
Ooh, man, thank you. I feel like an idiot for not having considered that. I've never put a single point into faith(pyro).

The lightining spear from Sen's is basically Drake Sword 2.0

If you aren't comfortable with upgrading and ascending your weapons, just use the lightning spear and maybe upgrade it a few times when you get to the blacksmith in Anor Londo. That weapon will be more than enough to get you through the game if you don't want to get deep into farming chunks and all that stuff.

Zeliard

tokkun said:
Well they nerfed Gold-Hemmed despite the fact that it can't be upgraded.

Armors like Havel's and Ornstein's are significantly heavier, though. Tons of people ran around with the Nazgul set because of its very high resistances relative to its low weight.

BeeDog

Alright, parking my character at soul level 214, though he still has a lousy Dexterity score (but 50 in both Faith and Intelligence, lulz). Figured I'd save some of my souls to purchase twinkling titanites after the patch.

I have absolutely no clue as to what armor I should roll with.

yeb

sixghost said:
The lightining spear from Sen's is basically Drake Sword 2.0

If you aren't comfortable with upgrading and ascending your weapons, just use the lightning spear and maybe upgrade it a few times when you get to the blacksmith in Anor Londo. That weapon will be more than enough to get you through the game if you don't want to get deep into farming chunks and all that stuff.
You don't even need to wait for the blacksmith to upgrade it. The only purpose of blacksmiths is to move weapons along different parts of the branching upgrade paths. It's already on the lightning path though, so you can start upgrading it right away at any blacksmith or a bonfire, if you have the weapon upgrade kit.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Thagomizer said:
Iron Flesh was broken because you could use it to cheese almost every boss effortlessly, although I do think they went a touch too far.

not really. any boss that moves about at all can be tricky with Iron Flesh, as you're stuck there not able to roll/dodge and can waste a cast trying to catch up with the boss. Its mainly useful against slow stuff

RyType

Just rang the second bell in Qaelaags domain and I'm unsure of where to go next...I'm SL 45 and I'm having trouble trying to beat Ceaseless Discharge, should I just be exploring the great hollow instead? Or is it best to start heading back to the fortress-is there a quicker way there instead of running back through Blight Town?

tokkun

Zeliard said:
Armors like Havel's and Ornstein's are significantly heavier, though. Tons of people ran around with the Nazgul set because of its very high resistances relative to its low weight.

Well they also did nothing with the Domnhall set which as awful stats to begin with and can't be upgraded. The point I was trying to make is that there is no clear agenda to make all armor sets competitive.

theta11

scy said:
But 50 STR means I can beat things with those weapons too! Contemplating making a 50 STR/50 Faith character for Grant use post-patch so I might just get around to it now rather than later.

I've done the opposite; STR character with 25 INT for Crystal Magic Weapon. It's rather interesting but the buffing is a little annoying :( My actual INT character is waiting for NG+ for a new Claymore to go +15 with for CMW, though. It's essentially better damage than Magic or Enchanted.

I thought Grant only scaled with STR/DEX even though it requires 30 Faith to equip.

x3r0123

mrklaw said:
not really. any boss that moves about at all can be tricky with Iron Flesh, as you're stuck there not able to roll/dodge and can waste a cast trying to catch up with the boss. Its mainly useful against slow stuff

every boss can move, except for a few

Insaniac

.GqueB. said:

are you making a sorc? With the crown of dusk and bellowing dragoncrest ring you can easily sit at 30-35 int and still be formidable. this lets you spare early points in INT and put them somewhere else IMO

scy

.GqueB. said:

That's not really quite right. Depending on your SL goal, VIT isn't really a priority but it's nice to have as a final thing for your builds when you don't need more of your other stats due to the diminishing returns.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
RyType said:
Just rang the second bell in Qaelaags domain and I'm unsure of where to go next...I'm SL 45 and I'm having trouble trying to beat Ceaseless Discharge, should I just be exploring the great hollow instead? Or is it best to start heading back to the fortress-is there a quicker way there instead of running back through Blight Town?

Sen's Fortress is the place to go next. It's across from Andrei the Blacksmith near the Cathedral. I think it shows a cutscene of the gates open after you ring the second bell. Anyway, go there next and then it will open up more pathways that will fit your level. You also get a really nice weapon in there. Ceaseless discharge and the Demon Ruins are usually one of the last places you go.

Yes theres a quicker way to get out of there and bypass most of Blightown. Exit Queelags chamber back the way you came in then go out and kind of to the left, looking for a big water wheel. Its kind of in between Queelags and the bonfire down there. You can ride the water wheel up, then get off at the top and follow a bunch of ladders up. Keep taking ladders up for a while (watch out for blow dart guys) until finally you get to the top. There will be a long cave with a couple more of those club wielding barbarian things. Get past them and it will lead you to Valley of the Drakes, which leads immediately to an elevator or staircase (cant remember) that takes you up to New Londo Ruins. Once there immediately go left again (dont actually venture out into New Londo, ghosts will kill you and send you packin) to another elevator that will take you to back to Firelink. Even after all that I swear its much faster than running through Blightown haha.

Salih

say what you want: The Official Guide from FuturePress is now useless after the patch.
well, not completely useless - but still.

sixghost

Salih said:
say what you want: The Official Guide from FuturePress is now useless after the patch.
well, not completely useless - but still.
I'll probably just wait for people to start updating the wikis, then mark up my book with corrections.

Most of the wiki entries were copied straight from that book, so now it's time to return the favor.

Fuck Gaping Dragon! Last time I played I got him on my first try. Now he kicks my ass even though I got Solaire with me. Did he get buffed or something?

.GqueB.

Banned
Insaniac said:
are you making a sorc? With the crown of dusk and bellowing dragoncrest ring you can easily sit at 30-35 int and still be formidable. this lets you spare early points in INT and put them somewhere else IMO
Its kind of a half sorc half pyro. Its been working out well so far. I use whichever I need for the situation.

Sniper McBlaze said:
Fuck Gaping Dragon! Last time I played I got him on my first try. Now he kicks my ass even though I got Solaire with me. Did he get buffed or something?
That boss is strange. First few times I faced him, we took him out on the first try because he kept charging and getting stuck in the corner. Went back to do it with a friend and all of a sudden he was kickin ass and took a couple minutes to defeat.

scy

.GqueB. said:
Its kind of a half sorc half pyro. Its been working out well so far. I use whichever I need for the situation.

Well, Pyromancy has no stat requirement so it's not "costing" you stat points to utilize it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom