• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Backfoggen said:
Four Kings in NG+ is impossible.
I get them down to half their health max by myself. Once it's two on one I'm done.
Ok, I thought THIS time I'll do it and just to be sure I summoned two dudes and the witch. Both dudes fell down the Abyss and died, the witch didn't attack the boss.

Did Beatrice survive the jump down? Sometimes she gets hung up on trying to kill a ghost that sometimes is just chilling above the drop down, and if she's trying to kill it when you jump you'll get the notice that she was vanquished as soon as you hit the bottom.

Once she's down there her damage contribution isn't much to speak of unless you have the good fortune of having her spam Homing Soulmass. Her main use is that she draws their attacks and takes some of the pressure off of you. I fought them with nothing but melee and Beatrice on NG++ and managed a win reasonably comfortably, and that was with an Int-focused build not using magic. Pretty much any build should be able to pull it off if a magic-less Sorcerer can, I reckon.

x3r0123

tokkun said:
Tips on cutting off Priscilla's tail? I've suicided 5 times in a row because she was near death without the tail coming off.

I started out trying with my lighting Iaito, but it was doing too much damage and only giving me about 5 hits after making her visible. So I swapped to an unupgraded longsword, did about 30 hits and still nothing.

scroll up/look at previous pages with my post. There a video on how to make her visible

edit: here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8nNPyOJII0

I was completely in love with this game even during its frustrating parts, but Anor Londo is burning me out. First the stupid archers, the respawning knights inside the castle that are boring and long to kill. At the moment I'm
stuck at Lautrec and I'm not even interested in S&O from I've read. :(

scosher

tokkun said:
Tips on cutting off Priscilla's tail? I've suicided 5 times in a row because she was near death without the tail coming off.

I started out trying with my lighting Iaito, but it was doing too much damage and only giving me about 5 hits after making her visible. So I swapped to an unupgraded longsword, did about 30 hits and still nothing.

Have you tried using Firestorm? I used that to pop her out of invis, and then just cut off her tail with the same weapon, Lightning Iaito. Only took me one swing.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
tokkun said:

I somehow managed it completely by accident on my first character, but when I had trouble on my second character a Claymore +5 managed to get it off. With the way she twists her whole body for most of her attacks something with a wide horizontal swing seems to help in ensuring you'll hit it. I took it really slow, made her visible with a fireball, then took a single swing at her posterior as she recovered from her scythe swing before backing off and waiting for my next chance. I think she was down to about 25% of her life when it finally came off.

Quote said:
I was completely in love with this game even during its frustrating parts, but Anor Londo is burning me out. First the stupid archers, the respawning knights inside the castle that are boring and long to kill. At the moment I'm

Do you have anything upgraded? I had a Divine Claymore and I was taking out each silver knight in 30 seconds tops.

scosher

Quote said:

If you've upgraded your pyro flame, Great Combustion owns them pretty handily.

Yo Gotti

Banned
TommyT said:
Doing this just doesn't make her appear... something else has to be met (like rapidly throwing more than one and hitting her for instance). There's some other mechanic other than just 'throw a fireball and hit her' to make her appear it seems.

Nope, hitting Priscilla with a single fireball will make her appear. I just did this in NG+ with Fire Orb specifically.

knitoe

tokkun said:
I actually have no problem making her visible. A 3-hit combo with my Iaito will do it every time and I have enough poise that getting hit doesn't disrupt the combo.

Problem is that I can't get the tail off once she's visible :/
Maybe, you should wear lighter armor, <25% load, so you can easy get around to her tail.

Wallachia

Quote said:

I hear you. Kinda in the same boat. But S&O are a rad pair/battle. And did you meet the Giant Blacksmith yet? He puts some personality in the level.

Haunted

x3r0123 said:
scroll up/look at previous pages with my post. There a video on how to make her visible

edit: here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8nNPyOJII0
Lightning Spear, Eagle Shield, Havel's helmet and the gold-hemmed set.

Don't know how many people I've seen rocking that set at that point in the game (and a couple hours later, still). Nerfing these to make other combinations more viable/visible is good.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Bought day one. 41 hours in. Still haven't even walked into Sen's Tower. But finally going to tonight! I've been on a no guide rule for this run through but just reading this thread here and there for the last few weeks has already spoiled so much that I checked up on a few areas/covenants.

I'm confident to say I would have never found the Hollow/Ash Lake if I didn't read about it. What sucks is I found the fake wall for the chest but not the one behind it..why hadn't anyone left a red message?!

There's A LOT of hidden stuff in this game, just like Demon's..I love it..

sleepykyo

tokkun said:
I actually have no problem making her visible. A 3-hit combo with my Iaito will do it every time and I have enough poise that getting hit doesn't disrupt the combo.

I think everyone else is mentioning that you're doing too much damage getting her visible so she ends up dead before the tail takes enough damage to come off. Well, the other issue could be your Iaito is hitting at the body instead of the tail and you need to move the attack closer to the tail.

Wool

Just had a pretty intense 2-on-2 PVP in the Dark Forest. Two people invaded as part of the covenant back to back, then I summoned someone to help immediately after. At first it was a chaotic 4 person mess, but we split off into two separate fights. Whole ordeal was almost 10 minutes long and we managed to kill both of them without either of us dying (a couple near deaths though). Dark Souls at it's finest.

I can't wait for the patch if it is going to make co-op easier to get together.

kyubajin

I'm just before the last boss and decided to check the official guide to decide on weapon upgrades/combinations, yet I spoiled myself and discovered that I had missed on 2 complete areas of the game... The Great Hollow and Ash Lake!

Is it recommended that I upgrade tons of weapons, including boss souls weaps, and lvl up past SL 90 for NG+?

Put down a summon sign to help on S & O.

Or, as I like to call it, "Go Do Something Else For an Hour and a Half, Because You Ain't Playing Dark Souls for a While."

theta11

scosher said:
I don't think Grant is enchantable.

I know but I mean in regards to using a high strength scaling weapon with sunlight blade, too bad it only has 1 charge, kinda lame considering the magic counterpart has 3.

Quote said:

The archer bit is sooo easy if you have the invisibility spell.
The big knights are also easy to just run past, they'll never fully catch up to you to engage in a fight.
As for the boss, summon help :)

TheBear

Thagomizer said:
Put down a summon sign to help on S & O.

Or, as I like to call it, "Go Do Something Else For an Hour and a Half, Because You Ain't Playing Dark Souls for a While."

If it wasn't for kind-hearted, patient people such as yourself I would get nowhere in this game. Thank you :)

bigjimmystyle said:
If it wasn't for kind-hearted, patient people such as yourself I would get nowhere in this game. Thank you :)

What boss are you on now? I need to get my Faith requirement down for Sunbros and It'd be nice to have a guaranteed help-ee. You're on 360 right?

For what it's worth, I also have the Cat Covenant ring on at the same time as I have a summon sign down, and sill nothing. I take it Thursday's a dead night for DkS.

purg3

slept with Malkin
anyone using the Giant's armor you can buy in Anor Londo? I'm using the chest piece, pretty good when leveled up. Weighs less than Havel's and better defense, plus it looks pretty sweet. Still using gold hemmed bottoms and hood until the patch comes through on 360, not sure what I'll move to after that.

purg3 said:
anyone using the Giant's armor you can buy in Anor Londo? I'm using the chest piece, pretty good when leveled up. Weighs less than Havel's and better defense, plus it looks pretty sweet. Still using gold hemmed bottoms and hood until the patch comes through on 360, not sure what I'll move to after that.

The helmet is pretty nice and goes really well with Ornstein's armor- Ornstein's helm sits several inches above where it does on the boss and makes it look weird, and it's missing the red plume- but it's so damn heavy that I can't wear it with anything other than Gold Hemmed without Ring of Favor and Havel's :(

TheBear

Thagomizer said:
What boss are you on now? I need to get my Faith requirement down for Sunbros and It'd be nice to have a guaranteed help-ee. You're on 360 right?

For what it's worth, I also have the Cat Covenant ring on at the same time as I have a summon sign down, and sill nothing. I take it Thursday's a dead night for DkS.

I'd appreciate the help but unfortunately I'm on PS3 :(

Finalow

See You Next Wednesday said:
ffffuuuuuuuuuu....

Nowhere else?

How about Rubbish? Any enemies drop them, I can use the Snuggly glitch to get Chunks out of it.
well yes, you can use that glitch too.

x3r0123

tokkun said:

use a weaker weapon and reduce your equip load

Haunted said:
Lightning Spear, Eagle Shield, Havel's helmet and the gold-hemmed set.

Don't know how many people I've seen rocking that set at that point in the game (and a couple hours later, still). Nerfing these to make other combinations more viable/visible is good.

i didnt use the gold-hemmed set when i was fighting her. In fact, the only thing that matched was the spear

Not sure where I should go now. Have Duke's, TotG and Demon Ruins left. Feel like I did them only a few days ago, which I did.

Maybe it's time for a break.

Finalow

toasty_T said:
Not sure where I should go now. Have Duke's, TotG and Demon Ruins left. Feel like I did them only a few days ago, which I did.

Maybe it's time for a break.
duke's archives are pretty easy, demon ruins + boss are a joke if you have opened the shortcut.
tomb of giants = bad place.

tha_devil

Just finished anor lando. Pyromancy makes it quite easy. Only the 2nd half of the bossfight was hard since i ran out of pyro and solaire died.

I've invaded the same guy though the Cat Covenant 3 times in a row. Whupped his ass the first time, he whupped mine the next two.

Is it just me, or does the Lignting Iatio have a range like twice the size of the actual weapon? He kept hitting me when I was pretty sure I was nowhere near his swing.

Screw this, I'm gonna go kill Sif while I'm still in the Forest Hunters

Minamu

I'm outside the last boss now. Any advice on what to do before I beat the game? I've gotten the good stuff from Snuggly and I've grinded the last area for enough chunks to get enough weapons as far as I can upgrade them in one playthrough. I kinda want to upgrade some clothes for ng+ but with the upcoming patch, I'm not sure which ones to bother with. I've been using the gold-hemmed set mostly but it seems kinda pointless to touch it up now. Should I kill every npc for kicks and items? Oh, maybe kill the smiths?

I want to kindle more bonfires to +20 but getting enough humanity is a pain. Seems wiser to grind the darkroot garden in ng+ too because of the souls increase.

Edit: I'm a lightweight bandit so I'm not really interested in upgrading heavy armors :)

Ourobolus

Banned
Goddamn, on my second night of attempting Smough and Ornstein. I finally am at the point where I can take Smough out without using more than a few Estus Flasks, but the Super Ornstein is a different beast. I think I finally figured out when to go after him, but by that time I ran out of Flasks. Oh well, I think I'll get him tomorrow night finally.

bigjimmystyle said:
Thanks for that. Not sure if I want to go Lightning or Quelaag Fury Sword. What's more powerful?

Why not do both? Seriously.
I have the Fury Sword, though it was never great for me because I capped my dex @ 20, so the scaling wasn't super helpful. Nice moveset, looks killer, and a good all around sword, especially if you like the curved blade moveset (scimitar, falchion, etc.).
My heart belongs to the Iaito though, which is why I have it in both a divine +10 (for dealing with the catacombs and Nito) and lightning +4 (need my last two slabs for trophy achivements; +15 and something I forgot...).

Ourobolus said:
Goddamn, on my second night of attempting Smough and Ornstein. I finally am at the point where I can take Smough out without using more than a few Estus Flasks, but the Super Ornstein is a different beast. I think I finally figured out when to go after him, but by that time I ran out of Flasks. Oh well, I think I'll get him tomorrow night finally.

Dude, go find/ buy some Humanity and summon some phantoms. Even if you just have Solaire in the fight as a punching bag, it's a huge help.

Ourobolus

Banned
Thagomizer said:
Dude, go find/ buy some Humanity and summon some phantoms. Even if you just have Solaire in the fight as a punching bag, it's a huge help.
I had Solaire in there once and he helped for a bit, but he doesn't survive by the time the second form comes up, and I can handle the first form easy. Also, I haven't seen ANY summon signs out there - I have 5 humanity in inventory, but there's nothing. I'm SL37, so that may have something to do with it.

Regardless, I've soloed up to this point (with the exception of Mildred for Quelaag), I think I'll be ok.

Ourobolus said:
I had Solaire in there once and he helped for a bit, but he doesn't survive by the time the second form comes up, and I can handle the first form easy. Also, I haven't seen ANY summon signs out there - I have 5 humanity in inventory, but there's nothing. I'm SL37, so that may have something to do with it.

Regardless, I've soloed up to this point (with the exception of Mildred for Quelaag), I think I'll be ok.

Are you human? I know it's an insulting question, but I didn't know you had to be human to summon until halfway though Blighttown

So, I just killed
some dude with eggs on his head in Quelaag's Domain, after you defeat Quelaag.
Is that bad? I just thought it was something blocking my path, instinctively swung my sword, and there was some "ugggh..." dialogue. He turned aggressive, so I had to kill him.

sleepykyo said:
Should have revealed that he was the behind the curse. The first undead and depowered ruler.

Interesting idea, but there's a distinction in the game between necromancy and being undead in this game. They'd have to change the lore to make it work.

Nito was still pretty underutilized, though. the Witch's
fuckup is a MAJOR part of the backstory and Seath is isolated in the Archives so his absence is justifiable, but one would think the Lord of the Dead would have a bigger role in this game-especially considering that this is a Souls game- besides "kill this dude for his McGuffin"

Thagomizer said:
Do you have anything upgraded? I had a Divine Claymore and I was taking out each silver knight in 30 seconds tops.
+4 Lightning Iaito now and a something+ Quelaag Fury Sword. I didn't have them till getting past all the archers and just bolting through the inside. I'm wearing a crimson set also that's not upgraded at all because I feel like it's not what I should be wearing.

Wallachia said:
I hear you. Kinda in the same boat. But S&O are a rad pair/battle. And did you meet the Giant Blacksmith yet? He puts some personality in the level.
Yeah, I love the characters in the game. I almost feel like Anor Londo would be better without the knights inside, it'd give it a better feel. Like this beautiful castle that's is eerie empty and stale. No life or character besides the giant knights that guard the town.

Instead it feels like the lightning imps and black knights inside are just copied and pasted.

def sim

Thagomizer said:
Interesting idea, but there's a distinction in the game between necromancy and being undead in this game. They'd have to change the lore to make it work.

Nito was still pretty underutilized, though. the Witch's
fuckup is a MAJOR part of the backstory and Seath is isolated in the Archives so his absence is justifiable, but one would think the Lord of the Dead would have a bigger role in this game-especially considering that this is a Souls game- besides "kill this dude for his McGuffin"

Their excuse was Pinwheel stole his power. So lame.

rance said:
Their excuse was Pinwheel stole his power. So lame.

I can understand that justification- frankly, there's no way in hell the protagonist
would be able to kill a full-power Nito or Gwyn- but he still should have at least been included in the backstory or at least justify why he pretty much disappears after the prologue.
I would have been happy with even a "Gwyn findeth him creepy and a total wet blanket at parties, and banish'd him to the Tomb of Giants"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom