• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

K' Dash

Volcynika said:
Ok, I have two inquiries:

1. Is there a quick way to get back to the 4 kings door? I tried running through the valley of the drakes and fought my way through the knights, not sure if that's the quicker way.

2. Tips for fight against 4 kings? I'm a melee type person and I can barely do much before they all are spawning. D:

1- Enter thru firelink -> New Londo, kill first two ghosts, then make a jump to the right, you'll loose a minimum piece of health, then run to the boss, it's like a minute from firelink.

2- Iron flesh and butterfly shield is the easiest.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Volcynika said:

1. Is there a quick way to get back to the 4 kings door? I tried running through the valley of the drakes and fought my way through the knights, not sure if that's the quicker way.

2. Tips for fight against 4 kings? I'm a melee type person and I can barely do much before they all are spawning. D:

1. Take the elevator from Firelink Shrine and run across the first two wooden bridges to the area where the first two ghosts are. Run past the ghosts but instead of going up the stairs drop down from the edge next to them. This will take you to the shallow pool of water in the lower section right near the final building and the fog door. You'll aggro a Darkwraith the instant you hit the ground, so be on your guard.

2. Stick to them like glue and do as much damage as possible as quickly as possible. If you're still on 1.03 (i.e. if you're playing any version other than the Japanese version) you can use Iron Skin to cut their damage output down to almost nothing. If you summoned Beatrice to help you with the Monlight Butterfly you can summon her for the Four Kings, and having another target for them to focus on takes a lot of pressure off of you. I managed to beat them using only melee and Beatrice using a sorcerer build on NG++ without too much trouble purely thanks to Beatrice drawing their ire. She died, but it was a noble sacrifice.

Just finished a play through of Demon's Souls (17hrs, far cry from my first play through of 60+ hours). Went to go back to Dark Souls, and somehow the combat just feels 'off'. Didn't really notice it before since it had been a long time since putting any time into Demon's Souls.

Between the roll speed and the responsiveness to input commands, faster target switching/lock-on - Demon's Souls just feels like it has tighter combat mechanics.

....I'm scared about doing this.

Apparantly Snuggly will accept that ring that lets you traverse the abyss...anyone know if it's a waste of time?

Question, I play online and the game absolutely STALLS when the connection is poor. Framerate drops, game freezes completely and suddenly continues when (I assume) it finds the connection again. This never happened in Demons Souls. Anyone else experiencing it?

It's because Demon's Souls was on dedicated servers and Dark Souls is p2p.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
rogerroger22 said:
Just finished a play through of Demon's Souls (17hrs, far cry from my first play through of 60+ hours). Went to go back to Dark Souls, and somehow the combat just feels 'off'. Didn't really notice it before since it had been a long time since putting any time into Demon's Souls.

Between the roll speed and the responsiveness to input commands, faster target switching/lock-on - Demon's Souls just feels like it has tighter combat mechanics.

The target switching is being addressed in the patch. Not sure about the responsiveness, which I have noticed as well, even though I've never played Demons' Souls. They do say they're patching a bug that causes an occasional 1-second delay but I can't remember if it was for a specific input or all inputs or what.

Septimius

Volcynika said:

1. Yes. Go from Firelink. Run past the first two ghosts - actually kill them the first time you figure out where this is - and don't run up the stairs, but track slightly to the right. You'll see the pool from the lower area down there. You can jump down on a tiny ledge and take no damage at all. If you just stand around down there, you'll have 4 dark wraiths in no time, so that's not what you want. Just leg it through that house-like thing, where there are two Dark Wraiths and a ghost - just leg it to the fog gate and you should be OK.

Also, there's a considerable shortcut when you've just lowered the water. Don't take the elevator down, and go back to the house where all those ghosts are. Don't go into it, but instead look down - you should be able to drop down, basically to the fog gate.

2. As others have hinted to, poise is key. I like to not super-cheese them, but just regular cheese them, so full Havel's, then just start whacking at them. Just bring enough flasks - with high poise, they can't disrupt your healing. Do as much damage as fast as possible, and Bob's your uncle.

Septimius said:
Really don't want to offend your build here, but Resistance is the worst stat in the game.

Nah, it's fine. My PvP experiences at this level (186) have been good, so that's all that matters, really. Beyond that, I don't know. I mean, it's basically the stat that determines the rate at which your HP meter falls when you get hit, isn't it? The way I look at it is 50 res is roughly the equivalent of an extra armor set: I sport mid-weight armor and 50 res, I'm basically rocking Havel's gear without the weight. Doesn't make me invincible any more than Havel's gear would, but I'm certainly gaining those slivers of HP here and there that make a long-term difference, and I can still roll.

Or maybe I'm just rationalizing. :)

It's a beast build, though. That's all I can say. :p

ixix

NG+++ Iron Grudgematch: Iron Tarkus vs. Iron Golem. Tarkus took off about half of the Golem's HP before biting it.

I'm getting a little too attached to AI Battle Theater, I think.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Zoe said:
All OT's will eventually get moved to Community. New policy.

There really should be an index thread in the Gaming forum though.

Yeah there should be an index of OTs, and no need to split the OTs in separate threads after X many posts, it's not like it makes it any easier to find anything.

Booshka

I think the best way to make Resistance a worthwhile stat would be to add one point of Poise per level of Resistance. I think this would be a good enough boost for that stat, as it is, it's pretty worthless.

Ether_Snake said:
Yeah there should be an index of OTs, and no need to split the OTs in separate threads after X many posts, it's not like it makes it any easier to find anything.

I think it's more of a database/software issue - I know on other forums I read, threads get split up once they get too big because it causes performance issues.

Trying to make a hunter dex build, what melee weapon should I focus on upgrading first? I have a gargoyle tail axe which seems like a decent choice. I also have a longbow which I am upgrading for ranged until I have the bow of Pharis.

hey_it's_that_dog said:
The target switching is being addressed in the patch. Not sure about the responsiveness, which I have noticed as well, even though I've never played Demons' Souls. They do say they're patching a bug that causes an occasional 1-second delay but I can't remember if it was for a specific input or all inputs or what.
I hope they fix the weird backstabbing attempt bug where you unshield to backstab but your hero just sits there but as soon as you hit the shield button your character randomly swings like you queued it or something.

Septimius

NEOPARADIGM said:
Nah, it's fine. My PvP experiences at this level (186) have been good, so that's all that matters, really. Beyond that, I don't know. I mean, it's basically the stat that determines the rate at which your HP meter falls when you get hit, isn't it? The way I look at it is 50 res is roughly the equivalent of an extra armor set: I sport mid-weight armor and 50 res, I'm basically rocking Havel's gear without the weight. Doesn't make me invincible any more than Havel's gear would, but I'm certainly gaining those slivers of HP here and there that make a long-term difference.

Or maybe I'm just rationalizing. :)

It's a beast build, though. That's all I can say. :p

I did a bit of calculation in this department

I don't know how much HP is added above 40, but even considering diminishing returns, 5 levels in health is probably better for survivability than 50 levels of resistance.

You get half a point of resistance per level you gain, and in the beginning you get half a resistance per RES level you add, too. Simply put, 40 extra levels of resistance is probably 15 extra resistance (you could also get the same amount of extra resistance by constantly having 50 more humanity bound to your character, as it would add the same amount of resistance) - 15 resistance is 7 damage deducted per hit. That means, if you have 1500 HP, and you can survive 10 hits, that's 150 dmg per hit. 50 extra res means, ok, let's say 10 damage. That's 140 damage. That means you now can survive 10.7 hits. That's the virtual equivalent of 1607 HP. Isn't 100 HP about 5 levels of VIT, with no HP gear?

Note that that virtual HP is only at that damage. At 400 damage, you can survive 3.75 hits with 1500, and only 3.85 hits with 50 in the RES stat. Virtual equivalent of 1540 HP.

sixghost

Maleficence said:
Trying to make a hunter dex build, what melee weapon should I focus on upgrading first? I have a gargoyle tail axe which seems like a decent choice. I also have a longbow which I am upgrading for ranged until I have the bow of Pharis.
Pick any of the katanas and farm a bandit's knife from the undead thieves in lower undead burg.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Going through Tomb of the Giants. WTF is with this boss? The run up to him is unusually hard, and the boss himself is crazy as well.

I've put down a summoning sign next to the bonfire in the hopes that I'll get to see how other people deal with him.

sixghost

Akuun said:
Going through Tomb of the Giants. WTF is with this boss? The run up to him is unusually hard, and the boss himself is crazy as well.

I've put down a summoning sign next to the bonfire in the hopes that I'll get to see how other people deal with him.
Kill the 3 smaller skeletons as quickly as possible with a divine weapon then do whatever you can to not aggro the big skeletons. Once it's 1v1, the boss is manageable. Watch out for his left hand glowing red, it's the tell for his grab which does tons of damage and is hard to dodge. The ground blade attack, and his other sword attacks are easy to dodge, just watch out for his AoE attack,

The fastest way to the 4 Kings fog:

As you enter New Londo, go up the stairs, and then roll or jump down to your right and take the ladder shortcut. (The one that lags the game horribly for some reason.) Then run to that building that Ingward is on, go in the first door, down the stairs and then out again (or just jump across the broken stairway, if you're feeling brave). If you just jump down from there, you are standing directly in front of the fog, and you didn't have to face a single enemy, if you were quick.

sixghost

CryingWolf said:
The fastest way to the 4 Kings fog:

As you enter New Londo, go up the stairs, and then roll or jump down to your right and take the ladder shortcut. (The one that lags the game horribly for some reason.) Then run to that building that Ingward is on, go in the first door, down the stairs and then out again (or just jump across the broken stairway, if you're feeling brave). If you just jump down from there, you are standing directly in front of the fog, and you didn't have to face a single enemy, if you were quick.
The actual fastest way is starting at the Darkroot Basin cave bonfire, running past the Drake's, taking the elevator up, and you're literally right there.

Maleficence said:

Perhaps the patch will fix this, but sadly the bow of Pharis isn't all that good right now. It has the best scaling but the base damage is so low that it takes a ton of DEX before it even catches up to the composite bow.

As far as a melee weapon for DEX, other than daggers, a katana is probably the best bet. I don't know if that fits your image of your character, but an upgraded Uchigatana or Iaito +15 will be pretty sweet, especially after the patch.

Let's see... Balder Side Sword scales B with DEX and has a good overall moveset.

OH, I know what you should do. Get a scimitar or falchion, they are nice and they both scale B with DEX, and then at +10 you can upgrade it to Quelaag's Furysword which is a very solid weapon that also scales with DEX.

sixghost said:
The actual fastest way is starting at the Darkroot Basin cave bonfire, running past the Drake's, taking the elevator up, and you're literally right there.

Good point. I should have said, the fastest way from Firelink. lol.

sixghost said:

Yeah but getting to the Darkroot Basin bonfire is a hike. The above method you start from Firelink.

And I don't even use the ladder. Just run past the first two ghosts, go right, jump down to the ledge, and jump down again. That's basically right there too.

elty

sixghost said:

I guessed I am lost, I ran a few times from Dark Root basin fire place but have no idea the boss is nearby? I saw a big fog door but don't know how to get up there. I Just went in, kill a few knights, found a illusionary wall and eventually back up to the upper ruins.

sixghost

elty said:
I guessed I am lost, I ran a few times from Dark Root basin fire place but have no idea the boss is nearby? I saw a big fog door but don't know how to get up there.
When you walk through the doors that you opened, hug the left wall and you'll see the elevator room. Take it up, and you'll see the fog door down below, just roll down there.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Should I give the divine amber to the blacksmith after defeating the butterfly?

Septimius

NEOPARADIGM said:
Right on. Thanks for the link. Good work.

Again, really don't mean to be raining on your build - we all know skill is what matters in PvP, anyway :>

sixghost said:

The problem is that you still have to trek around the entire bottom of New Londo. You have to run past 5 drakes and 8 Dark Wraiths. The Ingward House is definitely the best way to get there.

elty said:
I guessed I am lost, I ran a few times from Dark Root basin fire place but have no idea the boss is nearby? I saw a big fog door but don't know how to get up there.

Yeah, you still have to walk all the way around to get up there.

scy

Volcynika said:

The Shrine is faster; there's an elevator shortcut (first building in, immediate left) or you can just drop down to the 4 Kings door near the start I believe.

Melee is the way to go. Just load up with your highest Poise/Defense armor, Grass Crest Shield on your back (+Cloranthy Ring if you have it), and then wade in while two-handed. They don't hit as hard at point-blank except for their explosion (and the grab sucks due to the time it takes for them to execute it). Don't try to range them or get too fancy on them. Just beating on them face-to-face is the easiest way to handle them.

Edit: ...lol, refresh more often.

sixghost

Septimius said:
Again, really don't mean to be raining on your build - we all know skill is what matters in PvP, anyway :>

The problem is that you still have to trek around the entire bottom of New Londo. You have to run past 5 drakes and 8 Dark Wraiths. The Ingward House is definitely the best way to get there.

Yeah, you still have to walk all the way around to get up there.
No you don't. The elevator is 5 seconds into the double door entrance to New Londo. This takes you up to a ledge right above the level with the fog door, just roll off and take minimal damage and you're right there.

It takes 25 seconds to get from the entrance to the fog door.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
sixghost said:
Kill the 3 smaller skeletons as quickly as possible with a divine weapon then do whatever you can to not aggro the big skeletons. Once it's 1v1, the boss is manageable. Watch out for his left hand glowing red, it's the tell for his grab which does tons of damage and is hard to dodge. The ground blade attack, and his other sword attacks are easy to dodge, just watch out for his AoE attack,
Nice. Thanks, that helped a lot. I almost got him this time but I aggroed the big skeletons when getting away from his AoE.

Is Beatrice any help on 4 Kings? I tried to summon her once but I didn't clear the area first and she got owned by a whole bunch of darkwraiths and then I just went on without her.

Nora Kisaragi said:
....I'm scared about doing this.

Apparantly Snuggly will accept that ring that lets you traverse the abyss...anyone know if it's a waste of time?

It's because Demon's Souls was on dedicated servers and Dark Souls is p2p.

If you are done with 4 kings and/or Darkwraiths, go for it. You don't get to keep the ring for NG+ anyways, so trade it before you go into the last area.

ixix

CryingWolf said:
Is Beatrice any help on 4 Kings? I tried to summon her once but I didn't clear the area first and she got owned by a whole bunch of darkwraiths and then I just went on without her.

Her damage output is pretty poor unless you have the good fortune to have her spam Homing Soulmass, but she's reasonably durable and draws their attention. Basically the only difference between my NG++ melee-only Four Kings fights were that the first time I didn't use Beatrice and the second time I did. First time I got swarmed and annihilated, the second time I won comfortably.

She effectively gives you a bonus 30 seconds or so to deal with them, since you'll aggro the first one, she'll aggro the second, and it won't be until the third king shows up that you'll be outnumbered. It doesn't sound like a big difference, but in practice it's pretty significant.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
More tales from the newbie cave!

Got my Uchigatana and well, I thought about making it lightning but I know you get the spear at Sen's so I decided to go divine with it - gonna need one anyways for the catacombs. It's divine +4 at the moment, great damage and swing speed.

Took down Quelaag with it and I'm at the Parish Bonfire ready to tackle Sen's! Hope I don't miss some of the sweet sweet stuff there like the lightning spear and the covetous ring.

Oh and some bastard took down the poor girl keeping alive the bonfire at the Firelink Shrine. He's gonna pay for that.

ixix said:
Her damage output is pretty poor unless you have the good fortune to have her spam Homing Soulmass, but she's reasonably durable and draws their attention. Basically the only difference between my NG++ melee-only Four Kings fights were that the first time I didn't use Beatrice and the second time I did. First time I got swarmed and annihilated, the second time I won comfortably.

She effectively gives you a bonus 30 seconds or so to deal with them, since you'll aggro the first one, she'll aggro the second, and it won't be until the third king shows up that you'll be outnumbered. It doesn't sound like a big difference, but in practice it's pretty significant.

Cool, thanks. I can totally see how buying a little extra time could make a huge difference in that fight.

Zzoram

Zoe said:
Oops, accidentally hit Crestfallen dude.

He's probably the only NPC that has no significance other than giving you tips about how to play the game, but nobody listens to his tips anyways.

matmanx1

After doing a bunch of baby skeleton farming over the last few days I have noticed that being human instead of hollow results in far less humanity drops. Anyone else experienced anything similar? For 15 straight minutes of constant farming I got zero humanity drops while in human form (with 310 item find) so I let the skeletons kill me. I came back and with the same 310 item find I got 6 humanity drops in the next 15 minute window and a full 35 in an hour.

I also managed to finally kill Nito this morning. Full Stone Armor set (100 poise) with a Divine Reinforced Club +10, Hollow Shield +10 and Ascended Pyro Flame +1. None of Nito's moves took off more than 60% of my health at once and were slow enough I could estus through them while dealing with his skeleton buddies. I mainly used the club on the skeletons and the pyro flame on Nito himself. Great Combustion and Great Fireball worked well and the only move he had that would disrupt my poise was his AoE move. I definitely think that against many bosses in Dark Souls Poise is the number 1 stat because it allows you to heal and cast while getting hit.

Now I'm going to take my 175k souls and try to max out my Pyro flame. Upgrades for it have gotten beastly expensive.

Leunam

Beat Gravelord Nito last night. Took me something like three tries. Interestingly enough, I didn't fight any of the giant skeletons the last time around in the boss room. Made the fight a cakewalk. Also, he's far bigger than I pictured him.

Septimius

Since the sound when clicking OK on the first message of the game is the same in both Demon's and Dark Souls, Demon's Souls song starts playing in my head whenever I start the game. I've probably put equally much time into both games at this point, so I should have no reason to do so, but there's just something that makes Demon's Soul's song better.

I really miss the Nexus, too. Hanging out there, thinking about what to do with my character, researching whatever stuff online. I took naps to the Nexus' song. Dark Souls? Eh.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Isn't there supposed to be a patch released yet? Or is that yet to come? I saw no prompt to download it.

Volcynika

Yay, beat 4 kings and opened the door at the LordVessel.

I want to farm some humanity but it's such a pain to get down to where the baby skeletons are. Urg.

Septimius

Ether_Snake said:
Isn't there supposed to be a patch released yet? Or is that yet to come? I saw no prompt to download it.

Only in Japan. The rest of the world has to wait, apparently.

Volcynika said:
Yay, beat 4 kings and opened the door at the LordVessel.

I want to farm some humanity but it's such a pain to get down to where the baby skeletons are. Urg.

Glitch while you still can. That's my take, anyway. Grinding give me nothing.

K' Dash

Just beat Bed of Chaos, what a cheap boss, ugh... got the sunlight maggot now to Tomb of the Giants, last lord soul left for me!

I'm so close to beat this motherfucker I can taste it.

scy

Volcynika said:
I don't know what the glitch is :x

There's an Infinite Item use Glitch with the Dragon stone; basically lets you get infinite uses of souls or Humanity.

Also, there's a glitch that lets you trade infinitely with Snuggly. Primarily useful for Twinkling Titanite, Demon Titanite, and Dragon Scales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom