• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
toasty_T said:
Miracle trophy is kicking my ass. Can't get any souvenir of reprisals at this level.

This was frustrating for me because honestly it should be one of the easier/faster objectives to get (10 souvenirs, not the trophy), but the broken multiplayer made this take DAYS to finally get 10. Basically what I did was just have 30 humanity, snake ring, and farm the Crow Demons in Painted World. I'd use the blue orb at the bonfire, if/when it failed I'd start the farming run. I'd use blue orb again a second time about half-way through the run (at the tower) as there seems to be two "zones" for it; out by the bonfire and inside. Then I'd just keep going and get summoned by luck, or pop Homeward at the end of the run and repeat.

I don't know how many runs it took of Crow Demons (HOURS) to get them all. In all that time with that system I attempted to invade well over 100 times (I can tell you with a straight face 150+, but I never kept track so can't promise that) and only successfully invaded 3 times (as in actually got a CONNECTION). And one of those times I lost, so only 2 of my Souvenirs were from actual PvP.

If you can wait it out till 1.04 I would suggest that, since it should be "much better".

NOTE: Each playthrough you can get one from killing Lautrec with the black orb in Anor Londo if you go that route. And if you chose the pendant as your gift you can trade it each game to the crow for another.

Septimius

Oracle Dragon said:
This was frustrating for me because honestly it should be one of the easier/faster objectives to get (10 souvenirs, not the trophy), but the broken multiplayer made this take DAYS to finally get 10. Basically what I did was just have 30 humanity, snake ring, and farm the Crow Demons in Painted World. I'd use the blue orb at the bonfire, if/when it failed I'd start the farming run. I'd use blue orb again a second time about half-way through the run (at the tower) as there seems to be two "zones" for it; out by the bonfire and inside. Then I'd just keep going and get summoned by luck, or pop Homeward at the end of the run and repeat.

I don't know how many runs it took of Crow Demons (HOURS) to get them all. In all that time with that system I attempted to invade well over 100 times (I can tell you with a straight face 150+, but I never kept track so can't promise that) and only successfully invaded 3 times (as in actually got a CONNECTION). And one of those times I lost, so only 2 of my Souvenirs were from actual PvP.

If you can wait it out till 1.04 I would suggest that, since it should be "much better".

NOTE: Each playthrough you can get one from killing Lautrec with the black orb in Anor Londo if you go that route. And if you chose the pendant as your gift you can trade it each game to the crow for another.

It is strange hearing things like this. I got 20 without even trying. It was just from PvPing while making my wait to the Four Kings so I could join the Darkwraiths. I've probably won 80 times total online.

pmj

I was planning on writing a post on how farming rats for humanity was impossible, as they never ever drop any, but today on the 15th run through the 6 rats near the bonfire in the Depths did I get one. That's ONE humanity from 90 rats for today, and god knows how many yesterday. And that's with the covetous gold serpent ring.

I wish I had never joined the Chaos Covenant, but now I feel forced to do this damn thing. Am I extremely unlucky, or is there some kind of limit on how many humanity you can get from a certain type of enemy, after which the drop rate goes down? I know I've got a few from rats earlier in the game.

Or are the odds supposed to be lousy?

pmj said:
I was planning on writing a post on how farming rats for humanity was impossible, as they never ever drop any, but today on the 15th run through the 6 rats near the bonfire in the Depths did I get one. That's ONE humanity from 90 rats for today, and god knows how many yesterday. And that's with the covetous gold serpent ring.

I wish I had never joined the Chaos Covenant, but now I feel forced to do this damn thing. Am I extremely unlucky, or is there some kind of limit on how many humanity you can get from a certain type of enemy, after which the drop rate goes down? I know I've got a few from rats earlier in the game.

i glitched the humanity thing. there was no WAY i was going to farm for hours on it. If you wait till the patch the drop rate will go up however.

pmj said:

If you can get to the end of tomb of the giants there are respawning baby skeletons that drop loads of humanity. An hour killing them with gold serpent ring should net you over 50 easily.

About rats, I thought they only dropped humanity if the boss was still alive and even then I thought there was a cap on it.

Gattsu25

Banned
pmj said:

Odds are supposed to be lousy on the rats.

The key thing is that the more humanity you get (and use) the more item find you get and the better the drop rates become. So farming for humanity at 0 humanity is a pain. Farming for humanity at 30 humanity is less of a pain.

You get a ring in Sen's Fortress that straight up gives you +200 Item Discovery. This helps
You get MUCH MUCH MUCH more humanity from the respawning bad guys in the room RIGHT before the boss of Tomb of the Giants.

Air Zombie Meat said:
If you can get to the end of tomb of the giants there are respawning baby skeletons that drop loads of humanity. An hour killing them with gold serpent ring should net you over 50 easily.

About rats, I thought they only dropped humanity if the boss was still alive and even then I thought there was a cap on it.

I tried the baby skeletons but every other humanity would disappear after it dropped, it seemed to fall through the floor or something, really annoying, still faster that the rats though.

Gattsu25

Banned
Maleficence said:
I tried the baby skeletons but every other humanity would disappear after it dropped, it seemed to fall through the floor or something, really annoying, still faster that the rats though.
After you kill a baby walk into its body and start jamming down repeatedly on the X/A button to pick up the drop before it is even visible.

Maleficence said:

Yeah thats the annoying part. You have to be ready to pick them up as soon as they drop or they'll disappear. So lots of hammering x while running over freshly slain skeletons.

pmj

Thanks all. I'm close to having the 30 humanity required, but I'll go for the tomb instead. Anything but killing rats will be a welcome change.

I got my platinum a few hours ago. It's funny how fast you can fly through the game once you know where everything is and are just hitting the primary objectives (and are still way overpowered early on). NG++ all I needed was Sif's soul and a visit to the Anor Londo blacksmith, only took about an hour and a half to get there from the end of my NG+.

I farmed the Ariamis harpies for Souvenirs of Reprisal for several hours a couple days ago. I had my path down so exactly, that I used it as an opportunity to farm souls as well, so I'd feel each trip wasn't completely wasted. It's not the forest, but I was making ~11k per 4 min trip. I'd hit the crowd of spear guys in the courtyard with Toxic Mist at the beginning, and they'd usually die at the same time as the four harpies on the annex roof, where I'd use Iron Flesh and then just wade into them. You can immediately go from there to the upper tower, and I'd burn the other three (or watch them fall while trying to leap at me), jump down to the bottom, kill any spear guys Toxic Mist missed (only one or two avoid it at most), and sprint back to the bonfire. Grinding for the items sucked, but it was more fun than grinding baby skeletons or forest dudes, since my pattern used a variety of abilities.

I also farmed two Titanite Slabs, because I missed both the Stray Demon slab (we killed each other simultaneously and the drop disappears when you die), and the Siegmeyer slab (my error). It took a while but I used it as an opportunity to also farm Four Kings co-op. I could have gotten slabs in NG+, but wanted to get both my shield and main weapon maxed in the first playthrough.

My baby skeleton method was to run a circle around them to get them bunched up, go a few step out of the water, then turn and overhead smash all 9 at once and immediately run in while mashing X; you'll sometimes get two or three humanities at once.

I love how slimy lower New Londo looks, like it's actually been under water for a long time. The moss just above the old waterline, the giant disgusting corpse pile, all the detail in that environment really made it memorable. Lost Izilath can die in its own fire though. Chaos Servant+2 for life.

I'm a Knight class that recently got cursed in the depths. When I went to fight the Gaping Dragon I was just too slow to get behind him and dodge his attacks. I ended up unequipping all of my armor while cursed and battling him and defeating him. Makes me kinda realize that speed is much more important than trying to tank bosses.

Septimius

I've currently started playing my tweaked character. A sorcerer to get no resistance and no faith. Man, what a sucky starting class. I thought magic was the easy-mode in this game, but I just die. I guess it's something to get used to as with everything else, but man.

I got Quelana to appear in my other playthrough with having a +0 pyro glove, not having beat Quelaag's even. Now, of course, when I NEED great combustion, she's just nowhere to be seen. I don't get what the requisite to get her to appear is. +10 might be one, but she sure is keen on popping out sooner some times.

_illmatic_ said:
I'm a Knight class that recently got cursed in the depths. When I went to fight the Gaping Dragon I was just too slow to get behind him and dodge his attacks. I ended up unequipping all of my armor while cursed and battling him and defeating him. Makes me kinda realize that speed is much more important than trying to tank bosses.

One of the biggest reasons for this is that bosses generally hit very hard (or, specifically, they hit for more than 1.5 your defenses), which renders armor moot. You won't survive much more from them, and you'll have a harder time dodging. Be either <25% or use Dark Wood Grain Ring with a shield with excellent stability, and bosses will be much more of a breeze.

Again, the only thing that's good with heavy armor is poise.

_illmatic_ said:
When I finally got Gaping Dragon after a few failures, he never even hit me. Some bosses
(Four Kings and Nito for example)
are much easier when you just tank though, Iron Flesh + Havel's gear makes you basically unkillable.

Starting up a new character. Game felt too easy with my sorcerer/pyro extraordinaire.

Thinking about doing a melee/faith build. If I wanted to do that is my best bet to start off as a cleric?

Defuser

_illmatic_ said:
I like to see you vs 4 Kings.

toasty_T said:
Thinking about doing a melee/faith build. If I wanted to do that is my best bet to start off as a cleric?

I'm doing the same right now in hopes of eventually joining the Warrior of Sunlight covenant. I started out as a Knight and its been working good so far.

Once you know where everything is, starting a new build is so much fun. I skipped through the majority of the beginning just to grab Astora's Straight Sword. Makes me powerful as hell so early on in the game.

DarkSoul520 said:
I'm doing the same right now in hopes of eventually joining the Warrior of Sunlight covenant. I started out as a Knight and its been working good so far.

Once you know where everything is, starting a new build is so much fun. I skipped through the majority of the beginning just to grab Astora's Straight Sword. Makes me powerful as hell so early on in the game.

I much preferred Astora's over Drake for my faith build, the main problem was that it takes Twinkling to upgrade and it's power comes mainly from it's static 120 damage blessing; so like the FDS, it dominates early game, but quickly becomes too weak to continue keeping. I even got it up to +5 and it was very lackluster compared to pretty much any other weapon.

I'd almost say rushing to the divine ember from Moonlight Butterfly would be better for a faith build than Astora's, the problem is such poor access to Green/White ore in early game. I'd say Astora's needs to be a lot stronger to remain appealing... either that or each upgrade should boost it much more since it needs Twinkling (or just not require Twinkling to upgrade). Things might look different in 1.04 where you buy can Twinkling, so it's loss upgrading a weapon that won't even carry in mid-game won't be so painful.

I gotta admit though, with Master Key it's quite fun grabbing Astora's and the Dragon Crest Shield and mopping the floor with Taurus and the Gargoyles ;)

toasty_T said:
Starting up a new character. Game felt too easy with my sorcerer/pyro extraordinaire.

My first character was a cleric but I really hated it. The early game miracles are all pretty useless. Who the hell is going to waste an attunement slot on the ability to see more messages? Or on Homeward, a spell replaced entirely by a cheap consumable you probably already have some of. Force is useless against larger enemies, and unnecessary against smaller ones. Even the simple Heal spell, while nice to have, is just an out-of-combat flask replacement. If Heal was faster than a flask instead of much slower, it would actually be more useful than just kindling a bonfire.

I suppose the best bet is to co-op a lot early and become a Warrior of Sunlight. Lightning Spear should give you a little breathing room when you need it. Most of the good miracles are only available after you rescue an NPC well into the game. Also, I got really annoyed by the fact that some spells which should be miracles going by their white magic effects, are actually sorceries: Remedy and Resist Curse being the two most egregious examples.

Does Painted World of Ariamis have any bonfire to wrap back? Or can you use homeward one?
You have to finish Ariamis to leave it, but don't have to fight the boss, it's optional.

purg3

slept with Malkin
In the last area now, going to farm some chunks to finish off some weapons, and off to finish the game. What a journey. Already excited to start NG+ and get the stuff I missed.

Oracle Dragon said:
I much preferred Astora's over Drake for my faith build, the main problem was that it takes Twinkling to upgrade and it's power comes mainly from it's static 120 damage blessing; so like the FDS, it dominates early game, but quickly becomes too weak to continue keeping. I even got it up to +5 and it was very lackluster compared to pretty much any other weapon.

I'd almost say rushing to the divine ember from Moonlight Butterfly would be better for a faith build than Astora's, the problem is such poor access to Green/White ore in early game. I'd say Astora's needs to be a lot stronger to remain appealing... either that or each upgrade should boost it much more since it needs Twinkling (or just not require Twinkling to upgrade). Things might look different in 1.04 where you buy can Twinkling, so it's loss upgrading a weapon that won't even carry in mid-game won't be so painful.

I gotta admit though, with Master Key it's quite fun grabbing Astora's and the Dragon Crest Shield and mopping the floor with Taurus and the Gargoyles ;)

What would you recommend me use? And the 1.04 patch really needs to just come out already.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
NBtoaster said:
:O 3x kindled flame is pretty. Did it to firelink to help out with 4 kings and just to see what it looked like.

Pinwheel was a joke, he seems like he was meant to be an early game boss but the skeletons just scare everyone away at the start.

Pinwheel's so pathetic that an NPC phantom can take him out in about 30 seconds. Even on NG++ when I summoned Leeroy and took him in there a single attack from him took off about 75% of Pinwheel's HP.

I used to think Beatrice versus the Moonlight Butterfly was ludicrously one-sided, but Leeroy versus Pinwheel is on a completely different level.

Futureman

really basic newb question, but I only had like 500 Souls yesterday and sat at a fire to check out the leveling up as I haven't messed with it yet (I'm right in the beginning, just beat the Taurus Demon). I basically couldn't level any stat up, nor did it say how many souls each stat needs to level up.

There's the "SoulsReq" thing (I think that's what it is), but it says 0 for everything. How do you know how many souls to the next level for a stat?

RyanDG

DarkSoul520 said:
What would you recommend me use? And the 1.04 patch really needs to just come out already.

Occult or Divine Claymore/Bastard Sword are my two weapons I use on my faith build, and they both work rather well, though I prefer the Claymore's moveset (1h R2 is amazing).

Futureman said:
really basic newb question, but I only had like 500 Souls yesterday and sat at a fire to check out the leveling up as I haven't messed with it yet (I'm right in the beginning, just beat the Taurus Demon). I basically couldn't level any stat up, nor did it say how many souls each stat needs to level up.

There's the "SoulsReq" thing (I think that's what it is), but it says 0 for everything. How do you know how many souls to the next level for a stat?

You don't until the patch unfortunately. Only way of knowing right now is when you have enough.

DigitalDevil said:
Is great fireball or firestorm the better pyro spell? Overall.

Great Fireball.

Fuck.

I hope Domhnall of Zena isn't a crucial NPC.

I was getting attacked while talking to him and accidentally hit him. He turned hostile of course, and I had to kill him for a lousy 1000 souls.

ixix said:
Should be fairly active. Under those circumstances the Darkmoon invaders don't announce their arrival, so you may not be noticing them. On the PS3 version some of the activity there has dried up since we've been separated from the Japanese players until our versions synch up again, but if you're on 360 I dunno what the reason might be.

I'm on 360 and I only got invaded by dark wraiths in anor lando. Maybe it's because of my covenant or something? I also killed
Gwyndolin
----OH! Maybe that's why!

Another thing I noticed is that I can now get invaded by the Forest Hunters.
I have a theory that once you kill Sif or at least encounter him you can no longer be invaded by the forest covenant, which is lame.

I camped in the forest for 24 hours before NG+'ing, nothing, then I walked in after NG+ing and I can be invaded again.

RyanDG

Nora Kisaragi said:
Another thing I noticed is that I can now get invaded by the Forest Hunters.
I have a theory that once you kill Sif or at least encounter him you can no longer be invaded by the forest covenant, which is lame.

I camped in the forest for 24 hours before NG+'ing, nothing, then I walked in after NG+ing and I can be invaded again.

Your theory there is right (about the kill part).
They are there protecting the grave. Once the grave is defiled, there is nothing left to protect.

Septimius

RyanDG said:
Your theory there is right (about the kill part).
They are there protecting the grave. Once the grave is defiled, there is nothing left to protect.

This is how invasion works in the entire game. You can only get invaded in an area where the area-boss is still alive.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Solal said:
I don't get how some people can get 99 humanitys when I am at level 72 and never had more than 10 at the same time ! All in all, I guess I had a total of maybe 30 !

Do you earn a lot of them playing PvP?

A lot of people are doing the infinite item trick...

DarkSoul520 said:

Well I can't even say there is much better TBH. On different playthroughs I had good success with an upgraded longsword and an upgraded battle axe. Don't get me wrong Astoras is a GREAT early game weapon... the problem it has is just like the FDS is becomes obsolete quickly, but unlike the FDS you use up precious Twinkling ore to upgrade it. I find until you deal with Sens, you don't get items that are really worth the investment of such a limited ore... it was better (IMO) to stick to the standard items that you could purchase ore for.

For my money, if I can deal with the Hellkite dragon (if you make it inside the gate he's guarding he leaves for a while), then there is a claymore on the bridge that is quite a nice blade indeed for upgrading. You can also have good success with the halberd just inside of the Undead Parish gates past the boar... though the R2 attack is pretty slow for my tastes.

If you have good str / pump str early you can get the Zweihander right at the start of the game with a suicide run through the graveyard. It's slow, but has a good move set and a +10 fire Zweihander is an end-game weapon... I was parry/riposte Gwyn for > 1000 damage a hit with it.

If you just want a powerful weapon to blow through early game go for FDS, though with Asotras you can squeeze one more boss out of it since you get to use it on Taurus.

K' Dash

I have 3 questions:

-Is there any EASY way to cheese the Dinos at Lost Izalith? (that doesn't involve farming a indecent amount of humanity)
-Why do I keep seeing rings of light on the floor?
-When I put my summon sign sometimes is orange/red and other times is white, why?

Thank you in advance.

K' Dash said:
I have 3 questions:

-Is there any EASY way to cheese the Dinos at Lost Izalith? (that doesn't involve farming a indecent amount of humanity)
-Why do I keep seeing rings of light on the floor?
-When I put my summon sign sometimes is orange/red and other times is white, why?

Thank you in advance.

1) Just run past them, and get to one of the buildings in the middle. You can shoot them with a bow, and they will try and attack you with jumps and sweep moves. However, unlike other enemies these guys also hurt EACH OTHER, so usually you can get a group of 3-4 and only have to deal with one (hurt) dino at the end.

2) They are for spell resonance. If you cast the magic near them it's stronger. If you cast the same spell it is even stronger again. They are supposedly where other players have used magic.

3) Not sure on that one, it should be white always unless you are in Warrior of Sunlight covenant in which case it is gold. If you have the red soapstone you will leave a red one so someone can summon you for a duel, but that's not with the white soapstone item so it shouldn't be happening except on purpose.

K' Dash

Oracle Dragon said:
1) Just run past them, and get to one of the buildings in the middle. You can shoot them with a bow, and they will try and attack you with jumps and sweep moves. However, unlike other enemies these guys also hurt EACH OTHER, so usually you can get a group of 3-4 and only have to deal with one (hurt) dino at the end.

2) They are for spell resonance. If you cast the magic near them it's stronger. If you cast the same spell it is even stronger again. They are supposedly where other players have used magic.

3) Not sure on that one, it should be white always unless you are in Warrior of Sunlight covenant in which case it is gold. If you have the red soapstone you will leave a red one so someone can summon you for a duel, but that's not with the white soapstone item so it shouldn't be happening except on purpose.

Thank you, the summoning thing maybe is related to covenants, now that you mention it :)

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Is it possible to have both a player-controlled invader and an NPC invader at the same time? I just had an invader jump me in Blighttown while Maneater Mildred was still in her death animation. I got the warning that I was being invaded before I got the notification that Mildred had been vanquished.

And on NG+++ Mildred only took off about a third of Quelaag's HP before she died. Looks like that's just too many pluses for the ol' girl to handle.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Omg not this idea of moving games to the community section just because they have multiplayer again, ugh.

Septimius

Ether_Snake said:
Omg not this idea of moving games to the community section just because they have multiplayer again, ugh.

I really couldn't agree more. If I were a Dark Souls player that didn't frequent NeoGAF for help and discussion, I'd be lost when I didn't find it under the Games section. I so rarely venture into these parts of the forum. I don't get the idea behind this.

Zoe

Ether_Snake said:

All OT's will eventually get moved to Community. New policy.

There really should be an index thread in the Gaming forum though.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Zoe said:
All OT's will eventually get moved to Community. New policy.

There really should be an index thread in the Gaming forum though.

That would be a good idea, also what's going on with the help thread? Are they going to close or merge it with this one since they are both in community now anyway.

Volcynika

Ok, I have two inquiries:

1. Is there a quick way to get back to the 4 kings door? I tried running through the valley of the drakes and fought my way through the knights, not sure if that's the quicker way.

2. Tips for fight against 4 kings? I'm a melee type person and I can barely do much before they all are spawning. D:

hsukardi

I'm about 10 hours in and getting back into the groove of it. It's definitely a Demons Souls successor.. a game I spent 98 hours on.

Question, I play online and the game absolutely STALLS when the connection is poor. Framerate drops, game freezes completely and suddenly continues when (I assume) it finds the connection again. This never happened in Demons Souls. Anyone else experiencing it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom