• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
UrbanRats said:
Luckily, i don't really care about the game's story, lol.

Yeah thats what happens when you try to play Dark Souls and post about Dark Souls at the same time.

Speaking of Dark Souls...

I'm doing NG+ right now and Ornstein and Smough are a pain in the ass. I didn't have much trouble with it my original playthrough because I killed Smough first, but killing Ornstein first is really obnoxious because Smough always gets in the way and ruins your opportunities to attack Ornstein .

Ok so im gonna go ahead and just spoiler my whole post, I need advice.

My character is currently level 30 warrior, but the majority of what I completed was done earlier, only now have I had a chance to gain a few levels. So basically I have completed Undead Burg etc, I have killed the Tower Knight, Armored bore, Taurus Demon, Hydra, Havel the Rock, The Moonlight Butterfly, Titanite Demon, and I have rung the first bell. I have gotten to the point now where I have no idea where to go next. I have gone up the ladder near the Hydras lake, but have died everytime by some phantom knights, and the other way by huge ass wolf type creatures. I only JUST discovered the catacombs and the area past lautric, Anor Londo. I had just never backtracked to Fire Link shrine but I did today because I was lost. However I got to Anor londo and cant kill the ghosts, and I didnt go too far into the catacombs as some huge creature nearly killed me so I just high tailed it out of there.
So... whats my next step? Where to go? In terms of story progression whats the next logical path? What levels should I be when attempting said path, and wheres the best area to farm souls? I never have more than 5k souls at any one point in time.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Mortrialus said:
Yeah thats what happens when you try to play Dark Souls and post about Dark Souls at the same time.

Speaking of Dark Souls...

I'm doing NG+ right now and Ornstein and Smough are a pain in the ass. I didn't have much trouble with it my original playthrough because I killed Smough first, but killing Ornstein first is really obnoxious because Smough always gets in the way and ruins your opportunities to attack Ornstein .
LOL yeah, that's why I always say doing it in that order is so much easier, the fat bastard just throws himself at you all day. Orn kinda sits back and lets the fatty do what he wants.

QisTopTier said:
the Pygmy represents humanity thus was human and died, kaath pretty much wants you to end the age of gods and let humanity take over, the good path is you taking the place of Gyn as the ruler of light oh and that kills all the hollows too. The bad end is you becoming the ruler of darkness which is the timeline that was supposed to happen after the age of fire was over but Gywn prolonged it and thus went insane trying to prevent it. Thus not giving humanity a chance to rule. You start in a prison for a reason

Yeah I understand the age of Fire and Darkness stuff. I was just wondering what happened to the Pygmy specifically, and that explains it. What does the pendent do other than trading to Snuggly?

pseudocaesar said:

My character is currently level 30 warrior, but the majority of what I completed was done earlier, only now have I had a chance to gain a few levels. So basically I have completed Undead Burg etc, I have killed the Tower Knight, Armored bore, Taurus Demon, Hydra, Havel the Rock, The Moonlight Butterfly, Titanite Demon, and I have rung the first bell. I have gotten to the point now where I have no idea where to go next. I have gone up the ladder near the Hydras lake, but have died everytime by some phantom knights, and the other way by huge ass wolf type creatures. I only JUST discovered the catacombs and the area past lautric, Anor Londo. I had just never backtracked to Fire Link shrine but I did today because I was lost. However I got to Anor londo and cant kill the ghosts, and I didnt go too far into the catacombs as some huge creature nearly killed me so I just high tailed it out of there.
So... whats my next step? Where to go? In terms of story progression whats the next logical path? What levels should I be when attempting said path, and wheres the best area to farm souls? I never have more than 5k souls at any one point in time.

Go to Lower Undead Burg, accessible near the tower with the Taurus Demon, get the Key to the Depths from the Boss and continue from there.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Completely reversed for my sorceress... Smough is always the one chillin' in the back while Ornstein is a crazy aggressive fucker :(

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
pseudocaesar said:

Remember that locked door RIGHT AFTER you beat taurus. there ya go :p

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Sweet mother of God! I just checked my mail and saw that they sent me the (hardcover) guide yesterday! So that means it should arrive today, in about 1-2 hours! YES, SO FUCKING HYPED!!!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Mortrialus said:
Yeah I understand the age of Fire and Darkness stuff. I was just wondering what happened to the Pygmy specifically, and that explains it. What does the pendent do other than trading to Snuggly?
Gives you more humanity at random... jk im trolling it does jack shit. But you can hold it tight and LET IT COMFORT YOU. afk using cast light and binoculars on gwynevere

QisTopTier said:
LOL yeah, that's why I always say doing it in that order is so much easier, the fat bastard just throws himself at you all day. Orn kinda sits back and lets the fatty do what he wants.

Yeah. I realized that with so little opportunity for attack, and how much risk there is when attacking when trying initiate Lightning Smough that I switched to a poking stick, which I have never previously done. I didn't have any good poking sticks though, but I was able to whittle way Ornstein's health with little trouble, even though I think phase 1 took at least 10 minutes.

I also like how they absorb each other's power after you kill one of them. It shows how little respect they have for one another.

F!ReW!Re

pseudocaesar said:

First of all that area you are describing as Anor Londo is actually called New Londo Ruins which is a totally different area. I also find it a bit weird that you haven't backtracked to Firelink shrine before because that's where most npc merchants gather and you have a bonfire that is already kindled (providing you with 10 etrusk flasks) And you can upgrade your estrusk flask at the woman behind the bars at Firelink Shrine.

I would stay away from the catacombs and New Londo Ruins at the moment and the forest area should also wait for the moment. First off you should go to the beginning of the bridge where the dragon is/was (on the side where the sunknight gives you the summoning stone). There should be a door there that let's you go down to streetlevel below the undead burg, finish that area and kill the boss there (good luck) after that you need to go down into the depts and that's where you will find your way all the way down to the second bell...

Good luck!

LogicStep

The only thing that makes me sad is that on NG+ the game is so damn easy it's a joke. I'm plowing through the whole game beating every boss super fast in one try. I'm just trying to platinum the game now since playing it for fun won't net me much fun. Sad because I guess the feeling of brutality of playing the game for the first time and not knowing what to expect is gone. :( It was awesome experience that's for sure.

Anyone feel the same?

Yoshichan

zazrx said:
Anyone feel the same?
Yes sir, it's surely a pity but I'll never forget the first experience that this game gave me :)

This is another reason why I think DS > DkS. Even in NG+++++++++++++++++++++ it was still difficult. At least with my build

zazrx said:
The only thing that makes me sad is that on NG+ the game is so damn easy it's a joke. I'm plowing through the whole game beating every boss super fast in one try. I'm just trying to platinum the game now since playing it for fun won't net me much fun. Sad because I guess the feeling of brutality of playing the game for the first time and not knowing what to expect is gone. :( It was awesome experience that's for sure.

Anyone feel the same?

Once you hit
Sen's Castle
I think mob Health jumps up. Because after that I wasn't tearing through bosses the way I had previously.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Yoshichan said:
Yes sir, it's surely a pity but I'll never forget the first experience that this game gave me :)

This is another reason why I think DS > DkS. Even in NG+++++++++++++++++++++ it was still difficult. At least with my build
Sorry but neither game is harder in NG plus, it's pretty much the same. You just cant get hit. Guess what game besides flamelurker is harder to NOT get hit in on some of these boss fights.

Besides a 40% damage boost is all it is. The ai doesn't really change :p

The problem with this game is that you have all that DS exp to back you up as well.

Then again I play faith in both games. So I'm straight up broken for pve no matter what.

zazrx said:
I already cleared Anor Londo lol

I guess I've just outgrown the Gravelord Sword+5. I still haven't upgraded it and its worked very well damage wise up until there. I've got 50 Strength and 24 Dexterity. What should I be using at this point?

Yoshichan

QisTopTier said:
Sorry but neither game is harder in NG plus
I said for MY BUILD. Deal with it :p 40% damage boost is a lot when you have 9 vitality throughout 10 new game +'s.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Ok the crystal area is the best pvp zone ever for faith LOL

edit: YESSS ANGRY MESSAGES! haha people bitching about tranquil walk. That's not even what killed him XD I god's wraith, flip, back stab during guard break

Yoshichan said:
I said for MY BUILD. Deal with it :p 40% damage boost is a lot when you have 9 vitality throughout 10 new game +'s.
50 vit doesn't mean much at that point either XD

V_Arnold

Yoshichan said:

Well, dude, feel free to create a hard NG+ experience with YOUR BUILD! Make it a weak build intentionally :p

Yoshichan

V_Arnold said:
Well, dude, feel free to create a hard NG+ experience with YOUR BUILD! Make it a weak build intentionally :p
That's my sorceress (second character) :lol Starting vitality and in NG++, I still take a couple of hits which is enough for me so that I can flask myself up :p

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Yoshichan said:
That's my sorceress (second character) :lol Starting vitality and in NG++, I still take a couple of hits which is enough for me so that I can flask myself up :p
The heck? I had a level 200 character get taken 1/3rd of their life off on ng plus 1 *I cheated before rerolling to see the scaling on true astoria's* and that was at 50 vit. From a starter town zombie

KAOz

Short bus special
Shit, the game really becomes easier when you know everything. Plus, NG+ ain't that much harder.

Took me 20 minutes from start to ring the first bell. Yeah, quite a time difference. Was also unlocking the shortcuts so... weird.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
KAOz said:
Shit, the game really becomes easier when you know everything. Plus, NG+ ain't that much harder.

Took me 20 minutes from start to ring the first bell. Yeah, quite a time difference. Was also unlocking the shortcuts so... weird.
Yeah, the main thing that sucks up the most time is the caution you need the first time you play Oh and pvp and farming. Oh and helping people.

bathala

Banned
FUCK IT. been trying for 5hrs trying to kill Smough First

Killed Ornstien first - not even a single death or flusk. oh well

Yoshichan

PVP is where it's at!

bathala said:
FUCK IT. been trying for 5hrs trying to kill Smough First

Killed Ornstien first - not even a single death or flusk. oh well

I find that very interesting because the first time I played through the game, I killed Smough first with little difficulty, but in NG+ I had a lot of problems killing Ornstein first because Smough tends to get in the way of attacking Ornstein because Smough is so much more aggressive than Ornstein.

bathala said:
Secret ending needs to be snoo-snoo with Gwynevere

Hate to break this to you man but
she's an illusion created by Gwyndolin. Snu Snu with Priscilla instead. She isn't an evil illusion.

Yoshichan

Yay, I love people who teleports in PvP :) Can't get enough of it!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Mortrialus said:
I find that very interesting because the first time I played through the game, I killed Smough first with little difficulty, but in NG+ I had a lot of problems killing Ornstein first because Smough tends to get in the way of attacking Ornstein because Smough is so much more aggressive than Ornstein.

she's an illusion created by Gwyndolin.
I'd take snoo snoo with Priscilla :D

V_Arnold

Yoshichan said:

That sounds horrible, considering that my 25-30 vit char can NOT take too many hits in New Game non-plus from the hollow+torch enemies, for example. Scaling bug? Perception issue? +20% endurance ring with +phys def ring? :D Or your armor is so godlike? ;)

F!ReW!Re said:
First of all that area you are describing as Anor Londo is actually called New Londo Ruins which is a totally different area. I also find it a bit weird that you haven't backtracked to Firelink shrine before because that's where most npc merchants gather and you have a bonfire that is already kindled (providing you with 10 etrusk flasks) And you can upgrade your estrusk flask at the woman behind the bars at Firelink Shrine.

I would stay away from the catacombs and New Londo Ruins at the moment and the forest area should also wait for the moment. First off you should go to the beginning of the bridge where the dragon is/was (on the side where the sunknight gives you the summoning stone). There should be a door there that let's you go down to streetlevel below the undead burg, finish that area and kill the boss there (good luck) after that you need to go down into the depts and that's where you will find your way all the way down to the second bell...

Good luck!
Mortrialus said:

Go to Lower Undead Burg, accessible near the tower with the Taurus Demon, get the Key to the Depths from the Boss and continue from there.
QisTopTier said:
Remember that locked door RIGHT AFTER you beat taurus. there ya go :p
Wow, easy as, thanks guys

bathala

Banned
Mortrialus said:

she's an illusion created by Gwyndolin. Snu Snu with Priscilla instead. She isn't an evil illusion.
ah crap I quoted ur reply and saw the spoiler. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

anyway Ornstein was easy because he was the aggressive and fast one so I can isolate him fast and throw some fireballs.

QisTopTier said:
I'd take snoo snoo with Priscilla :D
I dunno man that tail freaked me out. Hence she died

QisTopTier said:
:( You killed the prettiest thing in the game!! ...... T.T I did too

So did I but damn I felt bad about it afterwords.

bathala said:
ah crap I quoted ur reply and saw the spoiler. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

anyway Ornstein was easy because he was the aggressive and fast one so I can isolate him fast and throw some fireballs.

I dunno man that tail freaked me out. Hence she died

Totally not my experience with the fight. Ornstein tends to hand back. Smough always charges you.

Also, kill Gwynevere and see what happens.

bathala

Banned
so... I killed a Lautrec got firekeeper soul. So I was cool upgrade my flusk from Anor Londo's keeper
Warp to Firelink
Anastasia time to revive.... DEAD
searched internet. Firekeeper Soul IS Anastasia

great ruined. oh well Lautrec armor

Finalow

bathala said:
so... I killed a Lautrec got firekeeper soul. So I was cool upgrade my flusk from Anor Londo's keeper
Warp to Firelink
Anastasia time to revive.... DEAD
searched internet. Firekeeper Soul IS Anastasia

at least you can warp there.

Yoshichan

bathala said:
You could just wait till you get another Firekeeper Soul...

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
22208706_m.jpg

Ok bed time! xD

Yoshichan

Pic doesn't work!

bathala said:
so i get a bad ending for this?

is there anything different if she's there beside having a bonfire and maybe upgrade flusk later>
Nah, you don't get the bad ending for that. If you revive her you get to hear her talk.

bathala

Banned
Yoshichan said:
You could just wait till you get another Firekeeper Soul...
really?

Duke's archive seems to be my only option w/o killing anybody

Mortrialus said:
Nah, you don't get the bad ending for that. If you revive her you get to hear her talk.
aaaaww. now I want to revive her now

Yoshichan

QisTopTier said:
22208706_m.jpg

Ok bed time! xD
You guys are evil as hell.

Either that, or you're all a bunch of trophy whores :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom