• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minamu

Is there a list of bonfires somewhere? I think I kindled most of them but I want to know for sure I didn't miss any really good ones :) Need to fix tomb of the giants and farm some more. Surprisingly easy to farm those skeletons.

rance said:
Save up 20,000 souls and buy the key crest from the blacksmith. Open the sealed door in the area before those stone knights in dark root garden.

To get souls quickly, go ahead and beat the gaping dragon. Don't lock on, stay close, move away when he raises his body, wait for the slam, hit head three times, run to the side, hit his butt a couple of more, watch out for the occasional butt stomp or tail swipe, and repeat. That's seriously the pattern, you won't get hit if you follow it.
Finally killed him after about 20 tries! Thanks for the help!

IrishNinja said:
...seriously, anyone else have this much trouble trying to get the channeler's trident? any pointers?
I see what you did there.

Not much you can do other than wear the covetous gold serpent ring and have as much humanity that you feel safe enough carrying on you.

Keep grinding.

IrishNinja

do we know for sure this patch is gonna fix some drop rates? wonder if its worth waiting on, not like these titamite slabs are showing up either.

IrishNinja said:
...seriously, anyone else have this much trouble trying to get the channeler's trident? any pointers?

I got it in NG++... planned on stopping before S&O to get my final trophy and then it didn't pop and it looked like I needed the trident. :|

I got the lordvessel (*FINALLY*), immediately dropped it in via Frampt, then blazed to the duke's archives. From the first bonfire, I went up with Crystal Homing Soulmass, gold serpent ring, and 30 humanity -- took 3 trips. :\

Why are you grinding slabs? If you kill Stray Demon on both playthroughs (1,2) you don't even have to bother with him on NG++ if you made sure to get the Seigmeyer questline done and receive the slab in Ash Lake.

Otherwise, everything takes 2 playthroughs, unless you waste a slab or want more than is necessary for the cheevos/trophies.

did the patch notes say they're looking into rare weapon drops? otherwise i wouldn't count on it. got my trident in 30-40 min. btw. it's just luck.

Booshka

IrishNinja said:
For some people it took hours to get, for me I got it on my first farming run, total luck. As long as you have a quick run to kill those two in Duke's Archives, there isn't much else I can tell you. Load up your Humanity if you can, stop at 30, but it'll help along with the Covetous ring of course.

Booshka said:
For some people it took hours to get, for me I got it on my first farming run, total luck. As long as you have a quick run to kill those two in Duke's Archives, there isn't much else I can tell you. Load up your Humanity if you can, stop at 30, but it'll help along with the Covetous ring of course.

I found it faster/easier/safer to just farm the one then warp back to the bonfire at the start of duke's archives.

Booshka

corrosivefrost said:
I found it faster/easier/safer to just farm the one then warp back to the bonfire at the start of duke's archives.
That sounds good, I didn't have the Homeward spell, and was limited with Bones so I would just get the two then jump down on shelves to get back to the bonfire.

Edit: or at least that was my plan until I got it first try

IrishNinja

corrosivefrost said:
I got it in NG++... planned on stopping before S&O to get my final trophy and then it didn't pop and it looked like I needed the trident. :|

I got the lordvessel (*FINALLY*), immediately dropped it in via Frampt, then blazed to the duke's archives. From the first bonfire, I went up with Crystal Homing Soulmass, gold serpent ring, and 30 humanity -- took 3 trips. :\

damn. im just being greedy cause i wanna knock out everything i can in the 1st run so the next 1.5 i'm not sweating anything past a few tails, slabs, etc.

Why are you grinding slabs? If you kill Stray Demon on both playthroughs (1,2) you don't even have to bother with him on NG++ if you made sure to get the Seigmeyer questline done and receive the slab in Ash Lake.

Otherwise, everything takes 2 playthroughs, unless you waste a slab or want more than is necessary for the cheevos/trophies.

i was grinding with the darkwraiths in new londo ruins, but the drop rate for slabs seems so horrible that i didnt wanna recreate my demons' experience with pure bladestone - ive got my straight trophy, just need 1 for lighting (i can get it play # 2, true) and was thinking about finishing off this elite knight armor to +10 but it's not really that important.
gonna go look up your Seigmeyer questline, didnt know that could yield one.

Augemitbutter said:
did the patch notes say they're looking into rare weapon drops? otherwise i wouldn't count on it. got my trident in 30-40 min. btw. it's just luck.

see, over in the patch thread, i wanna say there was something about the drop rates, was hoping to see if anyone else read that too.

at the very least, my dex build with a good bow & iaito +15 are looking to get some justice post-patch, so fuck farming these harpies for souvenirs, ima start invading on NG+!

IrishNinja said:
damn. im just being greedy cause i wanna knock out everything i can in the 1st run so the next 1.5 i'm not sweating anything past a few tails, slabs, etc.

i was grinding with the darkwraiths in new londo ruins, but the drop rate for slabs seems so horrible that i didnt wanna recreate my demons' experience with pure bladestone - ive got my straight trophy, just need 1 for lighting (i can get it play # 2, true) and was thinking about finishing off this elite knight armor to +10 but it's not really that important.
gonna go look up your Seigmeyer questline, didnt know that could yield one.

see, over in the patch thread, i wanna say there was something about the drop rates, was hoping to see if anyone else read that too.

at the very least, my dex build with a good bow & iaito +15 are looking to get some justice post-patch, so fuck farming these harpies for souvenirs, ima start invading on NG+!

Considering you need to do most of a playthrough (complete) for the second game (NG+) to at least get additional copies of souls like Gwyndolin, doing some of the more optional stuff wasn't bad again since you know where everything is (much like Demon's Souls). My PBS farming experience will NEVER be recreated again if I can help it, so when I did the math for the trophies and figured out I only needed 3 slabs of regular titanite and I could get them easily between two playthroughs, it was a no brainer not to farm the anemic darkwraiths; for all I've killed, they've never dropped a slab and have dropped about 3 chunks.

The only item farming I did was a little for ghost blade (thinking it was necessary), a few runs for the trident, and the chunks at end of game in the kiln since they're guaranteed drops. :)

Good to see more love for Iaito to. :brofist:
I have a lightning Iaito+4, a divine Iaito+10 and it's cousin the Washing Pole +15 I use with CMW. :D

JVIDICAN

Channeler trident dancing around a sparkling stone, completely naked aside from a Big hat.
Life doesn't get better than this. <3
Especially awesome when invaders join in on the mad dancing. lol.

IrishNinja

yeah, corrosive, i guess you're right - long as i learn where the other color slabs are, im good by playthrough # 3, even for sunlight medals. only concern left...

toasty_T said:
Miracle trophy is kicking my ass. Can't get any souvenir of reprisals at this level.

what SL you at? im near 100, definitely gonna grind a bit up at the endgame but hoping to not lock myself out of too much. you using the blue eye in andor londo or anywhere else? hopefully the patch will fix some of these issues, i hear the harpy drop rate is horrific.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck Ornstein and Smough =(

Get so close, but need like 1 or 2 more flasks and would have it. Have tried both Super-Smough and Super-Ornstein...

Any places to get humanity in Anor Londo?

tokkun

IrishNinja said:
what SL you at? im near 100, definitely gonna grind a bit up at the endgame but hoping to not lock myself out of too much. you using the blue eye in andor londo or anywhere else? hopefully the patch will fix some of these issues, i hear the harpy drop rate is horrific.

I have been using the Darkmoon Covenant Ring at SL100 to get souvenirs. The battles are generally pretty tough since the people in Dark Anor Londo are usually experienced in PvP and kitted out for it (not to mention the people using cheese/exploits). But you will slowly collect souvenirs that way. Even if you are terrible, odds are you'll get one from some other invader killing the host while you're also invading.

Blue Eye Orb is not successful for me. I've only ever had that work for two invasions out of probably 50+ attempts. And I'm definitely not resorting to farming harpies; I'll do the covenant the way the designers intended.

tokkun

corrosivefrost said:
The only item farming I did was a little for ghost blade (thinking it was necessary), a few runs for the trident, and the chunks at end of game in the kiln since they're guaranteed drops. :)

I had to do a lot of farming for Silver Knight Spear. Probably killed about 75 of them with full-on item-finding before I got a drop. Yet I got Ghost Blade on my first try, so it's a shame it's not actually needed.

IrishNinja said:
I'm getting plenty of hits in PVP but everyone seems to have backup at SL 120.

Very rare that I catch anyone solo. Only managed to get 4 so far

The blue eye orb gets me a hit in a couple minutes max depending on the time of day. The ring not nearly as often.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Atomski said:
Game feels so barren now. I see less messages, less people running around and no one summons me. :/

Was bound the happen they messed up with the small servers and convoluted message system... tried it 10 times then just got tired of keeping a damn stone to rate a message...

IrishNinja

tokkun said:
Blue Eye Orb is not successful for me. I've only ever had that work for two invasions out of probably 50+ attempts. And I'm definitely not resorting to farming harpies; I'll do the covenant the way the designers intended.

toasty_T said:
Very rare that I catch anyone solo. Only managed to get 4 so far

The blue eye orb gets me a hit in a couple minutes max depending on the time of day. The ring not nearly as often.
I'm getting plenty of hits in PVP but everyone seems to have backup at SL 120.

is there any other way to get these? does blue eye orb work in other zones?

Blue eye only works in Anor Londo. You can get summoned with the ring from anywhere.

The downside is that you'll lose a ring slot this way but your arrival in the guilty's world isn't announced iirc.

DarkoMaledictus said:
Wow does the Good ending suck ass! Amazing game but they need to work on their ending... youtubed the bad ending and its much better!
Which is which? I'd say the better ending is the "good" one.

Xanathus

toasty_T said:
Blue eye only works in Anor Londo. You can get summoned with the ring from anywhere.

The downside is that you'll lose a ring slot this way but your arrival in the guilty's world isn't announced iirc.
This is wrong. Blue eye orb works in any PVPable map. The ring lets you get automatically summoned to invade any host's Dark Anor Londo.

The reason you guys have a hard time with the Blue Eye Orb is because the conditions for invading someone with it are incredibly strict.

Nose Master

I hate the plant people section, so I've been farting around in other areas that don't lead to instant death. "Hey, Valley of the Drakes. I wonder what's in here. ...Oh. Yeah, that makes sense." I got the sword off the giant dragon before he murdered me, is it good for anything?

Also, I was drunk and killed the knight NPC by the pots, and the vendor that sells arrows. Did I screw myself too badly?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Nose Master said:
I hate the plant people section, so I've been farting around in other areas that don't lead to instant death. "Hey, Valley of the Drakes. I wonder what's in here. ...Oh. Yeah, that makes sense." I got the sword off the giant dragon before he murdered me, is it good for anything?

Also, I was drunk and killed the knight NPC by the pots, and the vendor that sells arrows. Did I screw myself too badly?
Which dragon?

Funny about killing two NPCs drunk...

Solal

I don't get how some people can get 99 humanitys when I am at level 72 and never had more than 10 at the same time ! All in all, I guess I had a total of maybe 30 !

Do you earn a lot of them playing PvP?

Dresden

Solal said:
I don't get how some people can get 99 humanitys when I am at level 72 and never had more than 10 at the same time ! All in all, I guess I had a total of maybe 30 !

Do you earn a lot of them playing PvP?
They're exploiting a glitch.

Dresden

Xanathus said:
Actually it's surprisingly easy to stock up to 99 humanity via PVP since you earn 1 for each win, and don't lose any if you die in PVP.
With online as it is winning 99 in a row is unfeasible, assuming you can actually find 99 invasions in the first place.

Xanathus

Dresden said:
With online as it is winning 99 in a row is unfeasible, assuming you can actually find 99 invasions in the first place.
I've done close to 70 invasions over the past few days. And reread my post, you don't lose any humanity if you lose in PVP, so you don't need to win 99 in a row.

NBtoaster

:O 3x kindled flame is pretty. Did it to firelink to help out with 4 kings and just to see what it looked like.

Pinwheel was a joke, he seems like he was meant to be an early game boss but the skeletons just scare everyone away at the start.

IrishNinja

Xanathus said:
This is wrong. Blue eye orb works in any PVPable map. The ring lets you get automatically summoned to invade any host's Dark Anor Londo.

The reason you guys have a hard time with the Blue Eye Orb is because the conditions for invading someone with it are incredibly strict.

yeah? what are the exact conditions? guess i should check the wiki again...

also, Nose Master - was that the Astoria straight sword? you're gonna need that for the catacombs!

Xanathus

IrishNinja said:

also, Nose Master - was that the Astoria straight sword? you're gonna need that for the catacombs!
Invadee must have infractions, be in human form, be in the same map as you, equal or higher level than you (not sure about the level range cap), AND is not currently trying to invade someone else. Which whittles down the potential candidates to guys who are AFK, don't know that they have infractions, or guys who are just waiting for you and will gangbang you with a bunch of other players.

Solal

Leondexter said:
Probably, but it's easy to stock up on humanity in the tiny skeleton room. I gathered a little over 50 in less than an hour.

Tiny skeleton room ? Where is it please?

Btw: what's wrong with the topic? It stays in page 5 even after posting...

Eccocid

I was cursed while lingering in depths last night. Cuz of my fucking greed and try to check every corner for a treasure or loot ;_;

Had to run all the way back to bell tower to get item for curing curse. The vendor was selling it for double the price in depths heh.

Nose Master

IrishNinja said:

Sweet deal! Can it kill those ghosts?

Moonlight butterfly was a joke with the witch. Where's the key for?

kyubajin

80+ hours later I beat the final boss... didn't realise
a new bonfire appeared in the room and stepped out.
Guess I'll have to beat him again in NG+ for the other ending.

Managed to farm quite a lot of chunks in the last area, then had Frampt break them down and upgrade most of my weapons that way. Also went crystal lizard hunting in order to upgrade my Black Knight Great Axe to +5 and it's a sweet killing machine now :)

Lastly, I had the more co-op and PVP I've ever had in the last area of the game. It's like the new 4-1. The most memorable was when I got invaded by a blue phantom and he was wearing RoF. So I stood still and just bowed waiting for him to kill me only to see him remove the ring and bow back. It was an intense fight and I honoured it by not drinking estus, but in the end I died.

One last question, do all the jolly cooperation I did still help me get into the Sunbro covenant in NG+? I'm at 12 FAI...

Here the stats I finished the game with and my goals (in brackets).

Vitality: 20 (40)
Attunenment: 12
Endurance: 40
Strength: 37 (50)
Dexterity: 18 (20)
Resistance: 11
Intelligence: 9
Faith: 12

Wearing Smough's set, Ring of F&P and Havel's ring. However with 40 END + F&P I'm at 88.8 equip load so might as well keep using my trusty upgraded Black Iron set later on.

kyubajin said:
One last question, do all the jolly cooperation I did still help me get into the Sunbro covenant in NG+? I'm at 12 FAI...

Yeah, the sunbro stuff carries over. Was able to join with a similar faith to you at the start of NG+.

And I see the threads finally been moved to Blighttown.

Xanathus

Kweh said:
I've been using it all the time. What do you meant it can't do combos?
There's a pause after each attack, and then you just repeat the same attack over. Other weapons normally go through a set of quick animations. With the battle axe, you can't chain attacks on enemies, they'll tend to dodge/block out easily.

Kweh

Xanathus said:
There's a pause after each attack, and then you just repeat the same attack over. Other weapons normally go through a set of quick animations. With the battle axe, you can't chain attacks on enemies, they'll tend to dodge/block out easily.

Ah right. I picked up a Scythe in Sen's Fortress which looks pretty good, so might start using that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom