• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
purg3 said:
anyone using the Giant's armor you can buy in Anor Londo? I'm using the chest piece, pretty good when leveled up. Weighs less than Havel's and better defense, plus it looks pretty sweet. Still using gold hemmed bottoms and hood until the patch comes through on 360, not sure what I'll move to after that.

Is there anyway to get rid of the clinking sounds of some of the heavy armor. They sound like you are hauling around a bag full of pennies.

It's so damn loud especially when an area doesn't have any music. I tried turning down the sound effects way down, but it's still noticeable.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Thagomizer said:
I can understand that justification- frankly, there's no way in hell the protagonist
would be able to kill a full-power Nito or Gwyn- but he still should have at least been included in the backstory or at least justify why he pretty much disappears after the prologue.
I would have been happy with even a "Gwyn findeth him creepy and a total wet blanket at parties, and banish'd him to the Tomb of Giants"

I was expecting/hoping that
with all the "First of the Dead" business and whatnot and how he just sort of sits in his sarcophagus all the time and how he has a whole covenant dedicated to serving him that the fight with Nito was going to be like the Old Monk in Demon's Souls and instead of fighting Nito himself a Gravelord Servant would be summoned to defend him. Would make the Gravelord Servants a much more dedicated PvP covenant than it is now, with its glitchiness and hands-off approach to PvP.

scy

See You Next Wednesday said:
Is there anyway to get rid of the clinking sounds of some of the heavy armor. They sound like you are hauling around a bag full of pennies.

It's so damn loud especially when an area doesn't have any music. I tried turning down the sound effects way down, but it's still noticeable.

clank clank clank clank clank clank

There's the stealth ring (Slumbering Dragoncrest) that nullifies all sound you make.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
Backfoggen said:
Four Kings in NG+ is impossible.
I get them down to half their health max by myself. Once it's two on one I'm done.
Ok, I thought THIS time I'll do it and just to be sure I summoned two dudes and the witch. Both dudes fell down the Abyss and died, the witch didn't attack the boss.
That's a rough fight, but I did in NG+ after a few tries. I just armored up, used Iron Flesh and gulped Estus whenever I was damaged. You can do it. I have faith in you.

def sim

ixix said:
I was expecting/hoping that
with all the "First of the Dead" business and whatnot and how he just sort of sits in his sarcophagus all the time and how he has a whole covenant dedicated to serving him that the fight with Nito was going to be like the Old Monk in Demon's Souls and instead of fighting Nito himself a Gravelord Servant would be summoned to defend him. Would make the Gravelord Servants a much more dedicated PvP covenant than it is now, with its glitchiness and hands-off approach to PvP.

That's such a cool way of doing a boss fight. It's a shame they couldn't redo it for Dark Souls without making the fight super unreliable. Hopefully the sequel goes back to dedicated servers.

scy said:
clank clank clank clank clank clank

There's the stealth ring (Slumbering Dragoncrest) that nullifies all sound you make.

At the cost of having a silly magic bubble effect on your feet!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Today is the day we go to community :)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Ugh my dead PS3. I wanted to play Dark Souls :(
Wtf happened man?

It's interesting when a ghost that pops up in game is yours. I just failed an invasion, and when I got back, I got to watch my death again.

Yoshichan

Yo Gotti said:
This is nothing to smile about :mad:
Community is the best thing on GAF. MUCH better than gaming forums :p

V-Gief

Had something REALLY funky happen just now. I used my red orb to invade at Undead Parish and I got the "Invading as a dark spirit" message... and I ended up as a white phantom in someone elses game instead haha. Glad I could help him out after having invaded him once before, but it was weird.

Thagomizer said:
So why was that plume removed from Ornstein's helmet when the player uses it? The helm looks so naked without it.

The same reason the capes were taken off the player version of Balder Armor:

From Software screwed us and gave enemy models cloth physics, but not player models. This is also why our robes and cloaks still stick to our goddamn legs in 2011.

AlphaDragoon said:
The same reason the capes were taken off the player version of Balder Armor:

From Software screwed us and gave enemy models cloth physics, but not player models.

Why couldn't it just be static then, like the silver knight's cape?

Damn from, too busy sitting around eating okonomiyaki to work on their game. I am so mad a Form

Having great fun with my lvl 100 PvP character. I'm rocking a pretty intense build. The only real trouble I've run into is TWOP. I've got ROF's in the bag for the most part unless they have a partner.

Was slaughtering a guy in Kiln that told me he was level 538. Love that the Darkwraiths have no upper invasion limit. :) Sadly he kept running away and healing and I had no humanity on me to heal.

So what are the GAF guys setting the PvP limit at on the 360? I'm sitting at 100, but I know 120 was the standard for DS. 20 more points would be great for my build :). I'm too fast, with too much health, and too much armor. lol... Sadly the skirt is getting nerfed, but I've got my replacement ready to go.

Okay, I attempted O&S twice. Second time I got O down to 25% then died. After I kill one of them I think it'll be pretty easy from there, but now I'm reading if I want O's armor I have to kill S first. That'll be harder.

Does the poise ring help at all in this fight?

Quote said:
Okay, I attempted O&S twice. Second time I got O down to 25% then died. After I kill one of them I think it'll be pretty easy from there, but now I'm reading if I want O's armor I have to kill S first. That'll be harder.

Does the poise ring help at all in this fight?

I don't think so- you should always be dodging, as Smough will often break your stance and Ornstein likes to just jump around and stab you in the ass. Go human and summon some help; it makes the fight much easier.

zsswimmer

Just got a Stone Greatsword from one of those giants in Darkroot. Apparently it's power attack is the TWOP spell :eek:

Also the wiki says this is a rare weapon so I assume this will count towards the Knight's Honor achievement?

gamelova

What's a good sword to use to upgrade to a divine weapon? I have been using Queelags Fury blade for half the game now, but I want a good divine weapon to take out the skeletons at the catacombs and tomb of the giants.

def sim

gamelova said:
What's a good sword to use to upgrade to a divine weapon? I have been using Queelags Fury blade for half the game now, but I want a good divine weapon to take out the skeletons at the catacombs and tomb of the giants.

Use Sif's soul and make the True Greatsword of Artorias by upgrading a broken hilt/sword +10. It's pretty and it works super well in those areas.

gamelova

rance said:
Use Sif's soul and make the True Greatsword of Artorias by upgrading a broken hilt/sword +10. It's pretty and it works super well in those areas.
I have the greatsword of artorias but my faith stats suck and I can't really use it until my faith is 20. I'm at 13 faith

rance said:

Alternatively, use a regular sword to get the Cursed version, which can hit Ghosts.

(You'll find an occult club that you can downgrade to Divine later anyway)

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Just farmed and hunted my way to get the Lifehunt Scythe. Too bad I don't have any demon titanite left.

I'm not sure what to think of this weapon right now. It's okay unupgraded, but the bleed effect hits me too. It also amuses me how this weapon's R2 is just as fast as its R1.

gamelova said:

You want something with sweep because skeletons like to swarm. I just made a Divine Gargoyle tail axe because it has the most balls easy R1 sweep to control (you don't shift all over the place), which is what you want in Catacombs. Alternatives might be claymore or zweihander if you can handle the STR/DEX. Otherwise just make a mace. You don't need a divine weapon in TotG from what I remember.

elty

FINALLY defeat Smough and Super charged Ornstein, solo. After like 8 failed attempt yesterday (twice with white phantom to help) yesterday. Went again today:

Attempt #1: Got BBQ by Ornstein, because I thought I can dodge by running through his leg.

Attempt #2: Got butt slam by Ornstein, because I didn't roll fast away enough.

Attempt #3: Got thunder bolted because I rolled into a wall.

Attempt #4: Dead before killing Smough.

So I switched to use magic with 18 int, 10 homing mass and 40 great soul arrow, and the fight became much easier. The faster cast time and longer rangereally helps. I don't know why it can't hit enemy in air, but Smough is pretty easy with great soul arrow. Went on to fight Ornstein, but the homing soul mass did pity amount of damage (like 160?) since I only got 2 of them with 18 INT. Fortunately great soul arrow still do 250 damage. With the help of pillars I finished the fight with 1 flask and 5 spell left.

Sorcery is just so much better in this fight. When I used fire orb it does 680 damage, but the slow cast and short range makes me miss lots of them and sometimes got hit back. At the end, Sorcery > Pyromancy, at least for this fight.

Now, looks like I am going to Ash Lake. Tried to get coop for S&O but no one summon me after half an hour.

scosher

gamelova said:

You get an Occult Club from a Mimic (in Anor Londo I believe)

You can downgrade that for 200 souls to a Divine Club +5 and that'll easily take care of Catacombs skeles.

ixix

It took me 4 tries, but I finally saw
Siegmeyer's
sidequest to the end.

Anybody else notice that
if you use the binoculars to look through the eyeslit in Siegmeyer's helmet at Ash Lake he doesn't look hollowed? Now I'm not saying Sieglinde murdered her father in cold blood or anything, but I'm pretty sure Sieglinde murdered her father in cold blood.

Akuun said:
Just farmed and hunted my way to get the Lifehunt Scythe. Too bad I don't have any demon titanite left.

I'm not sure what to think of this weapon right now. It's okay unupgraded, but the bleed effect hits me too. It also amuses me how this weapon's R2 is just as fast as its R1.

it will kill you if you use it on waves on enemies. only useful if you're fighting bigger ones every few steps. i tested it for a whole day, and it was fun to fight with. bleed effect took a huge chunk of my life away btw, about 50%. will wait until next patch and see how much they have upgraded it.

def sim

Lifehunt scythe is really fun when two handed during boss fights and PvP. It's like playing russian roulette against the world.

ixix said:
It took me 4 tries, but I finally saw
Siegmeyer's
sidequest to the end.

Anybody else notice that
if you use the binoculars to look through the eyeslit in Siegmeyer's helmet at Ash Lake he doesn't look hollowed? Now I'm not saying Sieglinde murdered her father in cold blood or anything, but I'm pretty sure Sieglinde murdered her father in cold blood.

Or they didn't bother to change the model. I'm honestly a little surprised they actually gave him a head/face and he's not just a helmet in the first place.

I know you were joking

BTW you still didn't get the good ending to his quest

ixix

Thagomizer said:
Or they didn't bother to change the model. I'm honestly a little surprised they actually gave him a head/face and he's not just a helmet in the first place.

I know you were joking

BTW you still didn't get the good ending to his quest

Really? There's a better ending? Well, hell. Looks like I got a fifth attempt ahead of me. How do you get the good ending then?

ixix said:
Really? There's a better ending? Well, hell. Looks like I got a fifth attempt ahead of me. How do you get the good ending then?

at the last major stage, fighting the octopus demons, kill all but one of them, let him help out and make sure he has more than half health remaining, talk to him again when done, go back to Firelink and talk to his daughter, warp to Ash Lake, see happy family reunion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom