• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Thagomizer said:
at the last major stage, fighting the octopus demons, kill all but one of them, let him help out and make sure he has more than half health remaining, talk to him again when done, go back to Firelink and talk to his daughter, warp to Ash Lake, see happy family reunion

But that's what I did. Sad emoticon.

The whole quest sequence I went through was:

1. Talked to Daddy Onion outside Sen's Fortress.
2. Talked to Daddy Onion inside Sen's Fortress.
3. Talked to Daddy Onion in Anor Londo, before and after beating the Silver Knights.
4. Talked to Daddy Onion at Firelink Shrine and told him I was the one who opened Sen's Fortress.
5. Killed the golden golem at the Duke's Archive and talked to Daughter Onion.
6. Talked to Daughter Onion at Firelink Shrine.
7. Talked to Daddy Onion in Blighttown and gave him some moss.
8. Went to Lost Izalith, fell down the hole, killed all but one of the acid-sprayer jerks in the pit, reduced the last one to almost no HP, then talked to Daddy Onion, who jumped in and immediately killed the last one without taking a hit. Talked to him and he fell asleep standing up after asking why I hadn't run away and saying he was indebted to me yet again.
9. Talked to Daughter Onion at Firelink Shrine, she thanked me and said some ominous stuff about telling Daddy Onion her mother's dying words and oh my word how she would hate to have to kill him again.
10. Went to Ash Lake where OH MY GOD PATRICIDE.

Where did I go wrong?

TheBear

killertofu said:
Goddamnit I really hate this fucking Capra Demon. I keep getting cornered.

Whilst I can comfortably beat the piss out of him now, finally beating the Capra Demon was an exhilarating experience. I believe I let out a "FUCK YOU YOU CUNT MOTHERFUCKER!" at the top of my lungs along with a few fistpumps. This game.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
New EpicNameBro video is up.

ixix said:

3. Talked to Daddy Onion in Anor Londo, before and after beating the Silver Knights.
4. Talked to Daddy Onion at Firelink Shrine and told him I was the one who opened Sen's Fortress.
8. Went to Lost Izalith, fell down the hole, killed all but one of the acid-sprayer jerks in the pit, reduced the last one to almost no HP, then talked to Daddy Onion, who jumped in and immediately killed the last one without taking a hit. Talked to him and he fell asleep standing up after asking why I hadn't run away and saying he was indebted to me yet again.
9. Talked to Daughter Onion at Firelink Shrine, she thanked me and said some ominous stuff about telling Daddy Onion her mother's dying words and oh my word how she would hate to have to kill him again.

Where did I go wrong?

I have no idea. That quest is notoriously picky in its triggers. Maybe move step 7. up to 5.?

Eusis

Thagomizer said:
I have no idea. That quest is notoriously picky in its triggers.
Wait, you were being serious about the
happy ending? I thought you were messing with him. Certainly the ending fits with the game's overall tone.

elty

Do anyone use moonlight butterfly horn? Does it has at least longer range than regualr spear because the stat looks pretty horrible. Enchanted spear is 144/148 and the horn is 0/180 and enchanted actually scales better?

ixix said:

Where did I go wrong?

I've had this happen twice, my fault both times was in that I killed the octopus in the pit before he did enough damage to it in fear that he would take too much damage and I'd get the medium ending (I say medium cause the reward is still great, but you can't kill him and take the other reward as well [or be happy they both made it]).

Small Mailman said:
how do i use the pyromancy spell i just picked up in Blight Town? What stat needs to be at what number?

There are no stat requirements for pyromancies. You just attune the new spell to a slot the next time you're at a bonfire.

elty said:
Do anyone use moonlight butterfly horn? Does it has at least longer range than regualr spear because the stat looks pretty horrible.

That weapon is poopoo. Break it down to a + 10 and make the Dragonslayer spear, it's much better.

Small Mailman said:
I did that, no dice. Its blacked out on the menu.

Is it the chaos fireball or some other chaos spell? Those usually require two slots to attune. It took me awhile to figure that out my first time too.

corrosivefrost said:
Is it the chaos fireball or some other chaos spell? Those usually require two slots to attune. It took me awhile to figure that out my first time too.
It's 'Power Within'. I guess it's not that good since you trade your health for a 40% damage boost but I just wanted to try it out.

ixix

Thagomizer said:
I have no idea. That quest is notoriously picky in its triggers. Maybe move step 7. up to 5.?

I'm pretty sure that
he doesn't show in Blighttown until after Sieglinde is rescued. I looked for him twice before heading to the Archive. Maybe if I talk to him in Blighttown after rescuing Sieglinde, but before talking to her at Firelink? She did disappear after I talked to her there.

corrosivefrost said:
I've had this happen twice, my fault both times was in that I killed the octopus in the pit before he did enough damage to it in fear that he would take too much damage and I'd get the medium ending (I say medium cause the reward is still great, but you can't kill him and take the other reward as well [or be happy they both made it]).

Hmm. Could there be a minimum amount of damage he has to do to the enemies? The last one was basically at death's door when he jumped down. He definitely got the final blow in, I didn't even jump down until after he had killed it.

Damn these onions. They're going to be the death of me.

Small Mailman said:
It's 'Power Within'. I guess it's not that good since you trade your health for a 40% damage boost but I just wanted to try it out.

That's strange -- I got 2 copies of it, I think, but never used it once (never even attuned it)... According to the wiki, it only takes one slot, so I don't know why you wouldn't be able to use it. Sorry, maybe someone else can help?

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/power-within

I know with some of the sorcery spells you can only use them if your catalyst is in a particular hand or your weapon is a specific type.

Edit: Now that I think about it, do you have any buffs active? Because it probably counts as a buff and is much like the reason you can't use something like Iron Flesh if transient curse is active.

sleepykyo

I know the blue shield up arrow symbol is either magic/defense up, but what's yellow shield up for?

Gargoyle Tail Axe and Seeking Guidance have that symbol.

ixix said:
I'm pretty sure that
he doesn't show in Blighttown until after Sieglinde is rescued. I looked for him twice before heading to the Archive. Maybe if I talk to him in Blighttown after rescuing Sieglinde, but before talking to her at Firelink? She did disappear after I talked to her there.

Hmm. Could there be a minimum amount of damage he has to do to the enemies? The last one was basically at death's door when he jumped down. He definitely got the final blow in, I didn't even jump down until after he had killed it.

Damn these onions. They're going to be the death of me.

I just gave him the moss in Blighttown and I haven't even placed the Lordvessel yet.

ixix

Thagomizer said:
I just gave him the moss in Blighttown and I haven't even placed the Lordvessel yet.

So shocked am I by this revelation that no fewer than three exclamation points can properly convey my surprise:

!!!

I definitely checked for him twice. Once immediately after Anor Londo and once after placing the Lordvessel but before going to the Duke's Archive. I had finished the Tomb of Giants and New Londo before the second check, but I doubt that has anything to do with it. After the Duke's Archive he was there, though. Just a narcoleptic walking onion big as you please hanging out in the swamp like it was a thing to do.

Ghost_Protocol said:
It's kind of incredible how good the voice acting is in this game.

You, You MONSTER! The Fair Lady! What have you done? WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!? * Horrifically anguished weeping*

If those two characters don't make you feel like a terrible person for killing them, you are completely dead inside.

Dresden

a: Dragonslayer bow kinda sucks. There's a huge disconnect between how it handles, how it fires, the size and power of it, the length of the shaft flying towards the target - then it hits and it's like 100 points of damage at +5.

b: Bows all really suck right now. Even composite. Elemental damage being bugged on bows doesn't help.

c: Elemental crossbows are the only way to go.

maomaoIYP

x3r0123 said:
he says that the 4kings homing missile nuke is mostly unavoidable? what? i dodge them all the time

Are you serious? How do you dodge them? I've never even managed to do it even once. Four kings is by far my least favourite boss fight.

So I finished the game,
I linked the fire, and watched the cut scene and hoped for a small narrative to tell the ramifications of what I did. But I never got one, is there any way to find out about the aftermath of that ending or the other one? Or can I just speculate about it?

Dark Phoenix said:
So I finished the game,
I linked the fire, and watched the cut scene and hoped for a small narrative to tell the ramifications of what I did. But I never got one, is there any way to find out about the aftermath of that ending or the other one? Or can I just speculate about it?

Both endings are deliberately left vague. On the plus side, From actually owns this IP, so we might get a sequel/prequel!

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Small Mailman said:
Do you have a pyro glove? I don't think I was able to attune pyro spells until I got one.

Eusis

Dresden said:
a: Dragonslayer bow kinda sucks. There's a huge disconnect between how it handles, how it fires, the size and power of it, the length of the shaft flying towards the target - then it hits and it's like 100 points of damage at +5.
I've mainly found the Dragonslayer bow useful against the Hellkite. Otherwise it's not significantly enough better than other bows to go after due to the equip burden making it too heavy to keep on the offhand.

ixix

Dark Phoenix said:
So I finished the game,

The game is enormously ambiguous about the consequences of your actions at the end. There's tons of info spread throughout the game in conversations and item descriptions and such that hint at what's going down, that imply what the results of your actions will be and why various peeps want you to do certain things, but it never out and tells you anything.

I find it simultaneously aggravating and endearing.

Eusis

ixix said:
The game is enormously ambiguous about the consequences of your actions at the end. There's tons of info spread throughout the game in conversations and item descriptions and such that hint at what's going down, that imply what the results of your actions will be and why various peeps want you to do certain things, but it never out and tells you anything.

I find it simultaneously aggravating and endearing.
While I'd prefer more of a sense of closure it IS kind of nice how, technically, neither ending is inherently the good or evil ending, at most it's light/fire and dark endings.

Eusis said:
While I'd prefer more of a sense of closure it IS kind of nice how, technically, neither ending is inherently the good or evil ending, at most it's light/fire and dark endings.

I find the lack of hand-holding to be quite refreshing. It's very, very rare that a video game story doesn't talk down to its audience and spoonfeeds them the "correct" morality.

I honestly think that, if the focus was more on the politics and gambits and less on the combat, Dark Souls could make a very good novel. A fleshed out Gwyn and the Lords, Kaathe, and the Dragons would be awesome.

Ghost_Protocol said:
It's kind of incredible how good the voice acting is in this game.

Some is good; some is horrible. Vamos in particular. My god, it sounded like a 64kbs wav file. :(

Small Mailman said:
Never even heard of that. Where can I find one?

You talk to one of the pyros and they should give you one. The dude you rescued in the depths (stuck in a jar) or the attendant of the Chaos Covenant leader (but for him you have to get an egg-head first).

x3r0123

maomaoIYP said:
Are you serious? How do you dodge them? I've never even managed to do it even once. Four kings is by far my least favourite boss fight.

those things move really slow and all you have to do is time your rolls or just circle around the king slowly. Of course, i melee them so i dont know how range players goes

Eusis

corrosivefrost said:
Some is good; some is horrible. Vamos in particular. My god, it sounded like a 64kbs wav file. :(
Assuming it's intentional I like the sound to his VA. Does come off as kind of mechanical, but I guess they're trying to convey the effect that
being a skeleton he's not going to sound like every other character.

Haunted

Good night, sweet prince.

Expect a lot of the same names and a much narrower breadth of players in here from today on. Happens to all the threads sent to die in the community forum.

See you in the SC2 thread, Yoshi.

Eusis said:
Assuming it's intentional I like the sound to his VA. Does come off as kind of mechanical, but I guess they're trying to convey the effect that
being a skeleton he's not going to sound like every other character.

I appreciate what they were striving for -- but the *quality* of the sample always sounded off to me. I took great pleasure in slaughtering him in my first playthrough.

AlphaDragoon said:
The same reason the capes were taken off the player version of Balder Armor:

From Software screwed us and gave enemy models cloth physics, but not player models. This is also why our robes and cloaks still stick to our goddamn legs in 2011.

I never noticed this glaring oversight.

What a screw job.

Mindlog

Is this the official, Dark Souls Community Move Vigil?

I really miss a world tendency equivalent.
I might start work on a lvl 70 sorc. Trying to decide on points is tough.

maomaoIYP

x3r0123 said:
those things move really slow and all you have to do is time your rolls or just circle around the king slowly. Of course, i melee them so i dont know how range players goes

Whenever I try to roll around the kind I eat his blade attacks. Or worse, that giant explosion or the grab. The grab seems to do less damage than the homing missile though, or maybe I was just consoling myself.

Thagomizer said:
You, You MONSTER! The Fair Lady! What have you done? WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!? * Horrifically anguished weeping*

If those two characters don't make you feel like a terrible person for killing them, you are completely dead inside.

i watched a video of that. i know now that i can't do that in my game, ever.

corrosivefrost said:

it's 100% intentional. sounded great to me.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Fong Ghoul said:
So, I just killed
some dude with eggs on his head in Quelaag's Domain, after you defeat Quelaag.
Is that bad? I just thought it was something blocking my path, instinctively swung my sword, and there was some "ugggh..." dialogue. He turned aggressive, so I had to kill him.
Poor Eingyi...

Can anyone recommend a good early grinding spot?
I've beaten Capra and Butterfly, but can't beat Gaping Dragon yet.
Where should I go around here? In the depths? Killing those ice/diamond guys in the Basin? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom