• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

.GqueB.

Banned
scy said:
Well, Pyromancy has no stat requirement so it's not "costing" you stat points to utilize it.
Speaking of which, I heard there was a stat that affects casting speed. Is this true? I think I heard it was DEX. I read this once god knows where but I just wanted to confirm.

sixghost

WonkyPanda said:
Just got the game today and how is a Cleric for a beginner to the series?
That's probably not a bad choice. The additional heal spells will probably get you through some areas a bit easier than other classes.

Just know that you'll be playing an almost entirely melee-based character with some heal/support spells for a while. There really aren't many offensive Miracles until much later in the game, but you can always change your characters focus if you want to use pyromancy or sorcery(harder to do) later in the game.

TommyT

Zzoram said:
How to you make Prescilla reveal herself before she dies?

It's rumored that her invisibility is a status and you have to hit her consecutively to build a meter that will reveal her. This could be based on damage, number of hits, etc. It's not confirmed though. Fire, damage, and time are not sure ways to get her to reveal as you can go the entire fight while she's invis.

So try getting a series of consecutive hits on her then back off until meter is built up and repeat. Too much time in between would reset the meter.

/theory

Zzoram

I really, really don't want to miss her tail this time. I just want this stupid rare weapon trophy so I can forget about it.

UFRA said:
I am now a Sunlight Warrior. Bout time I got away from Way of White....sheesh!

Praise the sun!

Solaire always reminded me of Don Quixote in my fights. He would run in, die and leave me to spend the next 10 minutes sorting out the boss situation.

scosher

Zzoram said:
I really, really don't want to miss her tail this time. I just want this stupid rare weapon trophy so I can forget about it.

Firestorm worked everytime for me in getting her uncloaked.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Insaniac said:
So I've created at least 6 different chars, each with a different build in mind, of course I haven't had the patience or time to play all of them evenly. However, recently I've wanted to try something a little more unconventional and make a INT melee char using the magic weapon ability. Has anyone tried this with success before?

I was thinking a build that uses a quick weapon maxed to +15, so perhaps a curved sword. Then putting points solely in vitality, endurance and int, after i have the req str and dex for whatever equipment I plan on using. the rings i'd use would probably be the lingering dragoncrest ring and havels(?). I dunno it seems interesting, and as a bonus you could have some regular sorcery spells as backup

Also If anyone doesn't know, the Black Iron Armor +5 and gauntlets is pretty good. Haven't found much better for the weight

This is pretty much exactly what my new character is, I'll be throwing a generous number of points into Dex as well though, and less into endurance since I want him to be a light armor character.

So far it's been way harder than my first playthrough which was a STR build, using light/fast weapons takes a lot more strategy when it comes to maneuvering.

Right now I'm considering the Wolf Ring and Dark Wood Grain combination, maybe replace one of them for one of the Magic boosting rings.

One problem I'm facing is I can't find enough weapons that have a Bleed effect. Is the standard dagger a good weapon? Low damage but does the Bleed build up quickly?

Zzoram said:
How to you make Prescilla reveal herself before she dies?

Watch for her footprints in the snow, throw a fireball at her feet.

UFRA

BackdoorBeauty said:
Solaire always reminded me of Don Quixote in my fights. He would run in, die and leave me to spend the next 10 minutes sorting out the boss situation.

Haha true. I never summoned him for my own boss fights, as I've been lucky to have 2 human players almost every boss so far. I was helping someone else with Gaping Dragon a few days ago and he summoned Solaire. He died within a minute or two and I was pretty disappointed with his services lol. At least he distracted the boss so I could cut its tail off in the meantime...

Futureman

does anyone have a link to a good beginner's guide? I'm at the part where the guy says there are 2 bells to ring, so I went for the one that is on higher ground first. I'm about 30 min from the inital bonfire that the level starts at after you defeat the tutorial boss, and I just keep getting owned by enemies.

TommyT

Yo Gotti said:
This is pretty much exactly what my new character is, I'll be throwing a generous number of points into Dex as well though, and less into endurance since I want him to be a light armor character.

So far it's been way harder than my first playthrough which was a STR build, using light/fast weapons takes a lot more strategy when it comes to maneuvering.

Right now I'm considering the Wolf Ring and Dark Wood Grain combination, maybe replace one of them for one of the Magic boosting rings.

One problem I'm facing is I can't find enough weapons that have a Bleed effect. Is the standard dagger a good weapon? Low damage but does the Bleed build up quickly?

Uchigatana can be gotten VERY early by killing an npc or you can rush the forest covenant and buy it form Shiva.

Also, the ninja flip ring is just plain amazing when playing a faster melee character.

Doing this just doesn't make her appear... something else has to be met (like rapidly throwing more than one and hitting her for instance). There's some other mechanic other than just 'throw a fireball and hit her' to make her appear it seems.

x3r0123

Zzoram said:

i hitted her with a spear 3 times in a row that caused a stagger. She reveals herself when staggered

I seriously cannot get past those giant orc fucks who poision/club/knock me off the wooden bridge. I want to get to Blighttown and get rid of this damn curse!

Zzoram

x3r0123 said:
i hitted her with a spear 3 times in a row that caused a stagger. She reveals herself when staggered

ugh didn't get her tail, accidentally killed her

so easy to do since you can't see her hp bar when she's invisible

scy said:
That's not really quite right. Depending on your SL goal, VIT isn't really a priority but it's nice to have as a final thing for your builds when you don't need more of your other stats due to the diminishing returns.

here's the thing with Vit:

you're going to get HP as you level up anyway, just not "quite" as much.

You also don't want to OVER level, since overleveling will take you out of the range of where most of the PVP and summoning is. put your points where they do the greatest good without taking you into the 130 or 150 soul level where no one is.

given those two factors, there's no real reason to "pump" vit, when you can increase HP via the ring of favor and protection, and increase defense EXTREMELY easily via upgrading armor. increasing defense and increasing HP have the same net effect- that being when you get hit, less is taken from the HP bar.

If you're going to be pumping endurance anyway (and you really should), a lot of stamina means you can take more hits with a shield equipped, and are increasingly unlikely to need to rely on high hp or high defense anyway. (if you're going to be running around two handing great axes it might be another story).

Finally, I'm of the opinion that a good offense is the best defense. pumping int over vit means that spells are going to hit harder out of the gate, and magic weapons that scale with int are going to be more effective.

you can put some points into vit, but since nothing really scales with it damage wise it doesn't make sense to pump points into it.

Insaniac

Yo Gotti said:

I actually use a Claw+10 right now it has B dex rating and 300 Bleed

.GqueB. said:
Speaking of which, I heard there was a stat that affects casting speed. Is this true? I think I heard it was DEX. I read this once god knows where but I just wanted to confirm.

45 Dex will increase your casting speed

UFRA said:
Haha true. I never summoned him for my own boss fights, as I've been lucky to have 2 human players almost every boss so far. I was helping someone else with Gaping Dragon a few days ago and he summoned Solaire. He died within a minute or two and I was pretty disappointed with his services lol. At least he distracted the boss so I could cut its tail off in the meantime...

Solaire is damn near crucial for the smough and ornstein fight if you're going through the game solo like I am.

he provides enough of a distraction that you can focus on one of them at a time without the other rushing you.

Septimius

.GqueB. said:
Whaaaaat? Thats a bit surprising but thanks for the tip. Makes sense though.

Not really. I should've saved a link to my post about it, but basically, if you get hit by something hard, resistances won't help nearly anything. If you want survivability, you need HP more than resistance. Resistance works wonders on medium hitting stuff, where damage < 1.5*<defense in question>. But there is no head-gear in the game that will make you able to sustain more hits than Mask of the Mother, especially since you can also look at an HP as a huge, dynamic, addition to all of your resistances.

This is also why Ring of Favor is way better than Havel's ring. The additional gear you can wear never outdoes the extra hp from Favor.

With diminishing returns, having high INT won't help you in PvP or PvE. In PvP, you'll have to be able to kill everyone in one shot to be as deadly as they are, since you most likely will die in one shot. In PvE, you might do a ton of damage, but you can barely take a hit. Slow and steady wins the race.

Aselith

Salih said:
say what you want: The Official Guide from FuturePress is now useless after the patch.
well, not completely useless - but still.
Strategies and location info will still be good as will lists of names/locations for items for the most part other than extra merchant stuff. It's still quite useful.

gioGAF

Let me guess......you wore the Ring of Fog too.

Not quite, I know this game very well and I am as happy as anyone who has a clue about the change to the Ring of Fog.

Translation:
"I can no longer cheese my way through the game as I could before. Woe is me."

Lol, sure whatever you say expert. I wish I was a pro like you.

So many poor responses, I was hoping for better. Good thing Septimius posted.

@Septimius:
I’m not happy with P2P, and sure that may be preference, but I rather enjoyed playing co-op with friends in Demon’s Souls. I think it should have been made clear that this was not a reliable option in Dark Souls. I would rather have a big online community for a year or two, rather than be able to play this with whoever remains 5 years from now. Like you said, it is the way it is; I’m just a little disappointed.

I think TWoP / Stone Sword gravity is/was broken and needed to be changed. I’m not upset that they changed it, I don’t like the way they did it. They reduced encumbrance from 100% (ridiculously OP) to 50% which seems fair. But they also reduced the duration too much, 10 seconds is worthless.

Iron Flesh change is the same thing. I personally did not see a reason to change it, you think it makes things too easy in PvE, simple solution = don’t use it. Again, the change is not the problem; it is the way it was done. Rather than reduce effectiveness, they made it useless. It is now like casting the gravity effect on yourself.

I did not want Pyromancy changed because it is very average beyond NG+. Lowering its effectiveness will just make it even less appealing. The range / cast time of most Pyromancy spells is enough of a drawback. Only (Great) Combustion is top notch. Sure, having a Pyromancy +5 under SL50 is nuts, but so are static damage weapons. Griefers will grief, 230 adjust / 270 adjust is not a big change to a chickenhawker, but it is annoying for legit 120 PvPers or those who go beyond NG+.

Medium shield nerf is more of a personal problem, I admit. Like I said, I understand the change. But was it really that difficult for them to have noticed this before sending the game out. I understand the change from a balance point of view, but are they planning on upping the drop rate of Titanite Slabs? I just feel like I’m being punished for purchasing their product on launch.

What a strange way to react.
Try farming for 4 Titanite Slabs to upgrade your armor and then have them arbitrarily nerf it into the ground.

tokkun

Septimius said:
This is also why Ring of Favor is way better than Havel's ring. The additional gear you can wear never outdoes the extra hp from Favor.

Not sure I agree there. Ring of Favor definitely is better than Havel's for the number of hits you can take, but Havel's allows you to equip higher poise gear, and poise can be crucial.

Yes, I realize I play this damn game too much! But I love it...=)

Anyway, I was fighting the Four Kings after getting the Lordvessel (I wanted to see what Kaathe would say if you answered "No" to his question/choice), After three of the Kings were killed, the Fourth one, who was spawned had an issue. I figured out the Abyss is nothing but a big square (or rectangle) play area, and where the Fourth one spawned, was in one of the corners...making him effectively stuck! Sadly, he was too far out to hit with a weapon, so I 'eased his pain' with a Crystal spear or two, before I beat them again.

This is actually the THIRD major error in regards to bosses. This current playthrough, while co-oping with someone on Sif, he actually backflipped on the wall, near the entrance, and could not get down. As my host had mainly combustion, and other close-range weapons, he resorted to using arrows, while I zapped a few magic spears and gave him a couple Demon Titanites for making me laugh at the error (very nice dude, whoever he was...)

I went to solo the Butterfly soon after, but on the way, an invader came, but didn't attack. I was frustrated, so had Beatrice zap the dude away, and continued on to the boss...however, the Butterfly went straight from the tower, to the ground, well out of range of both magic and arrows, eventually 'killing' itself...=/

Anyway, bunch of weird things happening this time!

Edit...I now am in love with the Priscilla Dagger...at +5 I cut up some invader very fast, and the high bleed rate finished him off. =p Reminds me of my original Bandit Knife (that got 'promoted' to a Great Lord Sword of Gywn...or whatever it is called)

Zzoram

only things I need in NG++ to platinum are Priscilla's dagger from cutting her stubby invisible tail, and greatshield of astoria when I get Sif's soul for the 3rd time

I'm so scared that I'll screw up her tail again and have to go to NG+++ just for that shitty tail

gioGAF

Ring of Favor and Protection should be on every single PvP players #1 ring slot. PvE you can do whatever you want.

Eusis

Plus until you do a few NG+ runs you won't be able to switch that ring out for anything else, IE if you want to do a Ring of Fog/Slumbering Dragoncrest combo for sneaking around or simply drawing less attention from enemies. Not unless you don't mind losing that ring.

x3r0123

Zzoram said:
only things I need in NG++ to platinum are Priscilla's dagger from cutting her stubby invisible tail, and greatshield of astoria when I get Sif's soul for the 3rd time

I'm so scared that I'll screw up her tail again and have to go to NG+++ just for that shitty tail

watch the video, its simple and just reload if you think you screwed up already

Nobodyspatzy said:
Yes, I realize I play this damn game too much! But I love it...=)

Anyway, I was fighting the Four Kings after getting the Lordvessel (I wanted to see what Kaathe would say if you answered "No" to his question/choice), After three of the Kings were killed, the Fourth one, who was spawned had an issue. I figured out the Abyss is nothing but a big square (or rectangle) play area, and where the Fourth one spawned, was in one of the corners...making him effectively stuck! Sadly, he was too far out to hit with a weapon, so I 'eased his pain' with a Crystal spear or two, before I beat them again.

This is actually the THIRD major error in regards to bosses. This current playthrough, while co-oping with someone on Sif, he actually backflipped on the wall, near the entrance, and could not get down. As my host had mainly combustion, and other close-range weapons, he resorted to using arrows, while I zapped a few magic spears and gave him a couple Demon Titanites for making me laugh at the error (very nice dude, whoever he was...)

I went to solo the Butterfly soon after, but on the way, an invader came, but didn't attack. I was frustrated, so had Beatrice zap the dude away, and continued on to the boss...however, the Butterfly went straight from the tower, to the ground, well out of range of both magic and arrows, eventually 'killing' itself...=/

Anyway, bunch of weird things happening this time!

Edit...I now am in love with the Priscilla Dagger...at +5 I cut up some invader very fast, and the high bleed rate finished him off. =p Reminds me of my original Bandit Knife (that got 'promoted' to a Great Lord Sword of Gywn...or whatever it is called)

The only real boss glitch I've had so far is the Hydra in Ash Lake. My first trip there I sprinted past all of it just to get to the dragon covenant at the end. On my way back, I saw the Hydra off in the distance kinda floating there, then it started moving to one side and just died for no apparent reason.

vilmer_

gioGAF said:
Ring of Favor and Protection should be on every single PvP players #1 ring slot. PvE you can do whatever you want.

I was a bit tipsy one night when I first got it and unequipped it. I'm still extremely bitter at that night.

KoreanBarbecue said:
The only real boss glitch I've had so far is the Hydra in Ash Lake. My first trip there I sprinted past all of it just to get to the dragon covenant at the end. On my way back, I saw the Hydra off in the distance kinda floating there, then it started moving to one side and just died for no apparent reason.

I think the reason that this happens is that the game is trying to reset the hydra's position to where it starts on the other side of the lake, but because it's too far away for it to use any AI besides "move in this direction," it can't do the jump. Because it has no way to interact with the geometry of the beach, the game doesn't know what to do and kills it so the game doesn't freeze or bug out.

x3r0123

Zzoram said:
I wonder how quickly I'll be able to get back to Priscilla in NG++

My NG+ run was about 10 hours

shouldnt be that long. I plowed through ng+ around 8 hours. From the beginning to priscilla, there are like 3-4 bosses.

Wallachia

Zzoram said:
I wonder how quickly I'll be able to get back to Priscilla in NG++

My NG+ run was about 10 hours

Really? Man.. I can't wait to try NG+.. sounds like it will be what Dark Souls would be if it was The Force Unleashed, or some other easy cheese shit.

x3r0123

Wallachia said:
Really? Man.. I can't wait to try NG+.. sounds like it will be what Dark Souls would be if it was The Force Unleashed, or some other easy cheese shit.

if you are a demon souls veteran then it isnt that bad. On the other hand, everything can kill you in 3 hits or so

Wallachia

HEADPHONES:

Anyone else playing Ps3 with the wireless Sony headphones? Sooo good, and truly scary at times.. alot of the gurgling, gruesome sounds.

Speaking of, those damn Snow Rats in the Painted World. They sound disgusting, and to me, drop way less Humanity that the Depths Rats. Fuckers.

Wallachia

x3r0123 said:
if you are a demon souls veteran then it isnt that bad. On the other hand, everything can kill you in 3 hits or so

Cool. Haha, just like standard NG, everything can kill you in 3 hits or so..

Wallachia said:
HEADPHONES:

Anyone else playing Ps3 with the wireless Sony headphones? Sooo good, and truly scary at times.. alot of the gurgling, gruesome sounds.

Speaking of, those damn Snow Rats in the Painted World. They sound disgusting, and to me, drop way less Humanity that the Depths Rats. Fuckers.

I have the turtle beach surround sound headset. Audio quality is kinda shit, but the surround adds so much to the game. I literally can't play it with the TV speakers anymore. It feels like I have aural blinders on.

Wallachia

Thagomizer said:
I have the turtle beach surround sound headset. Audio quality is kinda shit, but the surround adds so much to the game. I literally can't play it with the TV speakers anymore. It feels like I have aural blinders on.

Yes, totally. Things like the sound of running in armor, or the strong clank of weapons clashing. Oh, and the sound of slicing open juicy flesh. Lol.

Though, I have thought of getting a home theatre system, for this game (and CoD)..

TheBear

I'm trying to farm titanite chunks off the Royal Sentinels in Anor Londo. I've equipped the Gold Serpent ring (?) and out of about 9 or 10 runs they've dropped one chunk. This blows. Any ideas?
Also, where's the best place to drop a summon sign for S&O? Left it one at the steps before the fog gate for a while with no luck (SL44)

Zzoram

Wallachia said:

It helps that I have 20 homing crystal soul mass and the master key.

Eusis

bigjimmystyle said:
I'm trying to farm titanite chunks off the Royal Sentinels in Anor Londo. I've equipped the Gold Serpent ring (?) and out of about 9 or 10 runs they've dropped one chunk. This blows. Any ideas?
Don't bother with them and proceed further into the game. Not long after where you are
Darkwraiths in New Londo
will drop them more reliably (or so I'd assume after getting a chunk every so often in just a few runs) while being easier to kill, and they almost seem guaranteed in the FINAL area of the game.

Booshka

bigjimmystyle said:
Darkwraiths in New Londo Ruins
when it is drained

Or wait until the last area of the game and farm there, the drops are 100%

Zzoram

bigjimmystyle said:

the last area in the game has 5 black knights with 100% drop rate on chunks (various types)

Jonsoncao

Banned
Beats said:
I never had a problem with backstabs, and pretty much get them 100% of the time.
Sometimes in PVP due to the online code, you successfully backstabbed someone, and the animation of him being stabbed to the ground showed on screen, but no dmg inflected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom